PDA

View Full Version : VK Requirements For F/O Now 500TT

oba_idan_amani
15th Oct 2006, 07:57
Now we can all apply to Virgin Nigeria. Going through the requirements on VK website this morning, I was very happy to see that the requirements for First Officer is now 500 hours TT. This is obviously a step in the right directions, and am sure the HR department, will be flogged with applications. Anyway, enough talk, let me go and apply, and I promise to let you guys know of my progress.

Oba Idan Amani

dynamicd
15th Oct 2006, 11:49
good news men and wish you good luck.I have got 230tt myself.from 3000 to 500 who knows it may go lower.long live the Nigerian pilot.:ok:

LongJohnThomas
15th Oct 2006, 12:13
About time.

18left
15th Oct 2006, 15:23
good news men and wish you good luck.I have got 230tt myself.from 3000 to 500 who knows it may go lower.long live the Nigerian pilot.:ok:

I also hear a cadet scheme is on its wayto ,they would have about your time on graduation ie 250 hours so why dont you apply and see what happens
good luck:ok:

dynamicd
15th Oct 2006, 16:59
18left,I have been trying to access the flight deck application on vk website,but its failing.Is it possible to send physical applications?If this is possible where can I drop the application as i am in Lagos at the moment.

thanks in advance.

bianchi
16th Oct 2006, 06:46
I went through VK Nigeria application form myself this morning and"they"clearly state that the min req for FO's is: 3000hrs with 1000hrs on jet and a ATP.

Where did you guys&girls( kittycat)saw 500hrs?

Hope this is the case for fo application requirements. :}

Springbok614
16th Oct 2006, 18:14
i don not see the 500tt requirement anywhere! is good eyesite a requirement cause i only see 3000tt for f/o.........

MercenaryAli
16th Oct 2006, 19:00
CAPTAIN
Reporting to the Chief pilot, you will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the aircraft.
To join us as a Captain, you will need:
 Airline Transport Pilots Licence
 A total of 5,000 flying hours, of which at least 1,500 hours has jet time
 Strong leadership and flight deck management skills
 Good CRM skills

FIRST OFFICER
Responsible to the Captain, you will be expected to aspire to achieve the same standards as the Captain. We are recruiting future Captains and you must be able to demonstrate good command and leadership qualities with your flying skills. Essential requirements are:
 Commercial Pilot’s Licence
 A total of 500 hours flying experience.

I hope the F/O will only get paid 10% of the Captain's salary then ?

dynamicd
16th Oct 2006, 19:27
i don not see the 500tt requirement anywhere! is good eyesite a requirement cause i only see 3000tt for f/o.........

May be you guys are viewing an old webpage or something,went up to vk ops dept at murtala mohammed airport and got a confirmation.

dynamicd
16th Oct 2006, 19:31
Does anybody know what is the pay like for a F/O at VK?

suggest you check the other vk related threads on this site and in the archives, there is a whole lot of information about pay and benefits at vk and other nigerian carriers.

putt for dough
16th Oct 2006, 19:51
suggest you check the other vk related threads on this site and in the archives, there is a whole lot of information about pay and benefits at vk and other nigerian carriers.

Well thats what I was going to say!
Just use the search function chaps and then there is no
need to clog up the forum asking the same questions
that lots of others have. Especially since this has been discussed
in depth not more then 1 week ago.

It's just a matter of common sense.

Flying Touareg
16th Oct 2006, 21:54
500TT, affirmative.
VK has been made to understand that there is a looming shortage of pilots that will happen very soon and with its plan to expand rapidly in the next coming months,hence the need to grab as much pilots as possible before it ends up with aircrafts without crew.

This is a very good development in Nigeria and we pray it is sustained.:ok:
We don suffer tire!:uhoh:

Springbok614
17th Oct 2006, 10:02
are these positions available to Nigerian citizens only? sorry if i am repateing a question already asked........

alpha-b
13th Nov 2006, 20:20
;) Hi capt simon!

I hope u'll be soon going to meet the requirements 4 VK hey.cheers

Aurispa
14th Nov 2006, 05:31
Can someone please advise why Virgin Nigeria would be looking for pilots with only 500 hours when everyone else seems to have more hours specified with twin time also specified ?:)

Comfortably Numb 727
14th Nov 2006, 05:31
500 hrs to get into an airline and every one is wandering why so many Nigerian airlines scribble aeroplanes!

B200Drvr
14th Nov 2006, 07:11
CN727,
You dont really think they are going to put a 500 hr pilot in as PIC now do you? There are many airlines including in the UK that will take a 500hr pilot. What about the MCPL they will take someone who has never flown an actual aeroplane!! and that is a JAR invention. Airline accidents in Africa and anywhere around the world, happen for numerous reasons, I cant remember one that was due to the assigned PIC having 500hrs. Infact I would put money on the fact the most of them have been high time pilots.

Comfortably Numb 727
14th Nov 2006, 12:25
B200 I see your point but think about this. Nigeria is not Europe where it is all nice and controlled. As you might know Nigeria tends to be a bit like the wild west with regards to aviation. the fact is they don't have the best safety record around. My point is that they are sticking 500 hours people in a cockpit of a jet airliner and the fact is that person just does not have a great deal of experience no matter where or how they got the 500 hours. when the dwang hits the fan chances are the captain is going to be dealing with it solo. but anyway good luck to those who get in with those hours. :ok:

V1_RHOT8
14th Nov 2006, 23:47
Dear Comfortably Numb 727,
I'm appalled and disgusted with your post. As a matter of fact after reading your post, I have a good feeling that you might be one of those "Captain shut up, watch me and decorate the right seat" Captains to First Officers, especially low time F/Os. For you to say that low time guys might not be able to help a Captain in an emergency situation makes me question your CRM skills. I mean that is if you have had any sort of CRM training.
What's the big deal about low time pilots? Don't forget that you were once a low time pilot, or did God give you 10,000hrs when he put you in this world? Heck even the great Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover, Scott Crossfield, Al Haynes and etc were all low time pilots at a point in their careers.
You said a low time guy/gal might not be able to help when the dwang hits the fan. Can you please tell me of any accident or emergency situation that this scenario happened? Better yet, which CVR transcript have you read or heard that had only the "high time" Captain's voice on it. Do you think when the dwang hits the fan a low time guy does not want to get out of it? Hence he or she just sits there while the "high time" guy/gal flies the aircraft, makes the radio calls, informs the passengers/cabin crew and goes through the checklist all at the same time. All this because he or she is a high time super Captain.
I'm really sick and tired of guys like you that have no faith or belief in low time pilots. I can refer you to numerous accidents where skilled and high time pilots/Captains made horrible decisions that had catastrophic consequences. Some classic examples are AA 1420 (American Airlines), Palm 90 (Air Florida)...how about the classic KLM 4805/PAN-AM 1736 Tenerife accident??? Captain Van Zanten was a high time guy wasn't he?
All I am trying to say is that when the rubber leaves the pavement, solid CRM practices go a long way in getting you (us) back on the ground safely (In Nigeria, Europe, Asia and etc).
The moral of this post is that you (we) should give low time pilots a chance. With a little bit of guidance and help, they will someday blossom into high time gurus like you.

Cheers,
V1_RHOT8

oba_idan_amani
16th Nov 2006, 12:04
Well said V1_RHOT8, some guys are just sad.

Oba Idan Amani

Comfortably Numb 727
16th Nov 2006, 13:59
V1_ROT8

ol' buddy ol pal. Careful you don't fall your little box now. Relax dude. Firstly I am not a captain. SecondlyI happen to think that it is great that these low time guys get a chance to fly in an airline enviroment. Thirdly NO I don't think that these guys are doing nothing in the cockpit. I am sure they are heard over the CVR screaming thier lungs out as they fly into the ground. The point I was trying to make is that mabe they need just a bit more experience before getting into a medium or large jet aircraft. If you have flown jets before you will know that when the dwang does hit the fan that things can get interesting very quickly. Granted, more so with you older models. No matter how much experience the pilot has a certain amount thier reaction will come from instinct which inturn comes from experience and also training that he may have recieved. Now a new chap may just have to deal with a situation which he has not enough experience to cope with. Hence it is left up to the boss to fix. So relax just a bit and read the post again. This time pay attention. Besides if you are the V1 from Durban RSA then my friend if I was you I would not be so quick to shout the odds.:ok:

cn 727

mike halls
16th Nov 2006, 14:06
V1_ROT8,

Just a quick word from me, I have an interview with Virgin Nigeria in
january and all I can tell you is that no 500 hour pilot that does get taken
in will fly as an FO.I have spoken to HR several times and they had mentioned
that, the 500 hour pilots will be doing more training etc etc.They have found some very skilled 500 hour pilots, which are out there but to put them in the right seat is not going to happen with virgin nigeria.I understand your fustrations but I must agree with some of Comfortably Numb 727 comments also.

take it easy guys

mike

Flying Touareg
16th Nov 2006, 15:28
VK is trying to mop up as much good low time pilots as it can due to the impending local pilots shortage in Nigeria.Like in arik, the low time pilots will not be flying the 737 till after receiving much training in turboprops around the world and have gained more hours.it is indirectly a cadet scheme if i am right.

Oban and Mike Halls i wish you goodluck in your interview and sim.:ok:

LongJohnThomas
16th Nov 2006, 16:39
CN 727,
I must assure you that 90% of the first officers currently in nigeria are well experienced with high time on large airplanes.
The few that remain, just came out of flying school a year ago or so.
If the senior first officers DO NOT SEE THE LEFT SEAT AS REALITY; how much more the 500hr kids!
"500 hrs to get into an airline and every one is wandering why so many Nigerian airlines scribble aeroplanes!"You make it sound like Nigerians are dingbats, is that what you think? Come on man, lets have it!
Its alright for BA or other airlines to takes cadets and get them to fly 757s as second officers (whatever that is!!!) straight from school, but not in nigeria?
I suggest you think what you wish to write here through before actually printing.
Does'nt sound to me like you thought that one through.

Comfortably Numb 727
17th Nov 2006, 06:58
Dear LJT

Please refer above to my reply to V1.

Have a great day

cn727:ok:

18left
17th Nov 2006, 09:47
cn 727, lets face it flying is all about experience,and training.
If proper,and sound training is done i see nothing wrong in placing a 500 hour pilot in a jet.
personally methinks turboprops are more difficult to fly than jets,and this is predomonantly where low time pilots have gone.
by the way it does not matter where the **** hits the fan you have to have your wits with you jet or turboprop.
if you think vk is bad,check out india,where 250 hour 18 year olds are dumped into the right seats of A320S AND 737NGS,TAKING COMMAND AT 1500 HOURS tt
besides the first jet pilot had how many hours on jet?
how many hours on type will the first commercial A380 pilots have?

Comfortably Numb 727
17th Nov 2006, 16:02
250 hours TT. Awsome. Do you have an e-mail address for me. I should almost have enough hours to apply.

Thanks for the tip 18L:ok:

cn727

Dotun
19th Nov 2006, 13:28
I came back from flying school with only 250 hours and went straight on the B732. Hard work, got checked out and dont see why any of the new guys will have a problem. A couple of other guys did the same, and some of them are about to take command. Airlines in Europe are putting guys with 200TT on B738, and lets not forget that some of these new guys (Nigerians) are from Europe with JAA licences. They have to start from somewhere, just my own thoughts.

Regards
DMan

UpperSideBand
19th Nov 2006, 20:32
Hey, Mr. Branson. Don't you wanna start Virgin Airlines South Africa? Give SAA a run for it's money. We South Africans love what you're doing with Virgin Money(SA) and Virgin Mobile(SA). Telecommunications and Banking is not the only places that needs improvement in our economy...

bianchi
20th Nov 2006, 17:58
Hello all !

Has anyone with +- 500 hours been contacted yet for an interview with VK Nigeria ? Saw the"ad'', but don't know of any guys or girls that has been contacted yet with a interview date.

Best of luck to all applying for this job !!!:ok:

Bianchi !!!

CathayBrat
21st Nov 2006, 05:47
Applied to them, got lots more than the min req's but not a peep yet:sad: Just have to keep fingers crossed. Dont see the problem with having 500tt on the right seat, when the min reqs for captain were 3000+ with 1500 on jets!! Evens out in the end. :D for VK to help new boys out of the danger zone of trying to build hrs in africa, you all know what i mean!!!:eek:

Taggert
21st Nov 2006, 06:28
Howdy all,

Got an email a week or so ago for an interview with VK in Gatwick. 500hrs i think is the bare minimums. I have >5000hrs.

Would be interested to know what the pay and conditions are like, basings etc.

Taggert

bianchi
21st Nov 2006, 11:44
Now why would they advertise for flightdeck crew with the minimum requirement being 500 hours TT and only crew with much more experience get a call?:hmm:
Strange you always hear about the serious pilot shortage that exsist -about to happen, but in my short 20 years flying I have never seen a pilot shortage.There were always pilots available.
Places like the Middle East are desperate for crew, but in my humble oppinion I think it's the conditions and pay that they get offered that make it difficult for operators there to attracted crew ......... maybe I am very wrong but I know of youngsters that has been scratching there rearsides off to find a"place" to begin,but without luck .......... same as when I was there.
Same BS ........ "you don't have enought experience".....sorry!Come back when you got 10 000 hours with a 1000 hours on a space shuttle of which 100 must be at night,then I would love to have you to fly my Baron and after two months we will see whether we can use you on the Chieftain.
Just hang in there guys and girls......hopefully I will be proven very wrong with the so called"pilot shortage" and you all come right with a good job !!!

Best of luck with your applications!!

Amin
22nd Nov 2006, 00:40
Hi guys,

I applied to Virgin Nigeria for six weeks ago regarding the first officer position they have been advertising. When I applied I only had 480 total time. I recieved an e-mail from the HR manager five days later stating thanks for applying we will keep your application in file for future. He also mentioned that they have plans to add more airplanes in the future, so please keep updating your resume.
I did some research on the web and found out that Virgin Nigeria is planing to have 40 aircraft by the end of decade. I'm planing to send my CV again when I break 800tt :).
I recommend you guys keep applying in regular bases and see what happens. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck :ok:

Amin