PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Pilots To Train At Malaysia Airlines Subang

EmiratesSandpit
13th Oct 2006, 13:24
Jetstar Pilots To Train At MAS Subang Centre

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has signed an agreement with Jetstar, the Australian-based low-fare carrier, to train 12 Jetstar pilots at its Flight Crew Training Centre in Subang.

Jetstar's chief executive officer, Alan Joyce, said the airline was pleased to use the centre to help support its move into long-haul flying.

"All initial line operations experience for Jetstar's lead pilots on the A330 will be conducted by MAS and this arrangement has real potential to form an ongoing and long-lasting relationships for line operations and simulator training for our A330 operations," he said.

"We are pleased to share our A330-300 expertise with Jetstar in line with the 'winning coalitions' thrust of our Business Turnaround Plan and are glad that the deal matches the expectations of Jetstar's urgent training needs," he said.

The Jetstar pilots, all holding the rank of Airbus A330-200 flight captain, are currently undergoing both line and simulator Airbus A330-300 training at the centre and are expected to complete their training by early December 2006.

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=224642

Aussie
14th Oct 2006, 00:44
Is this another way of saving money by outsourcing???

GO JET*

Aussie

apacau
14th Oct 2006, 01:29
Sorry if this is an obvious question but training 332 pilots with 333 simulators, I assume doesn't cause any issues? Are the sims such that you can flick a switch and suddenly you're piloting a -200?

404 Titan
14th Oct 2006, 02:09
apacau

An A330 rating covers both an A330-200 and A330-300. I did my endorsement in a -200 sim but only fly a -300 aircraft. So no it isn’t a problem. Yes some sims can at the flick of a switch be converted from a -200 sim to a -300 sim. We do this with our airbus sims from A330 to A340 and vv, though some panels etc need to be changed in the sim as well for this one. Total process takes about 30-60 minutes including software changes.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
14th Oct 2006, 02:17
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I would suggest that this has more to do with the QF sim being offline for three months while it is being relocated to SYD in the new year, than anything else.

It is a 332 sim, but the differences to a 333 are miniscule.

B A Lert
14th Oct 2006, 02:35
I would suggest that this has more to do with the QF sim being offline for three months while it is being relocated to SYD in the new year

How much is this lttlw exercise costing the Company? Install originally at Essendon, train pilots off-shore and relocate to Sydney. Brilliant "planning" innit??? Who are the genii responsible for this waste of profit?

Victor India
14th Oct 2006, 02:46
B A Lert,

I ackowledge it is a very expensive exercise to relocate a sim.

Having said that - people continually sledge management for acts which are aimed squarely at cutting costs in the immediate/coming financial year for the purposes of improving one's upcoming bonus/promotion/pat on the back/whatever.

Is it possible that someone has done the simple research and decided that despite the upfront cost of moving the sim there are longer term savings to be made by relocating the sim? That is of course assuming the QF 330s remain with a red tail for some time to come...

VI

B A Lert
14th Oct 2006, 03:12
VI,

Agreed, but why was the Sim initially located at YMEN, and what has so materially changed in the intervening period? The relocation to YSSY implies a flawed decision so those responsible, if they are still employed by Qantas, should have their bonuses or whatever curtailled for having so obviously ballsed up a couple of years ago. Matters like this should always be queried so that similar flawed decisions can be avoided in the future.:ok:

EY777
14th Oct 2006, 18:33
Guess Jet* took the same option as QF did with the A330 :p

Sim & initial real line ops on MH revenue flights.Can't get any better than that.Last I heard, the guys definitely missed the pampering by MH cabin crew.

flightleader
15th Oct 2006, 07:41
Guess where did the first few QF A330 pilots did sims and line training?? You got it! MH it was! Sim relocation then or was the sim not install at YMEN yet? :confused: