PDA

View Full Version : Don Quijote Airport

jabird
13th Oct 2006, 11:11
With all the recent going-ons at MAD, how does the future look for the new Don Quijote airport, which is still under construction (I think initially due to open early this year, but now "some time" in 2007?). Assuming it opens before Castello, this will be the first non-Aena airport in Spain.

Their website has just been updated, including a costing of the project, which includes a 4000m long runway, at e1.1bn. It also boasts of a link to the AVE network, the kind of infrastructure development which might usually be associated with the likes of FRA, CDG, or of course MAD itself.

With a runway that large, I'm assuming they are planning on a certain amount of freight ops, but the AVE link is presumably aimed at passengers heading into Madrid, Cordoba and perhaps even Seville, which is also reasonably Ryanair friendly.

So is this ultimate Ryanairport (200km from Madrid) actually going to end up being too expensive and unnecessary for the loco airlines to use, or will it have a future?

malagajohn
13th Oct 2006, 13:51
Jabird

Interesting post

Obviously AENA have tried to steal the thiunder with the FR announcemnet earlier this week

Whether FR will be happy at Barajas or not is another question and whether they are using it as a staging post to try and get an even better deal from the Ciudad Real boys remains to be seen

If they get things right though cargo will be more important than pax

Castelló is another ball game - this will be a going concern . Murcia Corvera will also be another good operation , even though AENA will try spoiling tactics at San Javier

And what about Antequera - i never rated it when it was announced but I was talking to some people who are with the promotors and this could take a wee bit of biz from AGP