PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair

Falcone
13th Oct 2006, 09:11
I think I have seen banner on PPRUNE stating this.
Unfortunatelly I can not find that banner now.
Have I seen that or not, question is now? :8
Thanks

the grim repa
13th Oct 2006, 09:29
Who is giving all the non european pilots in ryanair,work permits?yes brazil is not in the european union.

Falcone
13th Oct 2006, 09:33
As far as I know either UK goverment or Republic of Ireland goverment. Just check any official website. There is information how to obtain work permit. Very simple and straightforward.
Serbia is in Europe, but not in EU. Brazil is niether in Europe nor in EU.
Any info is it realy Open day in Belgrade? :uhoh:

rightchoise
18th Oct 2006, 04:34
Ryanair open day in Belgrade, Serbia will be held on the 5-th and 6-th of November.For those who dosen't know where is Belgrade and Serbia, they shouldn't be pilots.They should return back to the primary school to study geography.

Regards

maybepilot
20th Oct 2006, 14:41
When most pilots were in primary school they learnt about Yugoslavia....
Maybe they should just watch CNN more closely for any territorial news in that little and everchanging country in the outskirts of Europe.
By the way any average pilot would find and land in Belgrade without even knowing what country it is....just punch the right stuff into the FMS,tune in the correct trequency and don't forget the gear!

Clandestino
22nd Oct 2006, 05:50
737 pilots' pay at JAT Airways is about half of what MOL is currently paying his crews, but there are not that many current 737 drivers in ex-Yu to make significant impact on wages, even if they would all move to Ryanair.

Waggon rut
22nd Oct 2006, 21:00
I really do not know what is going on, I have only two days work this week, the rest sby's (most of my money from sector cheques). Will do about 40-50 hours this month if I am lucky. This company is a joke, and they are having recruitment days, what next. All of you be warned. Every week this company is getting closer to imploding.

sawotanao
22nd Oct 2006, 21:22
I know contractors get the s:mad:ty end of the stick at FR, but anyone got an accurate idea of the starting and subsequent pay there from base check thru' line check?:confused: Heard cadets were getting approx £900 GBP / month to start then half sector once line checked. This was last winter, but what about for new starters this winter/spring '07?.
Cheers in advance. Sa'

Cojack
27th Oct 2006, 19:29
I saw on Ryanairs website that the open day will be on the 11th of November. Its on the website

louiswharf
7th Nov 2006, 11:08
Anyone able to confirm thats the Ryans are head hunting cityjet pilots and offering very atractive conditions?
Anyone know any more details?

Louis

st patrick
7th Nov 2006, 20:25
OUT OF THE FRYING PAN AND INTO THE FIRE

ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD

Need I go on or do you get the message?

Just one las one!

LOOK(VERY CAREFULLY) BEFORE YOU LEAP!:cool:

Captain Greaser
7th Nov 2006, 20:39
Why would anybody leave a permanent job in Dublin for a contract job in Dublin?U wont get paid till you get on line and even if your permanent you have to pay for your accomadation doing your course?Oh! and dont forget the £2.50 for the hire of the swimming pool for your pool drill. Misserable bastards. There is alot better out there.

biminiflyer
7th Nov 2006, 21:07
guys have it on good authority that fr have filled their requirement for jockeys at least till april next year so wont need to be offering that sort of thing which they never have before so not sure where that came from

bf

ARGPILOT
8th Nov 2006, 16:50
my friend called me today, he said everything is going through by the end of the year

louiswharf
8th Nov 2006, 20:08
Hi St Paddy, talk about wrecking me buzz!!

Still a few snakes left in Ireland I guess!

Safe flying dude

captplaystation
8th Nov 2006, 21:04
Given how little we are all flying at the moment this would be strange, but then again God ( and Ryanair ) move in mysterious ways.Not entirely unconnected with the ongoing efforts to shaft the DUB based pilots , don't expect to enter a happy little band if you accept a DUB position, if you don't understand why , do yourself the favour of contacting IALPA and at least be au-fait with what you are jumping in to.

banana head
8th Nov 2006, 21:36
Ryanair looking for cityjet pilots

Try looking around Swords business campus, the Aer Lingus Tech building, the Marriot bar in Roissy or if rumours are true a certain local STD clinic :eek:

Captain Greaser
9th Nov 2006, 09:49
Hey Muppet.Whats the story on the STD clinic?

ElNino
9th Nov 2006, 14:06
Capt Greaser, don't think it's the muppet despite the catchphrase user name. Try looking east of DUB...

banana head
9th Nov 2006, 16:58
C'mon Capt. Greaser - RYR already have a history of seeking out those CityJet pilots who frequent such establishments :E
There once was a pilot from Palermo, who.... oh well you know the rest....

Captain Greaser
9th Nov 2006, 23:11
Oh! Got you now!!!
Further to my original post they don't have a pension or loss of licence like proper airlines. An orange future is a far better deal considering that most CJ pilots end up there.

maybepilot
10th Nov 2006, 01:01
There once was a pilot from Palermo, who.... oh well you know the rest....

we don't know the story...would be interesting to know more.

Captain Greaser
10th Nov 2006, 11:54
EINino if I look any further east for the Banana Head I'll be looking in the sea. Maybe from some place further east where they grow banana's. Probably a few muppets there as well.

banana head
10th Nov 2006, 16:36
Hey Greaser - Maybe from some place further east where they grow banana's. Probably a few muppets there as well.

Mahnaaa Mahnaaa :ok:

Plenty of muppets out there - If I remember correctly that's one reason why we both left!!

An orange future is a far better deal

Last time I drove through B'Fast I saw a hugh poster advertising for a certain telecom company,
" The Future is bright, The future is ORANGE " it said.
Wise words perhaps :E

See you at the Christmas party...

Captain Greaser
10th Nov 2006, 19:59
You wont be seeing me there. The morale in Autswitch is better.

banana head
10th Nov 2006, 22:12
Yeah but they didn't have free Guinness in Autswitch now did they?:p

louiswharf
14th Nov 2006, 16:29
Capt Greaser; the future indeed is bright!
The morale probably was better in.......

Transair must be making a packet at the moment on books

Louis

louiswharf
15th Nov 2006, 19:34
Banana what you reckon

cityguy
17th Nov 2006, 13:56
:{ Just heard that the guy responsible for sorting the shambles at Ryanair training has quit, anyone left in the training dept after Dec 1st good luck....

xlgboeing
17th Nov 2006, 14:49
Think you will find the guy is a girl (LJ). Moving to new pastures I hear.

Mr Angry from Purley
17th Nov 2006, 17:17
xigboeing - when you say training at RYR, what do you mean, the Chief Training Captain or the sim planning?, I hear that the number of people at NEMA Trng Centre is declining, why? :\

Telstar
17th Nov 2006, 17:24
Shame, I heard it was a different place atmosphere wise since a certain "Vertically Challenged" chap was shuffled off the premises. A Regime change so t o speak

notadolly
17th Nov 2006, 17:24
Oh my god! Are you kidding? Who is going to take over now? Suppose it will go back to the shambles it was.

Jinkster
17th Nov 2006, 17:28
Is this likely to effect people waiting to be type rated?

xlgboeing
17th Nov 2006, 17:30
Angry, Its the training planner going.
telstar, regime change again maybe

sawotanao
18th Nov 2006, 16:00
I wouldn't take much notice of a Probationary PPRuNer's comments.

Banzai Eagle
19th Nov 2006, 08:22
xlgboeing - they also have a position for jars administrator, don't suppose you know the £ / € on offer do you, or is it the case of what are you earning now and we will match it!

inveritas
19th Nov 2006, 13:54
I work in East Midlands for Ryanair about 4 days a month so I feel I can clarify this. LJ is an assistant training planner who is leaving for personal reasons. There are four other very competent people in that office to takeover the work. Also I have heard that PB is putting a body from Dublin temporarily in to NEMA until they fill the vacancy.

There was Base Training last weeek where 24 people were trained - none of which had been waiting more than 1 week. They all get their licences and start line training this week.

Other parts of Ryanair may be chaotic but training has changed rapidly since PB arrived. There are more than 60 new line training Captains since April, the SIMS are packed daily seven days a week, all staff have their own phone nos and email and everyone has to be polite and answer queries quickly.

How long this will last none of us is sure. The trainers believe that if PB is leaving then it will return to the same old mess. Who knows. But things have changed.

RAT 5
19th Nov 2006, 21:57
Inveritas:

"The trainers believe that if PB is leaving....."

Are you starting a rumour that PB is thinking of leaving?

cityguy
20th Nov 2006, 08:26
Inveritas.
You are correct, there were 24 pilots base trained last week, Thats my point, you would be lucky to get 4 trained before LJ joined.
I am sure there are 4 more people in the office and I'm sure a percentage of those are competent. They were all there before though and we know how it used to run.

JB may not be too popular but he is competent, he is also probably not too happy with the situation at the moment so how much help he will be is uncertain.

xlgboeing
20th Nov 2006, 10:46
Sowotanoa,
I guess you be an expert having just got your first job less than 2 weeks ago!
Such arrogance at such an early stage tut tut.

inveritas
20th Nov 2006, 20:18
I think PB is leaving or will be pushed.

Word in STN is that he has solved the training and pilot numbers problem for Ryanair but will be dumped as DOB and EW are about to start WW3 on the pilots.

Pay cuts, demotions and benefits slashed are coming. More REPA court cases anyone?

I bet the Gingerman DH will be the next GMFOPS.

neidin
25th Nov 2006, 16:44
Anyone know if it is confirmed that PB is leaving FR?

captjns
25th Nov 2006, 16:51
I think PB is leaving or will be pushed.

Word in STN is that he has solved the training and pilot numbers problem for Ryanair but will be dumped as DOB and EW are about to start WW3 on the pilots.

Pay cuts, demotions and benefits slashed are coming. More REPA court cases anyone?

I bet the Gingerman DH will be the next GMFOPS.

Can you substantiate any of your claims... or are they suppositions?

Dutchpilots
27th Nov 2006, 06:03
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if it is true, that open day applicants don't have to pay the assesment fee of GBP 252,-?

Kind regards
Dutchpilots

captjns
27th Nov 2006, 14:53
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if it is true, that open day applicants don't have to pay the assesment fee of GBP 252,-?

Kind regards
Dutchpilots

You may wish to ask Ryan directly. That way you won't be suprised either way if you attend the open day assement.

Alpha_India
27th Nov 2006, 15:16
Personally, I know from at least half a dozen of guys who got in without any fees- they just attended the open day, had their interview and got a contractual offer right away.

LowpassB737
27th Nov 2006, 15:37
Hi there,

Kind regards
Dutchpilots

Hi there Dutchpilots..... I was there a week ago and there was no fee..
But remember to bring some food as there is no such thing available in the vending machine.... just coffee.. :hmm:
You will get a reply real quick to... about 24 hrs after you will know if you´re in or not.. I was lucky.... :) :) :)

loftustb
27th Nov 2006, 15:40
I believe it's true. So, at the moment, new recruits are a mix of those who have paid for a sim ride and those who haven't

Alpha_India
27th Nov 2006, 16:18
Welcome to MOL´s Ryanair, the guy who negotiates- and deals with each individual pilot...:}

easymoney
27th Nov 2006, 16:52
Heard some have to pay.

Reckon if you are type rated you'll get away with it. This is typical of FR, different terms and conditions for all even before you start.

If you are sucessful in your application the best thing you can do is sign on to the repaweb.org website. This is free and a great way to communicate with all FR pilots in all FR bases.

inveritas
29th Nov 2006, 19:25
On PB - I have been told that he was offered roles at EZY and NetJets. Many have asked him directly in STN if he is leaving. He is laughing it off and saying no.

He issued a letter today with pay cuts which has started WW3.

POL.777
3rd Dec 2006, 07:25
What letter? I didn't find any letter on crewdock dated Nov 29th.... At least not from PB.

michaelknight
3rd Dec 2006, 11:15
PB may have laughed them off, but every man has his price! Money talks.

MK

Wizofoz
13th Dec 2006, 17:00
And what, threaten that anyone joining couldn't join the union?

I can see MOL just quivering with fear at that idea:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nuclear weapon
13th Dec 2006, 17:32
That will be a very good idea. Someone posted not too long ago that ryanair sent an internal mail that the've only lost six pilots in the past three months. But then everytime I speak to the man in charge of thier training in Amsterdam the numbers ryanair asked for keeps going up. Two months ago it was 150 for next year last week when I spoke with him the number had jumped to 300. If very few have left are they planning to get rid of experienced and expensive ones to replace them with eager new pilots willing to do anything to get on the aviation job ladder.

CamelhAir
13th Dec 2006, 17:39
the've only lost six pilots in the past three months.

Ryanair. Truth. Not compatible remember? I can think of at least 10 in the last few weeks, and that's just from the couple of bases I hear things from. rolleyes:

A recruitment ban would be a superb idea if people would actually abide by it. However, we all know there are always a few who will f**k it up for everyone else. Better to let them come in, then realise what a serious mistake they've made and convert them into willing REPA recruits.
On the other hand, if a ban worked it would solve ryanairs problems in a matter of weeks. Can wannabes take that leap of faith to better themselves?

frigorifico
15th Dec 2006, 18:11
hi

at this moment i have contract with ryanair. but now i am asked to change my contract with ryanair for a new contract with brookfield for a base in dublin (i have to resign with ryanair!) Is there anyone who has experience with this situation and can give me some advice.

i also saw a thread discussing this matter before, but somehow i cannot find it anymore, did it disappear?

thanks for your help.

captplaystation
15th Dec 2006, 18:26
As you are working for Ryanair, you have assumedly signed up to REPA, if not WAKE UP NOW MAN FOR CRISSAKE . A wealth of advice / options is available there, whether you are a member of IALPA , BALPA, or indeed the Monster Raving Loony Party . You are not alone, and your problem is not unique, contact REPA ASAP or regret at your leisure. In the meantime, sign / agree to nothing and try and stall them for time. Good news should be coming along in 6 days time.

captplaystation
17th Dec 2006, 16:56
Just the small matter of a supreme court ruling which will decide whether RYR, like everyone else, has to abide by the law, indeed a law which they, 9 years ago, were directly responsible for inspiring. I guess you have no connections to RYR or you would undoubtedly be aware of this ( I hope).

planeshipcar
28th Dec 2006, 04:34
I am curious as to whether it is posible to get a part time contract job for one of the low cost airlines such as Ryanair. ie. work only 2 or 3 days per week.

cheers

Rainboe
28th Dec 2006, 06:11
From a couple of colleagues who tried: they don't do part time.

Jinkster
28th Dec 2006, 08:17
do it full time and get 5 days on, 4 days off..... :ok:

FliegerTiger
28th Dec 2006, 08:20
Easyjet do 75% and 50% contracts which you can apply for after working full-time for a year. Certain conditions apply, such as you must have a young child, etc.

CamelhAir
28th Dec 2006, 12:00
do it full time and get 5 days on, 4 days off.....

Why not tell the full story jinkster? That the 5/4 is at their convenience, that half your annual leave is allocated to the 4th day, that recurrent training is on days "off"...
I hear MOL really likes gullible youngsters such as yourself. When you work out what a terrible mistake you've made (that should take about 10 mins), be sure to join REPA.

Jinkster
28th Dec 2006, 12:18
I was merely stating the roster to planeshipcar, not wanting turn a pprune thread back into another slanging match!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloue
28th Dec 2006, 13:36
I was merely stating the roster to planeshipcar - jinkster with the greatest of respect you were not, because it was not relevant to what he or she asked. You were advertising the "wonderful" deal for "5 on and 4 off" which was rejected by the vast majority of Ryanair pilots because of little bits like those mentioned by CamelhAir. If you really wanted to avoid another slanging match you would have kept your silence about something you do not appear to know anything about.

The answer to the question posed at the top of this thread, is that Ryanair are not sympathetic to those seeking part-time work (and that is an understatement).

Jinkster
28th Dec 2006, 13:39
In that case - please accept my apologies!:uhoh:

planeshipcar
29th Dec 2006, 09:27
Is it possible to get a contract with the likes of Brookfields that allows you to work part time for the company?

Apart from Easy Jet where else can you work part time on a 50% contract?

Rainboe
29th Dec 2006, 09:39
Strewth- can't you take 'no' for an answer? Why should they give out part-time through agencies and not to those on direct contracts? I mean- you really are flogging that one to death, aren't you? At the age of 21, why are you so desperately concerned at part-time? Wouldn't you say at this stage is it important to build up rapid experience? In the company I am in now, a lot of young pilots are not even taking their full leave so they can build experience quickly!

Carmoisine
29th Dec 2006, 13:37
Jinkster
I have been reading some of your recent posts and you seem to have swallowed some Ryanair propaganda hook line and sinker. You are in for a very heavy landing I fear my friend. I do genuinely wish you the best but I wonder if you will have changed your tune after 6 months. I certainly did. Although so concerned was I that I would be made an example of by my employer I had to take a new username solely for Ryanair related topics on PPRuNe. So maybe we won't hear from you again either.
P.S The 5/4 is not 5/4. You do sim on days off for example. Ryanair can also change it to 5/2 5/3 at their whim multiple times a year. It says so in your contrac...... Whoops! Silly me, did they even give a copy of your contract?
Don't forget to join www.repaweb.org!
Rainboe:
Why should they give out part-time through agencies and not to those on direct contracts?
Oh dear, oh dear. You, quite obviously, are not familiar with the ways of Ryanair. This is exactly the case. There are numerous, I repeat, numerous flavours and varieties of contracts on offer to Pilots in Ryanair both full time and contract. It is quite often the case that so called Brookfield "contractors" (They are in effect full time employees) are offered conditions of employment favorouable to existing employees. The situation where a F/O is earning a multiple of the Captain he sits beside is not unheard of.
As for part time work, it is a closely gaurded secret that there is 5 on 10 off available for a select few Brookfield Pilots. As with most things in Ryanair only if you shout the loudest and threaten the most might you get it.

CamelhAir
29th Dec 2006, 16:12
Carmoisine, I reckon you're bang on about Jinkster. I've looked at a few his posts too and the fall from the height he's at is gonna result in a very very painful landing. I give him about 3 months tops. :ouch:

planeshipcar
29th Dec 2006, 17:43
Rainboe,

It seems that a few Brookfields do have very different contracts and as stated 5 on 10 off.

You are a rude tw*t.

I have to say I'm shocked that so many of you don't understand the economics of Ryan and contract pilots from agenices. They try their hardest to have as many outside pilots contracted in!

Read through pprune slower and don't skim over stuff it will stop you looking like stupid fools!

Happy New Year

Rainboe
29th Dec 2006, 17:52
Who is the rude one? You can keep your Happy New Years to yourself, young man, until you get better manners. How easy it is to use anonymity to hide abuse like that! Pathetic really. If you know the answer, go to Brookfields and come back and tell us then! In fact it would have saved a load of hard disk space if you'd asked them in the first place! I happen to know because a friend of mine was approached more than once to join Ryanair- he was only willing to work part time, and that was declined by Ryanair more than once. So....if the answer was as simple as joining an agency, I think there would have been a way. So....why can't you take 'no' for an answer?
You're not even a professional pilot anyway, are you? So dream on.

cameldung
30th Dec 2006, 10:24
I have to say I'm shocked that so many of you don't understand the economics of Ryan and contract pilots from agenices. planeshipcar do you realise that you come across as somebody who knows a lot less about this than you may think. To have asked the question you asked at the top of this thread and then lecture us about your being "shocked" at our ignorance is hardly wise.

BTW, if you really want to confirm your ignorance you can tell us what BRK or FR tell you and then tell us you believe them. It might be better to try speaking to a few of the many pilots who got told things that never quite materialised. That's the real "economic reality".

planeshipcar
31st Dec 2006, 04:28
1. I had to re ask my question because all the replies were oblivious to contracting. Not one answer referred to agencies. You assumed Ryans set up was only 5 day on 4 off which is for their personal employees, this varies copnsiderably from the different agencies that a large proportion of Ryanair are employed with?

My question is very clearly asking a route to 50% contract or to part time work in an airline not neccesarily Ryan - ANY.

2 I have researched other airlines now including Easyjet and BA who offer 50% contracts to pilots, there are many more which I still have to look into. Why didn't you answer my question? Someone said 'No, can't you get the message. What pisses me off was they were patently wrong and were rude and incredibly un helpful and misleeding, insulting and deserved to be called what they were. Their ansere 'no' was bollocks.

So with the information that Ryan and and other airlines have part time pilots I have no idea how I can be critised by those who say I haven't got as much knowledege.

Go figure?

Rainboe
31st Dec 2006, 08:04
I have researched other airlines now including Easyjet and BA who offer 50% contracts to pilots,
Oh yes? You go figure.....you try getting it! 2 or 3 days a week? Funny man! And a tad abusive for my taste- if you think you can go walk into it, fill your boots then come back and say you got it. But that is all you get from me. Byee

boeingbus2002
31st Dec 2006, 12:47
What was the final outcome of the BA first officer who wanted to go part time to look after her child? I recall they refused it to her due to her experience levels however if she had over 1500hrs or something, then it could be possible. She took them to court and BALPA supported her case.

Rainboe
31st Dec 2006, 14:22
It's the Starmer case, which was won by her. Search should get there, but I'm sure planetractorcar could quote you chapter and verse. He thinks it will apply to him.

Stan Woolley
31st Dec 2006, 14:49
Rainboe give it a rest mate.
Your initial post on this topic was misleading, both do forms of part-time given certain conditions.
BTW I work for Ryanair and used to work for Easyjet.

lorcandaly
8th Jan 2007, 18:47
Hi all

Just want to ask a few basic questions to any cityjet or ryanair pilots out there! Im a young pilot almost finished the multi-IR with the fATPL and am going to apply to both CityJet and Ryanair. I know both airlines have pros and cons but still-i am willing to pay for a type rating and just want to know basic info about either airline-such as pay and conditions!

I would greatly appreciate if pilots from either company could let me know what the conditions in either company are really like and if they are as bad as others say!

Like in Ryanair what exactly happens in your first year? Iv heard there is absolutely no pay until you go on the line and then something like 8000 pounds sterling in the second six months-is this true? If so what would a FO in his/her second year expect to earn and likewise in his/her third year? What are the ryanair bases like-do you get an option or are you just based somewhere-and if so what are the usual bases? Is it really a 5 on 4 off roster?

Same kind of questions for any cityjet guys-i know the basic pay is €22,000 in year one for a SO but how much does it cost to live in Paris for the year and how much can one expect to earn in his/her second and third years. and how easy is it to get to command etc?

Would anyone advise one airline over the other for any specific resons?

I know my post is a bit all over the place but still i would appreciate any feedback-feel free to pm me either if it is easier.

Thanks in advance-Lorcan!

flyingsaucer
11th Jan 2007, 13:47
hello

Anyone know if it is possible to get hired by Ryan air or Esay jet with an FAA license if you are a citizen from the European community?

Thank you for your help

captainyonder
11th Jan 2007, 14:29
No it isn't. You'll need to convert your FAA licence to a JAA one which means doing the dreaded 14 ground school exams! I'm doing exactly that at the moment!

Good luck.

flyingsaucer
11th Jan 2007, 17:42
here was i saw on RYan air website

Our Requirements

Ideally you should have a JAR or EU licence and you must speak fluent English.

does that mean u dont need the JAA license?
i don treally know ho wto understand this sentence also i hear dguys got hired with only FAA license and they had time to convert it while flying for Ryanair.

whats is your background Captain yonder?
and are you from the EU?

Rippa
12th Jan 2007, 11:16
You may work for Ryan without a JAA license, but you will have to get (pay for) an IAA (Irish authoraty) validation for your FAA license (for 1 year)...so, you can start with a validation, but you will have to study very hard to get your JAA within 1 year...
:ok:
Rgs

flyingsaucer
12th Jan 2007, 13:30
thanks rippa

and what happens at the end of the year if u dont have your JAA license?
do u know the price to pay for that Irish authority validation of your FAA license?

also if you have 2500 hours including 1500 hours CRJ 200 do u still need to pay for a 737 type?

Thanks for the help

Ar eu flying at Ryanair and have u done that?

SID PLATE
12th Jan 2007, 13:48
A TRE with an IAA licence can't legally sign a type, or instrument rating, on a UK ATPL. He can on a JAA ATPL.
So, although you can legally fly RYR aircraft on a UK licence, in order to keep your licence current, you will need a UK licence holder to sign the validation, therefore RYR prefer a JAA licence.
This is direct from those awfully nice CAA licencing people.
(see CAA licencing rip off? post in the Questions forum).

Rippa
12th Jan 2007, 15:34
flyingsaucer,

Let me tell you about my experience with Ryanair: I had my sim assessment nov/2005, passed and the guys from brookfield sent me a contract...after reviewing carefully the contract, I declined the proposal and took another job at my home country. I did my way via brookfield, once I do not have a EU passport, although I may get a Italian citizenship (my grandfather was Italian). Before trying Ryanair and spending a lot of money on that, think carefully if you really need that:confused: ...I have lots of friends at Ryan and most of the guys are pretty happy, but if brookfield is your option, take care with issues like taxes and money evasion...That was the main concern I had and one of the reasons that I gave up..I live in Brasil, and after all, why would I leave my country to do something illegal abroad? :ok: Think about that...
Anyway, this is what the guys from brookfield say about JAA license:

"I don’t have a JAA licence, can I fly on my ICAO licence with a validation?

The IAA issues validations for 6 months with a renewal possible to a maximum of 12 months. You will need to have an Irish medical examination which takes place in Dublin and should be arranged well in advance as there is generally a 6 – 8 week waiting list. It takes place in Dublin, at the Mater Clinic (contact Sharon +35318858615 or [email protected]) The cost of the medical at the time of writing is 604 euros, the IAA validation fee is 313 euros and if you need a visa to enter the Republic of Ireland a Irish multiple entry visa will cost GBP £70. Validation information costs and forms should be available from the IAA website (www.iaa.ie or phone +35316031191)"

I am required to get a JAA licence within 12 months. How do I do it?

The information on Irish schools is on the IAA website and UK schools on the UK CAA website (www.CAA.co.uk) alternatively there are schools listed in the back pages of Flight International, Flyer, Pilot etc. There is also a school in Florida which advertises UK ATPL JAA theory courses. Generally these exams can be studied by enrolling on a theory distance learning course. The study is split into 2 x 7 exams across a 6 – 9 months period, so this will need to be started very soon after receiving your first validation in order to fit it into the 12 months. The approximate cost of the distance learning course is 1500 pounds sterling and the 14 theoretical exams are 99 euros each.

737 TR

I don’t have a 737 type-rating. How can I make myself acceptable to Ryanair?

Contract pilots who need to undergo type training must do so at their own expense with one of Ryanair’s approved schools in Sweden or Holland . The cost is between 24,000 & 30,000 euros plus living expenses. It is only possible for these schools to provide the type-rating for pilots with a JAA licence. Therefore if you are without a JAA licence or a 737 type-rating it will be necessary in the first instance to obtain your JAA licence. Pilots successfully completing the type training with one of these schools will undergo an extended amount of line training before undertaking their duties as either Captain or First Officer.

I have some more info if you need...just let me know.
Rgds

flyingsaucer
12th Jan 2007, 17:06
thanks again very interesting info.

first i am a french citizen with a FAA license so no problem working in europe.
but i cannot beleive that they would make you pay your type rating, but i guess that is the way it works in europe.
also how can the cost be 25 000 euros when u can get a type on a 737 for 5000 usd in the US?
Would i still need to undergo there training if I have a US 737 type rating?

Thanks again

Rippa
12th Jan 2007, 17:26
thanks again very interesting info.

Would i still need to undergo there training if I have a US 737 type rating?

Thanks again

I am not sure, but I think you will have to pay, once they ask for some experience on type. I had aprox 800hs on type, both 737Efis and NG, so I wouldnt have to pay for my GS. At that time, the minimum qualification they were asking was 500hs on type, but I believe they might have lowered that number by now...check www.ryanair.com
The best you could do is get in touch with the training dept. at ryanair.
Good luck !

captplaystation
12th Jan 2007, 18:14
flyingsaucer, you better believe it mon ami. If you find paying for your type rating incredible, how do you find ?. . . . . . paying for - your medical / licence renewal / uniform / I.D pass / car park pass / transport to and accomodation at simulator for recurrent checks and upgrade courses / no crew food or water / no loss of licence insurance / no pension / paying for your own manuals if required in paper form (no I'm not joking) / paying for a replacement cheque to be issued if the company fail to get your sector cheque to you / taking months (if ever ) to be reimbursed for any costs you incur at the company's behest (if you were nieve enough to pay in the first place) /the list is endless. Think you should really have a good read of the thread "ryanair, a guide for prospective employees" before you make any hasty moves. The outcome of the supreme court decision delayed from 21st Dec to 31st Jan should clarify for you , and everyone else , whether it is worth coming / staying here.

flyingsaucer
12th Jan 2007, 20:16
yes capt playstation it looks like a big hassle.
I could wait where i am and upgrade on the crj200 in 6 months and then fly a year as a captain and go to southwest or maybe fedex in the US, the only reason i am looking into ryanair is because i am kind of home sick and would want to come back and fly in europe.
what are you talking about when u say the result of the supreme court?

what about you i see you ar ein france ar eyou french and who do you fly for?

do you have any recommandation on coming back to europe as smoothly as possible

Aloue
12th Jan 2007, 22:13
how can the cost be 25 000 euros when u can get a type on a 737 for 5000 usd in the US?Well flyingsaucer the answer is simple. Ryanair have done to the pilots what they previously did to cabin crew, which is to turn them into a source of profit. So when you join and discover that the promises were not entirely honoured, you find it expensive/difficult to leave - but even if you do leave they will have made a handsome profit from you. (It is also worth remembering that their contract stipulates that they give you 1 months notice of termination of employment, while you must give them 3 months notice). This is another way of entrapping pilots.

All of this, of course, is why they just love new CPL/IT wannabes with money ... lots of luvvvly revenue and profit and minimal exposure to cost, since they only pay the trainee pilot when he or she actually flys (hence the long delays in training do not cost them a thought, even though the trainee might be in serious financial trouble).

captplaystation
13th Jan 2007, 17:23
yes capt playstation it looks like a big hassle.
I could wait where i am and upgrade on the crj200 in 6 months and then fly a year as a captain and go to southwest or maybe fedex in the US, the only reason i am looking into ryanair is because i am kind of home sick and would want to come back and fly in europe.
what are you talking about when u say the result of the supreme court?

what about you i see you ar ein france ar eyou french and who do you fly for?

do you have any recommandation on coming back to europe as smoothly as possible
Think if I had any possibility to go to SWA or Fedex I wouldn't be rushing back to Europe to join Ryanair. On 31st Jan the Irish Supreme Court are expected to announce their decision on whether the Labour Court has the right to arbitrate and make an award to Ryanair pilots, as the company do not engage in any meaningful form of negotiation. The answer is expected to be positive, otherwise the courts have just thrown the constitution out of the window, but we have to wait and see. I was in France, now in Spain,( or Catalunya, as they prefer in Girona) ,working for lovely lovely Ryanair,and no, I am another form of Gauliose, Scottish.Never worked outside of Europe so no idea, but if I was French (and young enough) I would only consider AF if you want to return to France. Everything else seems to be crap, bankrupt (or about to be) or in the case of Ryanair and Easy Jet probably on the way out due to the governments recent insistence that French based crews are employed on French contracts, which is much more expensive for RYR / EJ.

flyingsaucer
13th Jan 2007, 20:13
thanks capt playstation,

well i am 30 years old and for air france i hear dthat it is pretty hard and you need to have great recommandation if you want to be hired as a professionnal pilot, an dyou need to get your dreaded 14 exams from the ATPL as well as the french medical and som eother specific french licenses.
As for FED ex i could get there probably in a year or two, an dliving in memphis would help me get on with them, and i heard that they might open a base in Paris.
But the quicker way right now would probably Cathay Pacific i heard they are looking for pilots and they have bases in paris, london and francfurt an dthe FAA license is good and they pay well.

cityguy
25th Jan 2007, 13:45
I work in East Midlands for Ryanair about 4 days a month so I feel I can clarify this. LJ is an assistant training planner who is leaving for personal reasons. There are four other very competent people in that office to takeover the work. Also I have heard that PB is putting a body from Dublin temporarily in to NEMA until they fill the vacancy.

There was Base Training last weeek where 24 people were trained - none of which had been waiting more than 1 week. They all get their licences and start line training this week.

So how is it now??????

CamelhAir
25th Jan 2007, 14:34
go to southwest or maybe fedex in the US

Good god man, what on earth are you thinking even considering ryanair???? :ugh:

If SWA or Fedex are viable options, stay stay stay stay stay...........!!!!!!

Despite what ryanair claim, they are NOTHING like SWA. Wish I could go to SWA myself :(

ryanair is quite simply the worst airline in the world.

Leo Hairy-Camel
26th Jan 2007, 12:13
Yes, so dreadful in fact, that Camel Hair chooses to remain in:-
the worst airline in the world.
Were Ryanair as bad as this ******** ********* thinks it is, surely he and his tiny tribe of malcontents should leave to greener pastures? Evidently its much more fun to stay put, whine like a stuck pig, and to humiliate those who think they can make up their own minds.

He is, I admit, partly correct though.
Despite what ryanair claim, they are NOTHING like SWA.
No, we're much more profitable (http://www.ryanair.com/site/about/invest/docs/2007/q2_2007_doc.pdf) and, thank God, union free.

Marvo
26th Jan 2007, 15:30
You just carry on getting better and better ! ..........I hope I never have to join you on a four sector day, my CRM isn't that good.

the grim repa
26th Jan 2007, 19:11
No fear that you will have to join cleo airhead mammal on the flightdeck.He don't get out of the glass box that often.A little like all the great dictators of our time,he just hides himself away and believes all the bull **** his minions feed him.egotistically believing that he is a god!NEWSFLASH cleo you are losing and losing fast.Next time you are on REPAWEB.ORG.have a good read!you are going down sister!I along with all those you have abused over time will be there to watch you squeal like the suckling pig you are.See you around LOSER!HA!HA!

Put out a new pay and terms offer and see what happens,go on,i dare you,LOSER!

Why are your posts becoming so boring and decidedly short cleo.Bit like the antics of the "BIG" man himself,starting to sound like a broken record,same old ads in the paper,getting smaller though,used to be full page.Saving a few bob to pay the victimisation claim,LOSER!

Aloue
27th Jan 2007, 08:21
Leo, you clearly don't have a wife and family to worry about.

Apparently you are happy to have the terms and conditions which are DICTATED by your employer (I guess they "interpret" what the free market rate actually is by looking at tea leaves or whatever).

Just as a matter of interest: would you be good enough to just clarify your approach to salary determination (this is a genuine question): don't you care? or do you think that what Ryanair decides is automatically O.K.? or are you on a "special deal" which protects you from what your colleagues have to endure? (While I have noted that you never deal with realities or inconvenient questions, I am trying here...).

Your positions seem so remote from the experience of the people you ostensibly fly with that I cannot quite see how you reconcile all of this in your model of the world. Come, educate and delight us ... how do you reconcile all of this?

Carmoisine
27th Jan 2007, 08:37
he and his tiny tribe of malcontents

Oh, Leo! I am giddy with excitement. 1000 members and climbing on Repaweb, but thats not the best bit. Just wait until you see the numbers buying into the RPA! No tiny tribe. Unity brother. See you in the Labout Court next month?

http://www.squ.edu.om/lan/p69CamelSign.jpg

GA, Flaps 20
27th Jan 2007, 16:37
Ryanair is another CANCER growing on the airline industry. I'm talking about the management and the way they are taking advantage of pilots (and other employees) who are willing to work under subpar conditions and wages in order to 'get ahead one day'. Well, that's all well and fine while it is a relatively small company but they have now reached a critical mass.

It's similar to SWA in the USA in that once a company gets big enough it has some clout in the marketplace to drag down real wages, eliminate pensions and prompt some onerous workrules.

I can't stand the comments I see like "if you don't like it, then quit, go somewhere else". Those are clearly written by people who don't know much about this industry. At 50 years old and 11 years seniority I don't want to start over at the bottom (again) somewhere else with so few years left to try to recoup the interim losses. Though, sadly, I am having to consider those options now. I worked plenty of years for low pay at crummy companies in order to 'get ahead one day'. Now it looks like there won't be anywhere to get ahead anymore.:=

I think it is right and appropriate for pilots at Ryanair to now stand up to O'Leary and bring him back to reality. I'm not talking about necessarily destroying the company. I can understand his want to control costs but really I don't know why he hates pilots so much and belittles them at every opportunity. Why do pilots (any human being?) put up with it?

As pilots, we have a unique position to make or break a company. We need to stick together; something we are not very good at (oddly). As Ryanair gets bigger and O'Leary gets bolder the pressure on the other airlines to match lack of pay & benefits will eventually lead to Ryanair being one of the best flying jobs out there.:{ Wouldn't that be a sad state of affairs for our once great profession? Just look at the SWA situation in the USA like I mentioned earlier. Not that SWA is an awful job, but it should not be the benchmark for top-tier airline jobs.

I love to fly and I probably retain many of the traits O'Leary loves to mock. He takes extreme advantage of our love of aviation, but he needs to remember that his airline won't "fly itself" however much he wishes it could. I'm not worried about him personally. O'Leary is a "flash in the pan" who will disappear with his millions (on our backs) when he has had his fun. Like he has so proudly stated: he has no real interest in the airline business or flying, along with all his derogatory "cloud bunny" comments; there are plenty more to take his place. One of the biggest mistakes we can make is to think he is anymore special to the airline industry than a cancerous tumour. But these clowns need to find out that we won't be treated like easily-replaced, unskilled workers that they wish we were.

When I now make less than the train driver (who has a pension) who takes me up to the airport to go to work, you have to ask yourself "have we had ENOUGH?" When an airline is virtually giving tickets away while requiring you to bring your own water on board, when are we going to say "ENOUGH" ?

It's almost embarassing when friends and acquaintances discover how few days I actually spend at home and how little an airline pilot actually makes nowdays. Not that I got into the job for the prestige but it did use to carry a certain amount of respect. People start to question your sanity when they realise the all hoops we jump through just to be treated like mud on the shoe by the likes of Michael O'Leary.

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't hold it in any longer........

Hirsutesme
29th Jan 2007, 12:12
Well said GA Flaps 20. If more pilots in Ryanair said the same, and stood together, without a doubt the picture would change very quickly

v1r8
30th Jan 2007, 01:46
180 TT wonder (rich) kids don't have enough balls to stand up against MOL.

20driver
30th Jan 2007, 02:58
GA,flaps 20.

You'd be a bit more convincing if you checked your facts. SWA are just about the best paid 737 pilots in the world right now. (See the thread next door) They certainly are not dragging anyone down. They were not the best paid for a long time and they were regularly dumped on by the ALPA crowd. They just had the bad luck of working for a company that made money every year.

"I'm not talking about necessarily destroying the company. " Can we assume you will if it suits you? What about the rest of the employees who may not appreciate your attention?

"At 50 years old and 11 years seniority I don't want to start over at the bottom" Pilots have insisted on a senority system that has some real benefits but also limits their mobility. You can't have it both ways.

It seems 737 rated ATPL's are in demand the world over. You want to hurt O'leary, leave. Enough people do that and it will sink in.

20driver

bia botal
5th Feb 2007, 10:23
Press Release
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RYANAIR ANNOUNCES RECORD Q3 RESULTS - NET PROFIT RISES 30% TO €48M - FULL YEAR GUIDANCE RAISED FROM €350M TO €390M
- Ryanair, Europe’s biggest low fares airline, today (5th Feb) announced record Q3 results. Net profit rose 30% to €48m., traffic grew 19% to 10.3m., yields were up 7% as total revenues increased 33% to €493m. Unit costs rose by 14% as fuel costs increased 52% to €175m. Despite much higher oil costs, Ryanair maintained a net margin of 10% in Q3, which is significantly ahead of expectations.
Summary Table of Results (IFRS) - in Euro
Third Quarter Ended...Revenue...........Profit after Tax
Dec 31, 2005...........€370.7m............€36.8m
Dec 31,2006............€492.8m............€47.7m
% Increase..............33%.................30%
LOOKS LIKE WELL NEED ANOTHER ROUND OF PAY CUTS LADS!!!!!!!!!

Golf Charlie Charlie
5th Feb 2007, 10:50
I'm sorry, why is Ryanair "in trouble" ?

Magplug
5th Feb 2007, 11:07
It is standard corporate strategy to talk-down a company's performance in internal communications. Employees then recognise that more needs to be done to make the company healthy and their expectations of reward remain low.