PDA

View Full Version : Buffer overrun during virus scan

whiz
13th Oct 2006, 08:58
Hi All,

I run ez trust anti virus software as supplied by BT. I have tried to carry out a full system scan but the follwoing error message keeps popping up :
Microsoft Visual C ++ Run time library
Buffer overrun detected
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state. The program cannot continue execution and must now be terminated.

I have re-tried the scan with the same result each time albeit at different stages of the scan. The helpdesk asked me to uninstall and reinstall the software which I did with the problem still occurring.
I decided to download AVG free version and carried out a full system scan using that. It found SQLSlammer virus which I then removed. According to the microsoft site this worm/virus can hide in your system restore files so I disabled system restore (as per their instructions) and carried out another full scan with AVG which proved clear. I uninstalled and reinstalled my AV again just incase the worm/virus had screwed up the previous reinstall but Im still getting the buffer overrun problem :@

Any ideas ?

PS Im running Windows XP Sp2

Saab Dastard
13th Oct 2006, 11:12
My thought is that if EZ-trust doesn't detect the worm and AVG does, then stick with AVG and consign EZT to oblivion.

Sorry I can't help with the actual problem.

SD