PDA

View Full Version : Banned Airlines

suppie
12th Oct 2006, 18:18
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/pdf/list_en.pdf

New updated list of banned airlines effective 12 October 2006 in EU countries
looks like LGW will not see Das Air Cargo anymore.

bear11
12th Oct 2006, 18:34
I thought DAS were finished? I have met various ex-DAS pilots working for other airlines now.

suppie
12th Oct 2006, 19:38
No they hv still 3 DC10's flying around......

TheOddOne
12th Oct 2006, 19:52
5X JOE was in yesterday, I believe.

TheOddOne

Twitcher
12th Oct 2006, 20:28
DAS Air still fly a fleet of four.
5X-JOE, 5X-ROY, 5X-JOS, 5X-DAS

Skytrucker
12th Oct 2006, 20:32
According to a mate working for a large shipping company, most of those airlines listed never operated any aircraft anyway, they only existed on paper.

DIRECTTANGODELTA
12th Oct 2006, 20:55
Was at LGW on Tuesday evening, 08 ops and the controller gave 5X-JOE a heading off Mayfield of 320.After a few minutes the controller asked why the DC10 was flying at 285!!, the pilot said he had a gyro/compass problem but could take vectors to the localiser.Very shoddy!! The same aircraft overshot 26L
the night before due aircraft on the threshold.:uhoh: :uhoh:

TheOddOne
12th Oct 2006, 21:43
The same aircraft overshot 26L
the night before due aircraft on the threshold.:uhoh: :uhoh:

You can't blame DAS for this one! If the preceding a/c is slow to roll or vacate, and you are instructed to go around, then round you go, whoever you are...

TheOddOne

Kitoro Kid
13th Oct 2006, 09:10
The Das Air Cargo , from Kenya (DAZ) is no longer a valid AOC , and has not been used for many years , Dairo Air Services (DSR) is Das Air Cargo? but find it strange to believe that the EU can have difficulty in tracing Das? they have 1 DC10 based in Brussles , its there every day? as well as daily flights through Gatwick , they even have their own maint base at Gatwick , all approved?

yetanotherdawn
13th Oct 2006, 16:03
I've been talking to colleagues working for DAS and it seems that this decision has come as a complete surprise; they had heard nothing until late Thursday night. Today has obviously been a hive of frenetic activity. They have been continuing to operate four aircraft up to this point and had (they thought) been working through issues successfully, with an end date of the end of this year. The airline has successfully relocated its maintenance base to Manston and has had a good audit by the UK CAA. Various other improvements were also in process. They are intent on continuing operation in whatever manner it is possible to achieve.
My information is that this issue appears to be driven largely by the inspection team at Amsterdam who appear to have taken a particular dislike to the airline.
It's true that the airline has had to reduce the number of aircraft operated, partially brought about by the bankruptcy of the lessor.

Manston Airport
13th Oct 2006, 18:10
, they even have their own maint base at Gatwick , all approved?

There Maint base is now at MSE not LGW :ok:

James

Jes
13th Oct 2006, 18:20
There Maint base is now at MSE not LGW :ok:
James
Yetanotherdawn told us this in the post before yours

Kitoro Kid
14th Oct 2006, 12:49
It seems the EU sent a letter to Dairo in Uganda and Ugandan CAA by snail mail.... did not bother to courier it , that why they never recieved anything notice , maybe the letters they sent will turn up next month? If it is somebody in Holland that has taken a dislike to them , they have been well and truely stiched up!

r3500vdp
14th Oct 2006, 13:28
According to a dutch newspaper (Parool) - http://www.parool.nl/nieuws/2006/OKT/13/eco1.html - the request for banning DAS Air Cargo came from Germany where on Sept 25, a serious fuel leak was found. This, added to previous irregularities found at Schiphol caused the ban to be put in place.

justforfun
14th Oct 2006, 16:14
Check the list - DAS Air Kenya is banned - not the 5X aircraft... and by the way, the one in BRU, is not based BRU,it operate LOS-BRU-LOS...

Cheers
JFF

r3500vdp
14th Oct 2006, 16:29
That's a bit odd than I think.

DAS Air Kenya (ICAO code DAZ) is a ACMI only company formed by DAS Air Cargo if Uganda as per the aerotransport database which is normally very accurate.

DAS Air Kenya (DAZ) does not operate any aircraft of it's own. If DAS Air Kenya would be doing ACMI work, would they not be operating any of the 5X aircraft? In fact has anybody ever come accross a DAS Air kenya aircraft?

If this doesn't involve DAS Air Cargo, than why would the UK representative mention that they are surprised by the ban.

justforfun
14th Oct 2006, 16:35
No idea, however, as far as the ban is concerned, it applies to Operators / AOC holders - in the case of the DAS Air we all know - it holds a Ugandan AOC and is therefore a Ugandan operator... If I'm proved wrong, then fair enough... if anyone wants to cast their mind back 6-7 months to the last "blacklist" issued, there was a DAS Air included on that also - but in that case it was a (I think) Senegal(?) or similarly based operator...
And by the way, I don't work for them ! :eek:
Cheers
JFF :ok:

r3500vdp
14th Oct 2006, 17:42
I agree. The list is indeed a bit odd anyway. For example one aircraft which is excluded from the ban specifically by registration is the Air Bangladesh S2-ADT. As far as I know that aircraft is slowly turning into a nesting ground for birds at Manston and is not going anywhere...

STN Ramp Rat
16th Oct 2006, 09:49
I have heard that the DAS ban came into effect last night (Sunday) ... is this correct?

suppie
16th Oct 2006, 23:28
The ban started Sunday 15Oct at 0001 and it concerns the 5X-JOE, 5X-ROY
5X-JOS AND THE 5X-DAS

dionysius
17th Oct 2006, 07:51
JFF Looks like you were wrong................:ok:

Twitcher
17th Oct 2006, 08:20
URGENT STATEMENT FROM DAIRO AIR SERVICES/DAS AIR CARGO
ON THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION BAN LISTING.
Date: 16 October 2006 : 15:00 GMT
Issued By Dairo Air Services, Uganda/ DAS Air Cargo
Dairo Air Services, Uganda wishes to put on record, in the strongest terms, its
objection over the decision by the European Commission to include both Dairo
Air Services and DAS Air Cargo on the most recent list of carriers banned from
operating into and out of the European Union.
Neither Dairo Air Services or DAS Air Cargo received any prior notification that
the European Commission was considering such action, nor has any
justification for this decision been received by the Ugandan Civil Aviation
Authority, the airlines controlling authority. Therefore the company has been
unable to exercise any right of defence, which is embodied within the spirit
and letter of the European Union Directive which established the list.
The Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority and the Airline have always responded
to all communication from European airworthiness authorities when received;
it is after all in the interest of both parties to do so. If any communication
from the European Commission had been received prior to the publication of
the list then we are certain that through dialogue an operating ban would
have been avoided.
The ban entered into effect from Midnight on 14 October 2006 and as a
consequence, all operations to and from Europe have been suspended.
In an effort to protect the business the company is making strenuous efforts
to have the ban lifted, whilst a period of consultation can take place to
resolve any concerns that the European Commission may have.

Hangar_9
13th Feb 2007, 08:39
We find out next wednesday 21st Feb whethr the ban is to be lifted. all seems good so far. :}

Manston Airport
22nd Feb 2007, 17:55
Is there any news about DAS yet:confused:

James

Twitcher
22nd Feb 2007, 18:00
We'll all find out by the end of the month. All things concerning the EU take so long :ugh: You'll be second to know...after me ;)

BYALPHAINDIA
22nd Feb 2007, 19:30
I think the CAA should make their own decision about the DAS company, It maybe that there is someone in Holland making life hard for this long established airline?:hmm:

I think the decision to ban operators should be given to each individual country to decide on whether to allow such Airlines to operate to.

I am not suggesting anything, But there maybe something behind the German & Dutch Authorities decision to drive this decision forward?

I think DAS should be given adequate chance to run itself succesfully and safely on a 'probationary' period if necessary.

I don't think many Airlines can hold their hand up and say - We have never broken any SOP's or Rules of the Air.:hmm:

Maybe their are serious operational irregularities with the DAS DC10's, But the Authorities should work with DAS to hopefully get the Airline on a steady road.

You can't TAR all African operators with the same brush!

Regards.;)

Twitcher
22nd Feb 2007, 20:06
BYEALPHAINDIA,
you are 100% correct. The reason for the ban was political, nothing at all to do with the fleets serviceability. The UK CAA is quite happy with the airline and its very own 145 approved maintenance facility. Fingers crossed all will be ok and DAS will just avoid certain airports.

justforfun
22nd Feb 2007, 20:30
Folks, lets not miss the point here - DAS have scre*ed up SEVERAL times in AMS, as have GF who are by all accounts going through a similar scrutiny... is it fair? - probably not - but if it was going to be rectified - it'd be done by now as the operator is always made aware of these matters.
Commiserations to all with DAS that may be affected - some have already had their "voluntary / compulsory" redundancy offer... and the fact is, it is PEOPLE that suffer in these situations ... regardless of what the EU say.

"Avoid certain Airports" - Hey, that's just the way to go and run an International Airline... I don't think so my friend.

Best of luck to the guys still there... I really hope it works out to YOUR benefit!
Cheers
JFF :ugh:

EGMH
5th Mar 2007, 12:45
The updated Airline ban list is now available online.

Link (http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/pdf/list_en.pdf)