PDA

View Full Version : Algoa Flight Centre Port Elizabeth

lee-john007
12th Oct 2006, 07:43
Hello
I am planning for a CPL /IR/ME/ATPL in Algoa flight centre ,port elizabeth. Anyone who has any personal experience with that school or knows somebody who has trained from there,kindly share your views and opinions. Secondly is it possible to get UK RT in south africa?
Being an Indian,most importantly a fresher with bearly 200 hrs of experience is it possible getting a job with any of the airline companies in the African continent? Pls let me know of the universities in South Africa offering distance education so that i can continue my studies in any aviation related field or any other field also.
Your efforts in response to my above queries will be much appreciated
Thanks to all !
Ashley

chopperkie
12th Oct 2006, 08:46
Go to the website of UP(University of Pretoria).www.up.ac.za.They offer BComm degree in Aviation Management.

Dont know much about the flyingschool though.
Good Luck

Chopper:ok:

Irv
12th Oct 2006, 14:48
The UK CAA list of RT examiners is here, UK Caa RT Examiners (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_RTF_EXAMINERS.PDF) and ones based abroad are at the end- nothing listed for SA.
There was a recent letter circulated by the UK CAA which if I recall correctly specifically banned UK r/t examiners going out to India and doing tests out there. (I know you didn't ask for one there, but this sort of letter usually means something dodgy has been found happening but no idea if that was the real reason.)
As well as Uk radio examiner approval, usually both the equipment and the physical location for an R/T test has to be approved by our CAA. Funnily enough I'm doing some fun flying down in Algoa in November - its a good club, but I suspect the letter about India must mean our CAA are a bit sensitive about R/T tests in new places at the moment for reasons I'm not aware of! At least I can give you some tips over a coffee / beer / tea if you are there.

Contract Dog
12th Oct 2006, 16:35
Mate, do yourself a favour!
Go across the road to APTRAC, lot less politics, their simulator is currently the best for training in SA and they have a structured course designed by an airline pilot. Although i trained somewhere else, i recently did a 'tour' of the schools with a good friend who wants to fly and was really surprised at the high standard of APTRAC.
Good luck!:ok:

Woof etc
12th Oct 2006, 17:18
Go to avcom.co.za and do a search on posts by Ross_11

He is from India and did his training at Algoa - maybe he can help.

Tiger Bob
12th Oct 2006, 17:53
Don't get put off by one unhappy customer. Contract Dog obviously has an axe to grind - that is the normal case when you read the word "politics"

Algoa is a great environment to learn to fly - as suggested above - contact Ross - also from India. You could ask Algoa for his email address.

Good luck with your choice.

Leezyjet
12th Oct 2006, 18:03
I'm doing some fun flying down in Algoa in November

Hey I'm going to be down there in November too. You going for the 50th ?. I'll be there from 17th-30th. Have to hook up for a few beers to watch the 'boks vs England. :ouch:

Anyone who has any personal experience with that school or knows somebody who has trained from there,kindly share your views and opinions.

I did my PPL and night rating with them. Can't fault them. They got me through my PPL in 19 days start to finish due to a bit of a :mad: up by myself of the number of days I was actually in the country for !!!.

They really will go out of their way to help you get through and there are some great charactors around the club and on an evening too.

Depending on your personality though, depends on if it will be a good school for you.

Algoa is a flying club that has a flying school, rather than just being an outright flying school, so it is much more relaxed and laid back than "those over the road". They have a bar which is open almost every night at the end of the flying day, which "those other the road" frequent from time to time.

The laid back atmosphere is in no way a reflection on the quality of the training as that is second to non. There are 2 full time instructors and numerous part time instructors. Non of them are just hour building with the hope of going onto something bigger and better like you get at some of the bigger schools, they do it because they love to fly and want to teach people and a few of them are current airline pilots too.

I have been over to have a look around at the other place, and to be honest it was full of pretty boys who think they are something special strutting around in their little uniforms like they are already Airline Pilots. Yes the facilities might be more modern, and all singing all dancing, but Algoa's equipment does the job just as well.

That wasn't for me, I can't do with all that bollox. I much prefered the laid back approach from Algoa, and if I am paying THEM then there is no way I'm wearing a uniform like those Apc@p pretty boys. :E

(I also know a bit about what goes on behind the scenes at Apcr@p and it isn't all as rosy as Contract Dog makes out, so what if they have a structured course - not much good if they don't have any a/c available to actually do the flying.)

Algoa also have a good relationship with Sheltam, which are the maintainence company in the hanger next door, so any a/c down time is minimal.

Algoa's fleet of Cessna's have all recently been refurbished too, so they are of a very high standard compared to some flying schools spam cans - these a/c are some of the best cared for club a/c I have seen, most of the students and club members have their "baby" (mine is ZS-MXS ;) )so they do get lots of TLC.

With regards to jobs, a couple of ex-Algoa students are flying up in Botswana. I'm sure that you could be put in touch with them when you are nearing the end of your course and starting to look for work.

Good luck with your decision.

:ok:

Contract Dog
13th Oct 2006, 11:04
Sorry,
It was never my intention to raise the hackles of Algoa flying club, in fact i too understood it was more of a 'flying club' than a school as Leer points out, and as such i assumed the best place to train for your ATPL etc is once again as Leer says, 'a pilot training school', like APTRAC.

Lee John007 asks: is it possible getting a job with any of the airline companies in the African continent?

So, we can safely assusme that he wants to be an airline pilot, eh?
As APTRAC states it is a 'training establishment for airline pilots', and hence the 'pretty boy' uniforms as Leer calls them. I think the industry sees it more in the terms of a trainee's introduction and small part of the dicipline and professionalism required for the job of airline pilot.

Leer says:I have been over to have a look around at the other place, and to be honest it was full of pretty boys who think they are something special strutting around in their little uniforms like they are already Airline Pilots. Yes the facilities might be more modern, and all singing all dancing, but Algoa's equipment does the job just as well.

Sadly, LeeJohn007 this is what i was attempting to hint at without actually saying, about the politics involved in many other schools. Thanks Leer, for putting it so eloquently for us all.

Leer ...I can't do with all that bollox... there is no way I'm wearing a uniform like those Apc@p pretty boys.

I am guessing that someday poor Leer's aviation career may dictate that he has to don a despicable uniform and wonder what he will make of it all then? I am saddened to see this bitter and unprofessional philosophy instilled in some young pilots, yes, a uniform may seem trivial to some, but to passengers it shows dedication, pride and professionalism.

Leer (I also know a bit about what goes on behind the scenes at Apcr@p and it isn't all as rosy as Contract Dog makes out, so what if they have a structured course - not much good if they don't have any a/c available to actually do the flying... compared to some flying schools spam cans -

i am saddened that someone would knock 'structured tuition courses' so blithely, is that not what distinguishes good educational experiences from bad? What if the Matric were not structured? What if University was just a bunch of guys 'tellin it like it is?' SA would not have the reputation it has today, throughout Africa for its education.
As for the lack of planes i really can't comment, but i'm sure there were certainly over 8 when i visited.

As Leer states; APTRAC really does have structured courses, modern, all singing all dancing(?) facilities, a professional outlook and is a popular choice for those intending to be airline pilots.

But don't take either of our words' for it, why not get down there and make a decision for yourself?

Irishwingz
13th Oct 2006, 12:39
I did my PPL at Algoa in 2003.

I cannot rate the place higher, it was fantastic. There's no doubt that at first glance Aptrac looks like a more professional outfit but I assure you the equipment, staff and overall atmosphere (and price!)outweigh any perceived benefit of Aptrac.

Like leezyjet said, Aptrac was full of rich kids in white shirts, way too serious for me. A load of sh1te. I wanted somewhere laid back and fun but come away with a good standard qualification. I got both.

get treated like a person, not a chequebook.

Good luck:ok: fella

desert fox69
14th Oct 2006, 11:13
I too did my CPL at Algoa ending in 2004 having travelled there from England. What a first class flying school and such a pleasant atmosphere. Makes alot of difference when you are living far from home contrasted with the needlessly regimented MO of some of the other flying schools.

And having received training at Algoa, I am happy to say that I now fly a Beech 1900D in Algeria. After PE, I become a Grade II instructor in Joburg, and it was my impression that the basic flying skills that I was taught at Algoa were solid and usable and the students that I instructed who had done CPL training at other well known SA flying schools were just as proficient and not necessaritly supermen. If you train at Algoa you have no reason to imagine that you would somehow be a poor cousin to any of the other flying schools. I spent a brilliant year there.

good luck

lee-john007
15th Oct 2006, 05:43
Thanks to all especially leezyjet, contratc dog, fox69, and evry1 else who replied to my queries. Thanks a million !
I have decided to carry on with Algoa FC for my CPL since thier fleet majorly consisits of Cessna's and for my Atpl i may go to other side of the road,Aptrac.
Is there any who knoes how to get a Uk-RT in SA,it will really help me with conversion of RT In iNDIA .
I'm keen to know if any particular degree would help a Pilot in getting a job?
Once again thanks to all for your mix responses about Algoa FC
Ashlee

lee-john007
15th Oct 2006, 06:02
Hey Guys ..one more thing what is the difference between a VHF & HF RT
Is the SA RT VHF OR HF or do we have option to choose which one we prefer ..?

Woof etc
15th Oct 2006, 11:06
VHF = Very High Frequency.

VHF is used for line of sight transmissions and is the only type of RT you are likely to be exposed to in SA during your training.

HF = High Frequency

Used for long range transmissions - often used in Africa where the VHF transmitters and repeaters are often few and far between. Reception depends on frequency, height of the ionosphere, skip distance and various other factors. Not as clear as VHF and more prone to static.

You don't have a choice which to use in SA! The only one you have to worry about at this stage of your career is VHF - the joy of using HF will come later.

Leezyjet
15th Oct 2006, 12:02
Leer ...I can't do with all that bollox... there is no way I'm wearing a uniform like those Apc@p pretty boys.

I am guessing that someday poor Leer's aviation career may dictate that he has to don a despicable uniform and wonder what he will make of it all then? I am saddened to see this bitter and unprofessional philosophy instilled in some young pilots, yes, a uniform may seem trivial to some, but to passengers it shows dedication, pride and professionalism.

Sorry but who is Leer ? :confused:

I'm guessing you mean me, but you shouldn't be making judgements about my proffesional ability and wearing a uniform when you know nothing about me. I could already be working in the industry for all you know. I do not need to be taught how wear a uniform by a flying school that I am paying huge amounts of money to, and wearing one makes absolutley no difference to the training -you can still fly and be taught just as well in jeans and a t-shirt as you can in trousers and a tailord shirt, in my experience all it serves at the training stage is to boost peoples egos.
If I am working for a company that is paying me, I'll wear whatever the hell they want me to, be that a smart uniform, jeans and t-shirt or a chicken outfit.

Sadly, LeeJohn007 this is what i was attempting to hint at without actually saying, about the politics involved in many other schools. Thanks Leer, for putting it so eloquently for us all.

ALL schools have politics, even Aptrac

and as such i assumed the best place to train for your ATPL etc is once again as Leer says, 'a pilot training school', like APTRAC.

Please don't mis quote me, I NEVER said that the best place to train to be a pilot was 'a pilot training school' like Aptrac.

i am saddened that someone would knock 'structured tuition courses' so blithely, is that not what distinguishes good educational experiences from bad?

I NEVER knocked 'structured tuition courses'. ALL stages of flying training are structured by the syllabus that is set by the SACAA. Just because one school prints it out on a piece of paper that says weeks 1-4 will be PPL training and so on for example, and the other doesn't in no way means the other school isn't doing a structured course as well.

lee-john007
16th Oct 2006, 05:02
Hey Leezyjet c'mon forget it,dont be touchy.
Anyway buddies let me know how to get a HF RT too in SA.
Secondly no1 has replied on how to get a UK RT in SA?
Thanks to all,spending your precious time answerin my queries.
Regards
Ashley

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Oct 2006, 05:45
Your General Radio Licence would cover use of the HF set.

IShotTheSherif
17th Oct 2006, 13:25
For what it's worth - in my line I have in the past had to deal with students from every single flying club or training establishment in the eastern cape...

I will be doing my PPL next year and if I have my way will be at AFC. They are a good bunch. :D

sky waiter
18th Oct 2006, 09:17
Leer,

Maybe you should tone down your comments mate, a bunch of pretty boys strutting there stuff? Perhaps some proffesional jealousy, yes i agree the looks don't make the school but its a good start at a solid foundation in a carrer where almost every commercial operator makes you wear a uniform.

Nothing wrong with algoa or APTRAC best advice would be to come down and have a look to see for yourself. Not everyone is the same and you are more than welcome to deide yourself, probably the better option.

Tiger Bob
18th Oct 2006, 12:11
skywaiter - the voice of reason ;)

Politics = Intrigue or manoeuvring within a political unit or group in order to gain control or power

I think the reaction to Contract Guy is due to his derogatory post and could possibly be excused. Contract Guy is obviously out of touch with the reality of the relationship between Aptrac and Algoa in PE and has a personal axe to grind.

BTW - I am sure Contract Guy is a member of Algoa and learned to fly there. :=

Leezyjet
18th Oct 2006, 23:23
Leer,

Who is this Leer ?.

Maybe you should tone down your comments mate, a bunch of pretty boys strutting there stuff? Perhaps some proffesional jealousy, yes i agree the looks don't make the school but its a good start at a solid foundation in a carrer where almost every commercial operator makes you wear a uniform.

It was just my personal opinion of what I saw when I went for a look around. I know most airlines make you wear a uniform, but I don't think that should make any difference in the quality of training received in one school or another because you wear one or you don't.

Nothing wrong with algoa or APTRAC best advice would be to come down and have a look to see for yourself. Not everyone is the same and you are more than welcome to deide yourself, probably the better option.

I guess you didn't read my first post. :hmm:

Hey Leezyjet c'mon forget it,dont be touchy.

hey at least you got my name right !!! I was just clearing up some facts that I had been misquoted on by Contract Dog.

Asrian
19th Oct 2006, 20:00
I'm thinking about doing my PPL in SA. In PE there is also Progress Flight Academy. Which one would You prefer? PFA or Algoa? Why?

sky waiter
20th Oct 2006, 07:08
Hi,

Cant comment on the other two but if you want info on APTRAC (also based at PE airport if you didnt know :) ) please feel free to PM me

Tiger Bob
20th Oct 2006, 12:07
:= := := skywaiter

Of course you can comment about the other two - maybe you should have mentioned that you instruct at Aptrac to put it in persepctive.

sky waiter
20th Oct 2006, 13:35
OK

So hence no commment on the other two????????
Yes i instruct at APTRAC, so if you need any info then please feel free to ask, and seeing we are in the area it doesnt hurt to let people know.

As with all my posts i said people must come decide for themselves, no pressure or baised opionions....

Found that out the hard way, if you really want to know, through my own experiences.

Tiger Bob
20th Oct 2006, 14:20
Absolutely - when I get asked what school to go to my standard reply is:

1) The schools you mentioned all give good training but the environment needs to suit your personality and needs
2) Do not pay the full course up front - pay only a small deposit to secure your slot - there are far too many stories of people battling to get refunds and a school that is so busy that they have to have a huge amount to secure your slot - are probably too busy to give you personal attention
3) Visit the schools and have a chat with the admin people, instructors and other students to get a feel for the atmosphere. If you can't correspond with them and ask as many questions as you can. Just reading the responses can give you a feel
4) If you sign up at a school and after the first few lessons do not feel at home - do not be scared to move - it will not count against you
5) Remember you are the customer - if you are not treated like one - move on