PDA

View Full Version : Do you still keep fit?

pinklemonae
11th Oct 2006, 23:50
Hello Prunners!

I am wondering if cabin crew here are able to keep there fitness up?

I attend gym classes six days a week now. But I know this probably wont be possible when I start training and flying... I really don't want to lose my fitness that I've worked so hard for.

I'll be starting as domestic and will be home most nights. So I should have a chance for exercise then hopefully. I realise that long haul CC it would be a different story.

I am interested to know how often you get a chance exercise? And if flying effects your ability to keep fit?

Thanks in advance

Pinklemonae

Jetlagged Purser
12th Oct 2006, 00:54
Sounds like you are determined to stay in good shape and that, to me, is the key. I am somewhere in my 40's and have been able to continue to work out for all of my many years flying. I make to the hotel gym no matter how tired I am at the time. After a few minutes, I am energized and the exercise seems to help minimize the jetlag. Diet is also a consideration in our job. Lay off of the high fat desserts and stick to the basic good salads, vegetables, and healthy main courses and you'll be healthy and physically fit for many years!

flitegirl
12th Oct 2006, 01:30
The job itself keeps you relatively fit too. If you're too exhausted at the end of the day to do any activity, don't forget you're probably stuffed because you've had a very physical day on your feet anyway. You'd be surprised how many steps you walk during a day in the air.

pinklemonae
12th Oct 2006, 05:05
^^ It would be interesting to have use a pedometer during a shift just to see the numbers.

I agree that if you want to keep fit - you make sure it happens. Seems like this will be tested!

Thank you for the replies.

sebby
12th Oct 2006, 06:44
I found the gym is great on an overnight when you are bored... and swimming in a heated pool really soothes my muscles. Im relatively fit these days - just watch your crew meal intake! I think 4kg is the standard weight gain expectancy for new crew :}

Lol...... not to scare you ;)

pinklemonae
12th Oct 2006, 07:25
I think 4kg is the standard weight gain expectancy for new crew :}

You're kidding!

That does scare me.

pinkus
12th Oct 2006, 09:08
Yeah I put 6 kilos I know some girls who put on 10!!!

Just really make an effort to use hotel gyms. DO NOT eat the food on the plane bring your own from home. If there is no gym on a layover just go for a walk. Its a good way to explore where ever you are anyway.

ShesGreatintheGalley
12th Oct 2006, 12:12
i put on about 8 kilos when i first started flying.. but that was a combination of flying AND all the free food that was onboard at the time (you wont have that prob with JQ so dont worry... just bring your own lunch) The constant takeoff and landings (4 per day) are not the best on your body.. think of your organs like a sponge... everytime you go up.. they expand and contract.. so many people end up with minor bowel issues/bloating/weight gain - apparently as a doctor told me.. your organs are not designed to undertake the constant pressurisation... and will take a while to adjust.
Having said that.. lots of people have no problem at all.. so i wouldnt worry.

I used a pedometer for a while...and the amount walked does depend on your position and the time of day (fri night you do a million trips throught the cabin for more drinks obviously) but on average... we figured that you might walk about 4kms a day.

Only really painful if your not fit (so you wont have a problem) or you are wearing brand new shoes. *ouch*

most of us get to the gym reguarly with no problems..

Kawai
12th Oct 2006, 15:06
pinklemonae, regarding the pedometer a f/a from JAL used it on one flight and it came out that she had walked 7Km during the flight!! :eek:

pinklemonae
12th Oct 2006, 20:51
I am glad I have no been made aware of this.

I will be making an extra effort to keep fit now!