PDA

View Full Version : Navigator requirement in Ukraine ?

PorcoRosso
11th Oct 2006, 15:36
Bonjour All !

Boss plans a flight to Ukraine end of October. Destination still unknown, but probably a regional airfield in some remote place.
I remember a navigator was required for this kind of interior flights, years ago.
Do you know if this req is still in force ?
Cheers
PR

Gulfstreamaviator
11th Oct 2006, 16:43
the airport is in jepps then it almost certainly does not require a navigator.
If not in jeps then almost certainly will need navigator.

The Plates will be in Russian, and are available from the Russian AIS web site.

It is easy to re-write the heights on your copy of the chart, and the frequencies, the names of the beacon, not so easy, and the EGPWS override required.

The other reason for the navigator is when on the ground. It is NOT easy. But with a navigator, very simple.

You must expect to collect the navigator from a designated airport, and return him there too.

Good trip, and PM if more info needed.

Glf

PorcoRosso
11th Oct 2006, 21:23
Bonjour GulfstreamAviator

It seems my destination in Ukraine will be an Airport of Entry (finally ! ) Probably Kharkov , thus waiving the Navigator issue .
Thanks for your quick reply !
Best Regards
PR

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Oct 2006, 13:08
Great until on the ground, the handing was a bit basic, threw us at the hotel, take toilet paper and bath plug, also recomment a towel wth no holes.

Can not rememebr the name of the hotel, but shared accomodation.

Take some MRE with you, as the food in the hotel was also basic, but the bar was good.

There is / was a MacD in centre of town, and one or two reasonable restaurants, (no english translation).

I was lucky as been to Urkane often, (Kiev), so had local funds.....

Can not remember the runway state, but rest assured it will be not good.

I was there in heavy winter, so slightly biased my oppinion of the local beauties.

Please report back, as I hope it has changed, for the better.

Think there is a local magnetic anomiliy too.. (spl)
Enjoy.

chiaroscuro
14th Oct 2006, 04:28
PorcoRosso,

scanned trough your post.. comletely agree with GulfAviator. The only thing to consider is if all of your passengers and also crews are waived from any visa requirments. but then for Europeans this does probably not seem to apply as they apparently like you more then us. I had my flight attendant under house arrest and fined cause she came without visa (citizien from Israel) and heard the same story from a crew that had their southafrican hostie put under close hotel arrest and fined.

check with your embassy
CH

Gulfstreamaviator
14th Oct 2006, 09:55
I know they have changed the visa rules, so I agree, very the no visa countries, Jeps entry section should have answer.

leonard17F
18th Oct 2006, 21:21
Salut Porco !!

No need for a navigator.
Ukrainians fly in feet, not meters. Radio comms and navaids are pretty good.
Visa on arrival for EU citizens.
Handling is quite better than in Russia, at least at major airports.
People are also much nicer.
Hotels are OK, at least the nice ones in major cities (Kiev, Donetsk or Dniepopetrovsk, cant remember..., Odessa).
Weather can be tricky, especially in middle of winter.
Don't forget to remove all liquids (water, juices, wine) as well as drain water in sink and toilet tanks in very cold conditions (of course, you cannot use them on way back..). Put all bottles and cans in a big bag, and get it back on departure.
Catering is usually below average.
And beware of the young ladies waiting for you after dinner in hotel bars and lobbies... (Nicknamed "Alligators", cause they are on ambush in the dark ;) ). Some of these "rentals" are actually pretty cute...

PorcoRosso
18th Oct 2006, 22:30
Salut Leonard

Acutally, the trip to Ukraine was cancelled last minute ..
As far as I remember from my flying over there, altitudes were definitely metrics (I had my mate, with a small walmart computer, converting all the clearances .. )
Last time I was there was in November 2004, during the Orange Revolution !

Can only agree with you about the cuties over there !!! Gorgeous

But I have a rule paying only for beer ,and being benevolent for socializing (Well ...it may be the reason for my lonelyness ..huh ? .. )

Thank you all for your help !

PR

El Bucho
20th Oct 2006, 01:56
We didn't need one going in and out of Kiev. Altitudes were in feet too. That was surprising.

EB

PorcoRosso
20th Oct 2006, 09:20
My trip to Ukraine during the Orange revolution, was not bound to Kiev, but in a remote place close to the Romanian Border : Tchernivtsy (?) Don't know if it explain the metric business .. Anyway, as far as I remember, time was frozen in the 60's over there . Poor ATC english, virtually no Handling, but very helpful and nice people (they tend to wear all the same name : Serguei ;) )
A travel in time if you ask me, but a good souvenir.
The Airport director invited me in the office for a coffee and a chat (well ... he didn't speak a word of french or english , and my russian is ...limited ) Just above his desk, there was still pictures of Soviet Leaders : Stalin, Brejnev .... Amazing. The guy was in his 70's, a former navigator at Aeroflot (well, all the airport staff were former naivgators in aeroflot ;) )
The next day, when we had to leave, I remember the airport people helping me to prepare the plane "Quick ! Quick, the Orange Revolution is coming to the Airport !! Go ! Go ! They'll block the parking " Oh dear !
Finally we did it quietly (as the revolution was ) But I remember I could picture myself being jailed for obscure reasons ! (A bit paranoïd, maybe ? )

PPRuNeUser0215
20th Oct 2006, 10:26
But I remember I could picture myself being jailed for obscure reasons ! (A bit paranoïd, maybe ? )

Be Careful PorcoRosso, if you worry too much, you will end up bald ;)

PorcoRosso
20th Oct 2006, 14:18
No way ! T-Rex ;)

I am not bald, am just hiding my hair !

PorcoRosso
20th Oct 2006, 21:17
Hello Mike
I was fliying an old Kingair in those days, no FMS . Actually, the most advanced computer on board was definitely my walmart Calulator ;) and my CRP-5 Whizz wheel ! (well not very easy to convert altitude in metrics during an IFR approach, at night.... in snowfall )