PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Bases

Duble
10th Oct 2006, 23:32
Hello, I'm a resident in the UK but also have Canadian citizenship. I'm interested in working for Cathay in Hong Kong but would eventually like to end up back in Canada. I'm just wondering if there are any Cathay pilots out there who keep track of the availability of any Canadian bases on the passenger fleet? Is there typically a long wait for positions in Canada (either Toronto or Vancouver)? Are the new DEFO positions on the passenger fleet going to make it virtually impossible to get a Canadian base in the future?

I've done several searches on this forum but haven't been able to find any real answers.

Duble
16th Oct 2006, 05:59
Come on ... no one out there has any info?

Harbour Dweller
16th Oct 2006, 10:39
Come on ... no one out there has any info?

Chill Duble, that attitude will get you no where fast!

There are lots of Canadians wanting to go home on the Pax Fleet so it may take you a while.

Duble
17th Oct 2006, 02:58
Sorry, I didn't mean anything by that - I was just trying to bump the post back up to the top of the forum.

I'm sure there are a lot of Canadians trying to get back home but are you able to be any more specific? Once eligible to apply for a base in Canada is it a possibility or or are you looking at years on a waiting-list?

Harbour Dweller
17th Oct 2006, 14:21
The quickest path to be based in Canada on the pax fleet would take you at least 5 yrs at a guess.

I say this as this is roughly how long it would take you to hold Relief Command on the Airbus or be an FO on the B744. You would need to be in either of these positions to hold a permanent base in Canada.

With the unknown of what DEFO's will bring it really is a guess as to what opportunities will be like in 5yrs.

Say you join CX in HKG at the same time as a DEFO in Canada. They will be most likely frozen on their base for 4yrs before being able to bid to HKG. These guys may be wanting to transfer about the time you are eligible to bid for a Pax base.

Maybe you have the experience to join as a DEFO in Canada if it is ever offered?

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Duble
17th Oct 2006, 17:43
No appology necessary - that was more specific than any other post I was able to find on the subject within the last year. It was exactly the sort of to-the-point information that I was looking for. Thanks