PDA

View Full Version : R1.3bn upgrade for Cape Town Airport

4HolerPoler
10th Oct 2006, 12:29
Good news for Cape Town

Work is about to start on an upgrade of facilities at Cape Town International Airport, in what Airports Company South Africa says is the biggest construction contract ever awarded in the Western Cape.
Acsa said in a statement on Tuesday it would invest close to R1.3bn on a new domestic wing, an upgraded approach road system, an elevated road separating arrivals and departures levels, and a second multi-storey car park. On the air side, air bridges and additional aircraft parking bays would be built. The project, which will take about three years to complete, was awarded to Grinaker LTA in a joint venture with Stocks and Stocks. The airport's general manager George Uriesi said it was currently a seven million-passenger-a-year airport. "By 2010 we forecast it to be a 10 million passenger airport. To be able to accommodate this increase in demand, we must develop our infrastructure to provide capacity and enhanced customer service," he said.
Acsa said though the next three months would see only the "land enablement" phase of construction, activities would increase noticeably from week to week. It urged airport users to arrive early for their flights.

4HP

JetPark
10th Oct 2006, 13:19
This is really excellent news. It is nice to see ACSA putting revenue back into infrastructure.:ok:

What I'd like them to do now, is to allow me (and my customers / owners) to be processed into and out of the country within the GA Area there. I am so tired of the long and tiresome process of having to taxi to Bravo or Foxtrot Apron and to be treated like something from another planet after the excellent service that I get at Signature. Those poor guys must be sick and tired of running around between landside and airside all day long when I only do it - thankfully - once in a while. I believe the MD there is working on the problem. Good luck to him!

Go ACSA go! Not often I have something good to say about them.:hmm: