PDA

View Full Version : Buenos Aires

joemaco
10th Oct 2006, 11:51
Hello all,

I'm looking to travel to Buenos Aires in the New Year, and was wondering what experiences people have had flying there. For example which airline would everyone recommend, and perhaps how long the flight is.

hpcock
10th Oct 2006, 12:04
Hey Joe

Flew earlier this year to Buenos Aries with BA from LHR. Direct flight - 15hrs 55mins outbound, 15hrs inbound. Not sure if it still is - but used to be BA's longest flight (timewise)

747-400 operating the route at the time of travelling. Booked a couple of seats in Club World, for me & Mrs HP as BA econ IMO, is far too squashy for anything over 5hrs.

Wonderful place - must go again some time. Hope you enjoy it too

All the best
HPC

malagajohn
10th Oct 2006, 15:29
Hello all,

I'm looking to travel to Buenos Aires in the New Year, and was wondering what experiences people have had flying there. For example which airline would everyone recommend, and perhaps how long the flight is.

remember january is a high season month and there will not be a lot of available capacity in the fiurts 15-20 days of January

I've done Iberia and Aerolineas Argentinas in the last six months- Iberia is nearly all A340-600 series - i flew up the back and it was fine - food was so so but thats in line with most nowadays

I got a deal to fly up the front with Aerolineas on a 747 -400 - seats were old style and needs updating but it was comfortable and i paid a fairly low price

CHIVILCOY
10th Oct 2006, 15:33
Have been flying to BA every year at least once.
Mostly on Air France due to price factor, Boeing 777-200 very good Economy service.
BA on a 747-400 again Economy, direct but I think they now stop on the way.
Iberia last year due to price on a Airbus 340-600 despite what I had read about Iberia I really enjoyed the flight.
This December I am booked to go with TAM via Sao Paulo from LHR in Business Class as it was only £200 dearer than Economy,they get very good reviews.
If money is not a problem try play safe and go with BA.
Fares to Buenos Aires have risen dramatically this year, at least by 50% as planes are always full,it is a very high yield route.
I wish my wife had been born in Spain (a lot cheaper to get to)!!

joemaco
11th Oct 2006, 16:06
Hi all,

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of saving up to fly with BA, but if they stop over now, I think Ill have a look at the other airlines as well. I'm not the most confident of flyers, so any airline that makes the journey a little more pleasurable will certainly help.

Riverboat
11th Oct 2006, 20:13
Joe, they just about all stop somewhere en route, which is a real pity. the BA direct service to BA some years ago was excellent with premium classes nice and full, many of them flying on the same aircraft to Chile. Then they stopped the Chile leg and lost some pax, then they dropped the number of services to THREE and routed them all via Sao Paulo, and used B777s instead of B747s.

A sad decline, but a few months after the financial crisis in Argentina that precipitated this change, other airlines, such as Air France and Lufthansa were laughing their socks off, as they were operating full!

Now British, who had no Area Sales Manager at the time - the only Sales Manager they had for South America was based in Frankfurt ! - have got their act together somewhat, but they still haven't reintroduced the direct service.

As such, I think there is an argument for just going for the cheapest Business Class seat, whether it be TAM, Iberia or another airline. BA are not the cheapest - in fact they are pretty expensive, but in spite of my disappointment in them, they are the best.

The BA staff in Ezeiza are first class, and the city itself is well worth a visit, as it the country. Combine Argentina with Chile - two great places. The British are still regarded in reasonably high esteem, fortunately.

Chivilcoy - I will meet up with you in Chivilcoy one of these days!

RB

CHIVILCOY
11th Oct 2006, 20:22
If you prefer to fly during the daytime, Iberia have a daylight flight leaving Madrid at midday (connecting flight leaves LHR around 7.30am)which gets into BA in the evening.

I used that one last year and found it was better than flying overnight as I cannot sleep too well on a plane.

CHIVILCOY
11th Oct 2006, 20:26
Riverboat

"Chivilcoy - I will meet up with you in Chivilcoy one of these days"

For sure I am looking forward to my intake of Quilmes!!!:ok:

KiloMIke
14th Oct 2006, 09:37
I have been twice to Argentina. Once on Iberia and once British Airways.BA win hands down!

The service on Iberia was rather lacking and the crew were the most unfriendly I have ever experienced. Although they operate new A340-600 there is no personal IFE.

My partner is from Argentina and he flies home every few months. He said he thought the service on Alitalia is one of the best he had ever experienced on long haul.