PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/experience needed

green granite
9th Oct 2006, 15:48
Having had to retire due to ill health, I keep looking at things that could bring some money in as I'm in need of some, and I keep looking at the "fill in surveys and get paid for it" type things such as this one (http://www.paidsurveysonline.com/?hop=oaks2) Has anybody tried it and if so did you make any money?

PS I know this is JB so I'll expect the usuall ***** as well :hmm::E

UniFoxOs
9th Oct 2006, 16:30
Tried it for a while, always seemed that after I'd answered a few questions the survey turned out to be not for my class of person. For example it tells you this after you answer a question about pets - it obviously wanted to survey people with pets. What pi55ed me off was that this was usually about the 6th or 7th question - why couldn't they ask that first? Or maybe it was a sneaky way of getting the first questions answered without paying you.

Waste of time, IMHO

UFO

I haven't done too bad though selling off my years of accumulated junk on ebay.

Not Mushy Clean
9th Oct 2006, 17:23
I keep looking at things that could bring some money in as I'm in need of some

Gigolo?:8

:E

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2006, 17:49
Wouldn't that require amusing or funny material?

ThreadBaron
9th Oct 2006, 17:53
G-CPTN
Took me a while but got it eventually. As gorgeous spotter has remarked already in another place, you are naughty ...................but amusing;).

green granite
9th Oct 2006, 17:55

http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/PMSL.gif Too old unfortuantly http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/cry1.gif

ShyTorque
9th Oct 2006, 18:23

Is that like a piccolo?
I always wish I'd learned to play a musical instrument.

;)

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Oct 2006, 18:31
Magazines are always on the lookout for articles and interesting stories. Perhaps you should make some enquiries among a few of your favourite magazines as well as the ones who need stories of local interest. Who knows, you may be the next Alistair Maclean.:ok:

green granite
9th Oct 2006, 18:34
I suppose 1 out of 5 replies being sensible is about right for JB:hmm::ugh::)

Thanks for that UniFoxOs

brickhistory
9th Oct 2006, 18:36
Agree about the magazine angle especially with what was listed on your profile. Most aviation and related (model building references, etc) are always looking for new material.

Downside is that once a piece is accepted, it could be many months or a year or more until it appears and the magazines don't pay until after publication.

Good luck!

green granite
9th Oct 2006, 19:02
Thats an interesting idea Twotty & brickhistory will look at that one :ok:

Mr Lexx
9th Oct 2006, 19:31
GG,
I use ciao for surveys, I have made about 30 so far, you will never be able to call it an income though.
J

IB4138
9th Oct 2006, 19:47
AhGranite

Been where you are, got a full box of t shirts!

Feel for you mate!

That's why I left the UK, for a better and less stressful life, in a country where people aren't as judgmental (and it costs less to live) and don't throw you on the scrap heap because of your illness.

green granite
10th Oct 2006, 10:43
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply, greatly appreciated:ok:

green granite
10th Oct 2006, 11:34
Thanks for that Mr Justice looks interesting does that wiil explore further:ok:

gingernut
10th Oct 2006, 13:11
gg, got any tranferrable skills?

green granite
10th Oct 2006, 13:26
Fraid not Nutty :hmm:

dontpickit
14th Oct 2006, 18:07
GG, if you have a technical background, this looks like a relevant growing sector that might fit freelance or part time work:

http://www.nher.co.uk/pages/accredited_experts/home.php

Apologies for the late response (the link occurred to me after posting in the recent double glazing thread).

ormus55
14th Oct 2006, 22:13
sell stuff on ebay.
almost guaranteed to make some money as opposed to any other ripoff/scam you may see around.

find the right product and the right price and the world will beat a path to your door.
trouble is everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

i personally know one guy who makes 50000 per annum trading on ebay.
there are other guys who make a lot more.
you can run a mail order businesses from the kitchen table.

Davaar
15th Oct 2006, 00:07
It is a problem that might face any of us. The answers are infinite, but you have to look.

A few years back I was visiting in the UK. Chap knocked at the door. Would my hosts like a framed aerial picture of their house? Well.... let's discuss it.

The fellow had been a butcher and his employer closed down. He was out of a job. He thought about it and came up with the picture idea. He knew nothing of photography or aviation, but he knew a man who had an ultra-light. He bought a cheap camera, combined the two, and he was in business.

The only snag was, the pictures were just awful. He got chatting with the man who processed the photographs, explained what he was trying to do. Well, said the man, you don't have a snowball's chance with that camera and that method.

What should I do? The photographer explained the kind of camera he needed, which was of course very expensive. After discussion, the photographer undertook to buy the camera and rent it to him if he got the processing business. His own capital outlay was very little; he needed a car and gasoline.

The next thing was the aircraft. My man got in touch with flying clubs round the UK to find out who owned a 150 or 172 or whatever, but could not really afford all the hours he'd like. Turned out there were many people like that. So my man made deals to "wet-lease" the 150 by the day, with owner-pilot. Then he went round farms, suburbs, and the like, district by district all around the UK, soliciting orders. Of course, there were difficulties like weather, but that was just part of the challenge.

When we met he had been at it several years. He told us he worked when he felt like it, went off with the grandchildren when he felt like it. He had the car of course. He'd never go back to his trade.

As he was telling me, it crossed my mind that yearts ago I had occasionally done almost the same as he for a professor of archaeology. Aerial photography shows up precisely where Roman and other long-deserted settlements and roads once ran. I had been at my studies and never took it further. I did not have the brains of a butcher.