PDA

View Full Version : Career Change - Scheduled/Charter to Corporate?

Whoops
9th Oct 2006, 13:36
I'm currently an A320/A321 Captain with a UK scheduled/charter airline, aged 40 with 5,500 TT, 5000 Airbus, 1000 PIC Airbus. I'm looking for a change as I'm bored flying to Spain 18 times a month with a company who is continuously pushing it's pilots to the limit. Minimum days off per month (normally Monday and Tuesday - weekends off are rare), maximum flying hours, mornings, evenings and nights on consecutive days, 18-30 rest periods the norm, below industry average pay, pension in jeopardy, long haul unlikely (wrong fleet - change unlikely), staff travel poor, F/O's in transit awaiting BA/Virgin, lots of roster disruption (no scheduling agreement) etc, etc, etc.
I appreciate the grass always looks greener but I would be interested to hear advice on getting a corporate job from anyone who has already made the transition - the lifestyle and pitfalls? I've searched threads on Netjets and the like but would prefer flying for a company or individual.
Additionally does anyone have any info on corporate Airbus positions?
Ta.

avfuelman
9th Oct 2006, 13:46
Try Twinjet Luton, Aero Services Corporate Paris, Qatar Royal Flight

Whoops
11th Oct 2006, 11:16
Thanks AvFuelMan.

Has anyone out there actually made the transition from airline to corporate? If so how did it go?

Road Devil
11th Oct 2006, 18:51
The grass may well look greener but your tales of woe in the airline industry are often replecated within corporate too. I began in corporate then a brief spell in the airlines and back to corporate and although I will vote for the biz jet every time it doesn't suit everyone.
Be careful about where advice comes from. The Seneca/ Kingair crews have a different outlook on life compared to the Gulfstream/ Falcon drivers with markedly differnt pay and conditions. Citation/ HS125 somewhere in the middle I guess.
One point that is well worth considering is the usually complete lack of or extremely flexible roster. It can be difficult to plan ahead like you can with an airline roster. An understanding partner is a must and even then AIDS can strike! (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) I believe it began in the corporate sector of aviation ;)
Good luck

SilentHandover
11th Oct 2006, 19:35
Try reading this thread and look for other postings about the same driver

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27667