Hugh Gorgen
9th Oct 2006, 10:58
For those so inclined:

Richmond Air Show

RAAF Base Richmond
Richmond NSW
21–22 October 2006

From Warbirds to the giant C-17 Globemaster

The Air Show will feature a variety of exhibitions and ground displays to entertain the whole family and an exciting flying program featuring some of the Australia's best vintage warbirds through to jets and helicopters in service with the Australian Defence Force today.
The Air Show celebrates:

90 years of flying from RAAF Base Richmond
85 years since the establishment of the Royal Australian Air Force
the biggest Air Show at Richmond since the Bicentennial in 1988.Special thanks to Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, CityRail, Temora Aviation Museum, Commonwealth Bank and Hawkesbury City Council for their contributions.

Visit www.defence.gov.au/raaf/airshow/index.htm (http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/airshow/index.htm)

Aussie
9th Oct 2006, 11:28
Are the Yanks bringin down there C17 are they...?

Aussie

Milt
9th Oct 2006, 12:18
Richmond Aerodrome Beginnings

Flying from Richmond commenced about a few months earlier than October 1916. From the memoirs of one Delfosse Badgery -

When war broke out, Guillaux had been immediately recalled to France. He had taken with him his Bleriot monoplane, but had sold his Caudron biplane to a young Frenchman, J.C. Marduel, who conducted a school of languages in Castlereagh Street, Sydney.

It is difficult to imagine anyone more adventurous than Marduel, for, having bought an aeroplane, he decided to teach himself to fly it. The team of mechanics with Guillaux had assembled the aircraft, which had been flown by Guillaux in test flights. It was stored in a shed near Centennial Park, and Marduel bravely began his self-taught flying experiments in that park. Attempting to rise from the ground, he crashed into the branches of a Moreton Bay fig tree. The aircraft was damaged, but the aviator was unhurt. It was at that rather late stage that Del’s advice and help were sought. If Marduel had joined forces with Del at the beginning, they could have established a profitable flying school, as the larger Caudron owned by Marduel was a two seater and he was agreeable to using his machine for that purpose.

Del realized that, if he could repair the damaged machine, Centennial Park was totally unsuitable as a flying-field. Its sand-dunes, scrubs, swamps and lakes provided no large level space of cleared ground, and its situation on ridges between the Harbour and the Ocean was one which suffered from fitful sea-breezes and turbulent air-currents, such as that which had contributed to Marduel's mishap.

Flavelle's paddock at Concord was too small, and too much encumbered with stumps and trees, for use as a flying-school field. It therefore became necessary for Del to find a site for an aerodrome large enough, level and clear enough to be used with very little effort of preparation, yet within a short traveling distance of the city, but not in a densely inhabited suburb.

If such a place could be found, and a hangar and workshop built there, and if Marduel's Caudron could be borrowed, leased or acquired and economically repaired, then Del's dream of a Sydney Flying School could materialize.

As the Australian Federal Government, through its Department of Defence, was taking an extremely limited view of the use of aeroplanes in wartime, and was proceeding in a leisurely pace with the instruction of only four military officers at the Central Flying School at Point Cook, Del and his cousins asked the New South Wales Government for assistance in providing an aerodrome in order to establish a Civilian Flying School, from which, military aviators could also be trained.

The State Government, under the ministry led by Premier W.A. Holman, took a favorable view of that proposal. The arrangements for selecting and developing a site for a Government Aerodrome, under the supervision of the Minister for Public Works, Arthur Griffith, were entrusted to A.G. Cutler, Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department.

In April 1915. Del accompanied Cutler on visits to various areas of Crown Land on the outskirts of Sydney, but Del considered that none of the suggested sites was suitable as an aerodrome. The Government had insisted that the site for the aerodrome should be outside the metropolitan residential area.

"I know the ideal place," said Del.

"Where?" Cutler asked him.

"Richmond Common:" said Del.

Several times he had made flights to that vicinity thirty miles to the northwest of Sydney, and had landed on the large, level, treeless common of the town of Richmond, on the Hawkesbury River. Del knew that this area was close to the original farm of his grandfather, Samuel Badgery. Hence Badgerys Creek.

“The Common belongs to the townspeople," said Cutler. "It is administered by trustees, but I suppose that they would give permission for an aerodrome there. It can never be sold to private owners, or used for cultivation or residential sites, and it is not used much for its original intention as a pasture for the townspeoples' cows. Most of them don't keep cows nowadays, as milk is supplied by dairy farmers who keep their cows in their own paddocks."

"It's not Crown Land, then?" asked Del.

"No, it's a Town Common, under an old Act of Parliament based on English law and practice. If you want to have your aerodrome, flying-school, hangars, and workshops there, the State Government has no power to make the land immediately available, as it could if it was Crown Land. You will have to obtain permission from the Trustees of the Common. Are you sure that this is the best site?"

"Easily the best.'" said Del, enthusiastically. After 125 years of settlement, the only Crown Land left unoccupied within thirty miles of Sydney was on hilly, stony, sandy, or scrubby soil - unsuitable for farm-cultivation or pastures, and for that reason also the unoccupied Crown Lands were unsuitable for aerodrome sites. It was a stroke of luck that the Richmond Town Common, a large level space that had been cleared of its trees by the pioneer settlers of the town, in quest of firewood, had been so heavily grazed by town cows and horses that it had a turf-like covering of grass that would make an ideal runway for aeroplanes taking off or landing.

The trustees of the Common gave permission for its use as an aerodrome, and for the erection of a hangar at the edge of the ground. In the meantime the State Government entered into negotiations to acquire the Common, this involved complicated legal procedures.

In April, 1915, Del Badgery and J. C. Marduel erected a shed on Richmond Common. Marduel’s damaged Caudron biplane was housed there, while Del worked at repairing it, and eventually he took it up for test flights.

That was the beginning of the Richmond Aerodrome - today one of the main bases of the Royal Australian Air Force. It was Delfosse Badgery who selected the site, and first flew an aeroplane there.

At that time (April 1915) the war in Europe was beginning to spread much more widely than had been expected. The Ottoman Empire (Turkey) had entered the war on the side of the Central European Powers (Germany, Austria and Hungary). This closed the Dardanelles Strait to the transit of war-materials by sea to Russia. Large British, French, Indian, Australian, and New Zealand forces were encamped in Egypt, in training for a military attack on Turkey, which would include an attempt to force the Dardanelles Strait by a military landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula.

Although 20,000 Australian troops had been sent to Egypt, leaving Australia in November 1914, there was no Australian Military Aviation unit in that expeditionary force.

EPIRB
9th Oct 2006, 13:55
Does anyone know if there is going to be a DVD made of the airshow?

Aussie
10th Oct 2006, 00:11
The RAAF photographers will be taking footage, so yes there will be a DVD with the footage. However i dont know if it will be on sale to the public. :confused:

Aussie

PLovett
10th Oct 2006, 01:27
Aussie,

Until things got hot in Iraq and Afghanistan and they needed the capability there the Yanks were flying C17s through Richmond to service a well known "secret" installation in Australia weekly.

Their performance is quite amazing, especially when PIC decides to demonstrate such capabilities.

However, to refer to them as "giant", as Hugh Gorgon does, seems overkill when you compare them to a C5. :ok:

CIA Stooge
10th Oct 2006, 04:18
The RAAF photographers will be taking footage, so yes there will be a DVD with the footage. However i dont know if it will be on sale to the public. :confused:
Aussie
This is just a long shot but you could try the Australian War Memorial web site's online shop a few weeks after the event - they carry a lot of Defence related Videos.

Hugh Gorgen
10th Oct 2006, 09:48
The USAF is bringing a C17 down for the show and it will perform a flying display. The phrase "giant C17" is from the RAAF website. I tend to agree that this is an exaggeration. The RAAF is reportedly expecting 70 000-100000 people each day.

Aussie
10th Oct 2006, 15:06
Aussie,
Until things got hot in Iraq and Afghanistan and they needed the capability there the Yanks were flying C17s through Richmond to service a well known "secret" installation in Australia weekly.
Their performance is quite amazing, especially when PIC decides to demonstrate such capabilities.
However, to refer to them as "giant", as Hugh Gorgon does, seems overkill when you compare them to a C5. :ok:

Yeah mate, thats right.

However for the last yr or so its been replaced by a KC10 arriving on Monday and departing Wed.

Hence why i ask are they specially bringin the C17 in for the Show!

Aussie

Mick.B
10th Oct 2006, 20:48
2 F-15s are coming down from Japan as well.

Captain Sand Dune
10th Oct 2006, 21:26
Hence why i ask are they specially bringin the C17 in for the Show!

Ummmmmmmmm..........coz the RAAF is buying C17s perhaps?

[QUOTE][The phrase "giant C17" is from the RAAF website. I tend to agree that this is an exaggeration. /QUOTE]

You may want to re-visit that statement when you're standing next to one!:eek:

sydney s/h
10th Oct 2006, 22:24
Does any know if it is only defence aircraft or any word on QF sending up one of their birds?

Want to bid for it -pending a/c type!

Aussie
10th Oct 2006, 23:32
Ummmmmmmmm..........coz the RAAF is buying C17s perhaps?
[QUOTE][The phrase "giant C17" is from the RAAF website. I tend to agree that this is an exaggeration. /QUOTE]
You may want to re-visit that statement when you're standing next to one!:eek:
Yeah the RAAF is buying C17's..........from BOEING, not the USAF.
Aussie

Gateway Customer
10th Oct 2006, 23:44
Sydney

Yes they are sending the Connie.

Good luck with your Bid

Dog One
11th Oct 2006, 03:24
every time I go through darwin, there always seems to be one or two C-17's parked. Easy enough to fly one down to Richmond to show joe public what we are buying.

Aussie
11th Oct 2006, 06:14
every time I go through darwin, there always seems to be one or two C-17's parked. Easy enough to fly one down to Richmond to show joe public what we are buying.

Sure is easy, but what im saying is, its the USAF going out there way and those aircraft are there for a reason and are probably required.

RAAF has bought the C17's from Boeing and not the USAF, so USAF doesnt have to bring anything down...

Aussie

Magoodotcom
11th Oct 2006, 10:28
[QUOTE=Captain Sand Dune;2901124]Ummmmmmmmm..........coz the RAAF is buying C17s perhaps?
Yeah the RAAF is buying C17's..........from BOEING, not the USAF.
Aussie

Ummm...no, CSD was correct. We're buying them from the USAF which buys them from Boeing...it's called FMS.

Magoo

Aussie
12th Oct 2006, 01:40
[QUOTE=Aussie;2901322]
Ummm...no, CSD was correct. We're buying them from the USAF which buys them from Boeing...it's called FMS.
Magoo

Are you sure of that? If it is, i sit corrected. However i was fairly certain it was from Boeing.

Aussie

Critical Reynolds No
13th Oct 2006, 01:44
Here's the first Stallion in Seattle.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/fizzychops/RAAFC-17.jpg

Captain Sand Dune
13th Oct 2006, 01:47
Good camo scheme! I can't see it!:)

Aussie
13th Oct 2006, 11:52
Thats a mad photo!
Aussie

Point0Five
13th Oct 2006, 23:44
Magoodotcom is correct, the C-17 is being acquired through FMS; not Boeing.
http://www.defence.gov.au/dmo/lsp/c17.cfm
To quote from wikipedia:
The U.S. Department of Defense's Foreign Military Sales program facilitates sales of U.S. arms, defense equipment, defense services, and military training to foreign governments. The purchaser does not deal directly with the defense contractor; instead, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency serves as an intermediary, usually handling procurement, logistics and delivery and often providing product support and training.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_military_sales

Aussie
14th Oct 2006, 00:40
My apologies people!

The information i had was clearly incorrect!

Cheers

Aussie

apache
21st Oct 2006, 06:49
I have just returned from the airshow. I must say that the Defence force /RAAF did a magnificent job! and value for money!!!!!
for $20per adult we got the whole day, including return rail. we took the Mother in law plus sister in law and nephew and niece (kids at $5 pp).

The kids LOVED it, except got a bit frightened by the noise, but once the flying started, it was non stop. Got a couple of good photos too .. at least mum in law did!

everyone very courteous and helpful, public transport was GREAT!including courtesy busses during the show to and from the train station.

all in all, a VERY enjoyable, and affordable day. Well done to all involved.

Captain Sand Dune
21st Oct 2006, 21:57
No mention of the ADFs busiest flying unit in the website I see.:hmm: Did not attend myself, but I bet they weren't mentioned anywhere else either.

Two aircraft did turn up to wave the flag though, although they had to invite themselves!

Bell_Flyer
22nd Oct 2006, 00:44
I wonder why they won't allow GA aircraft in? A small area could be cordoned off for GA helos to visit and park, NOTAMS and ATC can control helos and fixed wing coming and leaving safely? Other airshows allow this. :bored:

The_Cutest_of_Borg
22nd Oct 2006, 00:59
Probably security issues..

Point0Five
22nd Oct 2006, 02:05
No mention of the ADFs busiest flying unit in the website I see.
The RAAF balloon? :E

Aussie
22nd Oct 2006, 04:52

Yeah thats what i heard..

Aussie

Bell_Flyer
22nd Oct 2006, 05:32

Let me see, thousands of members of the public attending, OK; Any one overflying Richmond when CTAF (R), OK; looking at Richmond via Google Earth, OK; members of public in gliding club using the aerodrome, OK; GA pilots with ASIC - NOT OK?! Why introduce ASIC in the first place? Why have an airshow at Richmond if it is such a security risk? :rolleyes:

Captain Sand Dune
22nd Oct 2006, 06:47
No mention of the ADFs busiest flying unit in the website I see.

The RAAF balloon?

Ummmmmmmmm.........nope! Try again! ("RAAF Balloon", indeed! harrumph!)

wonder why they won't allow GA aircraft in? A small area could be cordoned off for GA helos to visit and park,

Probably because there quite simply wouldn't be the room. However there was a sizeable warbird contingent from Temora.

Icarus53
22nd Oct 2006, 09:08
Just got back from day 2, and fully endorse earlier comments on a great event. ALthough I can't say it's at the same level as some airshows you can see in the US, the flying program offered a wide variety of different types with some impressive displays of performance.

Aerobatic displays were unfortunately hampered by clouds to a small degree, and the Roulettes couldn't put in a full routine (understand the lead was out with a broken leg??):(

C17 short field landing capability was quite a sight - obviously a tonne of reverse thrust and some pretty hot brakes, but you wouldn't expect 200,000 kgs to pull up that quick. I'm sold.

Just to throw my two cents on security - although you might thonk your ASIC should get you in the door, this doesn't abrogate Defences need to separate John Q Civie from certain areas. Having civilian aircraft in the base creates a host of additional security requirements: you need to control access to the parking area (and make sure non-ASIC holders aren't let in), and all of this requires additional manpower (which if you hadn't heard is pretty scant in the ADF just at the moment). You also need to start contingency planning for aircraft that can't get out due unserviceability and accept the risk civilian owned/operated aircraft present to service personnel and other visitors. We'd like to think it's simple, but sometimes the extra effort required is a couple of straws the camel isn't going to carry.

Anyhow - not a bad way to spend a day. Well done Ronnie, back to the Mess for tea and medals!:D

soldier of fortune
22nd Oct 2006, 09:16
old soldier boy was out there today with soldier boy jnr -must say the RAAF- put on a top day-good to see the pig out and about to start the flying display along with the hawk and hornets- would have been even better if the USAF sent more heavy metal- -C17 was amazing:D :D :D :ok:
bring on AVV

Magoodotcom
22nd Oct 2006, 09:54
The main reason for no GA visting aircraft was so the runway could be closed outside the airshow flying program time (1100-1600) for pedestrians to walk across from the trains.

There were so few car parking spaces available that they had to make it as easy as possible for train-catchers to access the show.

Magoo

Bell_Flyer
22nd Oct 2006, 11:10
The main reason for no GA visting aircraft was so the runway could be closed outside the airshow flying program time (1100-1600) for pedestrians to walk across from the trains.
There were so few car parking spaces available that they had to make it as easy as possible for train-catchers to access the show.
Magoo

If this is true, what about GA helos? Being an airport, you'd expect people to get there by aviation? Not entirely convinced. I fly to Avalon often - it has more flying demos, more static aircraft displays, smaller facilities, (because much real estate is taken by trade show stands, etc) etc. Just wondering if they invited airplane & helo visitors (this wld also encourage GA activities) even more people would come from interstate and also from country NSW.

Guess I'm a little old fashioned, expecting to fly an aircraft to an airport that is open to the public.

Point0Five
22nd Oct 2006, 11:14
Being an airport

Richmond is not an airport, it's an operational military airfield.

GA pilots with ASIC - NOT OK?!

That's kinda like saying everybody in the military with a security clearance should be given access to every bit of classified material. Doesn't work that way. :rolleyes:

kookabat
22nd Oct 2006, 11:35
Another reason for no GA fly-in: pretty much all of Bankstown would have gone across, I'd think - not very long to get there. And exactly where on the Richmond airfield would you have parked them all??

Kickatinalong
22nd Oct 2006, 12:01
I have just returned from YSRI it was the worst show I have ever been to, advertising was just plain poor, the Roulettes were only 5 off and whilst they flew they could have stayed on the ground.They are saying it's the last airshow at Richmond, "GOOD" if that was the best the RAAF could turn out they should not be putting on airshows. I think the Bosses at YSRI and Russell Offices should have a good hard look at themselves and should have got the Club that put on the 88 airshow to do it again, stick to fighting wars not airshows,the rail & buses were shocking, I finished up walking from the base to Richmond Station. Take the Pigs & FA18's away and the rest were only so so.
Kickatinalong:mad: :mad: :ugh: :ugh: := :=

TruBlu351
22nd Oct 2006, 13:48
I have just returned from YSRI it was the worst show I have ever been to

Dry your eyes princess. Remind yourself not to attend next time. You could probably have done with the walk anyway to work off your donuts :D

Captain Sand Dune
22nd Oct 2006, 23:35
But of course Kickinghisbong could have done a much better job himself:yuk: .

There's always one, isn't there?!

Kickatinalong
23rd Oct 2006, 01:46
Beware, or you will be labled the same type as me, it's good to see someone can see past the dump & burn.
Kickatinalong.:= :=

wessex19
23rd Oct 2006, 02:48
well I thought it was a great day. Continious flying programme, I thought the pig display was first class and a really tight display by the 4 F-18's. simmo's F-18 display at the end was the cream on the cake. well done to all involved!!!:ok:

Trash Hauler
23rd Oct 2006, 04:04
What a great event. Good flying and static displays. Excellent transport in and out. An excellent RAAF Base Airshow.

For those thinking it wasn't that good the website promoted it as a celebration of the RAAF base at Richmond and establishment of the RAAF, not an international event. I wager the resources are limited as Avalon gets the lions share.

http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/airshow/index.htm

TH

Critical Reynolds No
23rd Oct 2006, 06:46
Far better than last years Avalon!(prolly the last 2!) I hope some organisers were at the show to see how it should be done!

Also I voluntier to do the comments next time. When I say I will shut up to listen to the Spitie or Musie, I will SHUT UP!:ugh:

Critical Reynolds No
23rd Oct 2006, 06:50
I finished up walking from the base to Richmond Station.

Where you probably had to catch a bus back to Clarendon to get a train!:D

Kickatinalong
23rd Oct 2006, 10:52
Nope, my car was at Richmond, it saved me going to the gym that night, my first concern was for my wife. That's why I was so pi**ed off, with the lack of buses for Richmond after the show.
Kickatinalong.:ugh:

EPIRB
23rd Oct 2006, 10:56
Did the Spitfire fly on Sunday as it didn't on Saturday?

TruBlu351
23rd Oct 2006, 11:30
Did the Spitfire fly on Sunday as it didn't on Saturday?

Yep, it was getting a workout.

Hugh Gorgen
23rd Oct 2006, 12:13
The RAAF received some very flattering comments on the quality of the airshow from some very influential aviation types. This included senior reps from government, industry (Boeing, Lockheed etc) and the ADF alike.
The display timeline was very tight and all aircraft captains performed admirably to adhere strictly to timeline. The planning was generally very thorough and was pivotal to the shows success.
Rumour has it that the organisers of Avalon were briefed to take notes.

As was mentioned previously, the lack of adequate advertising / marketing was obvious. Marketing and self promotion is something the ADF is very poor at, and this was certainly evident here. To attract quality candidates, the ADF needs a slick recruiting process. This was certainly debriefed in depth (the crowd sizes were a tad dissappointing), however my guess is that the lesson will not be learned.

Roulettes down to 5 due to lead breaking his leg. Pretty hard to reorganise a routine a week prior to the event with a pilot not trained up to lead.

As for civil aircraft arriving and departing the aerodrome. It was certainly considered very seriously, however the organising team were very concerned with parking space and the requirement to close the aerodrome at around 9am to facilitate military aircarft ops. They decided ( to the displeasure of some) to prohibit civil aircraft.

blueloo
23rd Oct 2006, 12:46
I thought the airshow was good - not fantastic though. Wish the USAF could have sent a few super hornets, f16s, apaches etc.

Pitty we didnt have a tiger on show either.

Also would have liked NZ to show us their 757 display.

What I thought was abysmal was parking and the departure at the end. Absolute chaos. Needed to keep the parking attendants to help unpark the cars. All those pushy inconsiderate twits who just blocked cars continually. Glad I didnt public transport it either as the state rails finest brokedown.....

Ahwell.

Aussie
24th Oct 2006, 00:30
Sounds like it was a winner!

Good on the RAAF!

Aussie

gupta
24th Oct 2006, 01:55
However for the last yr or so its been replaced by a KC10 arriving on Monday and departing Wed. Aussie

KC10/C17 replaced C141: flies in and out every Monday bringing Budweiser, NTSC football videos & Chev parts for the Base crew. It's listed on the flight info displays inside the terminal

C5 used every now & then to bring in heavy machinery (fork lifts & semi trailer tractors, "other" machinery & equipment. First one to come in in early 80's actually blew away the bitumen on part of the 30 turning node

Jet_A_Knight
24th Oct 2006, 02:47
I went early on Sat morning, no traffic, got to park my car easily, and left just after the flying displays - no hassles whatsoever.

F111 was awesome, & i was surprised at the sound of the Meteor!

My one gripe.....that 'orrible bagpipe music that just wouldn't stop! Drove me absolutley nuts!!:ugh:

Critical Reynolds No
25th Oct 2006, 13:24
It was interesting seeing the state of Schofields on the train home. I haven't been out there since the last show (1985?). I was always told it was sold for houses. I couldn't see a house for cooee. Bit of a clean up it could be used again:confused:

Shadoko
8th Oct 2007, 12:42
Hello,

I'm very interested by the story about Richmond Aerodrome (post #3), and more precisely, by the ex Guillaux Caudron plane JC Marduel bought.

Is anbybody do know if this plane ever existe ? I'm particularly interested by this plane propeller ... and if somedy have a good photo of it, it will be marvellous !

PM

LauraLouise1972
24th Oct 2009, 07:49
Hi, does anyone know when the next Richmond airshow will be?

hadagutful
26th Oct 2009, 00:10
I would say who knows??
Townsville just had their RAAF airshow, they don't come too thick and fast these days, what with all the offshore work at the moment, wars, tsunamis and natural disasters, PNG prangs etc. AND not to mention the v e r y stretched defence budget.

Have a young friend now flying C17's out of Amberley and he is all over the place.
So not sure if anything is scheduled but could be sometime before you see anything resembling an airshow, I'd say just make the most from looking at individual aircraft movements!!

Critical Reynolds No
26th Oct 2009, 23:40
No word on Richmond hosting one for a few years. The next two will be at Willy & Pearce. Although unsure which one will host which year. Plus, as gutful has stated, they may not even hold one due to commitments and the GFC.
2011 is the 90th year of the RAAF and word was that Willytown would have it.

They also try to get to other bases first before restarting the sequence. So we've had Richmond (2006), Edinburgh (2007), Amberley (2008), Townsville (2009) and then Pearce (2010) and Williamtown (2011). So leaves others like East Sale, Point Cook, Darwin, Fairbairn etc before Richmond gets another look in.

Peter Finlay
28th Apr 2022, 04:22

Flying from Richmond commenced about a few months earlier than October 1916. From the memoirs of one Delfosse Badgery -

When war broke out, Guillaux had been immediately recalled to France. He had taken with him his Bleriot monoplane, but had sold his Caudron biplane to a young Frenchman, J.C. Marduel, who conducted a school of languages in Castlereagh Street, Sydney.

It is difficult to imagine anyone more adventurous than Marduel, for, having bought an aeroplane, he decided to teach himself to fly it. The team of mechanics with Guillaux had assembled the aircraft, which had been flown by Guillaux in test flights. It was stored in a shed near Centennial Park, and Marduel bravely began his self-taught flying experiments in that park. Attempting to rise from the ground, he crashed into the branches of a Moreton Bay fig tree. The aircraft was damaged, but the aviator was unhurt. It was at that rather late stage that Del’s advice and help were sought. If Marduel had joined forces with Del at the beginning, they could have established a profitable flying school, as the larger Caudron owned by Marduel was a two seater and he was agreeable to using his machine for that purpose.

Del realized that, if he could repair the damaged machine, Centennial Park was totally unsuitable as a flying-field. Its sand-dunes, scrubs, swamps and lakes provided no large level space of cleared ground, and its situation on ridges between the Harbour and the Ocean was one which suffered from fitful sea-breezes and turbulent air-currents, such as that which had contributed to Marduel's mishap.

Flavelle's paddock at Concord was too small, and too much encumbered with stumps and trees, for use as a flying-school field. It therefore became necessary for Del to find a site for an aerodrome large enough, level and clear enough to be used with very little effort of preparation, yet within a short traveling distance of the city, but not in a densely inhabited suburb.

If such a place could be found, and a hangar and workshop built there, and if Marduel's Caudron could be borrowed, leased or acquired and economically repaired, then Del's dream of a Sydney Flying School could materialize.

As the Australian Federal Government, through its Department of Defence, was taking an extremely limited view of the use of aeroplanes in wartime, and was proceeding in a leisurely pace with the instruction of only four military officers at the Central Flying School at Point Cook, Del and his cousins asked the New South Wales Government for assistance in providing an aerodrome in order to establish a Civilian Flying School, from which, military aviators could also be trained.

The State Government, under the ministry led by Premier W.A. Holman, took a favorable view of that proposal. The arrangements for selecting and developing a site for a Government Aerodrome, under the supervision of the Minister for Public Works, Arthur Griffith, were entrusted to A.G. Cutler, Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department.

In April 1915. Del accompanied Cutler on visits to various areas of Crown Land on the outskirts of Sydney, but Del considered that none of the suggested sites was suitable as an aerodrome. The Government had insisted that the site for the aerodrome should be outside the metropolitan residential area.

Several times he had made flights to that vicinity thirty miles to the northwest of Sydney, and had landed on the large, level, treeless common of the town of Richmond, on the Hawkesbury River. Del knew that this area was close to the original farm of his grandfather, Samuel Badgery. Hence Badgerys Creek.

“The Common belongs to the townspeople," said Cutler. "It is administered by trustees, but I suppose that they would give permission for an aerodrome there. It can never be sold to private owners, or used for cultivation or residential sites, and it is not used much for its original intention as a pasture for the townspeoples' cows. Most of them don't keep cows nowadays, as milk is supplied by dairy farmers who keep their cows in their own paddocks."

"No, it's a Town Common, under an old Act of Parliament based on English law and practice. If you want to have your aerodrome, flying-school, hangars, and workshops there, the State Government has no power to make the land immediately available, as it could if it was Crown Land. You will have to obtain permission from the Trustees of the Common. Are you sure that this is the best site?"

"Easily the best.'" said Del, enthusiastically. After 125 years of settlement, the only Crown Land left unoccupied within thirty miles of Sydney was on hilly, stony, sandy, or scrubby soil - unsuitable for farm-cultivation or pastures, and for that reason also the unoccupied Crown Lands were unsuitable for aerodrome sites. It was a stroke of luck that the Richmond Town Common, a large level space that had been cleared of its trees by the pioneer settlers of the town, in quest of firewood, had been so heavily grazed by town cows and horses that it had a turf-like covering of grass that would make an ideal runway for aeroplanes taking off or landing.

The trustees of the Common gave permission for its use as an aerodrome, and for the erection of a hangar at the edge of the ground. In the meantime the State Government entered into negotiations to acquire the Common, this involved complicated legal procedures.

In April, 1915, Del Badgery and J. C. Marduel erected a shed on Richmond Common. Marduel’s damaged Caudron biplane was housed there, while Del worked at repairing it, and eventually he took it up for test flights.

That was the beginning of the Richmond Aerodrome - today one of the main bases of the Royal Australian Air Force. It was Delfosse Badgery who selected the site, and first flew an aeroplane there.

At that time (April 1915) the war in Europe was beginning to spread much more widely than had been expected. The Ottoman Empire (Turkey) had entered the war on the side of the Central European Powers (Germany, Austria and Hungary). This closed the Dardanelles Strait to the transit of war-materials by sea to Russia. Large British, French, Indian, Australian, and New Zealand forces were encamped in Egypt, in training for a military attack on Turkey, which would include an attempt to force the Dardanelles Strait by a military landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula.

Although 20,000 Australian troops had been sent to Egypt, leaving Australia in November 1914, there was no Australian Military Aviation unit in that expeditionary force.
This is erroneous. William Ewart Hart first cleared Ham Common for his flying in 1912. He obtained a lease from Richmond Council in February, 1912 and. assisted by local farmer. William Percival, cleared the land on which he planned to operate his flying school with a Bristol Boxkite which he had previously flown at Belmore Park, Penrith (now Thornton). On 4th September, 1912, Hart crashed his 2-seat monoplane and suffered serious injuries. Later, as WWI progressed, at the urgings of young aviator, Andrew Delfosse Badgery- (A NSW Parliamentary Secretary at that time) the state Government took over the buildings built by Hart along with 37 acres of Ham Common which was later increased to 175 acres. A flying school was established in 1916. Facts from : pp 5-,6, 14,15, "The Aviators Nest", P. G. Rukin .

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
28th Apr 2022, 10:51
Wow! 15 years, 6 months and 20 days to the rebuttal.

Chronic Snoozer
28th Apr 2022, 23:46

Took that long to get Wikipedia updated.

Peter Finlay
29th Apr 2022, 07:36
Your comment didn't come to my attention until very recently. You will note that there are many references to W. E. Hart having obtained a lease from Richmond Council in February 1912 and he commenced flying from Ham Common in March of that year. This is one reference which confirms my assertion (not Wiki by the way) The ANU biography of W. E. Hart will confirm. I am not permitted to include URLs yet.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
29th Apr 2022, 11:28
My comment was only made yesterday. I don't care who founded Richmond. My comment was reference the thread mine.

Peter Finlay
30th Apr 2022, 00:08

William Ewart Hart obtained a lease of Ham Common in February 1912 and first flew there in March that year.