PDA

View Full Version : French ban smoking

ORAC
9th Oct 2006, 08:22
Gesture politics? If I go back to Paris in a couple of years are the floors of the small bars still going to be thick with butts? Or are the tabac owners going to be rioting on the streets and striking and get this withdrawn, like so much else of late?

France to impose smoking ban from next year

PARIS (Reuters) - France said on Sunday it will ban smoking in most public places from next February and in bars, restaurants, hotels and night clubs 11 months later. "We have decided to ban smoking in public places from February 1, 2007," Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin told RTL radio and LCI television.

The familiar "bar-tabacs", special bars that sell tobacco, night clubs and other such places would have until January 1, 2008 at the latest to comply with the rules, he said. Public places include stations, museums, government offices and shops but the ban will not extend to the streets or private places such as houses or hotel rooms.

Villepin said the state would provide for one-third of the costs of anti-smoking treatments, such as patches. "That would represent the first month of treatment," he said.

In a report presented on Wednesday, several parliamentarians called for a total ban from September 1, 2007 at the latest, without exception. But a smoking ban will cause problems for the many tobacco shops in France.

Villepin declined to comment on the impact it would have on government tax revenues, saying public health considerations outweighed any such fiscal impact......

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2006, 08:27
Sacre disque bleu!

tony draper
9th Oct 2006, 09:20
Well as long as they ban peeing in public. :rolleyes:

SXB
9th Oct 2006, 09:40
This will never happen, even if it does the French will simply ignore it.

We have designated no smoking areas in restaurants already (EU directive) but this is completely ignored if smokers out number non smokers.

There is already a ban on smoking in public buildings (like railway stations etc) but it makes absolutely no difference to the French who still puff away.

Most laws in France appear to be simply a suggestion, like stopping at a red light or a crossing in Paris or only cosuming alcohol in a bar when you are at least 18 years old.

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2006, 09:47
Allons enfants!

flyblue
9th Oct 2006, 13:35
We have heard all that already when the smoking ban became effective in Italy: it's never gonna work, bars and restaurants will be out of business due to lack of customers, people will never comply, etc.
But 19 months later, guess what, it's working!! :ok: People realized it's no big deal to puff outside, and bars and restaurants even gained back the non smoking customers that had been smoked out before the ban. No protests, no rebellions, no one is out of business. In the long run people realized it's better this way.
And if it's worked in Italy there are chances it will work in France as well :)

Sailor Vee
9th Oct 2006, 13:46
I'm totally in agreement with Flyblue on this. People said it wouldn't work in Ireland either, or Norway for that matter. But it does work, takings were slightly down for the first couple of months, but have now recovered. I see that the fine in France is going to be a lot less than elsewhere, so maybe that's where the government will be able to recoup the 'lost' revenue.

Andu
9th Oct 2006, 15:18
I absolutely agree. That's exactly what they did when smoking was banned in restaurants in France some years ago.

airyana
9th Oct 2006, 15:48
I am looking forward to adding some of what you said to the

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible" thread.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245141

Heliport
9th Oct 2006, 16:37

I rather admire the French approach to EU directives.
We huff and puff about the more bizarre stuff emanating from Europe, but are usually one of the first states to bring a Directive into our own law, and enforce it.
The French tend to say very little, introduce directives into their law gradually, and don't enforce them if they don't agree with them. :ok:

But it does work, takings were slightly down for the first couple of months, but have now recoveredIt works because, if proprietors enforce the law people have no choice but to comply if they want to go to bars/restaurants.

Whether there should be laws about it or proprietors should be allowed to respond to customer demand is obviously a separate issue.
I don't like smokey restaurants so exercise my freedom of choice not to use them. If places that allow smoking are virtually empty and those that don't are full, I can't see many proprietors not bringing in a 'no smoking' rule of their own free will.

matkat
10th Oct 2006, 06:29
All the "it won"t work" arguments were said in Scotland too, hey but guess what it"s working there as well, best piece of legislation the Scottish execitive c:ok: ame upwith