PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Marley69
30th Nov 2013, 00:41
Yes, going to the Sim in December, any one else going?

donpizmeov2
30th Nov 2013, 16:39
any DEC update ... thanks

jrmyl
30th Nov 2013, 22:40
The latest I have heard on the DEC front is they will consider you if you already hold a JCAB license. There is currently a course of 3 DEC's going through now.

donpizmeov2
1st Dec 2013, 08:08
Thanks ... next question is how to get a JCAB out of an FAA ATP?

gtseraf
1st Dec 2013, 08:39
join AJX as an F/o, then you will get the licence.

The way I understand it, to convert from any licence to JCAB, as an individual, is very difficult.

forgive the flippant tone.

The way things are done in Japan are very different in many ways to what a westerner would consider the norm. It generally takes a fair amount of time and exposure before a westerner can feel reasonably comfortable with this.

The recent pass rate with DEC's at AJX has not been very good,so I guess they are now looking for pilots who have had some experience flying in the JCAB environment before employing them as DEC's.

Basically, if you have not flown for another Japanese operation, the chances of a DEC position are, for now, pretty slim.

galdian
1st Dec 2013, 10:18
gtseraf is basically correct - if maybe a little shy.

Happy to be corrected - but there is NO WAY a paper transfer from FAA to JCAB can happen for a gaijin.
You hear enough horror stories from the young'uns who have headed to the states then come back with the FAA licence; it may work out a little cheaper overall but tons and tons of bull****.

One thing you have to understand - your "experience" may get you a position but once you lob into Japan you have NO EXPERIENCE and will be treated as such...because the only TRUE experience in the known universe is in JAPAN in a JAPANESE opertion.

Anything else is simply inferior, foreign delusion.

Get a position - get the licence as a consequence.

Cheers.

The Dominican
1st Dec 2013, 11:00
Some seem to cruise by and other have to be placed on suicide watch:ugh:
Don't really know why, it is just the way it is I guess. I particularly didn't think it was that hard, just long and repetitious........! The hardest thing I thought was to keep motivated for that long period of time, beer helped though:}

donpizmeov2
1st Dec 2013, 12:00
... see you at jetleg!

Marley69
12th Dec 2013, 16:03
Any updated's from those that went last in night Vancouver? any help is appreciated....

Marley69
12th Dec 2013, 16:11
Who is is Vancouver now? I am at the Ramada by the airport, let me know if you want to compare notes, etc
J

gearupflapsupshutup
3rd Jan 2014, 22:06
so Europe then?

Broomstick Flier
13th Jan 2014, 21:06
Dear friends,

I have been looking into this contract for a while and I will apply for a F/O position anytime soon, have to sort some issues with flight hours (PIC, cross country, etc) and some other small details first. I am currently on a 767 freight operator, under an ICAO license, and a bit shy of 2000 hrs, total.

For the time being I am reading the thread from start (page 10 already, wish me luck) but would like to clarify two doubts:

Upgrade to command: can F/Os expect to be upgraded to commander when the time/slot/experience/etc is there? Or is this a F/O forever contract, with no chance for upgrading?

Command rating: The ads I saw for this contract mention a valid jet aircraft command rating, what they mean with that? I was never rated as PIC on a jet aircraft, only first officer. Is this a problem?

Anyway, they ask 3000 hours minimum, again as per the ads, and looks I will have to get them first, meaning this is a mid-term project, perhaps not for 2014 but from mid-2015 ahead.

Arigatou gozaimasu :ok:

Cheers!

jrmyl
14th Jan 2014, 02:46
F/O's can expect to upgrade to Captain. The time frame has been sliding back though. It used to be around the 3 year mark. I am now approaching 4 years and it looks like I will upgrade right at the end of the 5 year contract.

If you have an ATP with a valid jet type rating then that will work.

The 3000 hours is a hard number, not for the company but for the JCAB.

Good luck.

gearupflapsupshutup
16th Jan 2014, 14:08
a question about the VOR SJU.
does one turn at 9d to remain within 11d? in HDG select 120 to HDG to LNAV select at 1/2 dot?
:ok:

Broomstick Flier
17th Jan 2014, 01:59
Thanks for the response jrmyl,

Will have to log some hours before I can apply, then.

Good luck to everyone!

romansandal
17th Jan 2014, 02:35
That's correct Gearup. They actually build the teardrop for you in the FMC. So, it creates a waypoint at the end of the outbound leg at approximately 9nm. Because you are flying outbound in LNAV, the waypoint is pretty much your reminder to select HDG and turn on to 120 exactly as you said.

Actually, one trap I found was that the 767 HDG button is actually a HDG hold as opposed to the 737 where it is a HDG select. To use heading select you actually have to push the HDG rotator switch.

Hope this helps.

RS

WYOMINGPILOT
17th Jan 2014, 13:05
Any update on DEC hiring? Last I heard they were requiring a 767 type rating and a JCAB license, any changes? I ask as I have heard they have had quite a bit of turnover lately and some shortages starting in the left seat.

gearupflapsupshutup
17th Jan 2014, 20:22
Thanks RS!
I am 'playing' the good old FSX with an add-on called FlightOne LevelD and I must say it does give you a good idea of where to find stuff, and how they operate, incl. cdu.

767 Autopilot
17th Jan 2014, 21:48
If you don't have JCAB ATPL you have about 1% odds of being hired as a DEC. Normal turnover is about 10% a year, I think last 18 months it has been slightly less than that.
We have plenty of Captains, still a lot Captain-Captain flying. Need more FO's.
If you want the job, get hired as an FO and upgrade near the end of the first contract.

gearupflapsupshutup
19th Jan 2014, 14:27
if one has to go around, let's hope not, what on earth and where on earth is the go round button?? push sw??

The Dominican
19th Jan 2014, 20:05
Photos: Boeing 767-266/ER Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Kras-Air/Boeing-767-266-ER/1556465/L/&sid=2e5bb6534684e0a5a93811608e7c682a)

They are the switches on the back side of the thrust lever handle (at each side) the ones with grooves on them for grip....! The black switch on each side of the TL's (where the GA switch is on many airplanes) is actually the A/T disconnect switch

gearupflapsupshutup
19th Jan 2014, 20:28
Thank you Prof.Dom :ok:
I looked on about 50 photos couldn't find it. This is a very clear pic!

The Dominican
20th Jan 2014, 01:13
@Hanyou

The reject portion of the T/O briefing goes something like this.....!

This is a flaps 5 DR2 from rwy XX
I will reject for any malfunction bellow 80Kts (don't worry for the criteria to determine what is a worthy malfunction right now)
Between 80Kts and V1, I will have Go-mind ness and I will reject for any power loss on one of the engines, any fire or smoke indication, any malfunction that greatly affects the safety of flight (again, don't worry about the criteria of what determines the malfunction worthy of a reject over 80Kts.)
Monitor speed brakes and auto brakes and advice me of their operation, also advice ATC of the reject.
We will stop on the rwy and check status of the A/C and proceed with recall items and checklist as appropriate, we will advice the cabin and ATC.....! (For now just leave it like that)
After V1 we will continue with the T/O and get stabilized on the SID, cilmb between MSA and any altitude constraints in coordination with ATC (make sure that you mention what is that MSA and what is the altitude constraint from your SID chart) and perform recall items and checklist as appropriate, make a point to confirm that you are bellow your max landing weight (during the sim eval you will be, the weight of the evaluation is 300,000) and we will return to rwy XX, no notams that are affecting our taxi out to the rwy or our return (there will be none during the evaluation)
State the question, Any questions or comments?

At that point you will already have your W&B, so the cockpit preparation continues as per the paperwork they will send.....!

Fratemate
24th Jan 2014, 02:02
Are the V-speeds preloaded somewhere in the CDU (under INIT REF?) for both takeoff & landing?

No, we don't (yet) pre-load the speeds into the CDU. Most of the aircraft still don't have speed tapes and we continue to use the 'old' system of moving little white 'bugs' around the ASI for our reference speeds. The takeoff speeds are in a little book that lives in front of the thrust levers. You select the appropriate weight and the relevant speeds are there for you to bug up on the ASI. There are two sets of speeds depending on temperature/assumed temp (flex) but that won't apply to you, so you'll just be using the 'low' speeds. It's much more obvious when you see it versus my description.

The landing Vref is available when you hit the INIT REF button. It takes your present weight and displays the Vref for flap 20, 25 & 30.

During the V1 Cut, does the auto-throttle automatically disconnect? If so, at what point? My notes indicate that when leveling off with max con set, the PF should reset the thrust to 80%N1; so, I'm curious about what the auto-throttle is doing at this point...

No the A/T does not automatically disconnect. You'll leave the power where it is, rotate slowly to about 10-11 degrees and control the yaw as you've always done. Once the gear is up and above 400ft you determine the failure and call for the appropriate checklist or memory item drill. The first actions following an engine failure, fire etc are to turn off the A/T arm switch (on the MCP) and close the appropriate thrust lever. From then on it's manual thrust and the A/T will be doing nothing, since it is turned off and will not re-engage

Also, how is single-engine VREF determined? My notes have it listed as 144-kts at 280,000 lbs. Should the speed command bug be set to 149-kts in this case (5 kts additive), then?

Single-engine landings are carried out with Flap 20, the speed of which is available on the INIT REF page. SO, on the ASI you will 'double bug' the Flap 20 Vref. Your approach speed will be Vref20 + 5kts and this is what you set the Command Bug to (149kts in the case above). The other bugs are your minimum manoeuvring speeds and are always related to the Vref for Flap 30. Therefore, you'll have a bug set at Vref30+40 and Vref30+80. There is a 'spare' bug which you can do what you like with; some people move it to the top of the ASI, some put it at Vref30+20, some put it at their approach speed i.e. VrefXX+5, it's up to you

atpcliff
24th Jan 2014, 15:33
Cant cx subscription to thread....had 2 post again 2 cx.

Fratemate
27th Jan 2014, 01:57
I've heard the maximum BMI is 28 for the pre-employment medical but have never seen it written anywhere. The pre-employment medical is very similar but possibly very slightly more rigid than the annual JCAB medical. After the pre-employment medical you'll have your first JCAB medical prior to having the JCAB ATPL issued. This first medical is basically the same as the pre-employment medical with EEGs etc and the same sort of limits for BMI (again, nothing written that we can decipher). After that first JCAB medical things calm down a bit and they're not quite so exacting but, according to the rumour mill, they have a BMI limit of 30 before they'll report you to the JCAB and, allegedly, you'll find yourself on the treadmill for a 'stress' ECG test.

We're all overweight according to them but, to answer your question, 28 seems to be the absolute pre-employment limit, while 30 appears to be the 'employed' limit. Anything above 25 and you'll see red writing on the medical report.

alloha
30th Jan 2014, 01:49
Apart from salary (where Parc appears to offer the better one) ,i would appreciate your opinion on the following Q.Among Parc , Paramount and Rishworth. Who is the best Agent in terms of contract and support in case you ll get the job with Air Japan

Fratemate
30th Jan 2014, 02:35
Never heard of Paramount, so no comment. Rishworth sound like a mob to be avoided at all costs. Of your three choices, Parc would be my choice (especially as I've never heard of Paramount. HOWEVER, Parc have really become a very lacklustre company to deal with. They are absolutely spot on with pay etc but there's no support from them and the idiot who deals with insurance is always trying to save money and reduce the cover. There may be a fight this year if he tries to do what he threatened last year. In my mind you'd be better off going to Crew. They've now got a loss of licence scheme, which they never had before. It is true that you have to pay for it but it is a very good deal compared to what's on the open market but Crew's medical insurance is vastly superior to Parc's. The money you save with Crew's family coverage would more than make up for the LOL cover that you pay for and it doesn't have an 'excess' like Parc's. They all get paid the same, it's just semantics how the money appears on your wage slip but if I were joining again I'd have Crew first, then Parc and forget the rest.

gcpilot8
1st Feb 2014, 20:29
I thought that the BMI was to be 30 and under to qualify, I guess its otherwise. For pilots to have BMI of 28 in the US and western countries, they have to be quite fit and in shape.

BMI if flawed as it simply computes height and weight ratio. A more accurate index would be body fat ratio. People with muscles weigh more that people with fat. I guess Japanese do not know that muscle weighs more than fat. This is their game and they make the rules. Imagine US companies telling pilots to be under 28 BMI!

Staying under 28 BMI would require one to be on sushi and Japanese diet!

On a side note, how are KAL people with the BMI number?

The Dominican
2nd Feb 2014, 00:25
BMI if flawed as it simply computes height and weight ratio.

You can bring Sanjay Gupta to make that argument for you and it will make absolutely no difference....!

Fratemate
2nd Feb 2014, 11:06
For pilots to have BMI of 28 in the US and western countries, they have to be quite fit and in shape

Maybe, just maybe, that's what the Japanese are looking for when they carry out the medicals; quite fit and in shape as opposed to unfit fatties. Seeing the size of some of the US crews (and other countries of course) I actually side with the Japanese and don't think it is unreasonable for them to expect pilots to be the correct weight and not the size of a hippo.

As TD says, it doesn't matter what your opinion of BMI is, you either conform to their standards and how they want to play the game or you don't join.

Edited to add: As far as I know KAL take the same approach and the numbers are the same. The Chinese are less forgiving.

jrmyl
2nd Feb 2014, 21:19
I thought that the BMI was to be 30 and under to qualify, I guess its otherwise. For pilots to have BMI of 28 in the US and western countries, they have to be quite fit and in shape.

BMI if flawed as it simply computes height and weight ratio. A more accurate index would be body fat ratio. People with muscles weigh more that people with fat. I guess Japanese do not know that muscle weighs more than fat. This is their game and they make the rules. Imagine US companies telling pilots to be under 28 BMI!

Staying under 28 BMI would require one to be on sushi and Japanese diet!

Man GC, if you have this much problems accepting the bMI standards, how will you deal with all the other little things that they do during training? One of the first things you learn here is to don't ask why. If you do you will drive yourself crazy and you will not be successful in the training. :ugh: Sometimes you just got to accept that these are different people with different standards and go with it.

gcpilot8
4th Feb 2014, 19:27
You can bring Sanjay Gupta to make that argument for you and it will make absolutely no difference....!

I don't think Japanese will even listen to the Surgeon General :E

As TD says, it doesn't matter what your opinion of BMI is, you either conform to their standards and how they want to play the game or you don't join.

Only wishing that they would be more practical than the age old BMI, but I guess it's one way of keeping a lot of people out from this competitive job.

Man GC, if you have this much problems accepting the bMI standards, how will you deal with all the other little things that they do during training? One of the first things you learn here is to don't ask why.

I do not have any problem accepting their BMI standards but was just wishing the process was more scientific, accurate like body fat ratio. Even the US military accepts body fat ratio even if the BMI is high.Pilots with a lot of muscles and who do weight lifting are adversely affected by their BMI rules. Those pilots could be perfectly fine on the inside but just because of having muscles they get disqualified . I was just WISHING that they would take a more scientific, reliable, practical approach. I guess just like the "white gloves" policy, this BMI technique will stay.

If I ever get fortunate enough to join, I think I will go fine with the "culture" there as I was born and raised in Asia and lived there for 20 years. I do understand the culture and expectations.

Having said that, time for more exercise and healthier options :O

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge. We, newbies, appreciate a lot.

Good luck and blue skies ahead

gcpilot8
5th Feb 2014, 15:58
Guys

Working as expats on a contract multiple time zones away from home, how do you guys stay fit and eat right?

Do you guys workout during layovers, during off days in Japan or just workout during the 12-14 days when back from Japan? I know the short answer would be "whatever it works for an individual", but would love to hear different stories and individual perspectives.

Also, do you guys follow a strict diet or just go with the flow? Please share about your exercise and diet plan if you don't mind.

Thanks

Fratemate
7th Feb 2014, 02:19
There are a fair number of Europeans in AJX, including those from the UK, Denmark and Spain. ANA has a direct flight to LHR, so it's an easy commute. This service will be moving to HND in March, so there's a very good chance you'd be able to use Virgin instead, which has better timings for their flights and means you don't have to swelter in the sub-tropical temperatures found on ANA's flights.

Kraus
7th Feb 2014, 07:01
26-28 degrees!

Fratemate
8th Feb 2014, 02:07
FlatBroke,

Secure job in your home city, just stay there.

If you want to experience the Far East then travel during your leave. Want to experience a bigger aircraft perhaps? Don't bother, they're all the same size once the flight deck door is closed and it's only a matter of flaring a bit earlier. Want to get a command earlier than you might at home? Again why bother if you're at home and the pay is okay....it'll come eventually. Current employer annoying you? They're all the same and it's just jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Single + employed flying + living where you WANT to live, rather than where you NEED to, sounds to me like a winning combination.......the grass is not necessarily greener :ok:

PS: It's snowing in NRT at the moment and the weather is crap, so it's not just England :)

ju757
14th Feb 2014, 03:48
Just wandering if you still do fly with the 767 to Singapore?

Fratemate
14th Feb 2014, 08:44
ju757,

At the moment ANA mainline are flying the SIN flights and the AJX resources allocated elsewhere i.e OKA midnight pairings. Having said all that, there are allegedly going to be 6 cargo flights per week to SIN starting fairly soon, so we may well end up picking up that work.......apart from the Saturday trip because that will give a day off in SIN and would obviously need to be done by the Japanese :*.

ju757
14th Feb 2014, 10:40
Thank you for the quick answer.

Any changes to the other destinations or new project/destination coming up soon

The Dominican
17th Feb 2014, 17:19
@ju757

No one knows what's going to happen around here, not even our management:=

galdian
20th Feb 2014, 23:13
Hanyou

As long as you can understand the words "you must study harder" and "you must read more" with the occasional "I don't understand why you are doing that" then you'll have a pretty good grasp of instruction Japanese style.

Slightly different thought-ology compared with the west with more than a few "you can't be serious" moments that will arise to challenge your ability to suspend credability.

Some of the stuff you simply would not believe until you see it for yourself, all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose. :rolleyes:

Kraus
21st Feb 2014, 00:54
I think the pass rate is better for FOs', well it was...

There was a rough time when Alteon were doing the instruction solely, but I think the ANA guys are all back running it now.

Simple; if you can fly, you'll pass. Can someone quote the current failure rate? It used to be less than 10%. I am sure it is low and comparable to other airlines.

I suggest re-jigging the approach; instead of what if I fail? What about, when I pass?

Gambate to all.

alloha
21st Feb 2014, 20:43
I just got my confirmation for screening on the 8th of April :ok:.if someone else has the same date a PM would be appreciated.

dignified
2nd Mar 2014, 13:35
Is that you Dom. El quemaito? Coming to HND on 04/March for screening on the 5th. Staying at the Toyoko inn HND, any chance we can sit and discuss the whole process over a flow of cerveza Asahi or Sapporo?
It appears the B767-300 is a Cadillac to fly, not as sturdy and sophisticated as the B737NG, but the comfort of being able to slide your briefcase on the side of your seat. I am still holding the B737Ng oral guidebook you briefed me on prior to my FAA oral at Aeroservice. It would be a pleasure working with you there.
Matta Ne! Dominicano puro....:)

The Dominican
2nd Mar 2014, 13:48
Yo no soy el "quemaito" but I know him quite well...! Is he coming here for an interview? I wouldn't mind at all having a couple of "frias" with an old friend...!:ok:

Queloque! Yo soy de los pilotos de Herrera y tengo 7 años trabajando aquí.......! Cualquier cosa en que te pueda ayudar primo me dejas saber.

dignified
3rd Mar 2014, 23:53
Pues que buena sorpresa saber que existen dos Dominicanos tan hospitalarios.
Mi email es [email protected], déjame saber el tuyo, mi entrevista es mañana, si pudieses referirme a una buena guía de preguntas orales durante la entrevista con el panel de 5 Japoneses me ayudaría muchísimo.
Cordialmente,
Ed.

holdingatFL900
6th Mar 2014, 03:48
Segnor dignified.
Cómo fue su experiencia?
Por favor, nos ilumine.

atila_101
10th Mar 2014, 15:40
How many days are required for interview??

Fratemate
10th Mar 2014, 23:54
How many days are required for interview??

Approximately 0.0313.

dignified
11th Mar 2014, 09:26
Thank you for your patience HoldingatFL900, you must have been a frustrated astronaut, pretty much like Sandra Bullock in her latest film along with George Cloney. I have been jet lagged but let me elaborate in as much as I can to help.

Folks, AJX battery of interviews were pretty much what is condensed in this forum. I was very surprised and impressed with the speed of Medicals compared to old times, when doing a JAL interview in the U.S, it normally was a three day ordeal to complete a full JCAB medical at the Mayo Clinic in the twin cities Minneapolis/ St.Paul.

Flying the B767-300 SIM was very pleasant, very stable, the senior instructors observing very cooperating, they want you to follow the SIM guide by rote, but very flexible with preferences for instance when I opted to fly the whole visual pattern without a/p as it was the only phase where you want to have hands on the job. For those of you not familiar with JCAB SIM assessments or check'rides, there were three senior SIM instructors and one HR observer during my SIM assessment for 90 minutes, so yes, you are being watched:8

If I may, I would like to contribute to future candidates with the following:

1. Arrive in Japan with sufficient time to be well rested. Yes HOTAC charges are from our pocket this days, but it is not worth to compromise your performance for saving a few $$
2. Check in at the hotel is after 16:00hrs, no waivers, and check out is 10:00. I wished I would have been told this before by the agent, to roam around the day of arrival saving one day charge by checking in at 16:00hrs.
3. Try to stay awake until evening time and catch up with new time zone.
4. Agents assigned for assisting you have a very tight schedule and very little time for baby sitting. If you cannot catch up with the pace of walk, then run.:ok:

To all of you invited remember that by being invited you have already made 50% of progress, its worth meeting the six panel of interviewees, they are extremely
pleasant, mature and they would make every effort to make sure you enjoy this operation. It is a long training even for JCAB holders, so make arrangements to bring your spouse and/or siblings, it is a commuting job, but only after you clear all training issues. Expect a class date 6 months after results, so stay glued where you are until you have a class date and a five year contract in hand.

The Dominican has vast experience in Japan, I recommend his treads on this forum.

Gambate o kudasai! (Good luck fellas) and acknowledge all ATC calls with :ok:

kesskidi
20th Mar 2014, 20:08
Hello all,
I've read some of those numerous and very informative pages.
Concerning the Air Japan 767 Non TR F/O, 3000TT and Captain Jet TR endorsed on ATPL are hard requirements.
I have 3200TT, Learjet 35 & 45 endorsed as captain but no 1000 transport Jet. Is this a hard requirement as well ?
concerning my path it's a typical Kanuk's path starting with some twin piston then turbine up North and now LR35/45 international ops.

thanks for your input.

Fratemate
21st Mar 2014, 13:53
Kesskidi,

It's always worth throwing an application in with one of the contract companies because you never know what they might say. However, I'm pretty certain the Japanese selectors want the jet transport time. Just looking at the experience levels of the FOs in the Company, I believe the smallest jet aircraft that have served to qualify are the CRJs.

As I say, give the contract companies a call, the worst they can say is 'no'.

kesskidi
21st Mar 2014, 19:25
Thanks for the advice fratemate,
As a matter of fact I applied yesterday and received a negative. Lear doesn't count.
Too bad, it looked like a good gig.
Later may be...

The Dominican
22nd Mar 2014, 18:42
As a matter of fact I applied yesterday and received a negative. Lear doesn't count.
I have a close friend of mine that has flown the 76 in airline operations but the company closed with him not getting the minimums they ask for, he is flying a GV now all around the world, this guy is an excellent and experienced pilot with over 12,000 hours and lots of jet PIC time and was willing to come here as an F/O just to make the jump back to airline flying again...., I couldn't even get him an interview, but they are hiring second officers from other airlines with no more than 3,000 total time and no PIC. :ugh:

Absolutely
23rd Mar 2014, 23:22
I doubt ANA would know what a GV is. :rolleyes:

gtseraf
24th Mar 2014, 01:06
Dom, you will find that these S/O's have more than 3000 hrs total and have PIC time, some were training captains in airlines prior to joining as S/O's. I feel for your mate, I have experienced the same thing before.

Fratemate
24th Mar 2014, 04:28
Exactly, G. They may have been S/Os immediately before joining AJX but prior to that they'd been F/Os on the 737 or 767......and with enough PIC to obtain their ATPL.

The Dominican
24th Mar 2014, 12:30
Guys, this is from what I have seen in their logbooks when I sign them...., ATPL minimums sure, but the fact remains that the experience level of the new joiners is less than half of what we saw in the past. Not saying anything against them, quite the contrary I'm happy with the new guys, they have a great attitude and are doing a fantastic job, I'm just stating fact.

and
25th Mar 2014, 04:16
Hi everybody,

Please I have two questions.

1 during the training period is not expected any time off to get home?
2 767 will be still in ops for long or they have plans for newer type?

Thanks a lot for any clarification

The Dominican
25th Mar 2014, 17:14
1 during the training period is not expected any time off to get home?
Expect to be in Japan for six months straight until your sim check rides with the JCAB, after that you will get some time off before the start of your OJT....!
What most guys do is that they have their family with them in their apartments for a period of time, just be mindful and DO NOT overstay the 90 days of the visa.....!

2 767 will be still in ops for long or they have plans for newer type?

When ANA finally parks the last 787 in the dessert to be turned into (whatever they make out off recycled carbon fiber) they will bring the crew back to Japan in a 76:ok:

If your desire is to fly something else, be it a 787 or anything else, I strongly recommend that you look elsewhere......!

gcpilot8
25th Mar 2014, 18:44
When ANA finally parks the last 787 in the dessert to be turned into (whatever they make out off recycled carbon fiber) they will bring the crew back to Japan in a 76

I stand to be corrected, but except for the freighter and tanker version there are no orders for 767 for passenger aircraft.

So, will ANA pass down the 787 to Air Japan when 767s are to be replaced; or will ANA buy 777s to replace 767?

At some point those 767s have to be replaced as there are not enough orders for passenger version of 767 for the program to sustain.

Fratemate
26th Mar 2014, 01:17
GC,

I refer you to The Dominican's previous post (1801):

No one knows what's going to happen around here, not even our management

The Dominican
26th Mar 2014, 02:21
Absolutely, no one knows what the future hold here....., but I think that it is pretty safe to say that the 76 will be around for a long time, therefore come here expecting to fly the 76, and another thing that it is pretty safe to say is that a lot of folks around here are getting drunk on the Kool-Aid:rolleyes:

gtseraf
26th Mar 2014, 06:31
we have been fed rumours of a type change onto the 777/787 for a few years now. I guess the Kool-aid is being consumed by many in the company, not only the contractors.

Plan on flying the 767 only and any changes to another type will then be a pleasant surprise.

romansandal
26th Mar 2014, 10:14
The current training program is roughly:

2 months in Tokyo - ANA training centre, Haneda
ATPL Law, radio, CRM and company stuff.
767 CBT and the first part of the sim training.

2 months in Seoul - Asiana sim centre
Simulator training

10-14 days off in your home country

3 months in Narita
Line training (OJT)
Some more classes at ANA training centre, Haneda.

Chocks Away
27th Mar 2014, 08:55
Hot off the press! (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ana-to-order-70-777s-787s-and-a320neos-397485/)

gtseraf
27th Mar 2014, 09:20
doesn't say what is replacing the 767s, :p

atila_101
27th Mar 2014, 11:08
In your opinion what is the best agency to go with? Is there much difference in the package?

jrmyl
27th Mar 2014, 11:38
If you live in the US, I consider Crew as the best agency. Well, actually, even if you don't live in the US I would go with Crew as it seems the Parc guys are always complaining about one thing or another. :p But anyway, the health insurance package that Crew offers can not be beat.

atila_101
27th Mar 2014, 11:49
Any restriction on changing agencies once inside or when the contract is over?

The Dominican
27th Mar 2014, 12:01
Any restriction on changing agencies once inside or when the contract is over?
There are restrictions....., they won't let you change within this contract and if you finish the contract, you have to wait for six months (????, I think that is the time frame) before you can apply to the same job with another contractor. Another restriction is that the contract company will NOT represent you with another job opportunity if you haven't completed the contract with AJX......!

gtseraf doesn't say what is replacing the 767s,

You mean after the 10 to 15 years they have already planed for the 767 to be around? Hopefully I'll be retired by then:D

gcpilot8
27th Mar 2014, 15:26
Chocks Away
ANA B777 & 787 order:
Hot off the press!

Looks like ANA management were reading this forum so they made that order instead of making people drink more Koolaid:E

You mean after the 10 to 15 years they have already planed for the 767 to be around? Hopefully I'll be retired by then

:ok:

kesskidi
31st Mar 2014, 01:49
Ho yeah, one last question :
You're all set to comute but a snow storm hits your departure airport i.e. Toronto, flight is canceled or might depart you don't know when.
Does the company have a policy regarding this kind of unforeseen circumstances comute wise ? What happens ?
Cheers

The Dominican
31st Mar 2014, 02:14
You get rescheduled....! :ok:

The Yank
31st Mar 2014, 13:47
If you C class...

The Dominican
31st Mar 2014, 15:40
The Yank
If you C class...

Doesn't matter......! All you need to do is once you get back to work then you make a deal with scheduling to add the day or two you missed to your work roster and there will be no deduction of work days.:D

alloha
31st Mar 2014, 22:48
I guess this one is with ANA guys
AirlineReporter.com - - We are AvGeeks Blogging on Aviation, Travel and Airlines. (http://www.airlinereporter.com/)

Absolutely
1st Apr 2014, 10:47
Correct, and they are putting a 787 on it in a few months time.

iggle piggle
3rd Apr 2014, 08:35
Hello gentlemen, may I ask how many nights a month (approximately) do you currently spend in Tokyo?

767 Autopilot
3rd Apr 2014, 23:00
Depends on your schedule. If you get 3x 5-6 day cargo trips, then you only spend 3-5 nights in Narita. If you get many short trips, or you have training, medical or stand-by duty, as high as 10-12 nights in Narita. Every month is different and they do not take requests for your preference.

iggle piggle
4th Apr 2014, 07:24
Thank you very much for your reply.

Fratemate
4th Apr 2014, 10:17
I've had a look at my schedules and reckon I average about 8 nights per month in a NRT bed. This obviously includes standby when I'm not called, required days off between duties (1 in 7) and simply a night between consecutive trips.

If you're weighing up the pros and cons of hotel versus apartment then, as far as money is concerned, you will end up dipping into your own pocket with an apartment (assuming you're not sharing other pilots) whereas in the hotel you would probably come out very slightly ahead of the allowance (taken over a year). However, this comment only addresses the financial side of things and does not compare the other arguments for or against an apartment versus the Excel Hotel.

romansandal
5th Apr 2014, 04:26
That's good to know Fratemate. How much is it per night and is there breakfast included?

Fratemate
5th Apr 2014, 06:54
I don't know whether it has changed or not but it used to be 5775 Yen per night. No, none of the meals are included but there's a 'crew restaurant' downstairs which is slightly cheaper than the regular hotel prices. The good thing about the Excel is their attitude towards AJX and check-out times. You can check-in at 0700 one day and check-out at 2200 the next night and they'll charge you for just one night. For Japan that is pretty good :)

Apartment prices are far too variable, so I'm not going to go there :ok:

The Dominican
5th Apr 2014, 11:26
The hotel will get old rather quickly, the UAL,AA cabin crew bitching about scheduling down at the restaurant alone will make you want to go postal..!
Apartments vary greatly as fM said, depends on how far you are from the train station, I would say that ¥70,000-¥120,000 one or two rooms 35-50sq. meters

Some of the guys share because you rarely coincide in NRT, but getting somebody that is house trained is a crapshoot......!:ugh:
Every month is different and they do not take requests for your preference.

95%correct, the other 5% of motherless F<|>|^%.....! Feel that they are entitled to certain trips:yuk:

jrmyl
5th Apr 2014, 15:29
With the increase in the tax on April 1st, the Excel is now 5,940 Yen per night. :}

kr575m
9th Apr 2014, 01:40
If you opt to stay in Japan on your days off, can you volunteer to pick up overtime or be on reserve? How is this compensated?

Fratemate
9th Apr 2014, 04:58
No, if you're on days off, you're on days off, simple.

There's no such thing as reserve. Standby duties are written into your schedule and there's probably about a 30% chance of you being used (they normally change the standby to a flight before the standby day arrives). These are normally one or two days in a row, although lately there have been examples of more consecutive days.

There are guys here trying to fight to preserve our days off and the flexibility of being able to chose when we want to take those days. A pilot who wants to prostitute himself and screw around volunteering to waive his days off all in the name of money will not be well received and will earn himself a bad reputation.....not good to be an overtime whore in such a small company.

jrmyl
9th Apr 2014, 05:10
Agree with the above. In regards to overtime, if you should happen to get over 70 hours you will be paid ot for the hours over. Prior to the merger it was common to get more than 70 hours in a month. Since the merger, not so much. I am averaging about 55 hours a month. Have had ot once since the merger and that was a month where I was in country for 24 days.

Buttscratcher
12th Apr 2014, 01:20
To the geographically challenged noobs, I say again, Narita is not Tokyo!

Fratemate
14th Apr 2014, 00:35
Thanks to the mods for re-naming the thread and bringing it up-to-date. Hopefully one day we'll write again and get the 'B767' changed :)

The Dominican
14th Apr 2014, 06:39
http://advisoranalyst.com/glablog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/drink-the-kool-aid.jpg

:=

Fratemate
14th Apr 2014, 09:33
I'm assuming that's not aimed at me, Dom. As someone who is definitely NOT a suck-up for any reason I cannot imagine it is :ok:

Ronand
14th Apr 2014, 10:52
As Fo can you expect to fly mainly with other expats? Or are u flying a lot with japanese captains? And what are the chances to get an upgrade as expat Fo in the current situation?

The Dominican
15th Apr 2014, 00:10
@Ronand......!

I recommend that you go back and read the posts on this thread, I realize that it is massive but if you just go back about a year worth of posts and read from there on, you will get all the information you want but most importantly, you will get a lot of information you didn't realized that you needed. Your questions for example, they have been dissected and explained over and over and over and over:ugh: over and over and over...! :ugh:

alloha
15th Apr 2014, 02:53
I was really skeptical if i have to write this post but i think every new info to someone who wants to join Air Japan would be useful .Its gonna be long enough

Agent: I found Parc to be very professional .They supported me quite well .From the time i expressed my interest it took me 58 days to find myself landing in HND.To be More precise they offered me assessment dates 12 working days after i send the full package of the required documentation.

Traveling : If you book through various e-ticketing sites (i used LH official,of course i picked code shared flights with ANA) call ANA'S office in your region and ask for ANA reservation code.It gives you access to ANA web check in 24h before flight and emergency exits in economy are FREE AND AVAILABLE.

Hotel: The biggest problem.Room is something like 12 square meters .I wish i knew that.Since i payed for hotel , i should have asked a better place with a better bed.IMHO if 150-200$ its nothing for this job.I only managed to sleep 5 hours.Actually i never got used to the jet lag.Arrived in hotel at 16.00 and went out for a walk.I only slept from 02.00 until 07.30 .

Screening. I was alone.Theo other guy call it off the last time.I started at 15.15 with the written exam.FAA stuff.Two ladies from the ANA HR.Extremely polite.I was done in 15 minutes.Then the MMPI.I spent almost 1 hour and then they called me for the sim briefing.I got in to the room.3 retired ANA's pilots the 2 ladies i mentioned before and another guy mid 40's from the HR.The best board of people i ever met.BY FAR.Friendly and casual made me feel like home.THEY WANT YOU TO SUCCEED .Just a few Qs about my travel to Japan etc.Then the sim briefing.One of the pilot apologized for his English.He told me they have recorded the briefing and he was pointing out the key factors on the board.I had a few questions.About the T.O Briefing (he told me only the V1 aborted rules according to your company) and approach briefing (Frequencies and M.A he told me in his best smile).After 45 minutes we were done.They offered me a break of 15 minutes.I went outside ,one of the ladies from the HR ,asked me if i need anything and told me "you are doing great keep it that way.
At 17.25 i got back in the room.It was like a family gathering.so relaxed.The HR asked me about ANA.I knew a lot.about the 5 star on Skytrax they had received 5 days ago.About the last flight of 747.About the new slots from Haneda even about the new employees started in April in a ceremony in Haneda.They were pleased .She told me that.Then the guy told me about a class on September or November.I Said i would do nothing but some extra vacations and maybe study about the 767.He was looking for dedication.I just said the truth.
Pilots interview: 2 questions each. P2 duties during CAT2 (they want you to tell about taking control if no decision at minima and initiate a go around), runaway edge lights.Then the other pilot asked me about GPWS and E-GPWS.The last guy asked me about microbursts and the difference about contact approach and visual approach.25 minutes and i was done.I asked for a small break before i get done with MMPI.The same lady asked me again if i need anything.She told me that everything is perfect so far.She was impressed from what i told them about ANA.Then i get done with MMPI and at 19.30 it was sim time.They told me that since i am alone i have 2 take offs for orientation on couple approach doing nothing and then a visual approach conducted by me.So it was almost another 30 minutes.During the assessment period everything was superb.i maintained altitude and airspeed i called the SOPS the way they wanted.After completing the VOR approach my captain told me "ok 3 minutes break your doing great work".I was very tired close to my limits.Final take off Engine cut(#2) again everything fine.according to the sim briefing.Then on the base turn disaster found me.I used and intermediate setting on rudder trim.i asked for flaps 5 speed 175 and add some thrust.i felt my right leg relaxing on the rudder the aircraft rolled to the left almost 35' bank.I applied rudder with full throttle lost 200ft then gain another 200.Speed all over.I managed to make the final turn fly a stabilized approach but i knew it it was over.Landed.the captain told me to relax.This HR lady was inside the SIM was evenly shocked with me.it took me 3 minutes to get myself together.I gave my hand to everyone .it was bittersweet.They were so nice and did everything to help me.I walked out of the sim.the HR lady talked to me again (oh we gonna have hard time now to decide).I smiled and told her."I know i failed but i couldnt do anything more.i was collapsing from fatigue".The rest of the board were outside the Sim.I personally thank everyone of them .Back in the hotel.2 hours later the mail of rejection arrived.I didnt expect anything less. I was :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: for the next 3-4 hours.I knew i messed a great job opportunity,maybe a life time changer and i know i will not have another shot with Air Japan.I wish i could but:=. All in all do some basic study be your self ,show commitment ,learn a lot about ANA AND FLY THE :mad:SIM.Its all it takes.They are wonderful people with great attitude.Good Luck to anyone who will have an assessment with Air Japan

alloha
15th Apr 2014, 02:55
Oh i forgot. 13 years flying solely the 737/EFIS with 6000H.I did my last LPC in March and my last flight was late January.Cheers

gcpilot8
15th Apr 2014, 04:42
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience.With your attitude and humbleness, you will find something good. Good luck and stay positive.

Thanks again

jet747
15th Apr 2014, 16:58
Hi Alloha, Thanks for sharing !!

That event prepare you for the next one so don't give up, keep searching and you will found what is there fore you.

I have a very old type rating ( B 727 SIC ) on my ATP Certificate. I really don't need it anymore since I'm typed on B 747, 757, 767 and i'm currently flying last one.

When you work overseas they really don't like to see those limitations.

Help please,

Thanks,

Jacob

Fratemate
16th Apr 2014, 04:24
What do you need help with?

jet747
16th Apr 2014, 09:04
Soory,

I want to delete that B727 SIC on my certificate

Fratemate
16th Apr 2014, 09:17
I don't know why you think 'they' don't like to see old ratings with restrictions on them; after all, we weren't born with a 787 type rating and 'they' know everyone started somewhere. So long as you have the appropriate qualifications then you're able to apply and 'they' are really only interested in what you can do now and your experience level. There are many and varied pilots within AJX and a corresponding collection of aircraft types and experience, including 'oldies' like the B727 and DC8.

Personally, I'd leave it how it is but if you're really determined to remove a type from your licence, just contact the FAA and ask them to do it (I say FAA as you give your location as USA). Getting something removed is a lot easier than getting it added :ok:

Buttscratcher
16th Apr 2014, 12:04
You could.... I guess, but then try to explain the hours in your log pertaining to a type you don't have. 'They' will be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake

The Dominican
16th Apr 2014, 12:48
His problem is that the type is an (SIC) is not a type that is recognized by many of these contracts, I had a "circling VMC only" restriction on one of my types and I had to get it removed before I started working here, I was lucky in the sense that I was currently flying the airplane and a check airman on it so one of the FAA designee from the company watched me shoot a couple of approaches and he removed it. We do have a lot of guys with every kind of A/C on their certificate but the SIC type is something the FAA came up after ICAO wanted a worldwide standard that all crew members had to be typed on the airplane, this happened a few years ago so the FAA in all their wisdoms came up with a cheap type that requires less training thus saving the airlines money in training, the problem is that everywhere else it is worth the plastic it's printed on:ugh: Unlike my case, you are not currently flying the A/C so it would pretty much be a full type rating course that will run you $12K.......!

Have you consulted with the contract companies? They require a type without restrictions and you have more than one on your certificate that are unrestricted, they might accept that, I don't know if the line guys will have the answer to that.
Well, outside of dusting your 727 manuals and have your wife not speak to you for a month:ugh:

iggle piggle
16th Apr 2014, 14:58
Is there a process by which you can request 'short working' with Air Japan? I know you can have it imposed but was curious as to whether or not you can request it.

Fratemate
17th Apr 2014, 00:47
They require a type without restrictions and you have more than one on your certificate that are unrestricted

Hi TD,

That's what I was referring to when I wrote:

So long as you have the appropriate qualifications then you're able to apply and 'they' are really only interested in what you can do now and your experience level.

Jet747 has at least one unrestricted rating on an acceptable type so they can tick the 'qualified' box and move on. It doesn't matter what else is on the licence as it is just surplus to requirements. More importantly, the rating doesn't need to be removed from the licence, nor the restriction removed from the rating, if any other type rating qualifies him for the job.

Fratemate
17th Apr 2014, 00:56
Iggle Piggle,

Part time working is not currently available, neither are the old 'absent days', where you could have extra days off but just forfeit the money. Do not plan on getting any time off in addition to the normal 10 days off, 2 commuting days and the annual 24 vacation days. 'Talking up' extras to the contract in order to justify applying will lead to disillusion and disappointment.

The Dominican
17th Apr 2014, 02:04
Applying logic that's the way I read it as well Frate...! But...........:hmm:

jet747
17th Apr 2014, 10:53
Good Job Dominican and Fratemate !!

Thanks for your Help,

By the end of this year, I'm really thinking to Surrender that B727 SIC. It is really a negative sticker on my ATP

Buttscratcher
17th Apr 2014, 14:05
Ah Jesus :ugh:

jet747
17th Apr 2014, 18:10
What is your answer ??

USMCProbe
17th Apr 2014, 23:57
Jet747;
Yeah, get rid of it. You sure wouldn't want anyone to think you can do something frivolous like fly round dials and raw data.

Hide that knowledge and experience. It will bite you in the @ss.

Crap, now I need to clean up my license. I need to get rid of those pesky 727,757,767, and 777 types off my license. Oh yeah and I forgot the 320 type as well. What was I thinking?

FOMCLMAO

jet747
18th Apr 2014, 18:48
Everything is on Record in Oklahoma and they are saying that It is a normal procedure to surrender a Type if a pilot don't need it anymore. It is legal and on record. Uncle Sam knows that. What is more important ? Having a Job or having a certificate and staying at home ?

The Dominican
18th Apr 2014, 19:05
@jet747

The information you were given at the FAA is correct as I understand it and it is one way of getting rid off restrictions, this isn't an effort to "hide" any sort of experience since you will be posting those times and work history during your application process, I know another person who did this with a restricted corporate jet type he had and wasn't planing to fly it ever again, he explained the reasoning during his interview and is now an A320 skipper, so evidently they accepted his solution.....!

However, I insist that you should get in touch with the contract companies and inquire about that particular solution to the restriction problem, because it might be that they will accept your application as is anyways....!:ok:

thepotato232
19th Apr 2014, 03:56
Anyone who feels the need to be snide here doesn't quite understand the problem. An SIC type rating (be it on the 727, the DC-3, or the A380) is a "restricted" type rating. Most contract companies specify quite clearly that a restriction of ANY KIND on a pilot's license is a disqualifying problem when converting from FAA to a local license.

Obviously, when dealing with the contract company, the best possible outcome would be for them to accept the license anyway, since the applicant has no intention of operating that particular type again on the new foreign license. While not unheard of, this would be unusual, and the licensing countries for which this "no restrictions" language is in effect are not generally known for making exceptions to rules.

I have met two people who were in a similar situation before coming to China, where this same rule is in effect. One was able to get his SIC rating changed to a normal type rating through his employer at the time, who put him through a full type rating course. The other applicant was not so fortunate, but all he had to do was very simply walk into his local FSDO, and declare his intention to "surrender" his SIC rating. The FARs clearly state that a pilot may surrender all or any part of his/her professional qualifications for any reason. Half an hour and a new 8710 form later, the pilot walked out of the office with a temporary ATP, one type rating and one restriction lighter. The Head Fed on duty that day mentioned that it's an uncommon request, but those that do it are almost always in the exact same position as our poster here. His FAA records will still clearly show that he had an appropriate type rating when he was an acting crew member on the 727.

The SIC rating was a joke, and another reminder that the FAA will happily make deviations from ICAO standards to save a quick buck, even if that makes life harder for FAA-rated pilots. Thankfully, the new ATP rules in the US have pretty much eliminated the rationale for the SIC type rating.

jet747
19th Apr 2014, 10:38
Thanks to The Dominican, Thanks to Thepotato232,

It is always interesting to learn.

Thanks,

Jacob Nkeze

Buttscratcher
19th Apr 2014, 12:16
Your JCAB, once earned (not so much 'converted', you'll find out why) will not have any of your previous ratings from your previous license anyway, so where is the problem?
You are reading something in this that doesn't exist
To apply, you must have a current, unrestricted jet type on your current license, fair enough, but please quote me where this is exclusive of other ratings, unrestricted or otherwise.
Again, and this is important, how will you account for hours logged on a type you have had removed from your current license.

The Dominican
19th Apr 2014, 13:45
how will you account for hours logged on a type you have had removed from your current license.

His FAA records will still clearly show that he had an appropriate type rating when he was an acting crew member on the 727.

Not a widely used solution to the problem of a restricted type, but not unheard off, like I said I know an individual that did this instead of opting for spending 12 or 15K to get a full type and remove the restriction.
The restriction is a problem for many jobs abroad, this is not in question, what I don't know is if it is an issue at AJX, we don't really know the answer to that. That is why I recommended that he inquire with the contract agencies.

Buttscratcher
19th Apr 2014, 14:47
Dom, are you suggesting that at the JCAB check, with license and logbooks on the table, and being quizzed as to how you logged 727 time with no rating, you smile and tell them to refer to the FAA archives?
Majikayo?!

The Dominican
19th Apr 2014, 20:16
I'm not suggesting anything, simply pointing out that this HAS been done before to solve the restriction issue and I also said for him to check with the contract companies to see if that would be acceptable here.

The Dominican
19th Apr 2014, 22:10
Besides, back in the day you didn't need to be typed to fly as an F/O in any airplane, I have time in a couple of radial powered hunks of very old metal and I'm not typed in any of them, back then it was "take this manuals home, read them and come and do three bounces tomorrow" voilà, your an F/O now....! :ok:

Buttscratcher
20th Apr 2014, 02:16
Oh, yeah, fair enough, he should remove it then

That will be best for everyone

USMCProbe
20th Apr 2014, 06:38
Sorry for my quip before. I didn't understand the problem.
I don't know if having a 727 only restriction will have any adverse effect on ANA. If JCAB says no, they aren't known for their flexibility.

If it was a 320 or 737, you might be able to do a "short" course at CAE or Boeing to upgrade a SIC type to a full type, if they have an approved training program for this.

If you look on our license, "English Proficient" shows up in "Limitations" instead of "Ratings". At first, some foreign agencies thought this mean our english proficiency was limited. You wouldn't believe the reason it is in limits and not ratings.

bringbackthe80s
20th Apr 2014, 09:37
Guys sorry for the off topic, but since we' re talking licences... I tried to look for it in the previous posts but couldn't find an answer.

When you join a Japanese company and go through the JCAB conversion, what happens to your EASA/FAA licence and ratings once you have a JCAB licence??
Will you have 2 valid licences? or is your EASA licence dead and you only have a Japanese licence??

Thanks

Jaz and the Fat Man
20th Apr 2014, 09:43
As far as FAA, you will retain that and thus maintain both FAA and JCAB. I have both certificates as the JCAB is similar to the FAA, you don't lose it when out of currency which is what I understand happens with the EASA. I do keep my JCAB medical current for no particular reason, along with my FAA and a couple others.

The Dominican
20th Apr 2014, 11:09
I have three licenses myself, they are independent from eachother but you have to deal with currency issues with each one, depending on the training program that your airline has (Boeing approved program, the training is approved by the FAA to conduct training outside of the US....etc.) they might accept it to meet recency requirements in the US, but some training programs abroad might not be, a couple of my friends that fly in China have to rent a GA contraption a couple of times a year for that purpose....!

jet747
20th Apr 2014, 15:34
Thanks Buttscratcher !
I got your point but I will remove it. It is only 800 hours over > 13000 Total.
It is a real negative stamp on a Certificate from "Overseas Glasses "

Ronand
27th Apr 2014, 15:43
Could anybody give details about fail rates during training. Is it similar to Koreanair where about 20-30 percent fail the training? I heard back to back rostering of off days used to be possible. Is this currently still the case? Could anybody who is currently flying there shed light on these questions? Thx

Fratemate
27th Apr 2014, 22:58
Although I don't have any official figures to hand, the failure rates are very low and the situation is very different to KAL, when they had the problems with malicious 777 trainers. Training itself is pretty much non-existent; you'll be expected to have studied and know the answers without any instruction from your trainer.....it seems this is the 'way' in the East. When you are line training you'll fly with 'Western' trainers for some of your sectors and this is your opportunity to ask all the questions you were never able to ask and try to figure out what the Japanese were talking about when they asked you awkward questions that you were unable to answer.

Now, although actual training doesn't exist in the way that you might be used to, the Japanese instructors are, for the most part, honest, friendly and not vindictive. There are no politics involved in trying to oust the 'Western' pilots as was the case with the KAL 777 fleet. So, all in all, a completely different scenario and one that doesn't bear comparison.

Back-to-backing is still possible. It is used regularly by some pilots and occasionally by others. I'm more of an occasional user (maybe twice per year) but one of my mates does it almost year-round. I've never had any problems with doing B2B days off and I've never heard of anyone else having any snags. It's good because you get a decent time off at home AND you get to keep $2000 for one of the month's commuting allowance but, on the other hand, you've got to 'pay' for that time off at some point and 5-6 weeks in Japan can be a killer :eek:

ImperialxRat
9th May 2014, 05:00
I am not sure about the previous 727 SIC limitation being a problem, however I am glad you found a solution.

I have an EMB-145 SIC on my license, as well a different jet PIC type and was just offered to do the sim eval with CREW.

I feel very fortunate and hope it goes well. Thank you to everyone in this thread for the contributions.

IsawBiTuka
9th May 2014, 12:43
Hello!

I was selected to continue with the process and have a sim evaluation in June. I want to thank everyone here for taking their time in responding to questions and inquiries about AJX. GREATLY appreciated! Although, the process has only just begun! I have so much questions but I don't know where to begin!

Please PM me if you are so kind enough to share some of your experiences and the do's and don't.

Thanks again everyone!:ok:

Pitot-Grande
10th May 2014, 02:51
I have an upcoming screening with Air Japan and have been reviewing my 27 page Simulator Check Guidance package Revised 2013/ July/ 1st.

Throughout this entire thread (yes, I've read it all) I read the advice, "know your callouts in the sim and you'll be fine." However, sim packet has very few if any real callouts so I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on the subject?

Many thanks

IsawBiTuka
10th May 2014, 02:56
Does anyone know where I can order a paper poster of a 757/767? I just want to get familiar with the layout and do some chair flying :)

Thanks guys. PM me please.

Isawbituka

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th May 2014, 03:15
It's a tad more than that, but for some reason, a few tend to down play the simulator's role in your passing the interview. When I was in Japan for my interview, I was told there is a 12% pass rate and the majority of the failures is due to the sim. Since, I get a little tired of getting slammed by the Sky God's, you can PM me, and I'll fill you in on what I did, the amount of effort expended, and how long you can expect to be called to class. I also have a play by play, that worked for me in the sim. Good luck.

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th May 2014, 03:22
There is a downloadable B767 digital on smartcockpit.com I downloaded, took it to a print shop on a thumb drive, and they made me 60x80 cm copies. It's in color and fairly good quality. Happy chair flying.

jayceehi
10th May 2014, 07:12
I recently went through the gambit...
I passed the interview and the sim but sadly not the medical....
Would have been a good job but I've got a good job.
The medical fail would not have been a fail elsewhere but there's nothing you can do about that part of it........
Good luck to those of you who pass the whole thing!!
Fly safe.
Cheers

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th May 2014, 09:13
Jay, it appears you have definitely been given the wrong "prognosis", as it's apparent you have spent many years in Asia, and I would guess you completed an initial JCAB many moons ago and dozens since then. Since so many were terminated 5-6 years ago from Japan, you then probably ended up with another Heavy driver interview and medical, say KAL, and you skated through that. So after all your experience and obviously a few rounds with some of the toughest medicals in the world, they decide, it's not quite enough. Too bad for them. I've been flying in Asia longer that I want to admit and I rarely see someone with your background. Hopefully you didn't quit your day job. Good luck......

The Dominican
10th May 2014, 15:16
This is a question that has comes up over and over through the years.....! My recommendation hasn't changed, those of you that have read my opinions on the matter will experience déjà vu because I'm about to say what I have always said in the past, but since it's been a while, I'll revisit the point once more..!

How important is the SIM interview?

The sim evaluation IS the interview...! You don't impress them in the SIM, you don't get the job...!

Who benefits from a SIM prep? Would I recommend it?

Let's examine who has made it to the line and if the SIM prep made the difference..!
For what I see from guys (and gals) joining the line, I would say that 80% haven't flown the 767 before and maybe half (give or take) have any Boeing experience..!
For what I have heard in conversations with new folks joining the line is that maybe a third have done any SIM prep...! This is of course unscientific, this is just my impression during the usual "what where you doing before" conversations at cruise with the guys that I have never flown before, that is happening more and more lately since we are getting so many new pilots around here!

You folks need to understand that NONE of us knows what exactly they are looking for, they do NOT share any information as to why people pass nor fails the interview, they don't share the pass rates nor their reasoning behind it...!

Now, over the years we have come to understand the common trades of folks that make it to the line..., what we see that they are looking for is individuals that will be trainable in the way that they do things and individuals that will be able to communicate in an environment where English is not the native language for everyone. Your communications skills and your management skills are more important as far as I see than you knowing where every switch is, if your Boeing knowledge or the 767 cockpit layout would be what they are looking for, then 8 out of 10 pilots that are on the line today wouldn't have been hired..! Fair enough? Communicate with your PM (pilot monitoring) during the sim eval, ask for what you want to accomplish with the automation and he will help you with it, the evaluation team knows that you haven't flown the 767 before, it is your CRM capabilities and your airmanship what they are looking for and not that you know what every switch on the MCP is...! Makes sense?

OK, this is who I believe will benefit from a SIM prep..! If you have very little to no experience flying steam gauges, then I recommend a SIM prep because it could be very difficult to get an appropriate scan going, your scan is what will maintain your SA..! And that you maintain your SA is what they are looking for, not that you don't make a mistake because of your unfamiliarity with the automation, if during the evaluation you make a mistake by selecting something wrong on the MCP (as it happened to me during my evaluation) don't just sit there and let the contraption do what it might! disconnect and maintain the aluminum tube tracking what you want and just command the PM to select what you want the automation to do, then reconnect...! Airmanship, communications skills, management skills...! If you are weak in those areas, a SIM prep won't help. FLY the thing, don't think it is the 767 you are flying, fly it from your seat forward, learn the pitch and power settings that come in your interview package since this will go a long way in helping you to control the SIM that is quite sensitive actually. Make sure that before you start the evaluation, you brief your PM about your lack of understanding of the automation and if you have any basic questions as to how to select this or that, have your PM explain it to you during the brief...! That you know how to use the assets available to you is what they are looking for, NOT that you are unfamiliar with the MCP, because if that was the case, the majority of us wouldn't be flying the line today...! Of course the more preparation the better, if you get some familiarity with the automation of course it will help, but spend more time on pitch and power settings and the SOP's on the interview package.

Good luck!

ImperialxRat
10th May 2014, 17:48
Thanks for the post Dom, that is great info!!

EDIT: stupid iPad

IsawBiTuka
10th May 2014, 22:13
Thanks Dom.
I have to say that the group of people here at this particular forum is the most helpful group of people. It is almost hard to believe, by comparison to other forums, that I honestly get useful advice and opinions from members here.

Thanks a lot to all of you here that are genuinely helping us out newbies to be successful. I really appreciate it!

Zlin526F
12th May 2014, 09:14
Hey Guys,

I am also currently about to make mind Wetter to apple at AJX or not and I would like to thank you for sharing a lot of useful Information!

What I am still looking for after Reading this thread since a couple of days now is current Information about the taxes applicable in Japan.

How much taxes do you have to pay when not living in Japan? Is your total income subject to taxation or do you recieve per diems, allowances etc taxfree?

Jaz and the Fat Man
12th May 2014, 14:11
I'd consider waiting until you have level 3+ english......

The Dominican
12th May 2014, 14:31
The only option available for this contract is "commuting" there is NO option to reside in Japan with this contract (no option that will be sponsored by the company that is, they WILL NOT arrange resident status in Japan) since you will not have official residency in Japan, your salary is not subjected to Japanese taxes...., remember that you will not actually work for AJX, you will be employed by the contract agency....! Your salary will be net and you are responsible for applicable taxes on your country of residence...!

One more thing, CREW is a US based company....., if you select them or not as your contract agency I think it is a good measure to speak to a tax attorney to get a clear picture of your tax liabilities under this type of employment..., it could be quite complicated depending on your own country tax laws....!

Zlin526F
12th May 2014, 14:49
@Jaz
Actually the problem was the auto correction function of my Ipad which I didn't realise before sending my post.
My english LVL6 entry in my licence should be enough for the job, no need to worry about my language skills.

@The Dominician
Thanks for your reply. So I will figure out what kind of agreement regarding taxation my country has with the countries the agencies are residing.

I read on the previous pages the sugesstions either for Crew or Parc, is this advice still valid?

kr575m
13th May 2014, 05:08
I'm noticing a few people on various forums have been invited to the pre-screening in June and that they applied through CREW. I applied through PARC, I sent my application in April 2nd. I got an email saying that I would be invited to the screening but the date is not set because they are awaiting SIM slots to become available.

I was wondering if anyone here applied through PARC recently and if they were invited to the screening or if this is all CREW applicants? Did anyone apply around April 2nd or sooner and have a date set for the screening?

Fratemate
13th May 2014, 15:52
kr575m,

If your location is really Sacramento then you'd be better off applying through Crew and forget Parc. Crew is much better set up for Americans, regrading tax and 401K but, more importantly, Crew has vastly superior medical cover. Parc's only saving grace was their loss of licence cover which, until fairly recently, Crew did not have. However, with Crew you can opt in to a LOL scheme which you pay for but is very good cover and far outweighs the money you'd have to pay to cover family etc on the medical NOT provided by Parc. Also, Parc are determined to reduce the LOL insurance, so you'll end up with a pretty lacklustre policy and medical insurance that doesn't even come close to Crew. Add in Parc's reluctance to actually do anything for their pilots once they're on AJX's books and I think there's only one way to go nowadays......shame I'm on Parc's books :bored:

Fratemate
13th May 2014, 15:57
Zlin,

Your tax has nothing to do with the countries in which the agencies reside, only the country in which you reside. Your salary is paid net of ANY tax, therefore it is up to you to fill out the relevant tax paperwork for your country of residence and pay that tax. Crew will deal with certain aspects of tax for the residents of the US but any non-US residents will have to file their tax returns with their own country and the agencies do NOT get involved in any aspects of taxation.

Yeah, the only agencies worth using are Crew and Parc..........use Crew!

kr575m
13th May 2014, 18:01
Fratemate, thanks. I'll send something into CREW as well.

So it's basically going to be a wash with LOL insurance. And
CREW has better medical insurance. I'm not married and have no
children, so is the difference in insurance that big of a factor still?

I know things could change in the future as far as a wife and kids. After your
first 5 year contract expires and you get the opportunity to upgrade, can
you switch contract companies?

kesskidi
13th May 2014, 21:25
despite not having the reqs concerning jet "transport" hours, I'm gonna try again via Crew. do you have to be u.s. citizen for Crew ?

oldhasbeen
13th May 2014, 22:47
Kr575, it would be easier to upgrade your wife and kids:p

jrmyl
14th May 2014, 00:37
kesskidi, you do not need to be a US citizen for crew. Good luck.:ok:

kesskidi
14th May 2014, 13:26
Thanks, :)

scrum
21st May 2014, 01:38
I have read through the entire thread and I know this question has been asked before, but I would like to find out about living in Tokyo if my wife manages to secure employment there.

She is a kindergarten teacher and having looked online at the various job websites, there does seem to be a demand for English-speaking teachers with the right qualifications.

I know that there are other contracts out there that allow you to live in Japan, but this contract really appeals with the balance of pay and time off. Commuting is not really an option for me, but if I was able to stay in country with my wife my application would be in tomorrow!

If I joined, would there be any immigration issues if I was to stay in Japan on my days off? What would be the implications tax wise? Are any crew doing this?

The Dominican
21st May 2014, 10:31
Check your PM's scrum.....!

kesskidi
24th May 2014, 00:30
If you don't mind sharing Dom, I'm curious about the same things

MG007
24th May 2014, 20:13
Dom I would welcome also the info on whether one could remain in Japan. Tax deals etc. Thanks for the info.

Captainhere
8th Jun 2014, 01:34
Hello guys

Can anybody tell me what shall I read to get ready ? Is it hard interview ?
I had read a lot about sim but not that much about exams
So could anyone help me with this
Should I pay for my tkt and hotel stay in Japan ?
Does the 550$ enough to rent god apartment ??
How's the stay in Japan ? Is t difficult ???

Am worry about it
Pls I need info ASAP plsssssss
Thank you v. Much guys

Captainhere
8th Jun 2014, 01:34
Any update guys pls

Jaz and the Fat Man
8th Jun 2014, 01:56
I just finished the interview several months ago and now in training. To avoid the know it all's slamming everything I say, you can PM me and I'll give you my experience from preparation, to the interview, and beyond. Good luck.

Guam360
8th Jun 2014, 02:44
"I just finished the interview several months ago and now in training. To avoid the know it all's slamming everything I say, you can PM me and I'll give you my experience from preparation, to the interview, and beyond. "

great posts man, good luck over there!!

Jaz and the Fat Man
8th Jun 2014, 03:51
Thanks, after spending over 20 years flying in Asia, I believe it to be the best contract job, and I feel very lucky to be here.

Now, if this rain would just let up......

kesskidi
9th Jun 2014, 02:05
Jaz, check pm

FULMAR777
11th Jun 2014, 11:38
Hi Jaz, I have the interview coming soon, would appreciate if you can share that info, especially the reading material part. I will PM you. Thanks a lot

kr575m
14th Jun 2014, 03:05
Does AJX stay at the same hotels as ANA on shared routes?

On other routes, how are the quality of hotels? Are they city locations or airport locations?

Thanks!

The Dominican
14th Jun 2014, 17:28
Our hotel system is pretty good, the hotel is the same in most destinations regardless if it is an ANA/AJX operation..., the only hotels that are bad in my opinion are the business style hotels the we use in Japan (KIX, OKA, HND) city locations mostly but a couple of airport hotels, it really doesn't matter because the locations with airport hotels are short layovers, and the hotels are nice...!

gtseraf
15th Jun 2014, 06:07
KR575m

The AJX crew do not always stay at the same hotels as the ANA crew.

Most of the routes we operate, either as AJX or ANA callsign, we stay at the same hotels as the mainline pilots, though, I believe, we do not stay at the same hotel in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Naha and probably some others.

Hotels are pretty good,they tick most of the boxes, gym, room service, internet, quiet, reasonable location. Most of our layovers are pretty short.

A small number of the hotels don't really meet the standard I would expect for a layover hotel, but one pretty much has to accept what the company decides is adequate, there is very little scope for crew input in hotel selection.

almostok
17th Jun 2014, 23:36
rumor has it that some commands are being delayed this year and possibly the numbers reduced every year. The Cap to first officer ratio is now balanced.

If this is true the time to command for newhires may well extend beyond the first contract.:uhoh:

Kraus
18th Jun 2014, 03:51
Likely, but to balance that view, AJX are employing less experienced crews, so progression is naturally going to be slower.

The Dominican?

almostok
18th Jun 2014, 05:00
Kraus

I believe that may not be accurate. In the past, pilots have been upgraded with less experience, after 3 years, than some of those joining us now. Some of the recent hires include experienced 777 operators, 767 operators with many thousands of hours.

The company can do what it wants, as there is no formal seniority system, however the company does respect seniority according to date checked to line. Any new applicants should be factoring this possibility into their longer term planning.

Fratemate
18th Jun 2014, 06:18
Any new applicants should be factoring this possibility into their longer term planning.

I agree 100% and it is not just a rumour about the number of upgrades being reduced. Ask JT or CO and they'll confirm it, especially as they are directly affected.

With the balance of FOs v captains being addressed and it being much more balanced than it has been in the past, I believe we will see a new policy ('my technique') being brought into play whereby upgrades will only take place in the second contract. Assessment may well begin earlier but training etc won't.

This is just my guess but not only will it allow the FO:captain ratio to be better managed but it will also allow the Company to upgrade those who they want to keep around by upgrading in a second contract and by not extending a contract to those they don't really want around the place any more. Of course, the opposite is true and it allows an FO to do 5 years, collect his completion bonus at the end of that period and go elsewhere with the blessing of AJX (and the possibility of coming back later), without having to extend further because of left to right training etc.

All guessing aside, I would be guided by the wise words of Almostok....who clearly must be almostgood

The Yank
18th Jun 2014, 08:47
Fratemate is correct.

The company has reduced the upgrades from 12 per year to 8 THIS fiscal year.

This affects all of the FO's (apart from 1) that were hired in 2010. All of these guys will not upgrade until the 5 year contract is complete.

What happens next year is anyones guess. :ugh: :(

jrmyl
18th Jun 2014, 09:47
I was a March 2010 hire and it is correct that it appears that upgrades have been reduced to 8 per year. This means that I will not upgrade during this contract. :mad: I'm not too happy about it but there is not much I can do other than accept it. As has been said so many times, it was never guaranteed to happen in the first contract.

Oh, and as far as the experience, I have over 10.5k TT and 4K TPIC. So experience really doesn't factor into the equation here.

The Dominican
18th Jun 2014, 12:17
It's all speculative since we don't really know where is this ship headed, we are all in the boiler room just shoveling coal......! I know there is a LOT of speculation and logical sounding rumors floating around, but rumor spreading is the entertainment around here:rolleyes:

The Yank
18th Jun 2014, 14:39
Well this one is not a rumour. I was told by management directly.

No Sept course. Next course will be Jan/Feb.

As for next year ????? It is all speculation.

Captain Biggles84
27th Jun 2014, 08:19
Hi all,

Prob a question that has been flogged to death and i have attempted to look back through the pages to find the answer but prob a half@ssed look.

How much $$ can u expect to spend on your month or so in Japan?? Say first year $11k how much would you expect to be left in ones account (not taking into account any tax considerations) after commuting and living whilst at work in Japan. Is it reasonable to assume at the very best you could expect your base salary remaining give or take a bit each side depending on ones activities??

Cheers:ok:

Fratemate
27th Jun 2014, 09:42
Is it reasonable to assume at the very best you could expect your base salary remaining give or take a bit each side depending on ones activities??

If you take the C class ticket option you don't pay for any tickets, so that removes one complication from the equation. If you choose to take the $2000 and use a ZED ticket, then you'll end up with extra in your bank account because no-one spends > $2000 on a ZED fare (if they did they deserve to lose money through sheer stupidity).

If you live in the hotel then the accommodation allowance will normally cover the costs over the course of a year. Sometimes you'll spend more in a month than the allowance but other times you won't. So, living in the hotel will mean you don't dip into the base salary. If you live by yourself in an apartment then you'll be using some of your own money to cover the cost. Sharing will probably work out similar to the hotel.

Food and drink are a variable feast (do you like what I did there) but you've basically got $1000 to spend during the 20-odd days that you're 'on the job'. Japan is expensive but some of the places we go are pretty cheap. I think it is fair to say that you can get by on the per diem element without encroaching on the basic pay.

With the recent tax hikes in Japan it definitely costs more to sleep and eat than it used to and, so far, none of the contract companies has bothered to get their finger out and press AJX for an increase to the allowances or per diem. I believe we are right on the limit of the allowances covering what they are meant to but any further price rises, particularly in Japan, will mean dipping into the basic salary, which is clearly unacceptable and will have to be actioned by the contract companies whether they like it or not.

So, in answer to your question; living in the hotel I think it is reasonable to assume you can bank on banking your base pay. Sitting down the back of an aircraft on a ZED ticket to commute home you can guarantee banking a bit more.

Captain Biggles84
27th Jun 2014, 09:56
Cheers for your response fratmate,

Yeh i figured as much and no doubt I'm sure there is a knack to making it work best for the individual..

Depending on tax requirements back in Aus I'm trying to weigh up this jobs worth. Between this and going to the sandpit are what I'm comparing at present and both seem fairly level pegged. Being able to remain at home is a def pro however away for longer stint.. (some may feel this aint as bad as most ;) )

But as far as $$ go it seems very competitive.. Would you agree?

Fratemate
27th Jun 2014, 10:37
We've got a couple of guys who had a play in the sandpit but decided they didn't like it. On the plus side, EK etc have a MUCH bigger network than AJX and they're flying nicer machines (although you won't find better maintained and cared for aircraft anywhere else in the world than in Japan). Their salary is tax-free and, of course, accommodation provided etc but that's only because no-one would go and live in the desert and fly for them if they didn't provide those things. It's a long time since I looked at the EK deal but I think you'll be on equivalent or greater pay, especially as their command time has risen considerably. I would never come here thinking that you are going to be flying anything other than the 767 and that way you won't be disappointed. However, there are always rumours in the wind and the machine is getting a bit long in the tooth. With a reduction in fleet numbers and an increase in the 787s replacing them I think we may be switched to some other machine eventually but if you're desperate for a 777 then EK would be a better bet....but I'll take my schedule over their's any day of the week :ooh:

I agree that it is a pain being away from home, particularly when on standby etc. If you live where you work then you can mow the lawn or whatever if you're not called but, away in Japan, you can't do anything particularly useful unless you're doing a degree course of something similar. However, your days off in AJX are sacrosanct and your time at home is undisturbed by the Company calling you to come in and work; something that cannot be said for Emirates etc. We don't necessarily get the same treatment as the ANA mainline pilots but I don't feel like I'm a slave to the Company and I certainly don't feel mistreated as the guys over on the ME forum seem to feel.

I think if you're young, free and single then Dubai might appeal. Lots of destinations in which to get yourself in trouble and a decent selection of aircraft. However, the desert wears very thin, very quickly (I'm bored after a week in Dubai) and if you've got a missus in tow then I reckon it's a completely different story. They've got to suffer the crap of living where they probably don't really want to live while we 'gallivant' off 'enjoying ourselves' (as they see it). My wife gave me an unequivocal 'NO' when I merely mentioned the possibility of the idea.....and that's from someone who's only had to enjoy a couple of holidays there.

Of course it's a very personal choice but this job allows me to live where my family and I want to live and for me to get the days off that I want to get. When you look at the sandpit, the same can't really be said.

Captain Biggles84
27th Jun 2014, 11:01
Great answer Frat and very insightful,

With the ZED option over the C Class ticket do you ever run into problems getting a seat from time to time like all staff travel or are you open to getting from A-B in several ways hence limiting this likelihood?

Fratemate
27th Jun 2014, 13:46
AJX has a ZED agreement with quite a number of airlines, so I think the options are there for a decent number of routes. For you, travelling to SYD, both QF and JQ are available. I'm not an expert on ZED travel, preferring to take the C class option, but there are quite a few guys that do use the facility and they seem to be pretty successful. As with all staff travel, you pick your fights but you can use ZED or C class whenever you want, so ZEDing during the off-peak times and using C class during peak times could be considered a sensible way of arranging your travel. It is nice to have that option :)

SyncPilot
27th Jun 2014, 19:33
#Fratemate,

I joined Ek on the super fleet some time ago and the other option was AirJ...I feel sorry I didn't took the interview in Tokyo.
You are so right about the desert and middle east. It is not the a/c you fly and where, other stuff is important, family, friends and home country on your down time..

Cheers guys

pilotcpb
10th Jul 2014, 11:14
Speaking of the sandpit, I am there too and looking at my contract expiring in about 9 months. The money at AJX is quite close to what I make right now and the days off every month are attractive to me. My ideal gig as an AJX guy would be commuting to Hawaii. Is it worth it?? Or will I be pissed off and 10 years older 2 years into the contract?

I have read this entire thread, post by post. Good and bad, rants and everything. This is an awesome post full of so much good info and thanks so much to the helpful guys who have made it that way.:D:D I can only come up with one question: What kind of documents and paperwork do AJX/JCAB/Contractor want from a new guy? I ask because my company is impossible to deal with and if I need any kind of documents whatsoever it will be an absolute battle to the death. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Besides AJX, any current info on Jetstar Japan or Peach? Information on those guys is sparse. Thanks guys!

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th Jul 2014, 11:40
They never asked for anything from my prior companies. BUT, if you go with the company I feel is one of the best for AJX, ( ok, standing by for the hammer ), Crew, which is an American company, will run you through the background check, which some company from the US, tries to contact them. When they do not receive a response, then they will ask you for some kind of proof that you worked there. Which is easy enough if you have a copy of your contract (and some pens and t-shirts etc....)

Other than that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you will be much happier for the long and short term with Air Japan than Jetstar or Peach. That isn't my opinion, it's absolute fact.

Good luck and ok boys, I'm ready for the hammer......

pilotcpb
10th Jul 2014, 12:11
Thanks so much for the answer! If it stays like that then its good news for me!! :ok:

pa28capt
13th Aug 2014, 07:03
Are there any more courses this year?

Jaz and the Fat Man
13th Aug 2014, 08:14
I understand there is a class in September and November. Of course, everything subject to change.

Fratemate
17th Aug 2014, 01:37
Based on what experience, Devine Wind? Unless you're a pilot in AJX you have no genuine basis for your comments, only the information you've gleaned from reading Pprune. There are few people that are able to comment with any confidence on the difference between AJX and EK; I'm not one of them, neither are you but the two Ex-EK pilots in AJX that I know personally would not agree with what you've written.

I notice from your few postings that you're also an expert on Skymark and Hong Kong :rolleyes:

gcpilot8
17th Aug 2014, 02:03
Based on what experience, Devine Wind?

Based on 4 posts since 2009:E

atlanticjet
17th Aug 2014, 02:44
Hahahahahaha, now that's a good one. Why are we even comparing AJX to the sand-land carriers ? Absolutely nothing in common, with AJX on top through and through !!!!! Ok, now back to my beer ! Hahahaha.......

The Yank
17th Aug 2014, 18:02
Devine wind,

Deleting your old post will not help you (it's never helped your half a$$ed arguments in the past)... Most of us that have been on this forum long enough know that nothing but bullsh*t and misinformation spout from your keyboard. := :yuk:

We know that you despise AJX now move on.

Anyone can go back an look at the conversation (or at least the bits you could not delete). About # 840 on...

Fratemate
18th Aug 2014, 00:14
I have been in Japan much longer than you

So have most Japanese but the vast majority of them are unqualified to talk with any knowledge on the pros and cons of AJX. Much like yourself.

I also never stated that I am an expert on any airline

And yet you have done nothing but spout inexpert opinion about AJX since the day you started on Pprune and continue to do so based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Thinking you're clever by getting rid of your previous bull**** does absolutely nothing to increase your already woeful credibility but confirms that even you realise you talk absolute crap when it comes to AJX. The Yank has summarised it perfectly:

Deleting your old post will not help you (it's never helped your half a$$ed arguments in the past)... Most of us that have been on this forum long enough know that nothing but bullsh*t and misinformation spout from your keyboard.

The Dominican
18th Aug 2014, 04:40
This message is hidden because Devine Wind is on your ignore list.

Credibility was lost long ago......! :rolleyes:

Don't feed the troll.....!

gcpilot8
19th Aug 2014, 00:04
You guys are way too sensitive. LOL

It is not about being too sensitive. Most of threads on pprune is filled with BS more than factual information- like you. On the contrary, this particular thread has more factual information than personal opinions and rants thanks to the regular pilots on this forum who take their time out to provide information to the naive with expecting nothing in return! Kudos to these people on this thread.:D

We all would like to keep this thread the way it is -clean and full of facts with no fillers.:ok: So, kindly GTFO :mad: and find some other thread to troll around!

737lpa
24th Aug 2014, 00:09
I never made it thru the initial application phase at AJX when I tried a few years back for the NTR CPT, but I must admit that I love this thread.

It's so genuine that it should have its own web address! :ok:

bob777
24th Aug 2014, 04:53
Tell me about the initial application. I'm been working on it for the last six months trying to sort it out and make all ends meet...mission impossible.

The Dominican
24th Aug 2014, 10:18
Your chances of getting some help will increase dramatically if you are specific.....!

bob777
24th Aug 2014, 11:30
I'm very interested in AJX as my wife is a Japanese citizen . I applied trough Crew I have excellent referee Japanese nationals ex JAL and I'm presently working a for a major Star Alliance Airline. No issues if not for the fact that it seems my already battered career will receive one more blow due to idiotic/protectionist regulations. I have substantial long haul experience. I'm still within the age limit for a bit more than one year. Still the application for someone that flew in different environment with different logbooks and rules on how to log flight time seem impossible. I resorted to review all my log books and re log the last year in a new one starting with figures that added up would match the requirement...still in the process. Any suggestion will be appreciated as I'm more more and more keen by the day...:ok:

The Dominican
24th Aug 2014, 19:00
Two things....., they won't do a forensic analysis of your logbooks, we have pilots here from all corners of the globe and all of us had to spend some time doing homework with our logbooks, but 6 months??? It took me a few days to sort out the hours as they wanted them and I sure as hell wasn't going to rewrite a new logbook with 3 decades worth of flying:= not sure what you are doing but it seems to me that you are overthinking it...! Just figure out the hours they want that typically we don't register, like separating night and day PIC and SIC hours for example and make sure the math is correct, that's it, they will only really examine the last ten pages or so.

Now, about your eligibility to hold a Japanese resident card through your wife's citizenship and your plans to actually move to Japan...., this is something that I would not mention during the interview. This is a commuting contract for a reason, we don't actually work for AJX, we work for the contract companies and we come into Japan just to crew a flight exclusively on international flights. That is why we are not liable for Japanese taxes and the company doesn't have to contribute with the social expenses that otherwise they would have to pay if we were to be employees with residence in Japan. That's why they absolutely refuse to sponsor any of us for residency in Japan.

bob777
24th Aug 2014, 19:29
Thanks man.. I'm been kind of taking it slowly waiting to see what happens here where I'm presently but I'm growing more and more pessimistic so I will definitely speed up.
No intention to obtain residency as I need to commute anyway. But my wife could stay permanently in Japan which would be fantastic for us.

sonicguy
24th Aug 2014, 20:28
Can you commute easily from Honolulu?;)

Fratemate
26th Aug 2014, 02:38
Can you commute easily from Honolulu?

Yes. AJX operate two flights per day to HNL (NRT and HND). In addition, there are several US carriers who fly the route and are on the AJX ZED list, if that's your preferred means of commuting. JAL are obviously the competition but they seem to have a constant stream of aircraft going there, so that would increase your options.

There are probably about ten AJX pilots who commute from HNL and I've not heard of any problems with the journey from them.

EFC_
30th Aug 2014, 22:05
Hello gentlemen,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been interested in diving into the commuter contract pilot life for quite some time(particularly for Air Japan)and was wondering what is the likelihood of a regional FO getting selected for screening these days? 5,000 TT 3,500 turbine SIC.

Thanks for any insight

gtseraf
31st Aug 2014, 02:53
was recently talking to someone who was interested in joining AJX as an F/O. He was expecting to have an opportunity to upgrade to capt. in the first 5 year contract.

In the past AJX F/O's have, with the exception of 1 or 2, had the opportunity to upgrade in the first 5 year contract. A while ago the company was telling interviewees that they would upgrade in 3 years, which was pretty accurate.

The company has consistently been upgrading 12 per year, since 2005. This year, they cancelled 1 course and did 8 upgrades. From next year, the story is they will resume 12 per year.

Having a look at the present F/O pool, there are around 85 F/O's with a few more in the training process. Going on past performance, at 12 per year, this would mean that any F/O joining now would have to wait 7 or more years to commence the upgrade process.

Of course, we work in a dynamic environment and anything could change. If these changes occur, we are normally the last to know.

Fratemate
31st Aug 2014, 09:14
what is the likelihood of a regional FO getting selected for screening these days?

EFC,

I'm assuming when you say 'regional' that you're taking CRJs. If this is the case then the chances are still good. Many of the US pilots and recent FOs are ex-regional drivers (mostly CRJs) and I've certainly not heard of anything to say the Company has stopped recruiting them. The only bit of advice I would give is don't hang around too much longer if you are serious about applying for the job. Rumour has it that 'they' are after the magic number of 240 pilots for AJX. We're standing at around 210 at the moment and that doesn't include the courses in ground school etc. They've gone pretty hard over the last year and there are lots more new faces on the block, so I would think that recruitment and training will slow down again in the not-too-distant future as we reach that critical (to someone) number of 240. After that, I hear, then it'll just be recruiting to cover attrition (which is not high).

GT,

You're right and I think the contract companies should stop telling people they'll upgrade in the first contract. I think in the future that it is very unlikely anyone will upgrade in the first 5 years. Of course, this is not want future joiners want to hear but far better they come here with realistic expectations. Having said all that, if you've come from something like a CRJ and are complaining about a widebody command taking 7 years then I think you need to take a good, hard look at the real world. In light of a couple of recent cases I reckon the 'not in the first contract' limit would also give AJX a good chance to say, 'thanks for coming and good luck with future jobs' while handing someone their final pay check and getting rid of a pilot who they don't really want to keep but are almost forced to by virtue of the fact that they invested in sticking the person in the left seat. The same goes for the pilot too, of course.

jrmyl
31st Aug 2014, 09:16
And to add to the above info about upgrades. I will start the upgrade evaluation process next month. I have been here 4 1/2 years. So if things were to go well, I should be completing the upgrade about 1 month into my 5th year.

So maybe new joiners will be able to upgrade in the first contract and maybe not? :confused:

The Yank
31st Aug 2014, 14:17
And to add fuel to the rumour fire. I have now been told by 4 management guys that 8 upgrades a year will be the new norm.

But from previous experience they seem to have little more info than a line pilot.

Oh but did you hear! I am on the 787 course next week! ;). :E

EFC_
31st Aug 2014, 14:53
Thanks for the info Fratemate. I'm currently on the mighty E145, and I teach a sim course for the CRJ on the side for beer money. Going to tuck into the app today to make the Sept 1 cutoff.

The Dominican
31st Aug 2014, 15:40
The only fact here is that none of us ( most certainly including management) knows where this ship is headed...!

Rumors are always a way of life at AJX...., I'm still waiting for that ORD base I was told about during training 8 years ago:rolleyes:

jrmyl
1st Sep 2014, 01:41
You didn't hear, Dom? The ORD 777 base opens next month. I can't wait to not have to spend nights in the excel. ;)

The Dominican
23rd Sep 2014, 15:00
I usually try not to rant in pprune because there is plenty of that already. But I have to say that I don't really mind answering questions about this particular gig and what to expect, but please read the thread! I know it is massive and it's been going on for over 13 years but please go back and read from two or three years forward before you PM any of us with questions, the reason is that many of the usual questions have been addressed over and over again, but most importantly, many other things that you might not think about asking but that are important to know......! Again, I don't mind answering questions on PM's but if after all the effort that the AJX pilots have put into posting information here you are still asking if you get a confirmed ticket or is it standby?:ugh:

That is just plain lazy:rolleyes:

EFC_
1st Oct 2014, 12:31
Invited to pre-screening at the end of December for an FO position. I'm about 50 pages into this thread and wanted to thank you guys for all the great info. Quite helpful!

Tahitimax
2nd Oct 2014, 11:54
Why is AJX recruiting DEC captains ?
Is it because they want only Japanese (JCAB) captains, or they cannot upgrades the FO's (which have been waiting for their upgrade for 5 years.)

Thanks for your opinions on that.

galdian
2nd Oct 2014, 12:53
I'd be interested to see what the "usual suspects" say (who have given great info over time to those willing to read):

- maybe, just maybe, the business side have awoken to the fact that taking on a JCAB Captain (local or gaijin) saves money, only 1 set of training rather than 2??

Of course any savings will be pissed up the walls by another division (left hand/right hand concept)....but that's another cute concept for another time.

Are upgrades written into the contract....or just expected/hoped for/probabilities/possibilities??

BTW - wouldn't worry about the "business side awakening" ;)
BUT stranger things have happened - even in Nihongoland! :eek: :ok:

Over to the men of Great Wisdom!:E

Cheers all
galdian

The Dominican
2nd Oct 2014, 16:44
You've been in Japan too long Galdian...!:}

Upgrades are NOT guaranteed and NOT contractual....! Read this a couple of times before I continue:hmm:

Ok......., DEC's are as of late been just JCAB licensed pilots and not too many of them. And I am convinced that the business side of things here in Japan don't think as the business side of things you are referring too...., training costs don't seem to be a factor into consideration.

Upgrades have been done from within and historically they have been running at about the 4 year mark. Now, history is rumored that it will change...., it all depends on what kind of utilization ANA will give AJX going forward, at this point it's all a guess. But if things remain on the status quo, the numbers just don't add up for you to upgrade within the first contract. As for what the future holds, I'm as curious as anyone. :ugh:

EFC_
2nd Oct 2014, 16:46
All I can add to that is they currently say you will be evaluated for an upgrade opportunity at 5 years. I would definitely file that under possibility.

Fratemate
2nd Oct 2014, 22:34
I think they just haven't been bothered to change the advert :)

During the early days of AJX there were plenty of jobs elsewhere and they needed a decent carrot to attract people to the position. As time has moved on and slots have been filled the requirements have changed. In the past 1500 hours PIC on a CRJ would have got you the job. This then became 3000 PIC on something 737 sized and bigger and now they want a JCAB licence and prefer a 767 type rating. In theory they are still recruiting DECs but in practice the actual numbers through the door has reduced to almost nothing and certainly 'nothing' compared to 5 years ago.

flybywired
4th Oct 2014, 07:27
I am in the process of completing the application forms, and need some
advice from people who have been there before. The issue is in regard to dual time and cross country time, and how to satisfy the requirements. Firstly, as with most other pilots, I was given dual instruction during my initial flight training, and as part of type ratings on light aircraft. I logged this time in my logbook, and it is included in my accumulative total time throughout the logbook. The application guide states that dual time can not be included, and then goes on to say that all the flight time in the work history must match the totals in your logbook. How can it match your logbook when you can not include dual time or private flying in light aircraft? How have other people dealt with this problem, do you subtract that time and start a new page at the end of your logbook, that only includes PIC and Co-pilot time logged as per your work history? I don't want to rewrite entire logbooks out again!
Also regarding the cross country, My logbooks do not have a columns for x-country Total time or PIC. What is the best way to show this, insert new columns with the headings, or just provide a summary? Thanks for your help.

Fratemate
6th Oct 2014, 06:32
You should include your dual time in your total flying experience. Are you sure there is no field on the form to enter dual or PUT time, as I seem to recall there was (albeit some time ago now)? Clearly they are the same thing.

If there is no dual/PUT column then I would put it in the P2 field. The main thing is not to claim for PIC when you weren't and this, in my view, would be the best way of doing it.

As for cross country, until recently there were very few logbooks which had a X/C column and it's certainly more of a judgement call than entirely specific. I believe anywhere outside 7 miles or so from the airfield qualifies as cross country, so my advice is to look through your logbooks (especially early days) and subtract the circuit details from your totals and what remains is cross country and hopefully that will exceed 100 PIC....or it's no ATPL for you :) There is no requirement to have it logged separately (until you get your JCAB logbook) and the Japanese do understand that different authorities do things differently. Just make sure you are able to show how you arrived at your figure......i.e. you've taken out all your 'local' flying.

flyingBPRP
7th Oct 2014, 15:22
I just got an email inviting me to a pre screening event hosted by CREW in las vegas next month. Anyone have any insight as to what happens at one of these? is it an interview, or just an information session to review our documents? Any info would be much appreciated.

cheers

EFC_
7th Oct 2014, 17:19
As far as the FAA is concerned, to log a flight as cross country in a fixed wing aircraft you must land at an airport greater than 50nm away.

atlas12
14th Oct 2014, 12:11
Folks, I am after clarification on tax payable for AJX salaries, particularly from anyone who lives in Australia. By my calculation if I had to pay tax back here in oz, my take home pay would be around AUD $1400/wk. I already make more at my current job and I am not really interested in taking a pay cut.

If the the take home pay was as advertised $7200 USD/mo that would be a different story. Can anyone clarify?

gtseraf
14th Oct 2014, 12:43
speak to a tax expert at home before you consider the job, the contract clearly states you are liable for your own tax.

atlas12
14th Oct 2014, 13:21
Thanks gtseraf (http://www.pprune.org/members/4846-gtseraf),

It looks like I'd be paying between 30 and 40% tax back here on oz, which is kind of a deal breaker. I'm keen to fly a wide body though. Tough choice :(

AviatoR21
16th Oct 2014, 02:09
I think sometimes you've got to bite the bullet, get out of your comfort zone and take the 'calculated' risk. Sure, you might be earning more at your current job but is that where you want to be in say 5 or even 10 years. Food for thought, we are all different with different circumstances. Good luck though.

Fratemate
16th Oct 2014, 03:36
Atlas,

You need to think long and hard about why you want to move to AJX. If it's to fly a 'widebody' then just forget it and continue to enjoy working from your home country. Once the cockpit door is closed they are all the same width and within a very short time the 'thrill' of flying something bigger wears off (who cares if you flare at 10' or 30'). Far, far more important is lifestyle and if I could afford to I'd be flying bug smashers around the patch rather than spending so much of my time away from home. Remember, when you're in Japan then days off in the schedule are spent in Japan and standby days are spent in Japan. If you finish a trip early and have the rest of the day off, guess where it's spent? I would much rather be able to use the time that we get off, in addition to our regular days off, mowing the lawn or cleaning the car but I can't because I'm removed by a mile or two.

The commuting jobs are normally only made attractive by paying more and if you're not going to take home significantly more money than your current job then don't bother; fly from home and take my word for it that a 767 is not a big deal.

flyingBPRP
16th Oct 2014, 15:47
For any US based guys/gals. How do you go about keeping your FAA ATP current. Im currently at a 121 regional carrier and have a screening in Las Vegas in a few weeks. I was curious what you do to not let it expire.(Ive been spoiled in the 121 world with keeping everything up to day due to training etc) Obviously my current Type Rating on the EMB-145 would expire which i figured isn't that big of a deal but of course i want to keep my ATP current. Do you just rent and do the required takeoffs, landings and Instrument approaches etc when your home? any info would be much appreciated.

IZAD
16th Oct 2014, 16:27
Under JCAB rules you are FAR129 operator. Once AJX completes your training you have a full Japanese certificate, not a validation. The FAA medical and others are irrelevant once you are certified in Japan.
It would be incumbent upon you to enquire directly from your FSDO on your particular circumstances for recency under FAR121.

flyingBPRP
17th Oct 2014, 12:26
Thank you for the response.

Armani
19th Oct 2014, 13:00
Atlas:

Consider this Job only if you don't have a job.
In my opinion, you should stay where you are.
Good Luck Mate

atlas12
20th Oct 2014, 11:39
Thanks for the responses fellas, but what would you say to someone who is keen on breaking into long haul but there are zero opportunities to do so here in oz. Also a direct route to the sand pit is basically impossible, I need the wide body time. Still undecided.

The Dominican
20th Oct 2014, 13:00
atlas12 Thanks for the responses fellas, but what would you say to someone who is keen on breaking into long haul but there are zero opportunities to do so here in oz. Also a direct route to the sand pit is basically impossible, I need the wide body time. Still undecided.

You just answered your own question...! What jobs/contracts are out there where you can jump into wide body flying without previous experience? There are the jobs at the sandpit, there is KAL (impossible to upgrade), I think everything in China is DEC right now and also impossible or at least very improbable to upgrade, EVA, Air Asia, Jetstar...., Air Fiji (not sure if they have an upgrade program....!) And a couple more that I'm sure to be missing.

Out of all of these options the ones that have a better combination of days off, pay, upgrade opportunity, and job stability (as stable as these jobs get anyways) in wide body flying are the jobs at the sandpit and AJX...!

Having said that......, we have no idea where this ship is headed and the utilization that ANA will give to AJX going forward is a mystery at this point, so the upgrades might be affected by it, we just don't know! Coming here you might get to the left seat on a wide body but it is a big gamble to say the least!
If wide body command at the shortest time is what you want, go to Qatar or the unmentionable one out on the sandpit, if you want the possibility of eventual left seat wide body flying but also want stability of days off & commuting conditions then try for AJX and hope that your lottery ticket gets the price, and it IS a lottery!

All I can say is apply, go to interviews at the sandpit and here, get the job offer, then you have a decision to make because without a job offer it is all academic.

atlas12
20th Oct 2014, 23:38
Thanks Dominican, I have applied for AJX, just awaiting a response and in the mean time having a think about my options. Leaning towards staying in my current role, the lifestyle is very good here just very limited career progression.

Fratemate
21st Oct 2014, 05:05
Atlas,

Check your PMs

dustyskies
3rd Nov 2014, 08:18
Hi guys I might go for my interview in Dec. I remember someone saying that there is still a lot of Captain/Captain flying going on. I was told by Parc that lots of upgrades took place and AJX needs F/O's now. I wonder if that's the truth or is AJX just looking for F/O's because there's an imbalance between Cpts and F/Os anyways??? Can someone can please help me out here?! :)
Also, can one really count of getting 14 days OFF (12days+2days leave) a month?? Again Parc said it isn't a problem at all.......but we all know the difference between what you've been told and what to expect in reality ;)

Fly safe!

Fratemate
4th Nov 2014, 00:16
There is certainly a lot less capt/capt flying going on now because they did change their way of doing things and most recently employed pilots are FOs. To be accepted as a direct entry captain you now have to hold a JCAB ATPL and, preferably, be type-rated. The type-rating isn't an absolute but the JCAB licence is. Obviously this means there is now more 'normal' flying going on and the capt/capt stuff is a lot rarer.

For the time being they are employing more FOs but bar talk suggests they are getting close to their target number of pilots, so I would expect the intake to slow down in the fairly near future.

Also, in the past FOs could expect to start the upgrade process around the 3.5 year mark but this is already changing and I foresee it getting pushed back to the beginning of the second contract i.e. after 5 years. This is based on nothing more than a feeling in my bones that they are captain heavy (although a lot less than before), they have few sim slots, SOME of the FO experience is lower than in the past and the completion of the first contract is a natural break for both parties to part company if it is warranted.

If you choose to use your vacation days each month then, yes, it is really no problem getting 14 days off per month. Some pilots do it that way, some save all their vacation days and use them in bigger blocks, some pilots back-to-back one months days off to the next month (but then have to pay back by being in Japan for 5 weeks or so); there are a lot of combinations but PARC are telling you the truth. The secret to us being able to keep this great option is by us being a bit flexible now and then. It might be that AJX has a load of pilots on certain days and not many on others, so they might ask you if you can move your days off to help them adjust pilot numbers. Normally this is just a matter of two or three days either way and, when they're able, most pilots will help out and do so. This way the Company gets to cover their work and we get to keep a good days off policy. It's always under threat because it would be far easier for AJX to allocate days off blocks for us to 'bid' for but all the while we are prepared to be flexible with our days off then the Company will let us keep going the way we are.....and long may it remain :ok:

jrmyl
4th Nov 2014, 12:26
Also, to clarify/add to what Fratemate has said, the upgrades at this point are coming just prior to the 5 year point. So plan on completing the first contract as an FO.

triplese7en
4th Nov 2014, 18:40
Hey Fratemate,

I'm quite interested in applying to AJX as an FO, but I first need to slap my A320 rating onto my EASA license (thus reactivating it), which is something I have an appointment for in early December; the reason I need to do this is because the license that I currently operate with is a P2 rating only. My question is simply: do you think they'll still be hiring in another month, or will I miss my window of opportunity?

Fratemate
4th Nov 2014, 23:57
To be absolutely honest, I don't know but you may be okay. Rumour Control suggests they want around 240 pilots but nobody seems to be able to confirm that. At the moment we have about 216, including the class in the groundschool. There are two, possibly three, guys leaving so I would surmise they need at least three classes next year and possibly four. Now, the important thing is I have absolutely no idea how many pilots are in the holding pool and waiting for those classes, neither do I have any idea of the 'strength' of those applicants. Come to that, I have no idea if they consider the 'strength' of the applicant over when they did the selection.....it's all a recruiting mystery that only the Japanese will know about.

If you're keen to do the job then my advice would be to get the ball rolling. Lodge your application and explain to whichever contract agency you're using about the A320 rating and the expected date of completion. They are obviously not going to send you to Japan for selection until you're qualified but they can pencil you in for one of the dates from December onwards and assume you will be by then.

I don't think this contract is suddenly going to dry up completely. IF the 240 pilots rumour is true then they are still going to need to recruit now and then to account for normal attrition but many fewer classes would be required and the gaps between classes much larger than they are now. I imagine they would also be able to be far more choosy if they had many applicants for few slots.

Finally, please remember this is all based on rumour. If we change aircraft type then that may affect numbers. If there's another huge earthquake that might do something for recruiting. Only the Japanese really know what's going on and we are not privy to those thoughts :hmm:

767 Autopilot
4th Nov 2014, 23:59
According to rumors from a management pilot (must be true:*) ANA needs AJX to have 280 pilots by the end of next fiscal year (March 2016). We now have 240 (including trainees) and figuring in that 15 to 20 will retire, leave or be fired by then, we need to hire another 60 pilots in next 18 months. 6 to 8 per class every other month.
Of course this can change tomorrow but for the past 6 or 7 years the hiring has never stopped and I do not expect it to stop soon.
Captain upgrades are now at about 5 year mark, but that might come back to 4 next year when we hit the group of slow hiring from 3-4 years ago. We had a 6-8 month period when class size was small so it will accelerate things a little if they keep upgrading 12 per year as previously. This fiscal year we have only 8 upgrades.

triplese7en
5th Nov 2014, 03:28
Fratemate and 767 Autopilot,

Thanks very much for your responses. Maybe I'll see ya in Narita next year. :ok:

six7driver
5th Nov 2014, 10:36
Any Canadian AJX pilots living in YVR that can give me any info on life at AJX?. PM only please.

cheers,
six

dustyskies
8th Nov 2014, 16:56
Thanks Fratemate!

Speaking of aircraft change, what's the latest bar talk? :ooh:

767 Autopilot
9th Nov 2014, 03:22
Looks like the cargo is expanding. News article is 2 months old but not reported here before.
ANA to Fly Cargo to India Amid Freighter-Fleet Expansion - Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-09-11/ana-to-fly-cargo-to-india-amid-freighter-fleet-expansion)

I also took a cargo airplane last week from NRT that had just come in from WIII - Jakarta, flown by management pilots, so that route might start soon too.
And I thought that the rumors were that cargo is dead and done soon:E

The Dominican
9th Nov 2014, 16:16
Speaking of aircraft change, what's the latest bar talk?

Rumor has it that you will be changing between the B763 freighter, to the BCF, to the freighter with winglets, to one passenger plane every other month:rolleyes:

I've said it before and I'll say it again..., come here if you are looking for roster stability, being able to choose your days off and business class commute...., if the opportunity to fly something besides the 76 is what you are looking for, go to a place where they are operating them currently....!

Ronand
16th Nov 2014, 19:56
I have been considdering AJX for quite a while now and have 2 more questions. Would appreciate an answer from somebody who currently works there.
1: As for tax: I understand that you will be liable for your own tax. Does the Agency or air Japan ask you to for a proof that you pay tax somewhere?, or do they just pay you the salary and it's up to you? Do you need to provide any details about your tax situation?
2: What are current drop out rates during the training for recent courses. I believe that the 9 month training pose a quite high risk, in case you drop out it might be very hard to find another job as you wont be current anymore.
Thanks for your help!

dustyskies
17th Nov 2014, 08:12
Hi Ronand,

I don't work for AJX, but I will go for my screening in Jan. I was told by Parc that a proof of your residency is what they need, no matter where that is.
Regarding your second question, at the time you join you must have your licence valid for 6 month. Guess you will be doing your check after 5-6 month of joining, therefore you should be safe either way....

But hey......I'm a rookey myself.....anyone a better explanation :8

Fly safe :ok:

Fratemate
17th Nov 2014, 08:59
1. No, you are not required to prove to your agency nor AJX that you have paid tax. As I understand it, CREW deducts some sort of tax for for the American pilots (glad to be corrected on this) but, basically, you are paid gross and it's up to you to pay tax in your own country.

2. I don't have the drop out rates but they are very low (this isn't Korean with 'instructors' that hate foreign pilots). Put in the work and you'll be fine. I can't recall the last time an FO failed and it has been only a few captains that haven't been able to master the trivia they want. There's less pressure on FOs since they obviously don't know anything and can't be expected to get things right (they think all FOs are cadets from ANA) whereas the captains are expected to know everything. After all, don't ALL captains know everything......apparently they think they do :eek:

TwoTone-7
20th Nov 2014, 11:48
Perhaps it's already been asked but I couldn't find it. What amount of sim time is allowed towards the 3000 hours.
Did anyone currently flying airbus go for the interview recently with sim assesment on the boeing? How was it, if you would be so kind to share.

Many Thanks!

TwoTone-7
20th Nov 2014, 11:49
Actually! Anyone staying at the excel hotel tonight?!