PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

hoover1
22nd Jul 2009, 19:36
how do most of you commute? do you let the company buy your tickets or take the money and get your own. Are ZED fares a good way to go and can you ever get confirmed or upgradeable to buisness or first class? I was aske din my interview if i planned on living in japan or commuteing and where from. they didn't seem to care what the answer is more so that i have thought about it. they are really looking tosee if you are excited about going to work there and how your wife will handle it.

The Dominican
22nd Jul 2009, 23:58
Hello Pin Head

We technically don't have any airplanes at AJX, we just get assigned one from the ANA's fleet and at the time we are serving six destination with a couple of additional seasonal charters in the mix and Fratemate already stated that AJV has currently 7 on line. Both companies are receiving new 76's

Hello Hoover

The vast majority of us are commuters and we use both the option of business class and Zed tickets, it all depends from where you commute and the frequency of flights. In my particular case there is only one flight a day so I commute on business class, a few of the guys live in the Asia/ Pacific region so they have many flights a day to NRT so there is no problem commuting on a Zed ticket

Hello Fratemate

gtseraf has answered your question regarding the small reduction in time of the course if you're paired up with another rated guy but I would just point out one thing in case some people get their hopes up a bit too high. I would suggest 21 days off between sim and route training is not the norm. Good on anyone who, by virtue of JCAB timings, instructor availability, whatever, gets to go home for a decent spell, like 21 days but, more normally, you can expect to get 10 days off between sims and route training.

Is this new? My indoctrination papers say that you will take your annual leave after the sim rides and not your monthly days off, we all took three weeks in between sim and line training and so did the class before us and the class after, so I'm wondering if this is a new thing :confused:

Fratemate
23rd Jul 2009, 05:32
Is this new? My indoctrination papers say that you will take your annual leave after the sim rides and not your monthly days off, we all took three weeks in between sim and line training and so did the class before us and the class after, so I'm wondering if this is a new thing

G'day mate,

I don't know how new this is and whether it applies to AJX & AJV or just us. In the indoc timeline we got, it shows 10 days off between sims and route training. This consisted of the 'required' days off per month, as opposed to the 10/11 days off you get once you've finished training + some leave days to make it up to 10.

I know things vary from course to course and the lucky ones get to have more than 10 off. I was trying to point that some may not get any more than 10 off, as was our case, so didn't want people getting their hopes raised and then dashed once they'd joined.

Unfortunately, none of the guys who joined AJX at the same time as we joined AJV were type rated, so I can't say for sure whether it made a difference being in the different companies as we kind of went our separate ways and obvioulsy ended up on different timelines.

See you around the bazaars :ok:

Hi Pinhead,

Just to expand a little:
767F = 767 freighter. Purpose built for the job and new airframes. Gucci LCD MCP etc

767BCF = 767 Boeing Converted Freighter. Converted from the oldest of ANA's pax 767s, so not new and has the older MCP 'bouncy' numbers.

Having said all that, the Japanese aircraft are immaculate and even the BCFs are in far, far better condition than any other company's pax fleet aircraft that I've experienced. I had my first MEL about 3 weeks ago but I don't really think a position light filament is too taxing and, naturally, it was fixed after our flight :). We only moan about the BCFs because we've been spoiled by the 767Fs and we like the newer toys in them.

ROO-C26B
23rd Jul 2009, 06:20
G'day everyone,

Very interesting and a lot of useful informations reading through the entire thread. I have apply about 10 days ago through IAC Global in Australia. Has anyone had any dealings with this recruiter? Would appreciate any Aussie to reply regarding commute, taxation issues and any other relevant info.

I hold a bare B763ER CMD rating on my CASA ATPL but that was back in 2004. For the sack of agrument if I am successful will AJV/AJX put me through a short course or a full course?

Thanks all in advance for your reply.

Cheers...!!

meguro
23rd Jul 2009, 07:25
We only complain about the BCFs' because they don't have a bunk. OH... and FADEC.
They have also been landed too many times to fly straight anymore.

ishi59
23rd Jul 2009, 11:02
Meguro

Bunks are for weak pilots:}:D.

Foreign pilots do not need rest, look at the duty regs. again.

swamp monkey
1st Aug 2009, 10:12
Can anyone shed some light on:

How many nights per tour ( per 20/21 days) do you spend in japan itself?

When in japan are you required to provide your own accomodation, and if so does the company have any agreement with a particular hotel for some kind of staff rate?

Thanks

The Dominican
1st Aug 2009, 23:36
Hello Swamp Monkey

The information you seek has been repeatedly discussed within this thread, just start going backwards and you will find plenty of information on life style here in Japan.

speediibird
3rd Aug 2009, 15:35
Does a Pterygium or its surgery proceedure for removal on the eye is a disqualifier for the Japan Civil Aviation Board ?

BobbyJ
5th Aug 2009, 14:00
Got the thanks but no thanks from Crew. 4500tt, mostly A320 and CRJ. No reason given. What times do people have that are getting interviews?

Talon757
5th Aug 2009, 15:33
BobbyJ, I'm not certain what the magic numbers are. I had 9045 hrs and typed on the 757/767, DC-10, L-1011, and 737 but couldn't tell you which was the deciding factor. I do know there are folks who have been picked up with straight CRJ as well. It is an exercise in patience, that's for certain. Looking for a possible phone call for the November class now.

The Dominican
5th Aug 2009, 16:00
Hey,

I would like hope to hear from someone working at AJX/AJV in regards to:

1) Do you have an "Active Captain Upgrade Program"?

Yes

2) How many FO's Pr.year is currently being upgraded?

Varies but I would say about three (per company)

3) How long does it take from DOH to to start the upgrade program

Right now is at about the 4 year mark

4) Has ANA ever talked about transitioning to another aircraft, or will the 767 be
around for the next 10-15 years?

Come here expecting to fly the 76 and you won't be disappointed

5) In regards to the 777 taking over the NRT-HNL route from Jan 2010, do you
feel that ANA will keep renewing your contracts, or do you think what happened
To JALways will happen to you?

ANA and JAL are two very different companies but the simple truth is that it is the nature of contract work, one day they need you and the next day they don't. But my personal impression is that it won't happen

Any response will be greatly appreciated,
Thank you

meguro
6th Aug 2009, 00:01
JAL disposing of their contract crew is related to their Government backed loan. If they didn't make the cuts, the didn't get the money and when you're in that situation the focus is likely to be on the foreign/contract staff.

For CRJ experience; The company is carrying a severe problem child that came from CRJ's, so that effects their inclinations in hiring. Strange logic, "CRJ guy is a problem, no more CRJ guys, no more problems":ugh:

Good luck to all.

The Dominican
7th Aug 2009, 12:11
In the past three years that this person you bring up has been here they have hired many pilots with nothing but regional jet times, the most recent one that I know off has been in training for only three months.
Besides, if they would eliminate the A/C types that the "problem childs" have flown before they would only have Antonov's left:hmm:

meguro
9th Aug 2009, 00:35
Dominican, Point taken. Have ANA hired anyone form left seat of CRJ to left seat of B6?
I think that game is up thanks to Leisure suit........

Good luck all.

The Dominican
9th Aug 2009, 13:46
Have ANA hired anyone form left seat of CRJ to left seat of B6?
I think that game is up thanks to Leisure suit

They have actually, six months after him they hired me and another AJV captain hired six months after me. About that game being up, it is all cyclical and it all depends on supply and demand, when this contract started about 8 years ago they hired a handful of guys that where flying the BAE 146 in Oz as both DEC's and F/O's, that my friend is most definitely a Regional Jet and some of those guys are RTC's today. I agree that for the time being the hiring of regional pilots as DEC's have stopped but due to supply and demand issues, there are simply too many experienced pilots out there looking for a job. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the guy, I particularly couldn't care less but looking at it without pride nor prejudice, do the Japanese really consider him a "severe problem child" as you described him? he passed his training without any retakes and he passed his OJT with good remarks from all his instructors, he hasn't missed a day at work due to sick calls or he hasn't missed a commute to work, he hasn't gotten a single FOQA report and you can't really say that what it's been said is related to his operation of the aircraft, can you? I contest that management actually considers him a productive pilot, I've flown with the guy three times and he is a safe operator. Do you really think that ANA is going to make a management decision on hiring trends because a couple of chief pursers don't like a particular individual? Or stop hiring from a particular A/C type to filtrate personality trades? Nah, that is more gossipy entertainment than anything else and the Japanese are a little more pragmatic than that.

oldhasbeen
9th Aug 2009, 21:26
...........not to mention the "respect" this guy deserves!:eek: ...pass me another chocolate biscuit:eek:

cf680c2b
10th Aug 2009, 02:24
In on of the other forums, I read that AJX (or was it AJV) gives the pilots a small apartment during training. Can anyone confirm or clarify. thnx.

koelemon
10th Aug 2009, 04:39
AJX provides a very nice apartment with a small kitchen and the location is very good. AJV provides only a hotel not sure if it had a refrigerator or not. For the time in training the Condo was a very nice place to stay and they even will provide a additional apartment when your family comes to visit.

cf680c2b
10th Aug 2009, 10:09
Koelemon, Thanks. I was thinking exactly about the family aspect. With an apartment, one can have the family come more than once while during training. I'm sure it will be tight if you have a couple of kids but possible?

Is another option to continue to pay for the extra apartment where the company leaves off?

Anyhow, I think training duration (or should I say the wifees disaproval of the duration) is what holds some folks back from applying.

The Dominican
10th Aug 2009, 15:20
I think training duration (or should I say the wifees disaproval of the duration) is what holds some folks back from applying.

This contract (or any other for that matter) would be impossible to sustain not only during the training period but also throughout the duration of the contract without the total commitment of your better half, remember that she will become effectively a single parent for 60% of the month and if she cannot handle the toilet clogging while you are 6,000 miles away, don't even bother applying

Talon757
10th Aug 2009, 18:34
I had to chuckle....that pretty much describes the entire USAF career as well as 14 years of flying for ATA. No big changes to get used to; I'm ready!

koelemon
10th Aug 2009, 19:45
Yes you can have the family stay longer. My family stayed 2 weeks. AJX paid for 1 week and I paid the same rate for week 2. I think it was around $90.00 per night much less expensive than any hotel in the area. If you do stay in one room it is tight quarters, if you have kids, but doable. They will provide you with a mattress to put on the floor for the kids, you just have to pick it up every morning so you can walk around. Another AJX guy had younger children that were not in school. They all stayed in the same room for much of his training. He stayed at the training center later and also used the table in the lobby and the Starbucks to study.

My family came out for a second visit and we all stayed in the one room. (Wife and 3 boys) We did OK and I used the Starbucks as a study area. There are a couple of playgrounds in the area around the condo for the kids to play at and a enclosed cage to play catch. My boys packed their Razors and baseball gloves. We then went to Narita and we had 2 rooms at the AJX rate together but you need to arrange this in advance. The hotel in NRT has a pool (swim caps required), Tennis court, gym, a fish pond to feed fish and a crew cafe that your family can eat at also.

As for the family/wife concerned about the long training, not sure what to tell you. I will say it is not easy but Skype is a lifesaver. I did get a 4 week break between GS and SIM because of the delay of the JCAB check rides getting scheduled but this will be taken care of by this fall because 2 ANA guys are getting approved to do the check rides in house so don't plan on a break like I was lucky enough to have.

Hope this helps.

cf680c2b
11th Aug 2009, 09:52
Dom..,

Your absolutely right. The wife must be onboard. My current gig takes me away the same amount of time so the monthly deal is not the problem, its the six month chunk. Mainly because of the kids.

Koelemon,

Very helpful post. You basically answered questions that were to come in future posts. Appreciate it.

Its a great contract, definitely worth working toward.

Poita
12th Aug 2009, 11:38
What engines do the AJV 767's have?

Storpikk
12th Aug 2009, 11:48
Not sure if its breaking news but the AJV contract is cancelled by Japan Post, as I predicted in a previous mail, the Air Japan (ANA) Ship is sinking just like Jalways. The losses experienced at ANA (Air Japan) will be the next Jalways as time continues and the airline economy continues to take a dive. Remember contract jobs will be the first one to be eliminated....Just keeping it real for the rest!!!. :ok::ok::ok:

89Pistons
12th Aug 2009, 13:24
Anyone have any more info on this? Is this true?

Storpikk
12th Aug 2009, 13:50
Yes the Japan Post is official.....its in the news in Japan. I am sure your contratct company will confirm it.

As the news for Air Japan (AJX), well time will show. Does not look to stellar given the economic environment....

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

crj705
12th Aug 2009, 13:59
Japan Post Service to end tie-up with ANA : Business : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri) (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/20090809TDY01302.htm)

Japan Post Service to end tie-up with ANA
The Yomiuri Shimbun

Japan Post Service Co. likely will end its air cargo agreement with All Nippon Airways due to an apparent lack of growth in the international shipping business, The Yomiuri Shimbun learned Saturday.

Japan Post Service, which is a part of the Japan Post Group, plans to sell ANA all of its stock in ANA & JP Express Co., a joint venture established with ANA before Japan Post was privatized. Japan Post Service, which holds 33.3 percent of shares in the company, likely will start negotiating with ANA soon.

Although Japan Post Service regarded international shipping as a growth area when it was privatized in 2007, the company apparently has decided to exit the business for now.

In addition to shrinking domestic postal service business, the company has not seen growth in international services in the nearly two years since its privatization in October 2007.

ANA & JP Express was established in February 2006 with 80 million yen in capital. The other major holders of its stock are ANA with 51.7 percent, Nippon Express with 10 percent and Mitsui O.S.K. Lines with 5 percent. The company operates freight services between Japan and South Korea and other countries.

In an attempt to increase international freight operations of the joint venture, Japan Post had promoted comprehensive tie-up negotiations with TNT Express, a major Netherlands-based international shipping company. However, the negotiations broke down in June 2006.

(Aug. 9, 2009)

I don't read anything there that says that AJV is going away. There have been rumors of this happening for months now and this was one of the things that had to happen if AJV and AJX were to re-merge. Also note this from the ANA financial report:

"Domestic cargo volumes dropped overall year-on-year, however home parcel delivery services using flights centred on Okinawa held steady. Although international volumes also fell overall, demand began to gradually return from March this year, with shipments to China, Taipei and Seoul actually outperforming the same term of the previous year."

Storpikk, do you just wish ill will on people for kicks? You sure are taking a lot of liberty of telling people they are out of jobs based on a news report of a stock sell that was expected. There were cargo flights before AJV and I am pretty sure ANA isn't getting out of the cargo business.

Storpikk
12th Aug 2009, 14:19
Hey CRJ, I dont wish bad on anyone, its not a personal attack. But I suggest with due respect you pull your head out of the sand, dont get to comfortable. The hammer may hit your ass, after all you are on a contract and not part of the team. But hope the best for all of you guys at AJX

crj705
12th Aug 2009, 14:29
Where do you get off telling me or anyone else here to pull their head out of the sand? Why do you assume that we are idiots and don't know how the contract world works? Do you really think there is one person here that thinks there would be an ANA pilot put on the street instead of one of us? Please, give me a break.

So given that you are not here and part of our "team", I wonder what you base your assumptions on? Do you have anything other than "the economy is bad", and "it happened at JALways so it will happen to you too"? Where do you get your information that AJV is done? Please enlighten me because I sure can't find it.

atldrvr
12th Aug 2009, 14:31
It is not all doom and gloom at ANA. While it is a tough environment things appear to be slowly improving. Definitely not as bad as JAL.
http://www.rns-pdf.londonstockexchange.com/rns/6445W_1-2009-7-31.pdf

The Dominican
12th Aug 2009, 18:28
What engines do the AJV 767's have?

Hello Poita

The General Electric CF6-80C2B's are installed in both cargo and passenger 763's here

gtseraf
12th Aug 2009, 23:16
Hello Storpikk.

You do make a valid point, in that no jobs are safe given the current environment.

I would assume, by your attitude, that you are not involved in AJV/X and you may even be happy to see it all fall in aheap.

The info we, as insiders, are getting, is that there is significant growth planned for NEXT year and we are part of those growth plans. ANA's results, while not so good, are nowhere near as bad as JAL's. Also, it appears to me, there was more to the demise of Jalways then meets the eye. Based purely on rumour and speculation, so there are no facts to bear this out.

AJX/V are still planning new pilot intakes.

Now, I know that none of this means they won't/can't pull the plug on us next week.

I am sure we are all realistic about the future and are planning accordingly.

So please, if you have nothing positive to offer, apart from crowing about other people's POSSIBLE misfortune,

GO AWAY!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::=

retflyboy
12th Aug 2009, 23:40
atldrvr

Last line of !Q report lists members of ANA Group, I see AJX but not AJV ?
Just curious.

luahh
13th Aug 2009, 00:13
Storpikk,

I bet ya that you are one of the Jalways guys rejected by ANA on his application. I worked for Jalways for few years and can tell you that nothing compares to the incompetence of those guys. Just the fact that at ANA they don't change CEOs like hiring a new maid for your house, makes a big difference on the way they manage their company. ANA is just taking advantage of Jal's incompetence and probably will keep growing regardless of the actual world's economic cycle.

Find another job man, try Skymark, FDA or some other operator in China.

Cheers.

cf680c2b
13th Aug 2009, 09:10
How many pilots on each side?

if AJV is in trouble then the guys there can shift to AJX and save their jobs in some manner.

How many is Air Japan looking to hire?

Good Luck to all!

The Dominican
13th Aug 2009, 19:03
if AJV is in trouble then the guys there can shift to AJX and save their jobs in some manner

What makes you think that AJV is in trouble? just because one of the partners sells their share? ANA sold their shares in NCA that didn't mean that NCA was to go under or anything of that sort, it only meant that their business philosophies where going in different directions and ANA wanted to have more control over their cargo business and guess what? that hasn't changed. Too much has been made from this not so new news, and not enough attention has been made on other factors like ANA picking up all the 787 options that where dismissed by other operators or the fact that they picked up more options on the 777's or the fact that they are still receiving brand new 767's. The only hammer they are going to drop is coming out of this economical downturn as the premier carrier in Asia:ok:

Bahamapilot
13th Aug 2009, 23:03
This is my first post so forgive me if I make any mistakes..I have been reading the thread and indeed it seems that you guys at AJV/AJX do enjoy your jobs...Dominican are you still flying and if so, do you think the hiring trend will continue by 2011?.If so what is the maximum age requirement for F/O?..Are there any guys from the Carribean flying over there?

Poita
14th Aug 2009, 02:22
Hey guys I've read through this entire thread but still have a few questions (some important and some not) about the AJV side of things:
1. During the 6 months training is there only one oppotunity to go home and thats between ground school and sim?

2. Do you get fed on the freighters and if so is the food good, bad, or ugly?

3. Any 3 crew sectors? If not is controlled rest a done thing for this airline?

4. Has anyone not been offered a contract renewal after 5 years?

5. I assume PARC gets paid by ANA somehow as their fee is not take out of the pilots pay. Is this correct?

6. I see max flying hours is 100 per months are there any unusually long flight or duty limitations that they can roster your for that are potentially very fatiguing.

7. A lot have been saying that AJV get 11 days off consecutive per month but I dont recall seeing that in the info I have recieved from them. Is this extra day off just a blank day that is given in good will?

8. For the interview are there many behavioural based questions like: "Tell us a time you've had to work under pressure", "had to think on your feet", or "had to change your communication style" ... that sort of stuff?

Many thanks for your help again chaps this forum is very useful.
Poita.:}

luahh
14th Aug 2009, 03:38
For those of you concerned about Japan Post selling its stake at JP Express to ANA and for those who believe these guys don't know what they are doing, read this article and also do some research about what ALLEX is and about the agreement signed between UPS and ANA (Allex).

"OCS, ALLEX merge http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/images/M_images/pdf_button.png (http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/0) http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/images/M_images/printButton.png (http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/0) http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/images/M_images/emailButton.png (http://www.impactpub.com.au/aircargo/0) Friday, 26 June 2009 Overseas Courier Service (OCS) and All Express (ALLEX) have signed off on a merger that will see them both operate under the OCS brand from 01 August.
OCS is a long-established Tokyo, Japan-based international parcel delivery and forwarding company 34.5 per cent owned by ANA, while ALLEX is an express parcel delivery service owned by ANA and Japanese forwarders Nippon Express and Kintetsu World Express that provides next-day deliveries to neighbouring Asian countries.

The companies say that by combining the experience of OCS and the sales network of ALLEX, they can better leverage their respective strengths to expand their share of the growing express delivery market in Asia.

Making use of ANA’s Okinawa cargo hub network, which opens in October this year, the new company aims to become a regional integrator providing door-to-door delivery services."
ANA's new express cargo JV Allex to have 14 aircraft

smat
14th Aug 2009, 05:04
Now JP Express is selling all the shares to ANA, so what happen to AJV?
Just curious, AJV was the joint venture between ANA and JP Express, and now is 100% subsidiary of ANA.
What's the relationship between AJV and ANA Cargo?:confused:

JetPilot_Mike
14th Aug 2009, 11:55
According to the recruiter at Crew, this was planned for some time and should have no bearing on either AJX or AJV's future hiring plans.

flyingchti
14th Aug 2009, 16:13
After a conversation with crew I was informed that even though I am furlough I should give up my seniority number with my current company.
Are they looking for JUST 5 year contract or are they looking for 30 years of work?
Thanks

Lessnessman
14th Aug 2009, 18:09
Interested in oopinions on the perceived best Crewing Company. I have searched this Thread for opinions. It seems people are using different companies.. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.. Please

Nessman

JetPilot_Mike
14th Aug 2009, 20:19
If you are in the USA with a family I would take a hard look at Crew. They have better health insurance options than the other non-US based companies.

Bahamapilot
15th Aug 2009, 03:21
Do you guys think someone with over 3000 hrs total time with no jet experience can get a shot in the year 2011 when things turn around..If so
what can a guy do to get himself ready besides trying to get jet time
which is hard to get where I live...

cf680c2b
15th Aug 2009, 13:28
I am glad to hear you are confident about the future, and Im being sincere because I'm thinking about joining.

I don't know if you're on the cargo side but I have some q's for the fellas in cargo.

1) I read that you might loose the US flying for a while. Does that look like it will happen, when?

2)When it comes back, which US destinations are rumored?

3) with 14 a/c planned, how many US destination will be served (hypothesies if you have to)?

4) How many current pilots and how many planned?

5) How many current a/c?

Now I know most of you are busy, so short answers will suffice. Thanks in advance!

The Dominican
15th Aug 2009, 14:27
I am glad to hear you are confident about the future, and Im being sincere because I'm thinking about joining

I am actually, this airline entered this recession with a very good cash position because they where planning to upgrade their fleet but due to Boeing's woes and all the problems they have had with the 787 and the 748, ANA ended up with a good economical position from the sell of their stock in NCA and the sell of some of their hotels here in Japan. Of course I don't have a crystal ball and we are watching all these developments carefully but we are watching them with more curiosity than concern since they have always stated that their subsidiaries are part of their restructuring plans (lets face it, we are cheap)

About your specific question on AJV, I'll let one of my AJV compadres take a swing at it

Do you guys think someone with over 3000 hrs total time with no jet experience can get a shot in the year 2011 when things turn around..If so
what can a guy do to get himself ready besides trying to get jet time
which is hard to get where I live...

It will be impossible for me to predict their need in two or three years from now or how will the "supply and demand" balance swing. The job is pretty competitive right now and they are hiring guys for F/O slots right now that actually meet captain minimums so all I can say is stay tuned and see what happens

Fratemate
16th Aug 2009, 10:44
1. During the 6 months training is there only one oppotunity to go home and thats between ground school and sim? Yes, usually. There might be an opportunity, for instance, to sneak away for a bit over Xmas but the course is designed around you being able to go home once (with them paying the air fare). Note: If you're not type rated then bank on 7 months at least.

2. Do you get fed on the freighters and if so is the food good, bad, or ugly? Yes. It's okay and they load bigger portions on our flights versus what the ANA guys get because westerners are fat bar stewards and need to scoff more. Get used to choosing between beef or fish and developing your cooking skills when you're PNF.

3. Any 3 crew sectors? If not is controlled rest a done thing for this airline? No. Not officially and not normally done with a Japanese pilot with you. However, with a westerner, different story 99% of the time and 100% of the time with me :ok:

4. Has anyone not been offered a contract renewal after 5 years? Yes. I understand that keeping your nose clean and just getting on with the job will normally mean a renewal. Upsetting the Japanese too many times, especially with the things they consider important (usually paperwork-based) might not get that second contract.

5. I assume PARC gets paid by ANA somehow as their fee is not take out of the pilots pay. Is this correct? Correct. Don't let it worry you. Parc will send your salary to your chosen bank and their fees have already been deducted way before it appears on your statement. Your contract tells you how much you'll get paid and that's what happens.

6. I see max flying hours is 100 per months are there any unusually long flight or duty limitations that they can roster your for that are potentially very fatiguing. You'll NEVER get anywhere near that with AJV, nearer 40ish. The NRT-HKG-NRT is the most knackering trip we have because it's all at night on the wrong side of the clock. However, see above re controlled rest.

7. A lot have been saying that AJV get 11 days off consecutive per month but I dont recall seeing that in the info I have recieved from them. Is this extra day off just a blank day that is given in good will? It was agreed when the AJX guys were 'bribed' to go to AJV to start it up. They give you 11 days off. Don't worry about it; they are honourable people and wouldn't go back on their word. If they did I think there would be trouble but I'm 100% certain that won't happen. On your roster you get the 10 days off + an international blank day.

8. For the interview are there many behavioural based questions like: "Tell us a time you've had to work under pressure", "had to think on your feet", or "had to change your communication style" ... that sort of stuff? Not when I did mine. More a pleasant chat about my history and SOPs in my existing airline (which shoked the hell out of them because they are FAR-based and not JAR).

Poita
16th Aug 2009, 12:59
Thanks for the reply Fratemate.:ok:

Fratemate
17th Aug 2009, 00:19
1) I read that you might loose the US flying for a while. Does that look like it will happen, when? AAArrrgghhhh, LOSE. LOSE. LOSE. Not loose. Okay, now that's off my chest, yes, we will almost certainly stop the ORD flights. We are down to one per week at the moment and, in my experience, even then the USA loads are pretty crap. There is a lot of deadheading going on at the moment just to service that one flight and it really is a bit of a nonsense. It's a shame because the ANC/ORD trips we used to do were great fun and a good way of getting 6/7 days of work done in one fell swoop.

2)When it comes back, which US destinations are rumored? The only rumour I've heard is HNL. Again, this will be one per week, with a short layover in order that the same crew can bring the aircraft back to NRT. Who knows where when we get the 777....just kidding.

3) with 14 a/c planned, how many US destination will be served (hypothesies if you have to)? See Q2. Our services are not concentrated at all on America, so if it's only America you want to fly to, don't even bother downloading the application form. There's certain big guys like Fedex and UPS who have the States sewn up and I don't think the Japanese have any interest in trying to compete with such mammoth operations (even if the USA's monopolyptic laws allowed them to). The plan, as it stands, is to serve Asia with a more centralised operation working through Okinawa, so forget the USA.

4) How many current pilots and how many planned? They are all current and all are planned to be so. Sorry, its morning and I'm feeling sarcastic :bored: We presently have about 85ish pilots. We have not been given any firm figures and I don't KNOW the planning figures but, at a guess, I would say in the region of 150-160 planned. Before I get flamed, I'll explain my thinking. We have 7 aircraft at the moment (4 x F and 3 x BCF) and approx 85 pilots. The scheduling guys are saying that's not enough pilots (:confused:), so let's say they wanted 90 pilots to crew 7 aircraft. The plan is to have 12 aircraft, hence the number above. Now, I'm sure there are 'savings' to be made when the number of pilots hits critical mass, so it may well prove to be fewer than that. To me, 150 sounds about right. But, as I've said, this is pure speculation on my part and should not be used in trying to plan your life.

5) How many current a/c? See Q4.

Fratemate
17th Aug 2009, 09:36
Do you guys think someone with over 3000 hrs total time with no jet experience can get a shot in the year 2011 when things turn around

From the Parc website for FO:

- Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours

- Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours

This has been pretty consistent over the years. So, to answer your question directly. No, I don't think you'll get a shot with no jet time.

cf680c2b
17th Aug 2009, 10:02
Fratemate, Your a Champ! Thanks for taking the time to write :ok:

crj700cpt
18th Aug 2009, 10:07
I have an interview very soon with them, Do you have any informations and questions about it.

Any help will be appreciate.

Regards:ok:

4PW's
18th Aug 2009, 17:53
You have GOT to be kidding.

There are so many pages on this very subject, right here on this thread.

Read them.

What more can you ask for?

What more can you be told?

The Dominican
18th Aug 2009, 22:10
Go back to page 30 or so crj700cpt. there is some info on tech questions and the likes.

Poita
19th Aug 2009, 07:55
A few guys have mentioned that the Gleim ATP book is a good one to study for the tech side of things I have "Ace The Technical Pilot Interview" by Gary Bristow. Is this book good enough or is there more good stuff in the Gleim book. I assume everyone means Gleim's "ATP FAA Knowledge Test Book" cos there are a few Gleim books out there. Thanks.

JetPilot_Mike
19th Aug 2009, 23:22
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could explain how the pay works, specifically from Crew, if possible. Specifically, is the money that they list for Pension ($550) and hotel ($550) just paid with the basic salary and taxed, or is somehow added in as post-tax money?

Thanks.

The Dominican
20th Aug 2009, 23:01
"Ace The Technical Pilot Interview" by Gary Bristow. Is this book good enough or is there more good stuff in the Gleim book.

That is actually a very good source of study to get ready for the interview, the important area to impress them is in the sim and I don't think that it is a big deal if you miss a question or two if you do a good job in the sim. Your personality will be closely examine as well but that is something you can't really control, they either like you or not

Good luck Poita

Let us know how it went:ok:

89Pistons
21st Aug 2009, 00:59
Looking through some of the gouge in the thread here and have a question regarding a question that someone in this thread was asked. At 200' one dot off the slope and one dot off the glide, how far off in feet are you? I can't remember the formula. Can someone out there refresh my memory? Thx in advance.

Also, are you expected to know how to set up the CDU for approaches and tune NAVAIDS and courses? When to go from Auto to Manual? Do you have to request that or do they do that for you automatically? Thanks.

I looked through every page in the thread and couldn't find the answer but I did look.

luahh
21st Aug 2009, 05:54
Do you guys know what's the name of the hotel AJV candidates stay during training in TYO? Does it have internet?

Thanks.

KwikFly
21st Aug 2009, 13:38
Hi all,
is there anybody from the old world (W-Europe) flying there?

serenitynow
21st Aug 2009, 20:16
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and applied through Parc and Crew about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone that is presently interviewing could tell me how long it took for them to hear back with an offer to interview.

Thanks in advance for your response.:)

Hobbit
22nd Aug 2009, 00:20
The hotel is the Mitsui Garden in a place called Kamata. It does have an internet connection in each room.

Hobbit
22nd Aug 2009, 00:22
KwikFly there are quite a few Europeans here including a couple of Brits, an Irishman, and some Danes that I know about, there are certainly more. As to how many commute back to Europe? That is a different question that I do not know the answer to.

Fratemate
22nd Aug 2009, 01:07
At 200' one dot off the slope and one dot off the glide, how far off in feet are you? I can't remember the formula.

The answer is 33.5m or about 110'. With a 60m wide runway, not the best position to be in and, therefore, the answer they're looking for is that you'd go-around, as safety is paramount.

Using a 3000m runway, the localiser is normally 3.6 degs wide (such that the beam width is 700' wide at the threshold of the runway). Therefore, on the expanded scale, one dot = 0.45 degs. Total distance from LOC antenna to your aircraft at 200' = 4267m. So, Tan45 X 4267 = 33.5m......or 110' for philistines :)

You ask your PNF to set the CDU for you, either for the VOR app or the ILS app. You can, if you wish, extend the centreline as you approach the inbound radial/localiser or you can just leave the picture as it is (I would suggest the latter and concentrate on the approach. The fancy stuff can come later during training). For the VOR, you go to manual about 5 miles before crossing the VOR outbound on the procedure (you can check station passage and confirm distance from the VOR, even though you're going out for 3 minutes). For the ILS, have the PNF go to expanded ILS on the base leg. That way you'll see the LOC activity a bit sooner and, more importantly, get the ILS DME on your display. You're acting as PF, so you always ask the other guy to do something, don't expect him to do it automatically.

luahh
22nd Aug 2009, 02:24
Thanks Hobbit, appreciate it. Is there any cost for the internet at the Mitsui Garden.

89Pistons
22nd Aug 2009, 05:17
Thank you Fratemate.

snotneus
22nd Aug 2009, 07:34
Just got a no thanks e-mail from parc. Man that's disponding, I really was expecting an interview.
The idea of having to wait a whole year , just feels sooooo long,
What is the general feel, apply with HAC? (i don't live in the u.s.)
Thanks for all the good info.

Fratemate
22nd Aug 2009, 09:28
Luahh,

The Internet is free in the Mitsui Garden Hotel.

luahh
22nd Aug 2009, 16:56
Snotneus,

It doesn't matter whether you live in the USA or not to apply through CRew (HACS). What I can tell you is that once ANA rejects an application, it makes no difference applying through another leasing company, unless you missed to provide accurate and important information in your first application (flight times, aeronautical form, etc) that PARC didn't catch on time before submitting it, however, I boubt it becasue they have very competent people reviewing applications before submitting them to the J's. Try CRew anyways you never know, however I can tell you that I have a lot of buddies from JAL that reapply after their application were rejected with the same results. NO THANKS!

Good luck anyways.

Luahh

The Dominican
23rd Aug 2009, 07:10
I'm sorry to hear the news snotneus, I hope you find a soft field to land at

alexblue
23rd Aug 2009, 09:52
Scuse me Snotneus,

how long time ago did you apply for the position with parc?

hoover1
23rd Aug 2009, 22:23
i think that one dot off on the glide slop at a DH of 200' is 8' off. one dot on the CDI at 200' DH is 150'. Here is the info that I found.

ILS Basics (http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm)

Fratemate
23rd Aug 2009, 23:07
G'day Hoover1,

Whereas that guide to the ILS is useful, I don't think it is specific enough for the question asked. "Near the middle marker you're about 150' off the LOC" is close to what was asked but not really that accurate. It will, of course, change depending on the length of the runway, hence my qualification that my calcs were based on a 3000m long runway and, therefore, a LOC beam width of 3.6 degs. The only constant is the beam width will be 700' wide at the touchdown threshold, so shorter runway, wider beam.

The question referred to discusses only the distance from the centreline, not the glideslope. However, that's always easier to work out because (a)the beam width is constant at 1.4 degs (one dot being 0.35 degs) and (b)the glideslope antenna is, basically, at the threshold so you don't have to account for runway length and distance beyond the stop end of the LOC antenna. I know the glideslope crosses the threshold at 50' but was being simplistic to make the point about easier calculations.

Anyway, by now the Japanese interviewers would be snoring in their coffees and would have ticked the 'boring barsteward' box. They are only interested in basic technical stuff and I cannot believe anyone got asked this in an interview. This is the type of question JCAB would ask on the ATPL oral. They, unlike the good people of AJV, are nerdy geeks who need to get out more :)

hoover1
24th Aug 2009, 19:53
I agree with the answer being a bit too technical that is why I only remember it this way. I was asked at what speed the plane I currently fly, b737, will hydroplane at. I told them I didn't know the speed since it was dependent on tire preassure and told them the formula to figure it out. they seemed to bo okay with that answer. I don't know what the tire pressure is because I don't have to at my current company that is why we have mechanics although I am sure I am about to find out everything there is about the planes ANA flys.

On another note: has anyone who interviewed in early July heard back on a class date or if they even passed the medical?

bumba
26th Aug 2009, 20:50
G'day

someone by chance has in his pocket a couple of good web-link on how to prepare for the JCAB ATPL?

p.s. in plain english if possible!

Thanks

gtseraf
26th Aug 2009, 23:31
The only exams you'll write in the AJX/AJV system are Air Law, Radio and Type technical. ANA provide comprehensive ground school for them, so no need to find the info yourself.

There are 2 sim rides, type rating (if not already type rated) and ATPL, both with JCAB checker in the sim. Once again ANA provides full preparation and support.

fourgolds
27th Aug 2009, 07:35
Fratemate , please check your pm,s . Tks

Fratemate
27th Aug 2009, 17:51
Dear Mr 4 Golds,

I've replied to your PM but you might want to PM the previous poster (gtseraf) as he is the one you seek....allegedly :ok:

fourgolds
28th Aug 2009, 08:09
Tks FM , much appreciated. Will try that.

PurpleSurge
30th Aug 2009, 07:32
thanks to all for the info. just read all 43 pages. :ouch:

all that talk about uncorrected vision requirements is kinda unnerving when you are looking at a computer screen for 6 hours. :)

therefore i understand people coming on and re-posting similar questions because who has time to read all that. that said, let me jokingly post a few questions:

1. how many consecutive days off do you get? is it different on AJV?

2. can i avoid paying taxes?

:ugh:

just having a little fun there. i think i read this 10 days / 11 days matter discussed approximately 150 times. but it's all good.

dominican, love the positivity.

The Dominican
31st Aug 2009, 06:28
all that talk about uncorrected vision requirements is kinda unnerving when you are looking at a computer screen for 6 hours.

The medical causes quite a bit of anxiety because it is the only part of the interview that we just can't control, you are just going along for a ride.:ugh:

2. can i avoid paying taxes?

Yeah, after you die

just having a little fun there. i think i read this 10 days / 11 days matter discussed approximately 150 times. but it's all good.

It gets a little testy some times because folks don't take the time to do what you did, actually read the thread. There is a lot of good info on this gig already contained within this thread if people just take the time to read it but hey! just ask the question and one of two things can happen, you will get an answer or you will get bitten by one of the dawgs! :E

alexblue
31st Aug 2009, 21:09
HI all!

Just a quick question:

Does anybody know if is mandatory to be current (I`m 767 rated) for starting the course in japan?

Checking the agency website on the requirements doesn`t seem to be necessary current.

Thanks

Fratemate
31st Aug 2009, 23:10
Do you mean current on the 767 or in current flying practice?

If you're asking about the 767, then no, you do not have to be current on type to do the 'short' course. Lots of guys have flown different types since getting their 757/767 ratings but they still do the type-rated course. If it's on your licence you get out of HND early for good behaviour.

Current flying? I don't know the answer to that one since everybody who's applying at the moment seems to be pretty well qualified and up-to-date with their tests. That's not to say you can't apply; I just haven't heard of anyone who isn't current joining the Company.

The Dominican
1st Sep 2009, 00:22
If I remember correctly, one of the requirements is to have had a sim recurrent within the past six months. So up to date on the A/C you are currently flying but not necessarily on the 76 since you don't actually need to be typed on the 76 to apply

alexblue
1st Sep 2009, 08:58
That's correct! In fact my question was about having on the licence the 767 endorsed but not beeing current.

Poita
5th Sep 2009, 08:16
Can anyone in the know please confirm or deny the above post?:confused:

Storpikk
5th Sep 2009, 13:14
Poita,

What is there to confirm , Divine Wind is definately in the know!, open your eyes and follow the news...yes its possible even from ButtF.ck Kalamzoo to to find this news. Economy in Japan is very poor this days, and the jobs will ALWAYS go to Japanese pilots F I R S T and foremost. Actually the Japanese cleaning lady at ANA that scrubs the urinals, would have a higher status than you as a gaijin. I know allot of gaijin crewmebmers at ANA think all is hunky dory....but time will show, I don`t wish any bad on any gaijin crewmember, but I like to keep it real.

Just my two cents!!.....:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

serenitynow
5th Sep 2009, 13:54
Divine Wind,

Since you are in the "know". How come JPX/JPV are still interviewing? Just got my interview packet yesterday.

Serenitynow

Fratemate
5th Sep 2009, 14:07
Since we're "keeping it real" (whatever that stupid expression means), here's some balance to the doom and gloom brigade.

All Nippon Airways says it is forecasting a possible JPY3 billion profit for the current financial year, despite the airline recently reporting a JPY29.2 billion loss for the first quarter ending June.

Remaining positive, Shinichiro Ito ANA President said to Bloomberg News that he is seeing a rebound in sales, and predicts that full financial year ending March 2010 will report a profit. If this happens, it will be a big turnaround for the airline which saw a JPY4.3 billion loss this financial year passed.

“Economy-class demand is back to year-ago levels but demand for business trips is still lower,” said Mr Ito to Bloomberg News.

“We still have time and aim to make our profit target through sales alone.”

Recently ANA along with Japan Airlines, brought back fuel surcharges on international flights from the 1st of October this year. ANA has said that its fuel surcharges will sit at JPY7,000 for long-haul destinations including Europe, mainland North America and the Middle East.

Contrary to ANA JAL is predicting that this financial year will see it lose JPY63 billion come March end 2010

crj705
5th Sep 2009, 17:03
You have one or two guys who are sitting around waiting for AJX and AJV to fail to prove a point. Whatever their reason, they do nothing but post doom and gloom, post the bad news while ignoring anything that could have the slightest hint of positive news for any Japanese company that has gaijin pilots.

AJX is still interviewing and hiring. Will it continue? Who knows. Rumors are that it will slow but it has more to do with the 787 delay than with us being the gaijin pilots that are about to be shown the door. Pretty much everyone that actually works here and has an idea about the operation and plan for the company feels that things are ok for the moment. As for the future, it's an airline so who really knows.

It really gets old hearing over and over again from some posters on here that we are the gaijin and will be shown the door before any of the Japanese pilots. No s@*t sherlock. We all know that and are not idiots and don't need to keep hearing it over and over.

It is really pretty sad.

thepounder
6th Sep 2009, 00:26
You dont want to fly for ANA because they fly 767's? That is BS. You would fly a 152 for 10K a month. It's not what you fly, but how much you get paid to do it and how much time off you get.

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 02:34
Denial? Show me once where I have said that we are perfectly safe? In fact, if you actually go read my post again, you will find that I say over and over that no one knows what the future holds. You will also find that I have said over and over that everyone here understands that we are contract pilots. You will also find that I have said over and over that we also understand that our jobs are the first to go.

What gets old is the fact that you and storpikk seem to feel the need to come on here and keep reminding us and implying that we are all idiots. What do you want us to do? This is a really good job that is here today and will probably be here tomorrow. Should we quit and go somewhere else because it might not be here next month? The fact is, your guess is not better than my guess. But you both keep coming on here trying to scare guys from coming here. Why is that? And don't keep giving us this BS about trying to warn us.

The fact is that neither one of you work here. No matter how good you think your information is, you are outside looking in with an exceptionally strong bias. Dare I say that everyone that works here, seems to think that things are ok for now. Will it change? Probably... Show me and airline job anywhere that is safe and secure... (Is that still being in denial????)

Don't want to come here because of the 767.........just keeps adding to your credibility.

meguro
6th Sep 2009, 02:49
Will anyone take a $1,000.00 bet that I will still be here I five years. I would love to take a grand off one the bed wetting sooks that are all doom and gloom.

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 03:54
No. The definition of "doom and gloom" are people who don't work here and have absolutely no interest in AJX posting old articles and their own uninformed commentary trying to scare people away from coming to work here while continuing to ignore any good news and dismissing anyone who offers any opinion that could be construed as positive as being in denial.

Denial???? Please I ask you again to find a post where I have stated "it can't or won't happen to us."

Really, why are you so hard core about AJX failing?

The Yank
6th Sep 2009, 07:31
Crj... I think it might be a case of sour grapes!! :ok:

Seems to me D wind might have been in the AJX/AJV NO pile. Could be wrong... but a month ago you were looking for info about the interview/company :ouch:

I have been interviewed by a few companies over the years, some jobs that I have gotten, and others that I have not. Difference is I don't go around bad mouthing the ones that said no to me.

Just because it happened in JAL...:=

meguro
6th Sep 2009, 08:03
So are you up for the grand or not?:cool:

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 08:24
You are free to post your opinions and I am free to offer my rebuttal. You too also need to accept the fact that people may have opinions other than your own and just leave it at that. And to top it off with a threat does not do much to strengthen your position.

People do need to make informed decisions before they come here. It is a contract job which by definition is temporary. Does the economy suck in Japan now? Yes. But, they did show a growth for the last quarter and most signs point to a gradual improvement. ANA continues to seem committed to growth opportunities at NRT and HND and continue to plan for AJX to be part of them. Will it change? I will continue to say what I have been saying.... No one really knows.

For me and a lot of other guys here, this is an outstanding job. Would I come here again if it all ended tomorrow. You bet. The reason I come on here to point out the positive news that tends to be left out is because I would hate for someone to pass up on a great opportunity because of some very negative spin posted on here without the other side of the story.

Please remove your shoes before stepping all over me.

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 09:42
Indeed I did as it seemed to apply as much to you as it did to me.

The Yank
6th Sep 2009, 09:56
D wind,

I find it hard to see what your continued motivation about this topic is?? I also find it strange that you have now removed your posts asking questions about the AJX/AJV policy about upgrading from the RHS and other questions/posts that I am sure you could have asked your friends in the company instead of asking the questions on a public forum. (But those posts are gone now... guess it did not support your argument)

I do not work for either company, but I would like to. I have been a contractor before with 2 other Airlines and am fully aware of the consequences of joining as a contractor. However, I have also been an employee as well, but at the end of the day when a downturn came it did not save our jobs just because we happened to be employees and not contractors.

If you have not applied, and turned down, or currently work for ANA or companies within the group, what is your current interest in it? From other posts that you have made I can only presume you have been turned down by AJX/AJV or burned by JAL ‘cause you seem to be carrying a big chip on your shoulder especially when it comes to contractors and expats both in Japan and other Countries.

Thanks again for telling us about how horrible the worlds economy is and how another company is doing what it can to cut costs. The rest of us never open a newspaper, or keep up with current events in our own industry. Please keep us up to date, but I am just curious as to your agenda. And it seems like I’m not the only one.

Good luck to you dude! With all that negativity you are going to need it.

The Yank
6th Sep 2009, 11:11
D. Wind
I have read your post, and found them to be very negative. I never said that you were attacking just that you must have either an ax to grind or an agenda. You have posted here and on other parts of this forum and it seems to me that when it no longer supports your current aim you delete it.

So I am questioning your motives. Posting to disseminate information is one thing. Posting for your your own gains and agenda is another (what ever they might be).

Please don't get me wrong. I really do not want to contribute to slagging match, we all have our own opinions. But your motive just seems to be a bit suspect.

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 11:46
4PW's,
I wish you success in the process.

HandoverRichard
6th Sep 2009, 11:58
The great thing about this thread is that it is one of only two or three company-specific threads where the employees unanimously defend their company. I think that says a lot. I follow this thread because (of course) I have my application in and it is a very pleasant thread to follow, where everyone is just trying to get on with what pprune is intended for (but rarely is) ie a source of sharing knowledge, tainted only by the unwelcomed, annoying, depraved ramblings that spit from the poisoned minds of two very embittered individuals. We all know there are many, many miserable pilots out there, and probably most pilots are less happy than those under AJV/AJX, and it seems two of them who are especially miserable and jealous are:

Storpikk and Devine Wind:

(with your clever use of :ugh: and := ) this is not the forum for your feeble grieveances. Don't you see you are getting nowhere with any of us here? No one here cares about you or your problems.

To crj705, poundernow, serenity etc: why stoop into these idiots' gutter? You have no need to defend yourselves to these fools. Why waste your time? It's like yelling at a goldfish. Whatever their problem is; whether they are justifying failing an ANA interview or have serious problems in their personal lives (or, probably, both), leave them be. Ignore the fools and they will go away and scream at a wall.

To the 'pitiful pair' who say they "mean no one harm" and then use terms like "hammer may hit your ass" and even threaten: "You step on me, and I will step all over you...That is a Promise": I'll keep this clean as it is a professional forum, but I think we all know the strong language I am really implying when I tell you to "go away", and it hurts you, because you know that everyone else reading this thread is nodding their heads and laughing at you now.

So you're not going to take the $1000 challenge so we can all see you put your money where your toxic little yelping mouths are?

You're not welcome here. Now be gone. No one's interested.

Handover.

Fratemate
6th Sep 2009, 13:43
I have several friends working for AJX/AJV, and JCAB.

(a)With your spiteful attitude I would question your claim to have any friends.
(b)Who on Earth would claim to have friends in JCAB. Now we know what sort of bovine excrement artist you are. Is it meant to impress us terribly that you claim to know people in JCAB (here's a clue: it doesn't).

You step on me, and I will step all over you...That is a Promise

I would REALLY love to see you attempting that :E

just posting some facts and stating my opinion

Facts you say! As far as I am aware, AJV does not have a 'pool'. They screen people and then offer them a position once they've jumped (successfully) through the hoops. I was speaking to one of our managers this past week and he had just returned from conducting interviews. The latest information I have (but it's ony from the horses mouth and Wind's information is obvioulsy a lot more accurate :rolleyes:) is that we are still planning on running a class of 4 every other month for the forseeable future. Those are facts, not some rumours from alleged friends in the Company.

As for stating your opinion; you have. Now f**k off and annoy some else from your Walter Mitty world.

CRJ/Dominican,

I was asked about this supposed 'pool' in a PM. Do you know if AJX have one?

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 14:24
I think it all depends on what your definition of a pool is.

Most companies that I know of, once you pass everything, you are pretty much guaranteed a job and put into a pool to await your class date. I don't think that is how it works here. Passing everything here does not guarantee that you are selected.

That being said, I don't believe that AJX has a pool in the traditional sense of the word.

Storpikk
6th Sep 2009, 14:53
Unfortunately allot of westerners do not understand Japanese and how this country works. First of all, they really do not want you in their cockpits at all. They want to sit there and speak Japanese and hang out with thir own kind, and definately don`t speak english.
You are hired as a "gaijin" contract employees, only to fill the void....a machine operator that will be sent home once there is no more need. The economy now is in a really bad shape. Japan is running a unemployment in excess of 5%, the highest since after the war.
The fact that they are still interviewing means nothing, remember JAL trained 400 crews, spent millions of dollars to train them, just to have them fired and sent home loosing their investment.

Applying western common sense is meaningless here in Japan, because the old Japanese dudes, smoking sigarettes.....wearing those sweaty brown and grey suits, operate on a whole different level of common sense. They will snip your b.lls of in a heartbeat., light up a sigarette and feel no shame.

I suggest go down to your regular gaijn "waterholes" in Shinagawa, you know the safe zone...TGI or Outback where you can feel you are still in the states. And put your tinfoil hats on and hope for the best.

:}:}:}:}:}:} Cheers!....over some Bud Light.

crj705
6th Sep 2009, 15:50
And here we have it again. We just are not smart enough to get it.

There is no doubt that the Japanese run their companies differently that in the west. We all understand that. But, do you really think that western managers would hesitate to let pilots go (or snip our balls off) should the need arise? How many pilots have been let go in the US compared to those in Japan? In that sense, we are all just machine operators that are filling a void until we are no longer needed. I don't see much difference there between Western and Japanese managers.

What this all boils down to is job security. You come here and you are signed to a 5 year contract. That contract may or may not be renewed. Let's look at my job prospects for the next 5 years if I were to leave here and go to the US. Well, to start off with, no one is hiring. Even if they were, i will be stuck in the right seat at crap wages God knows how long.

Compare that with AJX / AJV who are still hiring. Not only are they hiring, they are also upgrading. Where else in the world can you go and have a shot at the left seat of a wide body aircraft in 3 years time, even in good times? Not only that, FO pay here is probably the same, if not more than what most Captains make in the US. If for some reason my contract is cancelled early, I am entitled to 12 months of pay. (PARC....I think CREW is different) That is a pretty good cushion.

As far as us being treated poorly.... I don't know how it was at JAL, but here at ANA, I have been treated better that I could have ever dreamed of in the US. I know they don't want us here. I knew that coming, and I accepted it. But it does not show in the way we are treated.

Some examples: In training, they were nice enough to ask us if it would make the training experience easier if we were moved out of the hotel into furnished apartments. Most of us said yes, and shortly thereafter, we were all moved into very very nice furnished apartments in Shinagawa.

Another example. I have been given 2 pay raises since I have been here. None of which have been included in an amended contract, which means they could be taken away at any moment. With the times being so bad, have they taken them away? Nope.

Another. The scheduler here bends over backwards to accommodate special requests. I have gotten every day off that I have every asked for and made my commute home the same day i finish work every time. I have also had things come up at the last minute that required me to leave and go home. The company gave me not one ounce of grief and only told me to let them know when I was ready to come back.

Does this place have things that can be improved on? Sure. What company doesn't?

Given ANA's future growth plans, their number of retirements compared to their annual intake of local pilots, and given that the economy in Japan is turning around, in my opinion, if you were to come to AJX or AJV, your job security is as good if not better than what you would have at any company in the US. (and i assume probably most other parts of the world too). In addition, you will be treated better here than any company in the US treats their employees. I will state again however, everything is subject to change. That is the same for a Japanese airline or a Western one.

Some of us have gone to great lengths to try to learn about the Japanese while we are here. As I have said before, we are not a bunch of uneducated idiots living in oblivion.

gtseraf
7th Sep 2009, 04:04
Hi Guys.

As far as the pool goes, we have a (swimming) pool but due the fact that summer officially ended on 31 August, it is now closed.;)

Maybe that's what he heard and "misundestood" the situation.

Handover, you took the messgae out of my mouth but expressed it WAAAAY better than I ever could have.:D:D:D

For info, AJX office management last week confirmed that there were plans still for 4 intakes until March next year. After that, the intention is to continue intakes but the decision still has to be approved.

Now, let me go and bury my head back in the sand!!!

Fratemate
7th Sep 2009, 05:44
How dare you come on this forum preaching optimistic news and, what's more, how rude of you to have news that (a)comes from the Company directly (b)agrees with the offices of AJV and (most importantly) (c)goes against the all-knowlegeable Wind, his 'friend', Storpikk and all his good mates in JCAB.

You're obvioulsy deluded, so, like me, do not continue to enjoy the situation in which you find yourself because you're wrong :rolleyes:

As for the non-knobbers on this Forum; come on in, the water's lovely :ok:

Edited to add. PS: Have you actually seen anyone using the outside pool this year. I haven't :confused:

The Yank
7th Sep 2009, 06:39
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
:ok:

Fratemate
7th Sep 2009, 07:41
Oh, look, he knows the name of one of the NRT pubs, therefore he must be in the 'know' about all things Japanese.

Yeah, you probably would remember your first beer. After all, nobody would be able to forget the awful taste of the ice cold, watered down gnat's urine you Septics, laughingly, call beer.

If you're up for a drinking challenge then I'll gladly bring along my English beer mate and we'll go for it. The loser buys...............and we know who the loser is around here!

A yank writing about drinking. Now I've seen it all :rolleyes:

meguro
7th Sep 2009, 09:04
Here, here to handoverRichards response!

It really is nicely done, I suspect that people interested in joining ANA and reading the forum have now got a balanced view and will see through the bizarre rantings of 'the two'

I see the money and the mouth are not going to meet, how about I double it???? $2,000.00:cool:

The Dominican
7th Sep 2009, 13:18
I have not laughed so hard in a long time

2 things are desperately needed, therapy and spell checker. I thought you needed at least a high school diploma to be a pilot?

"Sigarrete" God that was funny

gtseraf
8th Sep 2009, 01:23
Go away!!!!!:mad:

Fratemate
8th Sep 2009, 01:59
That is exactly what I expected from you....badmouthing the
USA.

I'm not bad mouthing the USA. What I am badmouthing, is your crap beer (and every knowlegeable septic, who has experienced proper beer, will agree with me on that) and numb nuts like you, who just happen to be a product of the USA. The rest of the world (yes, it does exist) is eternally grateful that not every American is such an over-opinionated arse, such as yourself.

You guys down under have a lot of catching up to do

How is it possible to 'catch up' to mediocrity and bad beer, when you're already light years ahead?

MEGURO

OK, now I am really convinced they accidentally swapped your MMPI with someone else's test.

Either way, he passed. Unlike you (quelle surprise) :rolleyes:.

I second gtseraf's proposal.

The Dominican
8th Sep 2009, 04:32
I hope you are still hearing the thundering applause from your fans here at AJV/AJX Mr. Handover, let me extend an invitation to have a few drinks with the boys, we promise non of that watered down imitation beer. I just had to post this again, it deserved an encore

bitter, sad, yelping puppies --------------------------------------------------------------------------------The great thing about this thread is that it is one of only two or three company-specific threads where the employees unanimously defend their company. I think that says a lot. I follow this thread because (of course) I have my application in and it is a very pleasant thread to follow, where everyone is just trying to get on with what PPRuNe is intended for (but rarely is) ie a source of sharing knowledge, tainted only by the unwelcomed, annoying, depraved ramblings that spit from the poisoned minds of two very embittered individuals. We all know there are many, many miserable pilots out there, and probably most pilots are less happy than those under AJV/AJX, and it seems two of them who are especially miserable and jealous are:Storpikk and Devine Wind:(with your clever use of and ) this is not the forum for your feeble grieveances. Don't you see you are getting nowhere with any of us here? No one here cares about you or your problems.To crj705, poundernow, serenity etc: why stoop into these idiots' gutter? You have no need to defend yourselves to these fools. Why waste your time? It's like yelling at a goldfish. Whatever their problem is; whether they are justifying failing an ANA interview or have serious problems in their personal lives (or, probably, both), leave them be. Ignore the fools and they will go away and scream at a wall.To the 'pitiful pair' who say they "mean no one harm" and then use terms like "hammer may hit your ass" and even threaten: "You step on me, and I will step all over you...That is a Promise": I'll keep this clean as it is a professional forum, but I think we all know the strong language I am really implying when I tell you to "go away", and it hurts you, because you know that everyone else reading this thread is nodding their heads and laughing at you now.So you're not going to take the $1000 challenge so we can all see you put your money where your toxic little yelping mouths are?You're not welcome here. Now be gone. No one's interested.Handover.

HandoverRichard
8th Sep 2009, 18:57
You're all very welcome. In that case I'll PM one of you if I ever get the invitation to Japan for a screening. I'm flattered for the praise. "I'll definately be honnered to enjoy a bear and maybee evin a 'Sigarrete' with you." :}:}:}

Meanwhile my application is still bouncing back and forth between my email and the agency's. It's an infuriating part of the process, but the views expressed here of AJV/AJX by you all is the one thing that keeps my motivation up. A company devoid of whingers!!!!???

Although, from what I have read here, it seems that the company is about to go broke, so perhaps I ought to withdraw my application...

Yeah right.

I drafted a response to Storpikk's lesson to us all on the Japanese, and their use of scissors, but erased it because I didn't want to contribute to turning this rather unusually postive thread into a slug fest. But after reading that post (the 'Sigarrete' one) I did think "aaaaahhh, so perhaps we're starting to get some idea about who this chap is". I'm guessing by his insider's knowledge that he's Japanese (normally exceptionally pleasant people, and I'm sure most of us agree, surely the most polite and honourable race) and screwed up his interview (I can't guess why, but "well done" the interviewers on that one) for 'his' job and since then has seen many foreigners (all of whom are apparently Americans who drink at Ozzie bars, and by the way is the tin foil hat part of the uniform or do you all just wear it out everytime you go for a beer) signing the contract that he wanted so badly, and he, my friends, is a racist.

And a disgrace to his own people.

The nasty attitudes of these two reminds me of a guy our mates used to know. We stopped wondering why he was so foul after a rather soussed girl-friend of ours went into a bedroom with him at a party to give him a rare-for-him treat, and emerged minutes later in stitches. She didn't know God made them so small. I know it would really bother me too.

Meguro, you could make it a $1 bet; there's no money where that mouth is, but I don't doubt a few other things have been put there over the years, albeit with substantially more force!

Handover

meguro
9th Sep 2009, 03:03
HandoverRichard,

Great post! You're the kind of guy we need on staff, best of luck!

I agree with your conclusion about the national origin of the agitators,. they're a couple of 'Black truckers'. The Japanses guys with modest equipment driving around in Black vans with the rising sun flag screaming through a loud speaker wanting a rematch for WW11.

At the end of the day, the job is ok, I enjoy it, great work colleagues, no ego's or politics, good equipment and dead easy. We're seeing a substantial increase in loads recently, it will take a while to come through on the economic data, but things are looking up. I'm glad 'the two' got weeded out, I can see why.

The bet remains open if they ever get the guts to step up to the plate.

That's all.

ChinaClipper
9th Sep 2009, 06:08
Another way of saying "Where dya get all those TEETH!":}

snotneus
9th Sep 2009, 15:55
I've been enjoying this bun-fight, really!
I got the no thanks e-mail, but sitting out the year to reapply.
But just not the 76, no!!!!!!!!!!!
It takes all types of course, we have quite a few positive contributors on this post, a negative one was inevitable at some stage.
Dominican, Fratemate, crj705 and all +'s don't let these twits get to you, your + posts have helped me and plenty other ppruner's in making up our mind's.

To all the -'s please do go away, others are enjoying this thread.

GS2008
10th Sep 2009, 03:50
OK. So the bunfight rages on, but the general content of the 40+ pages in this thread is generally pretty good.Unfortunately, I'm going to bring it back to topic by asking whether the requirements to have a "Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating on the ATPL" specifically relate to a heavy jet (B737/B757/B767 etc) or simply a corporate jet (HS125/G550 etc)?Similarly, are the experience requirements for Non-Type Rated FOs with "Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours" and "Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours" figures that relate specifically to heavy or corporate jet time?Thanks for answering...The G.

The Dominican
10th Sep 2009, 05:49
You will be allowed to interrupt the b&%ch slapping only this once:}

The requirement is for any jet type on your ATPL and so does the hours, now having said that the content of your question is ""Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours" and "Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours" figures that relate specifically to heavy or corporate jet time?"
Although it is not specific as to what type of jet they do hire individuals with airline experience, there are a few of us that have flown corporate in a previous life but I don't know of any pilot here hired with only corporate jet times.

gseraf,Meguro, Frate, CRJ have you heard of any of the guys coming exclusively from the corporate flying world?:confused:

In my view when they say commercial jet time, they mean transport category (ie. regional jets) and beyond

Jenson Button
10th Sep 2009, 12:47
Dominican, Fratemate,crj et al

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Very appreciated. Initially thought I met all the requirements but alas not.

rgds

Jenson:}:}:}
(And I don't mind drinking ale at 8.9%)

Fratemate
11th Sep 2009, 04:29
GS2008,

Mmm, hard one this, and one that I certainly cannot be sure about.

The Parc website says:

Experience/ Skills:
ICAO Licence + Current Airline 2 man Jet Experience.............

Minimum requirements for interested First Officers will be:

- Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours

- Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours

- Valid ICAO State ATPL

- Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating on the ATPL

Only for captains does it mention anything about size/types of aircraft, so I'm really not sure about FOs but I would be concerned about the "airline 2 man experience" phrase.

As far as I know (and more than willing to be told I'm wrong) there's nobody at AJV who has come from corporate flying. Some certainly have corporate experience but have been to an 'airline' before coming to AJV.

In my mind there's only one way to find out and it's not going to be through the umming and erring of us amateurs. Send in an application to Parc, CReW, whomever and see what happens. 'No' is the worst thing they can say and it's only going to have cost the time and effort of an application.

Good luck, it would be interesting to hear about those whizzy bizjets that go faster and higher than we do :ok:

Jenson Button
11th Sep 2009, 12:00
Aarrgh, for F/Os from a JAA environment who stepped straight into a two crew commercial job we don't have much pic time. Cheers though fratemate.

JetPilot_Mike
15th Sep 2009, 03:03
Anyone been called for the November class yet?

Poita
15th Sep 2009, 09:19
Hello there. I have a sim and interview comming up in November and just have a few quickies about the sim:

1. How do you know you are 2nm abeam the runway for the visual cct?

2. Do you ever get to 250 knots in the profile? It doesn't say it anywhere in the profile but has a power setting for it in the power chart.

3. Do they enter the runway centerline for the visual cct so you can use the noodle in map mode to help (sorry I'm on the airbus and we have no noodles there)?

4. The flaps calls in the C/L says to say "no light" after the flap number. What light do they mean? I asked a mate on the 767 and he wasn't sure either.

5. Is the 767 flown to Cat D speeds and requirements?

6. The engine failure C/L says to disconnect the auto-throttle. Can someone confirm that you then fly the sequence with manual thrust with auto-pilot on until base when it all come off?

7. It says to fly level at the MDA on teh VOR app. Is this how they normally do things on the line?

8. Lastely if anyone has had an interview lately would they kindly post the questions they were asked. Yes I have read the whole forum and noted all the questions that popped up but I would like to know if they ask the same questions consistantly or if they are throwing a few new ones in these days.

Many thanks. Wish me luck.:ok:

B767300BCF
15th Sep 2009, 12:18
Mike,
November class has been full for couple of weeks. Good luck for January. Right now interview to class time frame is anywhere between 3 to 6 months.

Poita,
1. Progress page 2/2, crosstrack error shows your distance from course
2. you never get to faster than 190kts, stay at flaps 1 (200 kts speed limit in airport enviroment)
3. fly the visual as explained in interview package, use timing from abeam point, and you can use the noodle from base to final but do not rely on it
4. Above the flap indicator is 2 annunciator lights: leading edge and trailing edge, they illuminate for flap/slat asymmetry and disagreement
5. I think that it is cat D
6. You are correct, remember to set MCT during climb and reduce thrust on downwind to maintain 190kts/flaps 1.

Make sure you memorize all the power settings that you need during the profile, this is all about how well you learn the sim package. Know all the checklists and calls and you will be fine.

Last couple of classes everybody has had between 6000 and 10,000 total time and about half had a 767 type rating.

The Dominican
15th Sep 2009, 18:12
1. How do you know you are 2nm abeam the runway for the visual cct?

On the CDU there is a key called PROG (progress key) select this function and go to the next page to have PROG2 in view, there you will see your offset position related to your track. The technique is to have your PNF select the ILS to the RWY you are taking off, lets say you will be doing the visual to RWY 35 so you will call for the ILS 35 and then you will have your PNF select the RWY35 (last position on the ILS before the miss approach segment) followed by the inbound course (349 I believe) and execute it. This will be part of your preparation and brief for the visual approach and then you will select PROG page2 so you can see your offset value from the runway indicated in NM's.

2. Do you ever get to 250 knots in the profile? It doesn't say it anywhere in the profile but has a power setting for it in the power chart.

You could if you want too, but why would you? you are not doing yourself any favors by going fast, the best thing is to stay around 200KTS on flaps one as a minimum retraction flap position throughout the entire evaluation so that things go slow and you have more time to do corrections and it is also a little easier to control the SIM at a slower speed. Remember to brief your PNF that you will remain at Flaps 1 before you call for the after take off check list so that the evaluators behind you know that this is your intention and not that you forgot the flaps at 1, very important because after all the show is for them

3. Do they enter the runway centerline for the visual cct so you can use the noodle in map mode to help (sorry I'm on the airbus and we have no noodles there)?

Yes, use the same technique as above

4. The flaps calls in the C/L says to say "no light" after the flap number. What light do they mean? I asked a mate on the 767 and he wasn't sure either.

All EICAS equipped A/C's must have a secondary means of indication for all warning and caution associated with system conditions, there are two lights above the flap position indicator that work in conjunction with the EICAS warning/caution system, one for the leading edge slats and another for the trailing edge flaps. The call Flaps XX No Lights is to acknowledge that the flaps have reached their commanded position and that the system has detected no asymmetry problems

5. Is the 767 flown to Cat D speeds and requirements?

:confused: Yes

6. The engine failure C/L says to disconnect the auto-throttle. Can someone confirm that you then fly the sequence with manual thrust with auto-pilot on until base when it all come off?

Yes

7. It says to fly level at the MDA on teh VOR app. Is this how they normally do things on the line?

We do very little VOR approaches on the line but this used to be their procedure, recently they changed it to follow a constant descend profile to the MDA. Both techniques would be acceptable as long as you don't venture bellow the MDA

Good luck Poita, post your experience for others please:ok:

gomets
15th Sep 2009, 21:36
I'm brand new to pprune so I've posted this on another thread not displayed yet..

What are the hiring demands right now... Are they running classes every month etc..

My app. is being reviewed (had a problem getting my flight times straight)...Does their website keep pretty good updates as far as status of your apps? How long is it taking from application, to acceptance, to interview? (I know it's a crap shoot, but any idea would help my soon to be furloughed butt).

My times are 6100TT, 5000jet, 425 JetPIC, mostly regional time now at a large US fractional..I'm applying for FO pax side

Thanks

PS... I just read on another forum about having a lengthy/detailed autobiography...When I did mine I wasn't thinking along those lines.. Instead I wrote a brief history of my flying and what I do in my spare time.. Will this seriously hurt my chances?

The Dominican
16th Sep 2009, 00:18
PS... I just read on another forum about having a lengthy/detailed autobiography...When I did mine I wasn't thinking along those lines.. Instead I wrote a brief history of my flying and what I do in my spare time.. Will this seriously hurt my chances?

You can go back and resubmit a more detailed Bio! the general consensus is that they pay quite a bit of attention to this

Good luck:ok:

huskerdo
16th Sep 2009, 02:57
I thought the board was meeting at the end of September to determine the November class. How did you find out the information on the November class?

B767300BCF
16th Sep 2009, 20:28
Usually you are notified about 7 to 8 weeks prior to the start of the class. Gives you time to get the Trainee Visa and the contract agency does your background check. Also allows you to have some time to review the contract and do other other paperwork. I know somebody in November class and sorry, it is full.

Gomets, usually hiring is 4 AJV & 4 AJX every other month. That is 8 total, AJX is FO's only and AJV is FO's and Captains(any combination, not 2+2). So there are very few slots, even if you passed the medical and the interview you might get a call later that you are not going to be selected. Seems to me that they purge lowest scores from the hiring pool quarterly. (happened to my friend, 4 months after interview). Be prepared that it can take easily 6 to 8 months from a date your application is in to your class date.
Make sure your logbook is up to date to the minute, it will be checked very carefully multiple times.

gomets
17th Sep 2009, 02:26
thanks for the heads up...I know the chances are slim to none, but might as well be prepared...

Can you apply to both the cargo and pax side at the same time? I'm assuming you can..can I use the same resume, cover letter etc..?

Are they like the US majors with 10,000 resumes on file?

Fratemate
18th Sep 2009, 00:58
Can you apply to both the cargo and pax side at the same time? I'm assuming you can..can I use the same resume, cover letter etc..?

No. On the application form you are asked if you're applying for AJX OR AJV.

Are they like the US majors with 10,000 resumes on file?

Nobody will know the whole answer to this question as applications go through agencies, not direct to the Company. With Parc, CReW and IAC all involved, who knows how many people are applying. More to the point, though, why does it matter? If you are qualified and want the job, then apply. As I've said before, the worst thing they can say is 'no' and you have no influence whatsoever on who else is applying, so don't waste brain cells worrying about it.

LarryDCableGuy
18th Sep 2009, 03:13
AJV/AJX recruiters told us that they had 6,000 + applications and they only hired 12 last Jan.

swamp monkey
18th Sep 2009, 04:53
Can anyone shed some light on this:
If offered a screening and you pull out, will they "look" at you again later in life?
Is it a one chance application process?

Poita
18th Sep 2009, 07:57
Hey guys. I've been going through the sim profile a few times on my 767 at home. It doesnt seem as bad as I first thought. I noticed a lot of people recommending to learn the power and attitudes. From what I can tell there are only a couple that are really crutial as autothrust is on most of the time except for the vis cct, established inbound on the VOR and for the SE OPS. But then you have the FD's up even more giving you pitch commands. I certainly agree that its good to know power and attitude but I dont see the point in wasting my precious brain space on the ones in the table that I will not need. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

crj705
18th Sep 2009, 09:06
I would say that you are probably correct in that you don't need to memorize the whole table. But there are some that are absolutely essential. Your weight will always be around 260,000lbs so those numbers are a good place to start. Also, pay close attention to the VFR pattern and single engine ILS numbers. Especially on the VFR pattern as things happen very fast.

Fratemate
18th Sep 2009, 09:17
Here's the numbers I use for the 260 000lbs, at which you'll be flying:

2 Eng:

Gear up, flap5, level flight: 60%
Gear down, flap 20, level flight: 65%
Gear down, flap 30 on the ILS/Vis final: 60%
Gear down, flap 30: 72% (75% if turning)

Since you won't be circling i.e. flying level with flap 30, you need to remember 60% & 65%.

1 Eng:

Gear up, flap 5, level flight: 80% (actually it's about 78% but set 80% and adjust)

Suggested technique for single eng ILS: On LOC, gear up, flap 5, 80%. Glideslope alive: gear down, flap 20 (watch the balloon when the flaps come down), set 70% and bug +5. The speed will drift slowly back and will pretty well coincide with G/S capture and bug+5. Slowly back to 65%, very little trim change due to lack of thrust lever movement and Robert will be your uncle. DON'T get slow. Err, if anything, very slightly fast (only talking 1 or 2 knots) as there is a lot of power required if you do get slow and that will destabilise your approach.

So, as you so correctly state, there are not really too many numbers you need. 2 eng: 60 & 65%. 1 eng: 80, 75 & 65%.

The Dominican
18th Sep 2009, 13:50
Can anyone shed some light on this:
If offered a screening and you pull out, will they "look" at you again later in life?
Is it a one chance application process?

We don't really know the answer to your question swamp monkey since they don't share their hiring decision making process with anyone and this includes the contract companies but I suspect that this is not viewed favorably since they want individuals that are committed to honor their contracts and indecision is not a good indicator.:ugh:

And this kinds of numbers are not really helping
AJV/AJX recruiters told us that they had 6,000 + applications and they only hired 12 last Jan

But I'm one that believes that there is always a chance, as small as it might be so if this is your case most certainly apply and see what happens:ok:

To expand on what Frate said, you must apply to only one company at a time but during the interview you can express your interest on serving in any of the two and this is viewed favorably since you are showing flexibility. My original application was for AJV and the offer came for AJX

Good luck

89Pistons
19th Sep 2009, 00:17
Any idea how many folks are in the pool and how long most of them have been there? Just curious. Do most folks wait in a pool before being hired at ANA? Thanks and good luck everyone.

luahh
19th Sep 2009, 04:34
G'day gents,

Have you guys heard about Jal's latest financial situation? In order to stay in play they will have to cut 6,800 jobs or 14% of their workforce and reduce international prencese. I believe the planned cut will put for first time J pilots on the street. We, expat pilots, are definitively a better option for airlines not only cause we get paid less but because they don't have to deal with a union, only with a leasing company. However if Jal get rid of some pilots or if eventualy goes out of business, I don' t think we will see too many round eyes flying in Japan. What do you think?

89Pistons
19th Sep 2009, 04:50
Any idea on if how many people are in the pool and what the average stay in the pool is? Thanks in advance.

crj705
19th Sep 2009, 05:28
I could be mistaken, but the only pilot reductions that I have herd mentioned at JAL was putting an end to the over 60 guys continuing to fly. I have not herd of any of their regular pilot ranks being reduced. Please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the other non pilot reductions will come from retirements that will not be replaced with new workers. Again, from what I have read.

JAL will not go out of business. Who is there to pick up the slack? ANA is probably about 1/2 to 1/3 of the size of JAL and could never come close to picking up the slack. Whether it is the government or a foreign investor, someone will dump their money into JAL to save them.

Regarding the pool. I don't think anyone knows the numbers. Entry into the "pool" is not a guarantee of a job offer in the future. From time to time, the "pool" is drained of the lower scoring individuals.

atpcliff
22nd Sep 2009, 19:23
Hi!

I thought that JAL now had 0 western pilots. They let go the 747-200? guys that were western.

As far as I understand, JAL has NOTHING to do with the Japan contract jobs.

cliff
NBO

B767300BCF
22nd Sep 2009, 19:36
Off the topic, but I think that J-air (fully owned by JAL????) is still hiring expats to fly the E-170.

huskerdo
23rd Sep 2009, 02:33
Hey if anyone is in training or recently completed training for AJV/AJX could you please pm me. I have a few questions about what to bring to training for the Nov 09 class. For instance dress code, cell phones, things to bring w/to make my stay more comfortable, etc..... Thanks!:confused:

huskerdo
23rd Sep 2009, 03:14
Oh I also wanted to let those of you know a few answers to some of the posts out there. I applied in June, interviewed middle of July and and just got offered the Nov. class. Lots of clarification on my flight times, tons of calls and emails back and forth mostly regarding my logbook and misc. questions. Took a lot of time, but I think it will be well worth it. Good luck to you all out there.

89Pistons
23rd Sep 2009, 05:16
How many classes are there in November? Isn't there a class starting on Nov 16th?

Poita
23rd Sep 2009, 06:12
Just a few quick questions on the sim profile. For the VOR approach it says that the PNF is it set his display to Expanded VOR. I'm assuming they mean the PNF has full rose VOR and the PF can use map mode for his display? In the VOR brief it mentions for the PF to "VOR station to be used shall be memorized in MAN mode, select inbound course and then return to AUTO". Does this just mean select MAN tune in freq and course then reselect AUTO? Just seem a bit odd doing this having not flown boeing before.
Last question. At the end of the VOR brief it says "Execute Visual landing with FD off when runway insight or at VDP". Whats VDP?
Many thanks.

The Yank
23rd Sep 2009, 07:25
Hi Guy's. I have just been through the interview process about a month ago, and for those of you just about to go through the meat grinder, I cannot really add more to what has already been said. It is all very accurate information, and it does not seem like the Japanese have deviated very far from when this thread was started.

My one comment about the whole thing is that there is no guess work with the process. Everything is spelled out for you including how to transfer to the hotel! (this was a first for me... most companies just state the hotel that you will be staying at and the rest is up to you).

The only thing you need to worry about is getting yourself ready for the interview and simulator. But even the sim has been simplified. JUST FLY IT! Make the PNF aware that when you make a mistake you recognize it and are correcting for it... KEEP HIM IN THE LOOP! Know your calls and your profiles and that is it.

DO NOT worry about the set up ei Nav aids/ CDU... all will be completed for you. The biggest thing is if you are unsure of something that was given to you in the brief ask for an explanation at the orientation stage (when they brief for the sim).

Hope this helps with some fears!! :ok:

For Poita,

VDP = Visual decent point.

Rhodes13
23rd Sep 2009, 08:39
Hi guys thanks for the brilliant thread on pprune.. one of the few thats informative and not dragged down by usual pprune standards!

Anyways Im off for an interview on the 7th October just wondering if anyone else will be there?

Looking forward to being there although the study looks daunting!

Fratemate
23rd Sep 2009, 11:14
Just a few quick questions on the sim profile. For the VOR approach it says that the PNF is it set his display to Expanded VOR. I'm assuming they mean the PNF has full rose VOR and the PF can use map mode for his display?

Yeah, you've got it. PF uses MAP. PNF selects expanded VOR (either full compass rose or, more normally, the 90ish degree-type arc with a VOR course selector in the middle (I know what I mean, I just can't describe it very well). Basically this is to allow the PNF to check you're not going astray by too many 'dots'. So, long story short: PF uses LNAV and MAP. PNF keeps an eye on things.

In the VOR brief it mentions for the PF to "VOR station to be used shall be memorized in MAN mode, select inbound course and then return to AUTO". Does this just mean select MAN tune in freq and course then reselect AUTO? Just seem a bit odd doing this having not flown boeing before.

Again, you're pretty well there. You've got the VOR MAN/AUTO thing in front of your face. You press it once and MAN is displayed, allowing you to manually tune the VOR and set the approach course (this can be done in AUTO or MAN). You then press it again and it reverts to AUTO, thereby allowing the FMC to select the VORs it wants to use for updating etc. When the PNF goes to Expanded VOR, the VOR that he manually tuned is then used on the display and the DME appears on both RDMIs and VOR display. It is normal to ask the PNF to go to MAN just before you reach 'high station'. This will then point the RDMI needle at that VOR but, more importantly, will give you DME so you can double check that LNAV is not flying you outside the (13nm ????) limit. I know I should know RORS like the back of my hand but I've binned most of it but THINK you have to turn base before 13nm.

At the end of the VOR brief it says "Execute Visual landing with FD off when runway insight or at VDP". Whats VDP?

A visual descent point is often marked on VOR approaches etc. The VDP normally ties in with the last point at which you could be flying along level at MDA (:rolleyes:) and then be able to intercept a normal approach path and be stable, as opposed to a dirty dive at the last second and end up all over the shop. I'm 99.9% certain RORS doesn't have one but don't worry as you'll be visual long before then. SO, if you're flying along at MDA, pick up the PAPIs/visual picture, order FDs off and then just slide down the slope, not forgetting to ask for final flap (30), reduce speed to bug +5 and finish off the landing checklist.

How many classes are there in November?

There will be one class in November. 4 AJV and 4 AJX. They are running classes every other month, so next class will be January.

Poita
4th Oct 2009, 13:19
Just another question about the sim. I have heard the ANA 767's don't have the speed tape on the PFD is this correct? Is there anything else about the sim that is unexpected?

Fratemate
4th Oct 2009, 22:56
G'day mate,

You're correct in what you hear, the 767s do not have a speed tape (yet). There is a fast/slow pointer which basically tells you whether you're faster or slower than the speed you've got dialled up on the MCP/FMC speed. It really is a complete waste of time and I don't know anyone who ever looks at it. You'll have to break that normal scan of yours and start looking away from just one instrument :)

The good news is that they are coming. Not a moment too soon, the flight directors are going to be changed from the ridiculous 'wing' type to the crosshairs. Initially that will be the only change but, once that has been implemented, a second change to the PFD will be the addition of the speed tape and the relocation of the FMAs.

So, back to Vref and lttle plastic 'bugs' for you :}

Poita
5th Oct 2009, 00:56
Cheers Frate. Also with the VOR app I've seen guys on here mention that 14 nm is the limit going outbound (ie you cannot go further than 14nm in the base turn) but the way I read the chart is 14 nm is the minimum before the base turn can be commenced.

Poita.

The Dominican
5th Oct 2009, 01:03
You have to stay within Poita. When are you going for it? we wish you the best of luck :ok:

Poita
5th Oct 2009, 01:06
Some time in November. No date set yet.

The Dominican
7th Oct 2009, 05:32
There is a great tool on this forum that I would like to share with you and it is called "Ignore list" as you sign in to pprune go to your user cp. and go to the very last of the options to your left and you will find the the Ignore list there. Just start to write the user name that you will like to add to your ignore list and the forum is programmed to give you all the users that are spelled similarly and you just click on the user name that you would like to ignore and viola, your pprune experience became more enjoyable since all their posts will appear as follows:

This message is hidden because The Dominican is on your ignore list

A "Happy Bunch" can be a bitter pill to swallow for some, specially if their application to become one of the happy bunch was rejected. Oh well, Ce la vie!:rolleyes:

crj705
7th Oct 2009, 21:42
There sure seems to be a lot of thread deletions lately. Someone must have gotten their feelings hurt.

Poita
14th Oct 2009, 03:04
Hello chaps I hope all is well. Just have a few questions:

1. Whats the relationship between AJV and ANA cargo. I see the cargo planes have "ANA cargo" on the side.

2. I applied for and will be interviewing for AJV but can/will they offer me a AJX slot instead. I would much prefer the cargo ops. Would they get upset if I say I would prefer the cargo operation?

3. For the written test I see a few people have said there are questions on locations of emergency equipment in the cabin. I would have thought that most airlines don't have all the equipment in the same place so it seems like a strange thing to ask in a written exam.

4. The contract agency fees are not taken out of the pilot salary is it? I assume this is sorted out between the ANA and PARC.

5. Have there been anyone leaving AJX or AJV lately?

6. Are there many back of the clock flights for AJV?

7. I have heard its possible to leave on your last day of work if you have a late arvo or evening flight. Are you able to arrive into Japan on your first day of work early in the morn then do a late flight that day?

8. Is AJV still doing the American flying or is that outsourced to a bigger A/C?

Thanks again for the help. This is a great thread:ok:

The Dominican
14th Oct 2009, 03:23
I'll give you my opinion on a couple of your questions and leave the AJV specific questions for one of the boys!

#2) they can and sometimes they do offer a slot to the other company (this was my case) It is ok to express your preference during the interview but I would remain flexible, both are very good operations and I'm sure you will be happy on the AJX side as well if that would be the opportunity given to you (opportunity being the key word)

#4) No, their fee has nothing to do with your contract

#5) We had an F/O from AJX leave recently due to personal issues, something related to a family member illness for what I understand, It was so urgent in fact that he couldn't give the company the 90 days notice required and had to pay a large fine for what I understand, ouch!
We have a captain that left for another contract on the 777 that is coming back to AJX early next year

Fratemate
14th Oct 2009, 05:29
1. Whats the relationship between AJV and ANA cargo. I see the cargo planes have "ANA cargo" on the side.

Excellent question and one I'm sure a well educated member of our fraternity might be able to answer :} All I know is that Japan Post have withdrawn from the contract, so ANA now 'owns' more of the AJV company and, therefore, has more of a say in haow it is run. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being asked about this in the interview but that's proabably because few of the interviewers know the whole picture anyway :uhoh: At the end of the day, the 777s have enough capacity to shift cargo to Europe etc but the ANA (AJX) 767s, used around these parts can't carry enough, so we do it for them. Loads have recently gone up substantially and with the Naha centralised base open for business in just over a week, I think we'll see ANA Cargo doing more business in the Far East. And, just to get you thinking, what about 'Allex' written on the side of the aircraft :)

2. I applied for and will be interviewing for AJV but can/will they offer me a AJX slot instead. I would much prefer the cargo ops. Would they get upset if I say I would prefer the cargo operation?

As Mr Dominican has written, it has happened in the past but it is VERY unlikely to happen to you, as things have settled down a bit since the heady days of TD's course :ok: The companies are pretty well separate entities, though we enjoy each other's company in the pub. AJV are still very actively recruiting whereas, as I understand it, AJX have slowed a bit and are no longer after direct entry captains etc. You'll be interviewed by AJV people for an AJV job. I would consider why you would prefer cargo to pax but, put it this way, you'd have to drag me kicking and screeming back to passenger flying.

3. For the written test I see a few people have said there are questions on locations of emergency equipment in the cabin. I would have thought that most airlines don't have all the equipment in the same place so it seems like a strange thing to ask in a written exam.

I didn't do a written test but I'd be quite certain that, like a lot of airlines, it's a 'filler' i.e. something extra they want you to do but something that's not really looked at too hard. It's all about your knowledge of your current operatations. They don't have a list of where every operator keeps their emergency equipment but they do expect you to know where it's kept. I know they can't check up but whoever thought they would :confused: As I said, it's a time filler and something to get your grey matter thinking about.

4. The contract agency fees are not taken out of the pilot salary is it? I assume this is sorted out between the ANA and PARC.

You don't get involved in any of that and will never know how much Parc get paid. The money they say in the contract appears in your pay slip and, added to that are things like per diem, accomm allowance etc (after training). It's all very simple and no need to get hung up on agency fees. I've been delighted with Parc and have only good things to say about the people that look after the salary side of things (and other facets of the contract, obviously).

5. Have there been anyone leaving AJX or AJV lately?

Nobody from AJV that I know of.

6. Are there many back of the clock flights for AJV?

As I write, no, there's not too many. However, stand by for that to change in 10 days :eek: That's when the Naha base is going to kick into action and the work patterns will change a fair bit. Basically, Naha will act as a cargo hub and we'll be 'spoking' out to our normal destinations more from there, rather than NRT or KIX. This will mean a lot more night flying but, rather nicely, a lot more stops (day) at destinations and some very pleasant ones at that. Overall, I think we'll be at NRT/KIX a lot less and there will be more night flying but we'll be able to enjoy the delights of BKK, HKG etc at more reasonable times :ok:

7. I have heard its possible to leave on your last day of work if you have a late arvo or evening flight. Are you able to arrive into Japan on your first day of work early in the morn then do a late flight that day?

It is normal to leave on the last day of work and, for the chosen ones, this does not present a problem as the Oz flights leave in the evening :} The European flights leave late morning/lunchtime, so these guys sometimes get screwed by not being back in time to get the flights. The scheduler is normally pretty good at getting you back early on the last day of work and, looking at the new Naha schedules, this will become easier as the majority of flights get into NRT/HND in the morning. As for coming back to work; you must ensure that you are at report on time and suitably rested for your duty (good egg-sucking lesson there :)). Again, I believe the new schedules will better allow you to come in on the day of work because they are going to have late reports. So, arrive early in the morning from Oz, sleep during the day in the NRT hotel and then late report is acceptable. It may not be absolutely by the letter of the contract but it is done and everybody respects the need to ensure they don't screw it up for everybody else by not turning up on time or not in a fit state.

8. Is AJV still doing the American flying or is that outsourced to a bigger A/C?

Not bigger aircraft but, as I understand it, UPS in some tie up deal that's far too involved for mortals such as me. We're stopping (for now) the ANC/ORD flying but we are starting HNL. This, at the moment, will be a very short stop and will be only one per week but who knows what it will develop into and if we'll get the other stuff back? This way, AJV keeps all its ETOPS clearances and we'll stay current at speaking 'Merican :)

Bahamapilot
14th Oct 2009, 15:10
I have been folowing the thread since August09, and this truly does seem like a good contract job...Unfortunately I am already 41 yrs of age and the biggest A/C I have flown is a King Air 200 right seat, so I don't think
I have a shot at getting in...Please keep the thread going so I can live my dream through you guys....

Poita
20th Oct 2009, 23:48
Hey folks anyone going up for an interview in November? I'll be there from the 10th to the 14th.

Mmmayday38
21st Oct 2009, 13:37
Poita,

I've got the same dates (for AJV); so I'll see you there.

Poita
23rd Oct 2009, 11:18
Hey guys I need a few tips for the interview. I'm interviewing for the AJV and this is my preference over AJX because I have always loved the lifestyle and freedom of flying freight and it seems to be less hassle than pax sometimes too. Also the extra day off means more time at home as well and I don't mind night flying either. I'm just stuck putting this into a good solid answer if they happen to ask why I applied for AJV not AJX. Or do I just tell them like I did above?

Also it seems the AJV route structure is a little more extensive which is also very inviting. Can someone please confirm that these are the current routes for AJX: Tokyo, Osaka, Hawaii, Guam, Dalian, Tianjin, Qingdao, Xiamen & Hong Kong.

Thanks.

serenitynow
23rd Oct 2009, 14:02
Poita,

I intereviewed a couple weeks ago and they did ask me why I was choosing AJV over AJX. I responded that I chose AJV because I felt there would be more of an opportunity to upgrade (I was applying for F/O), and that even though it is not gauranteed, that the AJV guys seemed to be getting an extra day off. It seemed to me what they really wanted to know is if I was willing to take AJX also.

It might be a mute point since I was told that there is a possibility that AJV and AJX could be combined as far as flight operations is concerned. There are a lot of changes going on at AJV with the Naha hub. The interview was exactly as has been talked about on previous threads, and with the information given by the recruiter. You can PM me if you need any more detailed information.

Serenitynow

89Pistons
23rd Oct 2009, 14:35
Poita, I think you would be best served if you told them you picked AJV on your app because you had to pick one. I would tell them that I my preference is the one that would get me into class the soonest. In the answer you gave, you make a lot of assumptions.

You said that you love the lifestyle and freedom of flying freight. That one statement alone would bring on more questions. What do you mean by freedom? You would have to explain exactly why you think cargo has more freedom. Freedom to do what? What if they merged the operations and you flew pax and cargo? Would you not be happy? Those are the types of follow up questions that you would be inviting.

Also, there is no extra day off at AJV from what I have heard. The days off are the same in both contracts now.
The statement about night flying is one that I wouldn't make unless asked. You will be flying at night no matter which way you go. AJX isn't all day ops. They do a lot of night flying.
Lastly, the route structure can change so I wouldn't put any emphasis on that either.

That's just my opinion and it may not be the best so take it for what it is. Think about it and good luck on your interview.

The Dominican
23rd Oct 2009, 16:43
Hello Poita

It is important to stress that outside of the interview profiles and operational procedures, what we express here is only our opinion and neither of us (including the contract companies, they gather a lot of information through the line pilots and the interviewees,) has an insiders track into planning at ANA and it's affiliates but I believe that Piston 89 advice is very good because this company (ANA and affiliates) is going trough a transitional period that has too many variables to be able to predict. At what pace will the Japanese economy recover? What will their market share look like with Jal's restructuring? What will the slot availability at both Haneda and Narita look like when the construction is finished? Are we merging or not? One very big variable is the 787 not only at AJX route structure but also at AJV because the 787 program will also influence if AJV will operate a bigger freighter or not. How much day or night flying you will do at any company? the company themselves don't really know the answers to these questions, little alone any of us. All these variables will affect how these companies will look like up to a year from now that you will be expected to join the line, I would keep your answers non specific such as "I've always been interested on the experience of flying freight but I would really like to join this organization in any capacity the company considers that I would be more useful" and I would try to stay away of giving answers about specific current route structures and I would most definitely won't tell them you don't want to deal with the hassle of flying passengers since we don't really have any interaction with the passengers at all at AJX. About the faster upgrade at AJV, I'm curious how you came up to that conclusion and the interviewers will be curious as well because both companies are hiring at the same pace and although AJX is currently not hiring DEC's the word around the clubhouse is the they will start next year. Remember that we don't know how this companies will look like at the other end of the economical recession.

Good luck on the interview brother

serenitynow
23rd Oct 2009, 19:50
Dominican,

I came up with the answer of possibly upgrading quicker on AJV just on the basis that AJV is hiring DEC's right now, and that they have current aircraft orders. Honestly, the answer was to show them that I had a desire to be a Captain and a desire to be at their company for a long time. I would be perfectly happy at both operations.

Serenitynow

Fratemate
23rd Oct 2009, 22:56
Also, there is no extra day off at AJV from what I have heard. The days off are the same in both contracts now.

89Pistons,

AJV does get an extra day off. AJX guys get 10, AJV get 10 + international blank day. It's just a matter of words but the result is AJX get 10, AJV get 11.

89Pistons
23rd Oct 2009, 23:09
89Pistons,

AJV does get an extra day off. AJX guys get 10, AJV get 10 + international blank day. It's just a matter of words but the result is AJX get 10, AJV get 11.

Thanks Fratemate. I'm unfamiliar with the International blank day. Is that added on to the consecutive days or mixed in between trips?

The Dominican
24th Oct 2009, 01:39
The additional day off for AJX has already been discussed by the company but in true fashion, things just have a way of taking a couple of months to be implemented.:ugh:

I came up with the answer of possibly upgrading quicker on AJV just on the basis that AJV is hiring DEC's right now, and that they have current aircraft orders

I see, in reality both companies have an active upgrade program and they are still receiving pax 76's also. I'm sure you will enjoy any of them as well, my compadres at the AJV side are a great group of guys:ok:

Poita
24th Oct 2009, 03:56
Thanks for the input folks. It's good to get other peoples perspective on some of these ones and I am going to change how I answer that question.

Fratemate
24th Oct 2009, 05:07
I'm unfamiliar with the International blank day. Is that added on to the consecutive days or mixed in between trips?

It's added to the consecutive days off so, assuming you're not taking any vacation days, in a month you'll get Off1 x 10 + BD2 x 1 on your roster, giving you 11 days off in a row. This is what happens in reality and does not necessarily reflect the exact wording of the contract. The threat of having the 'extra' day removed has been discussed previously in this thread but we know the Japanese of AJV are good people and wouldn't try to incite the trouble that would bring.

Poita, don't forget the freighter enjoys en-suite facilities, no passengers to have to deal with, no locked doors and security camera, no looking over your shoulder to see if you've upset any of the crew, food/drinks when you want them and not when the cabin crew have finished the service and no complaints from the payload when you land in a 'positive' way :). Okay, so none of this is admissable in the interview butI wish I'd discovered this job sooner :ok:

oldhasbeen
27th Oct 2009, 01:32
Jesus H, Frate. That even makes me wanna come over to the darkside:eek:

Poita
27th Oct 2009, 01:59
Heya folks. Just a question for the AJX'ers. Is it true that there is no jump seat policy in Japan even for paxing tech crew for a duty? Do they have the cockpit door closed and bolted before the first pax boards until the last pax disembarks?

ishi59
27th Oct 2009, 05:44
If it could be welded shut, it would.

he drivers are allowed out to answer nature's calls. But not too often.;)

And the delightful attendants do serve a meal, once the fare paying pax have been served, this happens around 2.5 to 3 hours into the flight.

jungleguy
29th Oct 2009, 19:27
no complaints from the payload when you land in a 'positive' way
:ok::ok::}:} You r absof..ing right!!

The Dominican
30th Oct 2009, 10:56
AJX and AJV will merge next year so I guess the "which company" debate has been settled, see you boys in Okinawa.:ok:

Is there an oven simulator at the training center?:bored:

Is it true that there is no jump seat policy in Japan even for paxing tech crew for a duty?

No jumpseat of any kind in Japan Poita:ugh:

Repeat
30th Oct 2009, 17:49
Hi Guys,

I have recently been through the interview process for DEC at AJV with a :ok:and am just waiting for medical results. For all those who are headed down this road, a thorough read of this thread and the others out there is a good idea; everything that you need to know is there. Very relaxed process, very nice people, incredible experience. I am going through Parc and they definitely give you enough information on the interview process and sim eval. The exam is not difficult, and my technical question: "what is V1"... Make sure you know the sim profile. There seems to be some minor variations in what to do and when, listen carefully during the sim briefing.
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post the wealth of information on AJX/AJV and the whole process. With the exception of a few disenchanted folks, it is nice to see a thread that embodies the intent of this forum! Pilots helping Pilots - what a novel idea :D

Thank you! and I look forward to joining your ranks, sooner than later.

fourgolds
31st Oct 2009, 04:00
Well done Repeat , lets trust your medical seals the deal.

I see you are in Edmonton , are you planning a commute to Canada then.
I am considering the same , but the commute seems difficult( not many direct flights to Canada) Just curious in case you have seen something I have not.

Tks.
Cheers 4G

Repeat
31st Oct 2009, 18:37
4G,

I am planning the commute from Calgary. The flight choices are somewhat limited on ANA, but they worked very well for me. I went through SFO for my interview, the connections in LAX work quite good as well. I hope to commute on Air Canada through Vancouver if that works, it saves about 3 hours on the total transit time. Parc has said that they prefer you to use ANA if you can, but are open and flexible to other options once you are on the line.
I was lucky enough to be upgraded to business on the flight home, and that made all the difference in the world. Arrived home rested, relaxed and ready to go. The service on ANA is second to none!

I have also read that ANA is considering flights to Canada: YVR, YYZ???

Either way, I am fully commited when (and if) the call comes with a ground school date!

Have you been through the process already?

Good luck on the decision 4G!

fourgolds
1st Nov 2009, 04:02
Hi Repeat
Thanks for the info . As of yet I am still sitting on the fence. Not happy in the sandpit and exploring options. Just the family/commuting thing I need to get my head around. I do have friends at ANA/AJX/AJV who are very happy. Most commute to OZ though.

Well good luck with the final result. Okinawa awaits;)

Martin VanNostrum
1st Nov 2009, 06:33
Someone asked about AJV destinations:

Japan: Narita, Haneda (both Tokyo), Kansai (Osaka), Naha (Okinawa)

Asia: Taipei, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Incheon (Seoul)

USA: Honolulu

China: Tianjin, Dalian, Qingdao, Shanghai (Pudong), Xiamen

A larger 'wet-lease' aircraft has taken over the Anchorage and Chicago runs.

A notice has come out from ANA that both AJV and AJX will merge by September 2010. Been with AJV since it started and AJX before that. Both operations very enjoyable. A roster with a mix of passenger and freight flying, and destinations, would be fine. Which is exactly how our rosters were prior to the split. Join either side, you won't be disappointed.

The Dominican
2nd Nov 2009, 23:19
Press Release (http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/press/2009/091030-3.html)

Some details about the restructuring plan.

The Yank
5th Nov 2009, 12:43
Hi Guy's,

Heard a rumour that once the merger is complete everyone will be on 11 days off a month. Any truth?

On another note, has anyone heard about the January course????

TY

crj705
6th Nov 2009, 02:11
That seems to be the rumor floating around, but we have not been told any details about the merger other than it will happen.

Capt Coco
8th Nov 2009, 01:22
Can anyone confirm that the AJX guys who missed out on the $30 000 contract signing bonus 3 years ago will get it payed out in March 2010 when the merger is complete and they sign a new contract??

crj705
8th Nov 2009, 01:28
I have herd rumors that there is a good possibility , but nothing concrete or official.

Absolutely
8th Nov 2009, 06:30
Hey Croco and CRJ, can I have some of what you guys are smoking?:}

Capt Coco
8th Nov 2009, 13:10
Absolutely, you're just jealous. Why not share the love...you guys got it!!

sonicguy
8th Nov 2009, 15:53
what kind of PIC rating is required for an F/O position?

Cheers

The Dominican
8th Nov 2009, 23:16
what kind of PIC rating is required for an F/O position?

About Crew Resources Worldwide (http://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HACS&cws=2&rid=13)

Absolutely
9th Nov 2009, 03:56
Capt Coco,
Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if you guys got the bonus as well. I just can't see it happening.

fourgolds
9th Nov 2009, 06:48
Congrats 4 PW:ok:

Wish I could answer your question . Not sure , but to my understanding the C1 Visa ( even if current and held , is only valid for the company you had previously operated for ) , so you would need a new one anyway. ( So everyone except the Americans would have this problem). I might be wrong , but look into it. parc surely will know.

Another question I have , ( matybe Parc will know). What if your passport is from a Country that requires a visa to enter Japan . Will ANA assist in giving the necessary visa ( or) will someone have to keep coming into the country on a tourist visa each time they go to work ?

Good luck 4PW,s , let me tell you . this is a good move

Cheerds 4G's

The Dominican
9th Nov 2009, 07:36
Another question I have , ( matybe Parc will know). What if your passport is from a Country that requires a visa to enter Japan . Will ANA assist in giving the necessary visa ( or) will someone have to keep coming into the country on a tourist visa each time they go to work ?

You come in and out of Japan with a crew member's "shore pass" as it's name suggests, it is a document that you fill out when you enter the country and then give back to immigration as you leave.
when you come in and leave as crew it is a fairly easy process but when you transfer from pax to crew and vice a versa the company has to arranged the permit for you.

fourgolds
9th Nov 2009, 08:12
Hi Dominician

Many thanks , but what about my 10 days off. If I am a passenger on say Air Canada inbound from Vancouver. I arrive in Tokyo as a regular pax. Surely if my citizenship requires a visa for Japan ( I am not Canadian) then I would need one in this case. OR ,is there some sort of assistance ( some sort of a crew permit) , that will alllow me to enter Japan in this case.

Many thanks 4G's

atldrvr
9th Nov 2009, 10:55
4PW's

You should not have any problem getting the U.S. visa while in training. You will have plenty of days off and it seemed to be a quick process. Several guys from our class had to do it. They made the appointment for an interview at the U.S. embassy and I think within several days of the interview they had the visa.

The Dominican
9th Nov 2009, 23:22
but what about my 10 days off. If I am a passenger on say Air Canada inbound from Vancouver. I arrive in Tokyo as a regular pax. Surely if my citizenship requires a visa for Japan ( I am not Canadian) then I would need one in this case.

No, this is how it works:

When you come in as a passenger on the inbound flight to start your roster, the company will arrange a shore pass with a permit from Immigration and you are handled by a company representative that waits for you at the arrival gate and takes you through immigration as a dead heading crew. When you do your last flight of your roster, there is a company rep. that greets the flight and gives you the shore pass with another permit that transfers you from operating crew member to passenger and it is handled by immigration again as a dead heading crew, there will be no need for a tourist visa on your commute.

Fratemate
10th Nov 2009, 04:52
Capt Coco,

I think a few things need to be considered here. The first question must surely be, were you in AJX when AJV started up? If you were, then you had the opportunity to go to AJV and collect your signing bonus. You did say we got it but that's not necessarily so. Since the 'split' of the original guys from AJX, nobody else has had a signing bonus e.g. I didn't, so I really cannot see (a)why AJX joiners since AJV started would get the money and (b)why the 'old school' AJXers would get, because they had the chance then and didn't take it. I'm not trying to drive some sort of divide but the 'old school' this does really smack of trying to have your cake and eat it.

I really don't know who is merging with whom, but I just hope they 'upgrade' AJX in terms of days off, rather than 'downgrade' AJV. If this is the case, then getting a signing on bonus as well would be a veritable piss-take. I reckon we should get an even bigger one if we've got to fly pax around :}

Re visas and passports:

The US visas are not employer specific and it can be used to enter and leave the States with AJV/AJX. I checked and have had no problems with mine from a former employer.

Mr Dominican is, as ususal, spot on with what he says about shore passes but that is once you have completed training. BEFORE arriving in Japan you will need to get a Training Visa in your passport. AJV/AJX will send you the relevant paperwork and you will then need to take that along to your nearest Japanese Consulate and get it stuck in your passport. You pay for it and then can claim it back later, once in Japan.

When you start training, you'll be taken to a local office in Kamata (Shinagawa for AJX?????) and there you'll apply for your Alien Registration Card. Once you get this, you'll keep hold of it until you have finished route training. During that time you'll leave and enter Japan on your passport and E/D card (embark/disembark). So, yes. you'll collect lots of stamps during route training. This is relatively new, so Mr D would not have done it this way (I think) as they used to use shore passes during training. Once route training is finished, you hand in your Alien Card and continue as per Mr D's advice.

oldhasbeen
10th Nov 2009, 09:53
This is gonna be fun:ouch:

Fratemate
10th Nov 2009, 14:05
This is gonna be funhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/shiner.gif

Nah, not really Old. What will happen will happen and no amount of suggestion, bitching, nor moaning on some anonymous website will change that. IF a bunch of AJXers were able to get a bunch of dosh off the back of the merger, then good luck to them. I don't really see it happening but, then again, I'm usually wrong, so look forward to when I see one of the pax boys actually buy a round :ok: As I said before, the only thing I wouldn't want to see is a reduction in the terms & conditions of AJV regarding days off. If I have to fly pax around then so be it (I'd far rather have a job and accept non-boxes again) but the time off is very important to me and the only thing that would make me spit the dummy (pacifier if you're from the USA). Nobody has a clue as to what's going to happen and all these rumours of bonuses, time off etc are just that. Time will tell and, in the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy the delights of cargo, no seatbelt signs and being able to take 'personal breaks' when WE want to :)

The Dominican
11th Nov 2009, 02:10
I'm not a very smart man so I have to dumb things down to my level to be able to understand them because I don't know much about corporate structures, stock options and IPO's But the fact that people don't leave and out of the few that have left a lot of them have actually come back including the latest one that is currently a 777 captain on another contract and is coming back at the beginning of the year to deal with the horrors of seat belt signs and flying BCF's in the middle of the night. What that tells me is that this was a good gig before they put the divider in the middle of the office, it continues to be a good gig now that the divider is up and it will continue to be a good gig when they take it down again because they might have had two puppet shows running lately but there is always been only one puppeteer (the view dumb down to my level of course). So I think I'll wait for the information they said it was coming soon explaining how the reintegration was going to take place and leave the "101 ways this can be very bad" to the conspiracy theorists.

ishi59
11th Nov 2009, 06:11
There is a lot of history here that is not known to a lot of the post "divide" pilots in the operation.

It had become a really crappy operation before the divide, morale was low, fatigue and illness were way up.

Since the divide all pilots are unanimous that things have improved. The most obvious reason was that the flying was seperated and the clever guys gotmore money (incoming!!!:eek:)

So far only 1 individual has returned after taking a break from flying. Another is RUMOURED to be coming back, with the proposed merger, that may change, best wait and see.

Having experienced the "joys" of a combined freighter/pax operation the way it was done by AJX all those years ago, I hope we will not see a return to those conditions.

It is too early to tell yet but I would be very careful saying things are great and expecting them to continue to be great.

When things are bad, they can't get much worse, only better. When things are good ............., well enough said.

I reckon it's unlikely the AJX guys will see an improvement in their deal.

Maybe time to start dusting off those cv's;)

The Dominican
11th Nov 2009, 07:56
Maybe time to start dusting off those cv'shttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

To go where? I understand the history, the first six months on the line all you hear about is the history. And you are absolutely right, it can get a lot worst because the furloughed pilots list in the US just surpassed 9,000 and things downunder are not that peachy either are they? I rather maintain a positive attitude and try not to get into the divisive talk that seems to be out there because we are all just going along for the ride and assuming that the job will go to "hell in a hand basket" is counterproductive.

But hey, it is PPRUNE, have at it!

gomets
11th Nov 2009, 15:21
Just curious what kind of times/qual. you guys have getting through the Parc or CREW process?

Mine are 6200TT
5300 Turbine ME
typed BE400, MU300, CE750; SIC CRJ
Clean record
Associates Degree
Only 424 PIC Turbine

So far nothing...I do know there are a ton of Heavy drivers out there looking to get on, but wonder about the rest of us Regional airline/corporate guys..

BTW I'm former Comair and soon to be former Netjets. Applied through CREW in September, and just did the Parc online today....:ugh:

Absolutely
12th Nov 2009, 05:34
Fratemate and Dominican, well said both of you.

Whatever they come up with will almost certainly be some incredibly complicated restructure of salaries and conditions that none of us ever conceived in the last 6 months of conjecture. They have always surprised us in the last 8 years so I'm just gonna wait and see and try and not to be too surprised when I'm surprised!:hmm:

Absolutely
12th Nov 2009, 05:37
Gomets, just a guess but I'd say there are a lot more guys with a lot more "heavy" jet time than you applying. Keep trying though, good luck.

Damianik
12th Nov 2009, 17:13
3000+ TT
2100 737-800W
250 Hawker 800

Netjets Europe....

Past experience with ANA for Ab Initio Training

should i bother applying?

D

gtseraf
13th Nov 2009, 03:24
If you meet the minimum requirements, APPLY.

The worst that can happen is that they politely tell you they're not interested.

The best thing that can happen is you will get the job.

If you don't ask you don't get!!!

gtseraf
13th Nov 2009, 03:27
Absolutely, I have to agree with you.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the surprise. Not even letting my imagination run wild to try to guess.

HandoverRichard
13th Nov 2009, 12:43
Parc told me last week that my application for FO was rejected. No reason, of course. I can only think/ hope they found some discrepancy in my hours breakdowns.

Bummer. I was genuinely excited about the prospect of this job...relying on the gulf now (oh dear - not so happy out that way).

With over 9000TT, 2300 jet/757/767, (some PiC on type, although time on type is supposed to be no advantage); and over 5500PiC (although 2500 hours are subtracted from TT and PiC for instructing), you might think I'd be well qualified for an interview at least.

This is not intended to discourage other applicants - you have to be in to win, but it goes to illustrate the randomness of airline screening, and adds to the sharing of information concept of this thread.

I was looking forward to your offer of a beer, Dominican, maybe I'll pass through in the winter time on my way to Hokkaido for some snowboarding...

fourgolds
13th Nov 2009, 21:34
Greetings Gents

Just starting the process with PARC. A few questions ( I apologise if they have been answered before , but there is so much reading on this thread now , its a novel to cover):ok:

As far as the commute is concerned Parc say a " C Class" ticket or $2000 transport allowance. Can someone explain what a " C Class "ticket is.
Is it perhaps " Confirmed" ?

If your spouse comes to visit , do they have any objection to her staying with you whilst in Japan ( only some of the time)( she,s hot what can I say :})

They are also offering a Japan based contract. Is it possible to start with a commuting one and change to a Japan based one after the first 5 year contract is over.

Lastly , anyone worried that JAL,s troubles may lead to layoffs and therefore local Japanese pilots flooding the market ( and how it may affect expats), or is that a little out to left field ?

Has the merger with AJX/AJV gone ahead ? Confirm it does not really matter then which company you apply for in this case as we will all be flying both lines ?

Thanks all.

The Dominican
14th Nov 2009, 01:50
Check your PM's Sir HORichard

The Dominican
14th Nov 2009, 01:57
Fourgolds
With the exception of the last two questions the information you ask has been extensively discussed within this thread and although it is rather lengthy I would recommend you to read it (think of it as practice for the 9 months of reading you will be doing) The reason why I recommend it is because you will encounter information you might not think to ask but that is good to know.

As far as the commute is concerned Parc say a " C Class" ticket or $2000 transport allowance. Can someone explain what a " C Class "ticket is.
Is it perhaps " Confirmed" ?

Confirmed business class ticket

If your spouse comes to visit , do they have any objection to her staying with you whilst in Japan ( only some of the time)

No restriction, although if your accommodation will be a hotel the company will only pay for one week and the rest of the time is at your own coin. What accommodations will the combined company provide in the future? apartment vs. hotel? we simply don't know

They are also offering a Japan based contract. Is it possible to start with a commuting one and change to a Japan based one after the first 5 year contract is over.

I'm curious to hear where you got this information from? as far as we know it is only a commuting base contract:confused:

Lastly , anyone worried that JAL,s troubles may lead to layoffs and therefore local Japanese pilots flooding the market ( and how it may affect expats), or is that a little out to left field ?

My crystal ball has never worked very well mind you, but with many airlines and the government willing to dump money into the bottomless pit that is JAL and with the economy recuperating at a higher pace that has been anticipated my prediction is that hiring will continue at ANA and that eventually you will see contracts offered to expats at JAL as well. But the most politically correct answer would be, I have no freaking Idea!:}

Has the merger with AJX/AJV gone ahead ? Confirm it does not really matter then which company you apply for in this case as we will all be flying both lines ?

Gone ahead? In Japan everything takes a long time and the merger will take most of next year to be complete but then again so will the training of the folks that join now, so at the end it won't matter

fourgolds
14th Nov 2009, 06:42
Thanks Mr D.

Now its tme to throw my line in the water and hope the fish bite :)

Good luck to all applying.

saveconcorde
14th Nov 2009, 13:56
Hi, I am thinking about applying for this contract.
Could anyone tell me if your wife is able to stay with you during the initial 6 month training period? I would certainly not want to have to spend 6 months apart with only a weeks time together during the 6 month training period..
Are you put up in hotel accom during the first six months and if so can you other half stay with you in the hotel during that period?

Does anyone know of the cost to have you other half stay with you if the can not stay in the provided accom?

Cheers

Talon757
14th Nov 2009, 15:08
As has been mentioned before, this is all covered in depth within the preceding pages. During training your spouse will be able to visit twice for one week each time. The stay can actually be for the length of the visitor visa (90 days as I recall) but anything over one week will be on your own dime.

sleepypilot
14th Nov 2009, 16:46
Actually, what I have in my papers (Parc) only mentions "free return tickets to eligible dependents to visit Tokyo once during the training period".

And there's nothing on a break halfway during training, that would be nice. Can anyone confirm there is one (the break)?

Fratemate
16th Nov 2009, 07:57
They pay for two return tickets for your wife (husband) and one return ticket for your kids. They also pay for a total of two weeks in the hotel for your wife (husband) and one week for your kids. There is no restriction on how often your family is allowed to visit and the stay is purely limited by the Japanese visa. Any flights or hotel bills in addition to those mentioned above are down to you to pay for.

sleepypilot
16th Nov 2009, 12:09
Fratemate

thank you

saveconcorde
16th Nov 2009, 13:46
Thanks for the info.

From the above it appears that you are put up in hotel accom during your six month training (is that always the case or are you sometimes put in apartments?) If it is always Hotel what is to stop your wife staying in the hotel room with you? (Apart from the additional cost of food etc I don' see why it costs anymore for two people to stay in a hotel room rather than one)

Cheers

The Dominican
16th Nov 2009, 19:38
I don' see why it costs anymore for two people to stay in a hotel room rather than one

Because hotels are in the occupancy business.:E As far as apartments vs. hotel during training AJX had their trainees at apartments and AJV had them at a hotel but what will the integrated company do? we just don't know at this point.

A couple more announcements to come, I have a feeling the music will stop for a while so grab your chairs:ugh:

Fratemate
16th Nov 2009, 22:51
If it is always Hotel what is to stop your wife staying in the hotel room with you?Hotel policy is what stops your wife staying (free) with you. So, you have the choice; either pay for her after the two weeks are up or don't have her staying longer. Now, you know where you stay during training and you know the situation regarding costs involved, so can we get the thread back on line, rather than discussing the relative merits, or otherswise, of how the hotel business conducts its trade.

saveconcorde
17th Nov 2009, 11:07
Erm I think this is relative as it affects peoples lives who take up the contract. So if you don't mind I will ask any question i feel fit. (something that you regard as irrelevant may be important to someone else)

if you don't like people asking questions, don't answer them.

A lot of hotels I have stayed at are on a room basis (does not matter if one or two people stay in the room) the price is the same. that is why I was asking the question... so unless you have something constructive to say, don't bother replying to my questions.

Thanks you to those who have replied with helpful advice, its much appreciated, keep up the good work.

JetPilot_Mike
17th Nov 2009, 20:00
A couple more announcements to come, I have a feeling the music will stop for a while so grab your chairs:ugh:

That sounds scary for those of us waiting patiently in the hiring pool.

blackbird71
17th Nov 2009, 22:00
Hey guys

Great thread.

q1Quote:
"If your spouse comes to visit , do they have any objection to her staying with you whilst in Japan ( only some of the time)
No restriction, although if your accommodation will be a hotel the company will only pay for one week and the rest of the time is at your own coin. What accommodations will the combined company provide in the future? apartment vs. hotel? we simply don't know"

If during your wifes visit must you leave Japan during your Days off or can you remain in Japan.

q2
Why is this job continuously advertised? Is there there that much movement in the company? Pleases explain

Thankyou guy

Fratemate
17th Nov 2009, 23:19
Blackbird,

Q1. Your wife can visit any time during your training and there is no need to leave Japan. Bear in mind, though, that you are going to be busy, so most people wait until they are in the simulator part of the training (or OJT) when you will have a schedule and, therefore, a better idea of when you will have time to go off and do things together. There is no time specifically given off during your training for your wife to visit; you just have to fit in around the Company's requirements. The only time NORMALLY scheduled off will be between your ATPL sim check and the startof your OJT. This is NORMALLY 10 days and the Company will pay for your return ticket in order that you can go home during this period. Sometimes delays occur when, for instance, JCAB can't do your sim check or Christmas time reduces the flying program. In this case there may be the opportunity to have some more time off but it is definitely not par for the course and should not be anticipated, nor planned on, in order to organise visits. Back to your question though; you will be expected to remain in Japan during your wife's visit, as you'll be in training and you will have to squeeze things in around the sims etc (which actually isn't as difficult as it might sound as you ofetn have 1 or 2 days between sims).

Q2. There is virtually no movement in AJV and I believe that is the same in AJX. AJV is still expanding and ANA is keen to take advantage of the extra runway being built at HND and the increase in international traffic at NRT. In order to do this they need to be able to jump in when slots etc are offered, hence the requirement to have more pilots (and aircraft). AJV's original plan was/is to have 11 aircraft and we now have 7. We just about have enough pilots to crew the operation and the merger next year with AJX MAY reduce the requirement to recruit some pilots but this is certainly way above my pay grade and purely speculation on my part. The Japanese still have a huge pilot retirement 'bulge' and they need to get pilots from outside the country. Of course, things could get interesting with JAL and their lack of financial success but, for the time being, ANA in the guise of AJV and AJX still needs additional pilots, not replacements.

Saveconcorde,

Your snipey comments aside, you are now armed with the information you sought, regarding hotel versus apartment and the financial aspects of having your wife stay longer than 2 weeks, so hopefully your question has been answered and you're better able to make your decision.

blackbird71
18th Nov 2009, 06:42
Thanks Fratemate.

Re the wife visiting i was more interested in knowing if she visits you after you are checked to line and flying and having your normal 9/10 days off will you have to leave the country then as a part of your contract or can you remain in Japan with her.
I understand that you cant technically live together in Japan but if she is there on visits of up to 3 months do you have to leave every month during your days off.

Fratemate
18th Nov 2009, 08:07
MMmm, good question and one that I cannot be absolutely positive about but I'm sure there will be someone around here with a more intimate understanding of the Japanese system than I. However, I would suggest that you would be able to remain in Japan for, perhaps, one of your days off blocks but not two or three consecutive blocks. I say this because your wife would be in Japan on a tourist visa, whereas you are here on a 7 day shore pass (after training). It may be possible to convince the Company you want to enjoy your time off in Japan and do the touristy thing and they may be able to talk to the immigration people and get you a tourist visa for that period. But we are talking about the Land Of Paperwork here and this could very easily fall into the 'teeth-sucking, too difficult' pile. I definitely do not think it would be possible to do it on a regular basis and, when considering the job, would plan on the norm, i.e. leaving Japan on your days off.

If you're desperate to keep both of you out of the States (for tax reasons or whatever) but don't want a long commute during your days off, you could always consider getting a place in somewhere closer, such as Thailand, and then going there during days off on a tourist visa.

Personally, I really do enjoy working for this company, truly consider it a great deal and genuinely really like the Japanese people and Japan but, by the time it gets to going-home time, I'm ready to leave the country and I'm off like a prawn in the sun :ok:

The Dominican
18th Nov 2009, 13:24
Re the wife visiting i was more interested in knowing if she visits you after you are checked to line and flying and having your normal 9/10 days off will you have to leave the country then as a part of your contract or can you remain in Japan with her.

You can and people do it regularly to explore Japan while on their block of 10 days off. You do need to advice the girls in the office so that they arrange a shore pass with a transfer to your next duty flight because it does go beyond the standard 7 days of a shore pass. This is something that immigration does regularly with seamen that come to repair ships in the large shipping industry in Japan and go for extended period of time on their shore passes. Now there is a catch, the shore pass restricts you to the metropolitan area (or the area of the port where you entered Japan) and you are not supposed to venture beyond the area covered by the shore pass but guys go to give an example skiing in the mountains, scuba diving in Okinawa, or in my case I have gone to Nagoya to visit with friends. The only thing that is recommended is to take your company ID with you just in case you get stopped by the police on a regular check (they do this on occasion) if you produce your company ID, they will bow and go on their merry way.

Capt Coco
19th Nov 2009, 09:35
Hey Frat and compadre Dom.....all you need to do is enter Japan on a E/D card instead of a shore pass on your last flight and you can stay here for up to 3 months, no need to tell the office girls to organise a shore pass with white paper(7 day limit) etc.....been done a million times.

Blackbird, there have been a number of guys(both AJX/AJV) up here over the last 8 years who have brought their wives/partners to stay/live here for at times up to a year or more. The wife/partner just had to do at least one trip in and out of Japan(visa run) every 3 months, some wives/partners got their own Visa's(work visa's etc...) and didn't even require to do this. If you however choose to spend more than 7 days in Japan without flying you either need to ask the office staff to organise a shorepass with a white paper attached allowing you to do this or enter Japan on an E/D card(tourist visa) which allows you to stay in Japan for 90 days. The company doesn't care what you do with your 10 days off(11 days off AJV)(12 days off for the new merged company!?!?!:confused:) or where you stay or don't stay or what country you have to leave or not have to leave....as long as you turn up to work as per your roster after your days off.

Fratemate
19th Nov 2009, 10:24
Thanks for that Capt. I hadn't heard (or thought) of the E/D card to stay here for longer periods, so it's useful information to store away for a rainy day. Seems Blackbird's question has been educational for all of us :ok:

PS: Is this where we start the 12 days off rumour and hope it somehow becomes reality :)

Still running away home on my days off though!

mysci
19th Nov 2009, 12:28
Hi everybody,
I don't know if it has been answered before (sorry if it has), but could somebody enlight me about these issues: loss of license and/or income insurance...
Thanks.

Talon757
19th Nov 2009, 17:12

That sounds scary for those of us waiting patiently in the hiring pool.

Indeed it does. Dom, do you have any further word on this?

Capt Coco
19th Nov 2009, 19:03
Talon757..........the "scary thing now for those in the pool!!!" is you have no choice:p......AJV and AJX will be ONE by the time your training is anywhere near finished.
So when when they ask candidates in the interview if you prefer pax or freighter and do you mind which one you will be assigned to........they will be just taking the piss to see if you have read the latest pprune rumours/updates/amendments!!!!!

The Dominican
19th Nov 2009, 21:23
"Hey Frat and compadre Dom.....all you need to do is enter Japan on a E/D card instead of a shore pass on your last flight and you can stay here for up to 3 months, no need to tell the office girls to organise a shore pass with white paper(7 day limit) etc.....been done a million times."Somebody got in trouble recently for doing just that Coco-san, they came as a crew and filled out an ED and never registered on the GD as having entered Japan as a crew, there was something recently on the daily reports about it. The shore pass doesn't have to be restricted to 7 days, it could simply transfer you to your next trip with the white paper, thus my recommendation.

SKYWCRJ
20th Nov 2009, 00:24
I heard a rumor that you shouldn't wear a black suit to the interview. Something about how the Japanese only wear a black suit to a funeral. Any truth to this, because the only suit hanging in my closet is black. Thanks

Talon757
20th Nov 2009, 01:24
So when when they ask you in the interview if you prefer pax or freighter

Way past that, Capt. C. It makes little difference to me when the phone call comes if the cargo is self loading or not. I'll be more than happy either way.:ok:

Capt Coco
20th Nov 2009, 03:49
Compadre Dom, it doesn't matter if you enter on an E/D card or a shore pass they don't care.
The only thing is if you enter on a shore pass you must leave on a shore pass if you enter on an E/D card you must leave on an E/D card.
One of the new guys recently tried to combine the two!!!!!(don't ask me why:confused:)

JetPilot_Mike
11th Jan 2010, 00:43
Quiet around here.

Talon757
11th Jan 2010, 01:53
Too quiet.

(with apologies to the script writers of "Airplane")

atpcliff
11th Jan 2010, 02:31
Hi!

Read somewhere you need 20/20 vision. I don't want to do all the application/updating stuff if I don't qualify.

I have about 20/15 far vision, but my near vision probably would not be 20/20 for the test. It would probably be 20/25 or 20/30 on a near vision "computerized" test. I do not need glasses on my FAA physical, but I realize that the Japanese physical is a whole different ballgame.

Will I pass the Japanese company/CAA physical with, say, 20/30 near vision, uncorrected?

If that is OK, I will continue to apply...if no, then I will spend my time on other applications.

cliff
KGRB
PS-I would LOVE to fly on the Japan contract and commute. It would be TONS better than my current flying job.

Talon757
11th Jan 2010, 15:20
Cliff, I passed the flight physical with eyesight similar to yours except reversed ...when not wearing bifocals I take off my glasses to read.... so glasses are no problem (within limits, of course). Even passed the psychological test which came as a surprise for many who know me. I think more often it's something in the blood work that can cause difficulty so give the things you can do something about a check...cholesterol, blood pressure, and the like. BMI is also a big item. Still waiting for the call but I'm a patient guy.

atpcliff
11th Jan 2010, 15:37
Hi!

Thanx for the vision info. I will now apply via PARC. My BMI is no problem, especially after being in Africa for the last 9 months!

cliff
KGRB