PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

meguro
17th Nov 2007, 03:20
Jetjock?
If you are interested in ANA follow up your application and come to Japan to check it out.
The group that are generally most successfull are non rated FO's. That is partly their youth and the extra sim time as opposed to being already rated. The most unseccessful group are type rated Captains! This may seem surprising on the surface. What type of aircraft are you coming from?
Aji to gohan onegaishimasu

The Dominican
17th Nov 2007, 07:18
some guys are drinking beer hanging out in rappongi and others need to be on a suicide watch.

Hey Meguro, don't tell people my studying habits on a public forum man. That's not nice! :)

Training over here as Meguro said is not overly difficult but it is an endurance race (a marathon, not a sprint) On bad progress check or a couple of bad sims is not going to do it as long as you show progress the next time around. One important thing is that they don't want to hear Why you do this that way or the other? You see, ANA has the safety record that tells them their system works and that their procedures are at the base of this safety record (I don't disagree) Like meguro said, type rated experienced drivers some times have a tough time letting go of "their way" of doing things. Up to a point, I'm glad that I didn't have any time on the thing because that way I had no conflict but instead just learned it the way I was taught. It is a good feeling to be done, that's for sure:D

jetjock6
17th Nov 2007, 20:05
Meguro,

Thanks for your feedback. To answer your question, I'm typed in (and currently flying) the aircraft and would be applying for a Captain position. I'm curious as to why that is the most unsuccessful group. Is it because many are to set in their ways? Is it attitudes?

As aviators we are taught to access and manage risk. Giving up my current position and coming to Japan would be a risky move. One that I would not be willing to make if I didn't feel that I had a good chance of completing training as well as fitting into the program.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

meguro
18th Nov 2007, 21:48
Jet Jock,
Like I suggested earlier, come over and take the sim ride evaluation, that will give you a bit of a taste of what it's like.
It would appear that older guys have had the problems. But remember some guys that fail the CAB check are retrained and restested. But, guys who have struggled along the way win second prize.
There is one undeniable fact the ANA staff will do all that they can to keep you in the program. They are incapable of making an individual decision, so it's all done by an invisible committee when there's a scrub.

Turning off the control hydraulics to see if you can duplicate the Iowa accident will win second prize.
Arguing with the instuctors will be like playing Kplunk, you'll eventually run out of marbles.
Flying on one engine at 300ft with the autopilot engaged waching it accelerate to 250 kts and gently descend will also win second prize.

After 10 take offs with V1 failures and ten crashed, he went on to fail his first CAB test, he was retested and was happily flying the line until he took another job. It's not that bad really.:ok:

mudblood gaijin
18th Nov 2007, 23:59
We met some of the Captains on the last course that had the failures.

Those that failed were knobs and probably would have failed at any of the Japanese carriers, not just at AJV / AJX

galdian
19th Nov 2007, 08:07
meguro

" They are incapable of making an individual decision, so it's all done by an invisible committee when there's a scrub."

Probably one of the most insightful comments regarding flying in Japan (and the society in general) I've seen in quite a while. :D

7spade
25th Nov 2007, 12:23
just wondering if anyone with insight could give an example on the frequently mentioned "japanese procedures"!
maybe compare a specific procedure with the one you were used to from your previous OM.
some airlines really keep you from focusing on flying the machine.....

Lear70
26th Nov 2007, 17:22
I don't know, I'm sure the training curriculum is different, but I'm studying the material they sent me for the interview sim check and it's pretty straightforward, other than a bit out of order to study easily (I had to rewrite it for myself in a flow pattern so I could make sense of it better - probably just the way my brain memorizes data).

The two things I noted that seemed odd is:

1. There aren't any "standard callouts" included in the packet, other than when to select specific modes on the FCP and when to call for the checklists and a few things like Time C'K or Distance C'K (which I'm assuming means check and is an actual verbal callout, can't tell by the way it's written).

2. There isn't really a discussion on how to manage the automation and FCP which is a bit difficult initially. They talk about setting up manual mode tuning then returning to auto-tune on the PF side, and manual mode tuning and leaving it in manual on the PNF side for the VOR approach but don't tell you how you would do this. I'm guessing that they expect you to instruct your PNF to do these things verbally, and let him do it, but that's just a guess, I haven't emailed anyone there I know to verify yet.

I'm lucky in that I have my dad to ask questions. The last plane he flew was the 767 so he has his books and cockpit layout in color and was able to brief me on general switch location, panel locations, and a few specifics such as use of LNAV and VNAV and FLCH (the 717 I flew is basically a MD-11 avionics setup and the CRJ is actually closer in FCP use than the 717).

The procedures themselves seem pretty straightforward, just a lot of study to make sure I get the calls done at the right time in the right phraseology... 27 pages is a lot of data to memorize having never seen the plane. :}

skybound121
3rd Dec 2007, 06:58
Any AJX/V guys still around in Tokyo. I`m town for a few more days. Wordering if anybody would be up for a beer and a few questions. I`m thinking about getting my App in next spring.

Lear70
24th Dec 2007, 02:52
awfully quiet in here...

Anyone hear anything about January class dates?

blacklight
1st Jan 2008, 19:02
get the feeling its all put on hold.hard to find suitable candidates.Maybe looking for another solution....me just guessing:)

ishi59
2nd Jan 2008, 01:21
Word is that the next couple of courses have been cancelled due to a lack of suitable applicants/candidates.
Company is looking to hire mainly F/O's, too many captains around. Seems like the F/O with the experience required to join is very scarce or NOT prepared to work for the salary on offer.
Methinks an increase in salary will see an increase in applications.:E:E:E
Now is the time to sit on hands and wait and see if things will change (hopefully for the better):confused::confused:

Capt Coco
2nd Jan 2008, 10:29
Hi Ishi59,
A mate of mine working up there, was saying something about a rumour going around about a $3000 payrsie for skippers and $2000 for F/O about to be announced by a Potato somebody!!?!? in the next few weeks to try to attract more people to apply.....any truth to these rumours??
If it's true that would nearly start to get some of the guys over here to start to have a look, especialy now with the business class travel!?!? Not sure if he was referring to the pax or freight side or both??

Lear70
2nd Jan 2008, 15:57
That means what? Announcement on wage increase sometime in mid-Jan?

Then the months of Jan/Feb to recruit with a March class?

ishi59
2nd Jan 2008, 23:44
Capt Coco.

Seeing this is a rumour network, it's good to see rumours like that around.

Time will tell if this is a rumour with some substance or just wishful thinking.

NZ X man
3rd Jan 2008, 01:04
Greetings
Happy new year.
I know the Japanese physicals are very detailed, and I am sure there are threads on the:) subject, but what is the age limit? It sounds like a considerable amount of crew were not rated on the aircraft, is this correct.?

I am sure these questions have been asked before, so forgive me if I missed that part.

X man

Lear70
3rd Jan 2008, 01:15
Straight off the Precis' and Terms they emailed me, "Age not over 55 at time of commencement."

If you want the full terms and conditions, email me at [email protected]

Sorry,,, forgot to answer your other questions. Yes, they are taking non-type-rated pilots for both seats. However, as previously mentioned, they're having a difficult time finding qualified personnel who can make the culture transition and also have the skills to survive a 7 month training marathon, specifically at the price they are paying with the devalued U.S. dollar and time off schedule.

As a friend of mine said, "It's not a sprint, it's an endurance race. Psychologically plan accordingly every single day."

Lastly, the medical. It wasn't that hard, although my eye doctor was a bit of a bonehead which required me to have exams redone. Twice. No big deal.
General Chem 20 blood analysis, look for major issues, diseases, etc. Basically if you can pass a good life insurance exam without any major flags, you have good hearing and eyesight, and you're not on the edge of flipping out psychologicall (both a psychologist and psychiatrist get to pick at you, including the 553 question FULL MMPI battery of tests), you'll be fine.
Good luck!

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip over and meeting the ANA folks. They were actually very warm and friendly (for the Japanese) after the sim and interview were done. Two guys even made a joke with me, very nice guys, I think I'd enjoy being in the sim if they were instructors... but I digress.

555orange
3rd Jan 2008, 12:51
I have a comment for Mcguru...
The facts speak for themselves mate...if you have that amount of failure rate..with HIGHLY EXPERIENCED GUYS...then its not the crews who are not standard. Some guys may have flown a different type than before and need a bit extra...some are familiar and may be fast tracked....you have to be flexible with the learning environment. If your failing that many guys, its the company or the training that has the problem. Also...if your into a guy for 6 months...and they have moved all the way across the planet for you, you have a commitment to them. You owe them. Otherwise, you don't deserve anyones time. Its obvious they are committed, no? So .. its time to grow up and treat everyone like professionals. This is training...not a grade school exam. There is no place for Asian DO or DIE memorization and training in this profession. Time to move to the western front of progressiveness.

Ganbare
3rd Jan 2008, 13:00
Give it some time Lear. You'll find the Japanese are absolute masters at passive aggresive behaviour. Once you are in it thick you'll find a knife in your back and the person who put it there smiling politely at you. Just a few words of advise: Never Ever open up to them or tell them anything they could conceivably use against you in the near or distant future. Remember that everything and I mean everything gets written down and will be used against you if the need arrises. Despite their outward behaviour the ANA pilots don't want foreigners at their company. If they say otherwise they are lying to you. Get used to that to, they will lie to you and not feel shame for it. Just cover your butt and as long as you like flying, do that and then go home to your family.

Before you ask, I am a current contract pilot flying for a Japanese company and plan to be till retirement. I don't have any axes to grind, I just figured out the truth and made peace with the reality of flying here.

Later,

The Dominican
3rd Jan 2008, 18:31
Despite their outward behaviour the ANA pilots don't want foreigners at their company. If they say otherwise they are lying to you

As opposed to the heart warming rolling of the red carpet we would give a foreign pilot force here in the US If the circumstances where reversed?

Just cover your butt and as long as you like flying, do that and then go home to your family.
I am a current contract pilot flying for a Japanese company and plan to be till retirement

So all things considered (politics like in any other job) is not too bad of a gig, is what you are saying. Since dispite of your comment, you will stick around long term
There I agree with you. Just do your duty, stay away from the politics and you will enjoy the gig

Ganbare
4th Jan 2008, 01:29
Absolutely right Dominican. I think of how any pilot in the U.S. would treat foreigners coming over and taking our jobs and I would give an even cooler reception. As their union rules are set up contract flying is allowed and given the state of their general aviation (ie. future airline pilot pipeline) it's a neccessity even though they don't like it. So I totally understand their attitude towards non-Japanese, just a warning to Lear who may be going into it with a little too much naivete'.

I'm here because I like it in Japan, speak the language and get along well. I just let the insults and such slide off and use my Gaijin license when needed and things usually turn out right. This can be a great gig if you go into it with the "right" attitude but can drive some to suicide or homicide otherwise.

Good Luck!

anchorriver
4th Jan 2008, 13:08
Dear all,

I was told JP Express is gonna move its base to Naha, Okinawa in 2009. Does that mean you folks who fly for them would spend more time in Naha, instead of NRT or KIX? I wouldn't mind living in Okinawa which is quite different from other Japanese cities I have visited before. I wonder I should join you guys in next year...

Safe flight,

AR

Lear70
10th Jan 2008, 13:15
Hi Lear70,

I'm new to this forum. I was curious about the medical. You said that,

"...you have good hearing and good vision", there should be no problem.

Does the medical have any uncorrected vision standards that you might know of? In a earlier post, there was a link to the Japanese medical standards, in Japanese unfortunately:

http://www.aeromedical.or.jp/manual/manual.htm

On the wasinc.net site, e.g., for the JALways FO position, it specifically says: Medical Requirements: Uncorrected near vision maximum of 20/60, Uncorrected distance vision maximum of 20/80, Corrected vision of 20/20 (20/15 prefered), Cholesterol under 200, Height/Weight: BMI of 27 or less(kgs./cms./cms.= BMI).

I am just wondering if the above is the standard, although the requirements for the ANA/JP Express job only specify ICAO State Class 1 Medical Certificate. I have a US Class 1, but can't meet the above uncorrected vision mins:{

Anyone with any info, please help.

Thanks

--Jepp Revision

Don't know why your post disappeared,,,

Yes, there are AJX uncorrected vision restrictions, I believe it's 20/80.

I got a long packet on JUST the vision restrictions (in English), but it wasn't an electronic document and I can't find the goofy thing. If you really need it, I'll look harder, but your recruiter should have that information handily available.

They're really big on "field of vision" which is an irritating test right after they've dialated your eyes. Make SURE you tell the doctor that you would like to do the field of vision and other tests FIRST, before your eyes are dialated, so you're not blinking from the burning crap they put in them, have dialated pupils, then miss some of the vision field lights (had to retake mine because of this).

Incidentally, I'm not headed over. Long story...

I'm told that there will NOT be any more CA slots for AJX for some time to come, all upgrades will come internally, although with no one taking the F/O slots on the renumeration package they have, I don't know how that's possible...

Good luck to all who apply!

Jepp Revision
10th Jan 2008, 15:22
Lear70,

Thanks for the input. I had my half-Japanese wife attempt to translate the vision requirements on the Japanese medical standards link. It appears that it is an either/or deal, although some info may be lost in translation.

Basically, for nearsightedness, it says:

Either uncorrected in each eye at 0.7, or with both eyes at 1.0. (I believe this standard for measuring is common in Asia, perhaps even Europe, with 20/20 being 0.5, so this is probably equal to approx 20/80).

Or, corrected with prescription/concavity not greater than -8.0 diopters.

I'll ask the recriuter if I get called. I don't have the time to apply for command, so I'll still try for FO. I'm sure you have good reasons for your decision to not head over. Best wishes.

Thanks to all.

--Jepp

Lear70
10th Jan 2008, 16:03
Good luck to you.

For me, it wasn't my choice, it was theirs.

I was waiting and received an email from the recruiter that said all slots were filled for the January class and, even though I passed all the testing, I was not selected. Additionally, there will be no further Command classes in the foreseeable future, therefore my application will not be retained. I am welcome to apply for future openings.

Very bummed out... such is life. The F/O pay would have to come up to what CA pay is right now to draw me away from the states. I can make $75k and be home 12 days or so a month right now here in the states; can't imagine making a 7 month training commitment away from family PLUS huge chunks of time away during rotations for roughly the same thing I make now.

They were very nice to work with and, although their decision puzzles me, it's their airline, so I guess they can do with it what they want. :}

Good luck!

Seil Knisaw
10th Jan 2008, 18:19
There is an extensive list of the Japanese medical requirements in English at

http://japanpilots.19.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=23

At the top, click on Sticky: Japan Aeromedical Information in English (http://japanpilots.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=230)

7spade
13th Jan 2008, 17:34
gents, where would you find more information about ajx and ajv to prepare for the interview. it seems impossible to get more details if you are unfamiliar with the japanese language. only thing out there seems to be wiki and its links...short note on ana skyweb...not very much though!
any more on this?

Seil Knisaw
13th Jan 2008, 18:44
There's a little info posted at http://japanpilots.19.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Lear70
13th Jan 2008, 18:56
Well, first off, you *SHOULD* have received a packet that goes through the complete sim profile from beginning to end.

As for everything else, send me an email, I did a complete rundown on the entire process from beginning of Japan trip to end of Japan trip with technical questions, etc for IAC to use for their future candidates. I'm sure some of the tech questions change from interview to interview, but most of it is applicable.

[email protected]

p.s. for the technical stuff, they usually have only one or two questions but they're in-depth stuff, such as "Discuss EGPWS, how it began, how it has evolved, and what systems the newest generation of EGPWS interfaces with", or "Discuss inertial navigation, how it works, and how it interfaces with GPS and VOR navigation".

No, I'm not kidding.

The Dominican
13th Jan 2008, 21:19
And also read this thread from the start, there are quite a few experinces posted here (including mine) Good luck

ca777
15th Jan 2008, 23:29
please help. I'm interviewing next week and I need to know the call out for slecting the FLCH button. Is it flight level change? I'm not sure.
I appreciate everything that people has said and the info passed along.

Martin VanNostrum
16th Jan 2008, 00:57
Yes it is "Flight Level Change".

Ganbare
16th Jan 2008, 08:30
Only Northwest says "filch" :oh:

Lear70
16th Jan 2008, 13:26
Interview gouge, ladies and gentlemen, in 2 parts. Since I'm not going over, someone might as well benefit. This is as good as I can remember, done the day after I interviewed and, since I'm not 767 rated, some of the assumptions may be incorrect and hopefully some of the peeps currently flying there can jump in with corrections. :ok:

The fine folks at AJX / AJF have given out a lot of information in advance so you can be successful, so I don’t see any harm in providing the following guidance as I experienced in Tokyo.

Flew over JAL, fantastic experience, forgot what real customer service is like after flying the cattle cars in the U.S. 2 meals, one about one hour after takeoff, the other 2 hours prior to landing.

A couple of things to note: Needed cash: I got about $1,000 Yen out of the ATM at a 7/11 directly across from the hotel, they’re on the Pulse/Plus network and there’s 7/11’s all over the place. I got $1,000 Yen for about $93.20. Exchange rate at ORD at the currency exchange was $95 (a little worse than the ATM), so don’t worry about the exchange of currency. Coming back they pay $115 yen per $1 USD so you’ll lose about $0.20 cents per dollar coming back, no big deal if you use most of it.

Tipping is neither customer, expected, nor requested. They actually don’t like it / are confused by it. The Japanese consider it their jobs to do their required service at 100% of their ability without tipping as part of their salary. Forgot about that and had a waitress come running after me on day 1 for my $4 U.S. tip I left after a big dinner. 

Japan is approximately 15 hours ahead of U.S. Central Standard Time. Clearing customs was quick, no Visa required, simply told them I was there for personal/leisure, 3 days. The asked me my profession, I told them pilot, they asked no further questions and stamped me in. Customs similar, nothing to declare, move along.

Exit customs at Narita, turn right, head down the escalator, turn left, Information desk right in front of you that also sells bus tickets. Purchased one-way bus ticket to Haneda Airport, $35 Yen (about $31 USD). Busses are EXTREMELY prompt. Everywhere. So are the trains. You can’t be even one minute late, they’re gone, precision is one of the societal characteristics. 1 hour 15 minutes airport-to-airport. Off the bus, inside, downstairs one flight, taxi cab at east end of building, $20 Yen ($18 USD) straight to Toyoko Hotel, about 10 minutes taxi, 30 minute walk from the ANA building. They have continental breakfast each morning, Chocolate Croissants and coffee (no fruit) or Japanese style rice cakes and tea. Jonathan’s right across the road is like a Denny’s, with steak & eggs, plus normal Japanese menu items. Everything has pictures so you can just point, as does the very good restaurant on the corner, exit hotel turn left, go 100 yards on left upstairs. If you reach the police corner kiosk you’ve gone too far, it’s back 10 yards.

The train station is about 100 yards further down on the left past the police station on the corner. Very safe area, no worries about walking around day or night but there’s not much around except for food.

Very small hotel room, think cruise ship interior cabin. Barely enough room to walk around, hang your suit, small desk, 13” TV I never turned on, and a combination sink/shower toilet/bidet (watch out for the button marked “shower”). 

Lear70
16th Jan 2008, 13:29
Interview started at 1800 local time. I was the only person interviewing, the 2nd person bailed at the last second, got hired by Emirates. 5 panel interview, 3 Check Captains, 2 H.R. personnel. They didn’t smile a whole lot, but were VERY pleasant and professional. I think the only brusque/rude person I met my entire trip was the first taxi driver,,, everyone is very nice, overly so.

The interview was lead off by one of the H.R. interviewers, who had the schedule for the interview written on the board and went over it anyway. They all speak passably good English, some more than others. I can only give the same advice others have given. Speak quietly. Relax. Don’t be aggressive or assertive or loud. Smile, but don’t laugh or joke. Keep your hands on the table in plain site, it’s considered discourteous to “hide” your hands out of sight (don’t know why).

Orientation 1800 - 1830. Panel interview (normally one-on-one if more than one candidate interviewing) 1830 - 1930. Simulator 2000 – 2130. H.R. person went on to explain the background of AJX / AJV, when it was formulated, ANA interaction, etc.

Simulator briefing followed. Very similar to profile received via email EXCEPT a few notes (I don’t know if it was this instructor or company standard).
- Speeds are called out SPECIFICALLY for the profile, not “Set Speed Vref + 30”. Call out the exact speed, such as “Flaps 5, set 170” (which is Vref of 130+40).
- Note that the S.E. Vref speed is 139 + 5 = 144 kts.
- On each takeoff, at 500 feet they want HDG SEL, not LNAV (which only gets used once).
- On each takeoff at 1,500 feet they do NOT want V/S as is in the profile, they want FLCH, set speed 190, clean up to Flaps 1 only. I never, ever got flaps completely up and the briefing was very specific to go only to Flaps 1 on the approach.
- On the VOR approach, the profile says disconnect A/P and A/T *AFTER* joining the course. They wanted them disconnected *BEFORE* joining, just like the ILS Localizer.
- Note: On flaps retraction, the rest of the callouts aren’t done until the flaps are actually at the new position.
-

AJX Simulator Profile

Normal Takeoff #1 – Clean up only to Flaps 1 and Vref + 60

1. Enter aircraft, set seat position, set lights, set NAV, set V-speeds V1 129, Vr 132, Vref + 40 = 170, Vref + 80 = 210, Red Command Bug at V2 - 139.
2. Takeoff Briefing: “This will be a left seat takeoff Runway 17, Flaps 5, Reduced Power Setting 2. If there is a problem prior to V1, call out the abnormality, I will make the decision to abort. If there is a problem after V1, we will take no action until 1,000 feet except for raising the gear. At 1,000 feet we will take care of the problem and return here to Shimojishima. The clearance is runway heading to 3,000 feet. Are there any questions?
3. “Taxi and Takeoff Checklist to the line”.
4. Receive takeoff clearance, “Continue Checklist”. Complete.
5. Advance power to 70%, engines stable, Push N1 switch on MCP, release brakes, call “Set Takeoff Power”.
6. V1, Vr, V2. Positive rate = “Gear Up”. Pitch for V2+15-25 (154-164).
7. At 500 feet, “Heading Select”.
8. At 1,500 feet, “Set Climb Power, Set Vertical Speed 1,500.”
9. When accelerating through Vref+40 (170), “Flaps 1, Set Speed 190, After Takeoff Checklist”.
10. At 3,000 feet, “Autopilot On, Prepare for the approach and let me know when it is set.”
11. If any turns given prior to cleanup, maintain configuration until wings level on new heading. “Heading Select, Set Heading xxx”. No turns below 500’.

Visual Approach – 1 time practice, then graded.

1. Brief Visual Approach. “Take the aircraft, maintain heading xxx, maintain altitude xxx. This will be a visual approach to runway 17. Vref is 130 kts. Please call out abeam the runway 17 threshold, we will fly for another 35 seconds, then turn base, then turn final and land, full-stop. Any questions? I have the aircraft.”
2. “Descent Checklist”
3. “Approach Checklist”
4. “Ready for Approach”.
5. On turning Crosswind, configure aircraft to Flaps 5. “Flaps 5, Setting Vref + 40”. Have aircraft configured BEFORE crossing the runway or being vectored onto downwind.
6. Crossing runway, or 2 miles from downwind, disconnect Autopilot and Autothrottles. “Disconnecting Autopilot. Disconnecting Autothrottles”.
7. Note runway deviation from course in DME. At 170 kts a 10 kt headwind is a .9 DME turn (1.1 off the runway centerline). A 10 kt tailwind is a 1.1 DME turn (0.9 off the runway centerline). Remember the number above the compass rose is your TRACK. Self-announce any corrections.
8. Command “Flight Director Off. Set Heading 349.”
9. Abeam runway threshold, “Time Check, Gear Down, Flaps 20, set speed Vref +20”, arm speedbrake.
10. Set Power 65%, 4 deg pitch.
11. At three green, “Landing Checklist”
12. At 35 seconds, begin right turn and begin 700 fpm descent. Command “Turning base. Flaps 30, Set Speed Vref + 5, set Heading 079/259”. Set power at 50% and pitch down to 2 degrees until on-speed, then 61%, pitch at 4 degrees.
13. Roll out on base, time 12-15 seconds, until “noodle touches line” or until 0.7 DME cross-track if headwind, .8 if a tailwind, begin turn to final, increase power 2% for turn to maintain speed and V/S at 700 fpm. Remember to look out window, this is a VISUAL maneuver.
14. Rolling out on final, look for VASI and align. At last 1,000 feet, allow aircraft to go 3 red over 1 white to land in TDZ.
15. At 20 feet RA, begin flare and reduce power to idle. At touchdown, thrust reversers deploy, smoothly lower nose to centerline, then max thrust until 80 kts, idle reverse until 70 kts then stow.

Normal Takeoff #2 – clean all the way to Flaps 0 and Vref + 80.

1. Takeoff Briefing. Command “Taxi and Takeoff Checklist”.
2. Advance power to 70% holding brakes, engines stable, push N1 button on MCP and release brakes, call “Set Takeoff Power”.
3. V1, Vr, V2, Positive Rate, “Gear Up”.
4. At 500 feet, command “Heading Select”.
5. At 1,500, Command “Set Climb Power, Set Vertical Speed 1,500”.
6. Clean up on schedule, at 140, Command “Flaps 1”. At 160, Command “Flaps Zero. After Takeoff Checklist”.
7. At 3,000 feet, command “Autopilot On”, check speed, heading, and altitude.
8. If given a turn in climb, do not reconfigure until wings level again unless speed already accelerating. No turns below 500 feet.
9. Command “Prepare for the Approach, let me know when it’s set.”

VOR Approach

1. “You have the aircraft, maintain heading xxx, maintain altitude xxx”.
2. Brief Approach: “This is the Shimojishima VOR Runway 17 Approach, Plate 13-1, effective 19 April 2000. Shimojishimia VOR is 117.1, inbound course is 172 degrees, tuned manually left and in Auto, tuned manually in right and in manual. We will cross the VOR at or above 2,000 feet and descend to 1,500 feet, remaining within 14 DME of Shimojishima for the turn. Outbound course is 337 degrees, with a right hand turn to 172 degrees. Please call 1 ½ dot prior to course intercept. When on course inbound we will descend to minimums of 400 feet, set left and right. We need 400 feet ceiling and 1400 Meters visibility for this approach and we have both. Hi Intensity Airport Lighting System. Our VDP is 2.5DME from the Shimojishima VOR, Touchdown Zone elevation is 15 feet. The missed approach point is Shimojishima VOR station passage inbound. If we must execute the missed approach, it a right turn to intercept the 169 degree radial outbound climbing to 2,000 feet, then a right turn direct to the VOR and hold left with a 335 inbound course. 1,600 feet is the Minimum Safe Altitude all sectors of Shimojishima VOR. Do you have any questions?
3. “I have the aircraft, Flaps 1, Setting Vref + 60 (190), Descent Checklist”.
4. “Approach Checklist.”
5. “Ready for Approach”
6. When cleared direct to SJE, confirm PNF has set in CDU and SJE is white, call “Setting LNAV”.
7. 3-4 miles before SJE, “Flaps 5, Setting Speed Vref + 40” (170).
8. Descend so as to cross SJE at 2,000 if so assigned by ATC. Power idle for descent until below 2,000 feet. When ALT CAP, call “Setting next altitude”.
9. At SJE VOR, turn to heading 337, “synchronizing heading 337. Setting Vertical Speed down 500”. Power 50% pitch 3 degrees (autopilot is still engaged).
10. At ALT CAP, call “Setting next altitude, 400 feet”.
11. At 10 DME if LNAV has not commanded turn or at start of LNAV turn, “Setting heading 110. Heading Select. Gear Down. Flaps 20, Setting Speed Vref +20”. Arm Speedbrake.
12. At 3 green, “Landing Checklist”.
13. At 1 ½ dots prior, “Setting LNAV”.
14. Established on VOR inbound course, Command “Autopilot is OFF, Autothrottles are OFF, Flaps 30, Set speed Vref +5, Set Vertical Speed down 1,000, set missed approach heading”. Set Power 50%.
15. At 700 ft, call “Set vertical speed 500”. Approaching Minimums reduce descent to 300 fpm. Set Power 61%
16. At ALT CAP, Command “Altitude Hold ON, Set Missed Approach Altitude”. Set Power 72%, 4.5 deg pitch.
17. Runway in sight, wait until VDP (2.5-2.7) or Red/White PAPI, call “Landing, remove my flight director”.
18. At 20 feet, flare slightly, power to idle. At touchdown, reverse idle, lower nose gear, then full reverse until 80 kts, idle reverse until 70 kts, then stow TR’s.

Lear70
16th Jan 2008, 13:32
V1 Cut

1. Takeoff Briefing to include V1 cut. Brief that the working engine will always be guarded for thrust lever or fuel lever movement.
2. Command “Taxi and Takeoff Checklist to the line”.
3. Cleared for Takeoff, command “Continue Checklist”.
4. Advance power to 70% holding brakes, check engines, then push N1 button, release brakes, call “Set Takeoff Power”.
5. V1, Vr, V2, ENGINE FAILURE! Smoothly apply rudder, keeping nose on centerline, delay rotation slightly, then rotate slower, 2 deg per second, up to 12.5 degrees. KEEP BALL CENTERED, DO NOT use ailerons unless required.
6. Positive rate, “Gear UP”.
7. At 400 feet, rudder trim as required.
8. At 500 feet, Command “Heading Select”.
9. At 1,000 feet, Command “Set Vertical Speed up 300 feet.” and accelerate.
10. At Vref + 40 (170) command “Flaps 1, Flight Level Change, Set Speed 190, Set Max Continuous Power, Engine Failure and Shutdown Checklist”.
11. On checklist, make sure the PNF guards the thrust lever as you retard it. Make sure you guard the fuel cutoff when the PNF turns the bad engine off.
12. At 1,500 feet, command “Autopilot ON”.
13. At 3,000 feet, reselect Speed at 190 or aircraft will accelerate. Retrim for new power setting = less rudder.
14. “After Takeoff Checklist”.
15. When After Takeoff Checklist complete, command “Squawk 7700, Declare the Emergency, Check Weather.”
16. If weather acceptable, command “Tell ATC we would like the ILS 17, prepare for the approach, let me know when it is set.”

ILS Single Engine Approach

1. When preparation complete, “You have the aircraft, maintain heading xxx, maintain altitude xxx” This will be the Shimojishima Runway 17 ILS Approach, Plate 11-2, Effective 19 April 2000. ILS Frequency 111.5, inbound course 169 set Left and Right. Initial altitude 1,500 feet, cross the FAF ILS DME 4.6 at 1,500 feet, down to the ILS minimums of 215 feet, set Left and Right, 200 feet above the touchdown zone of 15 feet. We need minimum weather of a 200 foot ceiling and 800 meters visibility or 550 RVR, and we have the minimums. If we must execute a missed approach, it is a right turn to intercept the 169 Shimojishima VOR climbing to 2,000 feet then a right turn direct to the Shimojishima VOR and hold, left hand turns, 337 is the inbound course. 1,600 is the Minimum Safe Altitude, all sectors around the Shimojishima VOR. This is a single engine approach, flaps 20, speed will be Vref +25 on approach. Any questions?
2. Command “I have the aircraft, Descent Checklist”.
3. “Approach Checklist”.
4. Call “Ready for Approach”
5. When turning base or inbound angle, command “Flaps 5, Setting Speed Vref + 40”.
6. On final vector, cleared for approach, push APP, disconnect autopilot and autothrottles, Command “Arm Approach”.
7. Capture Localizer and stabilize.
8. When glideslope is alive, “Gear Down, Flaps 20, Set Speed Vref + 20 + 5”. Arm Speedbrake. Set Power at 85%, pitch 4 deg. Watch the rudder!
9. At 3 green, “Landing Checklist”.
10. At G/S capture, reduce power to 67% at 2.5 deg pitch, set rudder trim, then don’t touch it again until after landing.
11. At minimums, call “Landing”, do not remove the flight director, use both to land. Remember to dip half a dot low in the last 500 feet or so of flight to get 3 red over 1 white.
12. At 20 feet, flare and bring the power back to idle. Touchdown zone is in first 2,000 feet.
13. Idle reverse on touchdown, lower nose wheel, careful with reverse thrust on rollout single engine, idle at 80 kts, stow T/R at 70.

GOOD LUCK!

orangutan
16th Jan 2008, 18:30
Thanks Lear 70, that's a lot of really good and useful information. I really appreciate you taking so much time to help us all out.

I have a general question for you or anyone else who might care to respond...I thought I had heard that it is acceptable to use vacation days--one or two per month--to supplement the 8 actual days off you get each month. However, I talked to Alan at HACS yesterday, and he said no go. Is it PARC or another contractor that allows this? Or is nobody offering this anymore?
This seems like a great job in every other way, but the lack of days off at home is pretty tough to get over. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

meguro
17th Jan 2008, 04:48
Oragutang, Np problem allocating the days over the year, it's happening currently! HACS may not be up to date with what's actually going on online.
Gambate ne

orangutan
18th Jan 2008, 03:16
Many thanks Meguro! I really appreciate your response--that is good news, and it helps me quite a bit.

By the way, for those of you at HACS/Crew, I noticed yesterday that HACS has contacted Northwest Airlines about trying to get on Northwest's "approved jumpseat list". I wrote a letter of support to our jumpseat committee urging them to add HACS to the list (a necessary step in the approval process), so hopefully you will have that resource available to you soon. (They are voting on it the second week of March).

Thanks again for all your kind help and good information...

O

meguro
19th Jan 2008, 00:18
Orangutan, Many thanks for your consideration with respect to the Jump seat.
My history is that I have been in both AJX and AJV and am currently flying in AJV.
Good luck to all those guys starting in January, if I am the sim centre I will call in to your class and say hi.
Regards

The Dominican
19th Jan 2008, 00:57
We will not be able to reciprocate any jumpseat with NWA since it is not permited under our operation (we can't even jumpseat on our own A/C's) I find it hard to believe that the NWMEC will aprove a unilateral jumpseat agreement:=

orangutan
19th Jan 2008, 19:00
Hi Meguro,
Thanks for the kind words. I am interviewing for AJV at the end of February, and am really hoping all goes well. How do you like it there? I'd be interested to hear your opinion about rosters, days off etc--if you care to comment. Thanks again and hope to see you around the patch one of these days.

Dominican
Yeah, I thought it was strange to see HACS name on the list too, as I had heard of the no jumpseating policy. However as long as they were asking, I figured I might as well support the cause. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

7spade
21st Jan 2008, 15:20
does anyone know if these contracts are strictly commuting,
and if so, are you required to leave the country once per month?

do you have to have a domicile for the confirmed zed tickets, or could they
be to a destination of your choice?

would you be able to apply for residency status?

what are chances of a work permit for your spouse?

i think those would be questions with interest to a lot of wannabes!

thanks to lear70 for his great gouge!

CaptainProp
25th Jan 2008, 16:07
Thanks for great information. Im currently considering the deal.
Who is "best" to go with? Park or HACS, anybody?

/CP

crj705
25th Jan 2008, 21:40
- It is a strictly commuting contract. Currently no option to become a Japanese resident.

-ZEDs are to anywhere you want them. Your home or vacation.

-Wife has to qualify for a work permit on her own accord since you have no residency status. Not an easy thing to do. I have been looking into it for a while now. I hear that teaching engilsh is one possible job they could do.

I am from the US but dont live there anymore and I am with Parc. However, our health insurance doesn't really cover you in the US. If you are from the US, HACS's health insurance is better and they have a 401k program. So far, I dont have any complaints with Parc... My pay shows up on time and correct each month so far and my emails get answered fairly quickly.

7spade
26th Jan 2008, 19:13
crj

thanks for the info.

why is the bupa medical no good for the u.s.?

i am familiar with zed fares, just was wondering about
the 'confirmed business class tickets to/from domicile each month' which showed up on a hacs ad.

can you change domicile?

flexibility to switch domicile from the u.s. to europe or maybe hong kong and back within the 5yr period would make this a very attractive package.

777birdcage
27th Jan 2008, 03:52
The BUPA from PARC does work in the US and works 100% whether on duty or not.. This is confirmed and I have used it! (lots of mis-information about this)

The biz class travel is new and still going through a teething phase.. As I understand it, you can nominate 2 residences (one being your home on file).. I do not know if it is a problem to switch between the two often but I can tell you we have guys with more then one house in more then one country, so I don't see it being a major issue. Again, as far as I know, to change you residence, you fill out a form online.. Now obviously you cannot be changing that often so to go to Hawaii one month, then Bali and then London.. (I know, I asked!! :})

Some problems right now for us Americans and the guys from Europe because the company is pushing ANA as priority for travel, and for a lot of us that means a much longer, multi-leg commute; which oh by the way, costs more then flying our "home town" carriers with non-stop flights.. Keeping things in perspective, having these tickets is WORLDS better then trying to non-rev...

I think the winds of change are blowing over here, and I cannot tell you how things will shake out.. Many guys making THOUSANDS less then they did years ago because of the weak dollar.. Lots of jobs out there now, many are closer to home, and paying descent.. It will be interesting to see over the coming months as there are a bunch of the guys who originally started AJV coming up on contract (renewal)..

If you have more specific questions, there is good info on here, so just ask!!

Cheers,

BC

washington
27th Jan 2008, 14:20
Anybody going for interviews in February?

crj705
27th Jan 2008, 20:13
I should clarify my understanding of the BUPA. I was told by PARC that it will cover you in the US for the 1st 20 some days of your time in the US and visits have to be pre-approved unless an emergency. I should have been more specific and said that it won't really provide effective family coverage in the US unless they come and go each month, from my understanding. That being said, I have never tried to us it in the US so I dont really know for sure, so if my info is wrong, please correct it.

galdian
27th Jan 2008, 21:24
For info whilst dominated by Parc and Hacs, International Airline Crewing (IAC) are starting to get a few guys in as well.

Played with figures one day and reckon after 5 years pay between Parc and Hacs was different by $60, IAC was better by around $8,000.

Only suggesting another contractor to consider should you wish to, do your homework on them all and see who gives you the best vibe. :ok:

Lear70
27th Jan 2008, 23:25
Almost all the contracts are within $200 per month of each other.

You have to look at the fine print. The reason IAC looks so much better is that they actually pay you your retirement in cash, rather than have their own 401(k) to put it in.

The different, as you said, is around $7,800 per year, but you still get it with HACS and PARC; it's just paid differently.

galdian
28th Jan 2008, 00:21
Hi Lear

Haven't got the paperwork in front of me but seemed that both HACS and IAC included it as part of your salary (they MENTIONED it certainly but the figure was a part, not separate, from your salary.)

Parc had it as a stand-alone figure.

Happy to be corrected if mistaken.
Cheers

Lear70
28th Jan 2008, 02:26
Me too, would like to know if the PARC or HACS contract was that much more lucrative than IAC's but, from my research, I can only come up with about a $150 or so difference.

Maybe the full renumeration package has some extra $$ hidden somewhere in it in the PARC or HACS contract, I only have the IAC full package and the basics of the others...

The Dominican
28th Jan 2008, 05:52
PARC sets up your retirement as a separate account. The bupa coverage in the US is ONLY for the employee, the family is not included visiting or not. I had to get suplemental medical for my wife and kids, now bupa does cover your family anywhere else you wish to live.

galdian
28th Jan 2008, 06:42
I just sat down with the contract outlines from IAC and Parc and used the outline from the HACS/CREW website and simply added up all the bits and pieces for a total after 5 years.

Assuming I checked the figures correctly IAC were better by around $8,000 after 5 years - exactly why I don't know.

Once again not commenting about the "quality" of any agencies, simply looking at the $$$$.

Lear70
28th Jan 2008, 11:07
Ohhhh, over the entire TERM... I thought you meant $8k per year. :}

My bad...

Yes, it probably works out to that. I found about $150 per month difference which is indeed about $1,800 per year or almost $9,000 over the 5-year term as well.

I think we were saying the same thing,,, :ok:

galdian
28th Jan 2008, 13:19
Mr Lear

If only!

To utter that immortal quote "..tell 'im he's dreaming!"

Cheers
galdian

BTW: SW says g'day. ;)

J-bo
31st Jan 2008, 16:22
Hey Dominican,
I have a question for you. I work where you used to out of MSP and actually flew with you at least once. I still work there and have the interview with AJV coming up. Is it worth my while to buy some 767 sim time? I just looked into it and it isn't cheap. But in the long run may be worthwhile.

Anyone else interviewing in Feb. interested in renting a sim?

Jobear
1st Feb 2008, 02:37
So what happened with the two guys in the latest class who got canned BETWEEN their 1st and 2nd JCAB checks?

The Dominican
1st Feb 2008, 11:22
Hey J-bo, I sent you a PM

Jobear
1st Feb 2008, 15:40
No PM received, take care of AL for me. And watch out for that crazed Kiwi!

7spade
3rd Feb 2008, 11:06
Folks thanks for replies to my previous post. good information.

Whats the word on upgrades. Got told no more skippers needed due to upgrades from within...believe that was ajx.

Any actual upgraders on this?

Capt Coco
3rd Feb 2008, 12:04
They've been upgrading from within for over 3 years.....like any airline just do your time don't piss anyone off and you should be given a chance

7spade
4th Feb 2008, 07:14
Thanks captain

Do you have a reprisal policy in the company? Just wondering if they
would hang people for every little ****....

CaptainProp
4th Mar 2008, 09:31
Capt Coco - So this is "correct" then?

"AJX and AJV plan a very aggressive program of upgrading all qualified FOs for the next few years. While CREW is not in a position to make any promises in this regard we believe that this program will result in some very attractive opportunities for pilots who wish to upgrade to Captain in a wide-body aircraft. AJX/AJV have given us the following statement of policy:

“Each AJX and AJV First Officer may expect to have an opportunity for captain upgrade training process during the initial contract period.”

CREW has enough confidence in the intentions of AJX/AJV to pass this on to you for your consideration."

CP

ishi59
5th Mar 2008, 08:40
Yes, there is a record of command upgrades and this policy has just been revised and published.

There is a strong probability that an FO will be offered the opportunity to upgrade in the first 5 years, realistically after 3 to 4 years of joining.

Look carefully at the requirements to join as an FO, the salary being paid. Pretty crappy deal if you're not living in the US, considering the performance of the US$.

Also, AJX has been experiencing a very high failure rate of new hires, possibly as high as 50%. The failure rate applies to both new hire capt and FO. The sucess rate of upgrades so far is very good.

meguro
6th Mar 2008, 22:37
I believe that the failure rate is improving, it has been high but it is only a statistic, it is not that hard, refer to the Dominican.
I think it is safe to say that there has not been an FO in over six years that has not been offered an upgrade within their contract period. There has been one failure, that resulted in a 12 month wait and subsequent pass.
The upgrade is not under three years, but is definately less than five. This is not stated ANA policy it is purely based on the history.
Gambate ne

ca777
12th Mar 2008, 05:46
Anyone hear about May 08 classes. I have been offered a position in Feb 08, by Crew. Suppose to hear about a class date in April. Kind of short notice but anyone with a skinny would be appreciated.
:ok:

Jepp Revision
12th Mar 2008, 15:31
Anyone hear about May 08 classes. I have been offered a position in Feb 08, by Crew. Suppose to hear about a class date in April. Kind of short notice but anyone with a skinny would be appreciated.

My understanding was that there is an AJV class in July 08. Heard that they run 3 classes a year--spring, summer, and fall. Any idea if the AJV/AJX candidates are all placed in the same classes?

Jepp

The Dominican
14th Mar 2008, 05:14
Yes, AJV/AJX candidates are placed in the same class during ground school and SIM. Then they go their separate ways during OJT

Good luck to the new folks starting class:ok:

dignitas sought
16th Mar 2008, 04:54
Be aware if you take this one (AJX/AJV) on. The failure rate is confirmed to be in excess of 50%. Passing the interview is thus not indicitave of the likleyhood of success. If you do fail you are out on the street without any notice and that can occur at any time during your training. It is possible that you will have been out of the market for up to 6 months and will probably loose currency on your type. Amongst other things you will be expected to be able to fly hand a 767 at 550' (+/- 20' is considederd rough) assymetric or with a C hydraulic failure on a 1.5 nm down wind with 15 kts toward the runway. If you are unable to fly within tollerances, line up exactly and on path you will not pass. You will also be subjected to two oral tests conducted by the JCAB a matter of weeks apart, the scope of which is undefined. In other words any question can be asked. If it is not answered satisfactorily you will fail. If they do not like your attitude, you will not pass regardless of how well you fly or answer the questions. One should weigh the above very carefully in considering this opportunity.

7spade
16th Mar 2008, 09:45
There have been horror stories about the training before.

I tend to believe that a guy with a good attitude should be
able to pass with no problem!

Can somebody with a successful pass comment on that?

Dogslay
16th Mar 2008, 14:21
7Spade, you are spot on. Been there done it and passed

The Dominican
17th Mar 2008, 04:29
[QUOTE] Can somebody with a successful pass comment on that? [QUOTE]

We have had a high failure rate, this is true. Something in the 40 to 50% rate after my class went trough. Our class didn't do too bad, out of 8 for AJX and 4 for AJV one from each class didn't make it. (That is a pretty normal failure rate there) but not so good for the classes after us.

And yes, a good attitude goes a long way. Not only here at the training center but at the hotel too. If you behave like an ass with the hotel staff, guess what? The company will hear about it. If you are constantly questioning the procedures and making comments as to how your former company's procedure made more sence, guess what? you are making it hard on yourself.

And yes, they are pretty demmanding in their manouvers and you have to fly to the specs that the previous post metioned. But, they also give you a TONNE of sim time for you to get good at it. IT IS A PILOT's JOB. At some point you have to be able to hand fly the thing without loosing 20 or 30 feet.

I'm not going to pump sunshine on anyone, I have already stated that there have been a high failure rate latelly. But I also realize that my flying abilities are average on my best days, and if my dumbass made it to the line?:eek:

Come at your own risk, training is long and hard. But flying the line is great.

Good luck:ok:

meguro
17th Mar 2008, 05:58
Quote: "If you do fail you are out on the street without any notice and that can occur at any time during your training"

Simply not true, it can go either way. There have been many pilots who have failed and been given another go, in fact there are two on course right now having failed and are being another try. It depends on attitude, skill and potential. If during the training you continualy demonstrate below standard, you can expect to be cut at some opportunity.

Quote: "Amongst other things you will be expected to be able to fly hand a 767 at 550' (+/- 20' is considederd rough) assymetric or with a C hydraulic failure on a 1.5 nm down wind"

Also technically incorrect ANA never practice assymetric circling, only 'C' system inoperative.

Quote:"You will also be subjected to two oral tests conducted by the JCAB a matter of weeks apart, the scope of which is undefined. In other words any question can be asked. If it is not answered satisfactorily you will fail."

I understand that the oral has been 'upped' a bit but there is the record of a pilot that did not actually answer any questions or attempt to and passed! ANA will give you a few Oral skills, for example answer in english and very fast. Or, answer what you DO know rather than the question.

I have done the orals and I have not been able to answer all the questions and some I got plain wrong. In one answer to the JCAB guy, I said that I would not insult him by guessing.

Finally, to repeat earlier advice, it is not that hard. There is not a hangmans noose waiting outside the sim, ANA genuinely want you to pass.

Gambate ne.

7spade
17th Mar 2008, 13:37
The right attitude is key.

But how do you keep motivated looking at your

paycheck each month? The plummet of the greenback

is surely a bummer...

oldhasbeen
17th Mar 2008, 21:39
I've seen the "Dominican" on his best days , and guess what??....................................he's right!!!:p:p............just kidding buddie!!

dignitas sought
18th Mar 2008, 01:59
40 to 50% of the very good pilots ie: those with sufficient skills and motivation to be selected , have been unable to meet the standards required both in performance and attitude. It is important to note that those who are given a second chance are NOT included in the overall failure statistic nor are those who manage to answer the questions asked of them with technique rather than knowledge. It is possible to pass the process. Plenty of extra training is provided for those who are borderline however they will not be put up for a JCAB check if it is felt they will not be succesfull. Once the deciscion is made termination is immediate ,there is no period of grace to allow you to re-establish yourself. Fact! Even those with te best possible attitude will be terminated if their manipulative ability or flight management falls short of a very high mark. Be aware that there is a propensity for the concequences and likelyhood of failure to be continuously minimised by the all recruiting firms. Again I strongly suggest careful assessment of the opportunity particularly if you have a good job at the moment or for F.O's are even remotely in line for a command.

meguro
18th Mar 2008, 05:26
Yo Dignitas,
I'd hate to shatter your impression but the standard isn't that high. Have you ever flown with the Japanese online? There are a lot of guys that have gotten through that wouldn't have passed majors like Cathay, United, Qantas etc. The standard is extremely wide. In fact for a bit of fun I'd love to see some of the ANA senior Captains pass a sim check that is unscripted, like a normal airline. Picture this; a senior checker does his sim renewal, first take off rejects, the sim operator/Checker apologizes as he forgot to put in the engine failure at V1! The aircraft comes to a screaching halt with both engines operating normally!
As a minor point, if anyone is currently online as ANA and flight crew in 767 can they varify that this is the easiest airline job in the world to keep. I'm looking for a comment on a renewal etc?

For a long time ANA lost roughly 1 in 10 pilots to any number of reasons (go back a while to some of my posts). It has only become extremely bad recently. One of the factors is western ego's playing a part. When you put two guys together for such a long period, it becomes tense and invariably there is competition between the guys and animosity. You typically have one guy trying show how good he is by making the other guy look bad. The result is both suffer for not focusing on the task at hand. It becomes a childish pissing contest.

My final words would be; You don't have to kiss ass, you don't have to behave like you're in an internment camp, just shut up and fly the plane, that's it.

Gambate to all the guys that started last week.

NZLeardriver
18th Mar 2008, 05:29
Does anyone have a sample monthly roster they can show us?

ishi59
19th Mar 2008, 03:14
Meguro, you speak confidently about this subject, as if you are in AJX/V but then you ask for input from guys about renewals etc. Are you one of us or a outsider who is stirring the pot.

The western ego has been around since AJX started hiring western pilots in 2001. Your assertion that the ego is to blame for the failure rate is a crock of s%^t. These problems were there then but the failure rate was a lot lower than it is now.

Possibly the failure rate is because the package is so poor compared to those offered by established, reputable airlines worldwide that the average standard of applicant has slipped and they just can't make the grade now.

In the past the majority of pilots were sourced from well established, large airlines with a well well-entrenched discipline and adherence to procedures.

Another factor contributing to the failure rate is the fact that ANA has outsourced training to Alteon using foreign instructors. Now, as has been mentioned, Planet-Japan has a very different way of doing things and these poor guys were thrown in the deep end not being familiar with this. The Japanese have NO clue of what goes on outside Japan, so did not know that they would do things differently. Throw in some internal politics and the mix is volatile.

I would agree with you, the average standard of the Japanese pilots, themselves is pretty mediocre, they're not the Chuck Yeager's they think they are.

meguro
19th Mar 2008, 06:36
For Ishi!

QUOTE "One of the factors is western ego's playing a part. When you put two guys together for such a long period, it becomes tense and invariably there is competition between the guys and animosity."
This came from an ANA Captain that authorised more sim for two guys. It is only a factor, it was mean't as advice to someone on course now or considering it.

Yes, I'm one of You. I knew Ishiyama and god damn it he had wide head. I know Kobi went sailing off the end off NRT 'B' runway. The Spud won't make a basket ball player and the red book is a great read.

I share the sentiment of your comment about paying conditions not attracting the people that they want. Like from the majors.

The other airlines are much quicker to adapt to the changing labour market. It took ANA six years and a 50% devaluation of the currency to even look at the commuting allowance. Even now they haven't done anything with the others, like layover or accommodation.

Gambate.:ok:

ca777
20th Mar 2008, 05:24

My understanding was that there is an AJV class in July 08. Heard that they run 3 classes a year--spring, summer, and fall. Any idea if the AJV/AJX candidates are all placed in the same classes?

Jepp

Thanks Jepp for the Info. I was getting worried since I'm on the street with no US prospects for employment. (Got fired for refusing to fly un-airworthy A/C.) Damb regional airlines.
Thanks again Jepp
:)

ca777
20th Mar 2008, 05:33
Yes, AJV/AJX candidates are placed in the same class during ground school and SIM. Then they go their separate ways during OJT

Good luck to the new folks starting class

Thanks Dominican (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=155327), I hope to be flying with you one of these days. I and the rest of the new people thank you for your help.

CA777:ok:

The Dominican
21st Mar 2008, 20:29
Thanks Dominican (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=155327), I hope to be flying with you one of these days. I and the rest of the new people thank you for your help.

Why would you want to do that to yourself? didn't you read what "oldhasbeen" posted?:}

ca777
23rd Mar 2008, 05:18
Why would you want to do that to yourself? didn't you read what "oldhasbeen" posted?

Well yeh, but I have flown with 250hr TT Fo's that made me want to kiss the ground when we hit the ground.:\:mad::sad:

ishi59
24th Mar 2008, 04:46
CA777
congratulations on the position. I judging by your posts, you're still waiting for confirmation of a star date. Are you starting as a Captain or F/O??

The Dominican
29th Mar 2008, 14:46
1. Are there any western "gaijin" pilots that fly the 747 or 777 for ANA?

No, the outsourcing agreement with the Japanese Pilots Association restricts it to the 767 and smaller. Although not by name per say but by size, the word around the camp is that the 787 would fall within the parameters of the language.

2. Is there a "glass-ceiling" for foreign national pilots...only slotted onto the Dash8s, 737s, and 767s? How high up the pay scale can western pilots climb?

Like I stated before, yes. Working for one of these companies that are part of the ANA group (AJX,AJV,ANK,A-Net) Is all by contract and this includes the Japanese F/O's and some of the Japanese Captains. There are other Japanese captains that are assigned to duty in these companies but they are really ANA employees, not under contract. As to how high the pay scale? The contract value, that is it

3. Is there a different pay-scale for Japanese pilots flying the same a/c?

Like I said before, the contract Japanese pilots (F/O's and Cap.) sign the same contract we do. The ANA line pilots that are assigned by ANA to these certificates have their own pay scales (ANA mainline pay and benefits) I have no Idea as to what their pay is, but I have a feeling is a little better than ours

4. If one were to fly 4 consecutive 5-year contracts at ANA (20 years) what sort of retirement package, if any at all, would one receive from CReW, or PARC or ANA?

As a contract pilot you are NOT employed directly by ANA, you are officially an employee of the contract agency. They do offer a retirement plan and a sum is deposited into it for the purpose of retirement

5. What contract do the Japanese pilots sign? Years of service requirment? Pension plan?

Read above

6. From what I read about the high failure rate on recent courses, I assume that the root cause has been the pilot's attitude. Adjust to the Japanese way or have your course status adjusted. Not a question.

In a nutshell, yes.

orangutan
29th Mar 2008, 19:31
Hi,
I happened to stop by the HACs website today and noticed a curious change. Although they still mention the "new pension program" in the text of the web page, the pay summary has been changed to reflect the old (higher) basic salary and the pension contribution column has been eliminated. I assume this is due to the weak dollar and the monetary hardship it has caused the guys from outside the US? Or is there something more interesting going on? Anyone with rumors or comments?

Capt Coco
30th Mar 2008, 13:30
Yo Dominican,

Did you really say....."The ANA line pilots that are assigned by ANA to these certificates have their own pay scales (ANA mainline pay and benefits) I have no Idea as to what their pay is, but I have a feeling is a little better than ours" bwahahahah.
You crack me up compadre(check spelling), a little better?!? You've been eating too many funny little potatos up here bro, pay....try 3 times for the average line guys, 4 times or more for the managers(non union pilots). Acutally it would be even more in your case as you are on 'C' scale right, been here less then a year on the wonderful new Potato contract.

The Dominican
30th Mar 2008, 16:01
Compadre Coco

A great example as to why you shouldn't post while intoxicated. If you didn't get the cynicism of my "a little better" phrase, maybe you shouldn't munch on my left over funny potatoes.

From now on compadre, you are paying for the beers at the Barge Inn you "A" scale you! help out a meagerly paid FNG

ca777
31st Mar 2008, 02:50
CA777
congratulations on the position. I judging by your posts, you're still waiting for confirmation of a star date. Are you starting as a Captain or F/O??

Thanks Ishi59, but got a call from HACS and said I didn't score high enough among the other canidates and are now not offering a position to me. I was offered a FO spot but now back on the street. I think it is time to change professions, can't get a job in the states and now Japan. Good luck to all I'm going to find a different profession.
:(:ouch:

777birdcage
31st Mar 2008, 03:00
Forgive me for adding a bit of reality and logic to the BS flying on this thread.. We all know there are major issues here, but life could be worse.. Hence my post here to ask you guys to pester your contract companies to try and help out the Aloha pilots who are now on the street.. I sent a note to PARC, and CM is talking to IAC I believe.. I just think if they hear it from a few of us, it might get their attention.. We should try to get these guys interviews here if they want it..

Cheers,

BC

andydd
1st Apr 2008, 14:41
contact [email protected] for a list of jobs for your guys?

washington
5th Apr 2008, 17:08
anyone know how many hours AJX pilots average a month?

crj705
6th Apr 2008, 02:06
I am at 70 for April, Last month was 86, Feb. was right at 70, Jan. was about 83, and Dec was about 70. You will typically be right at 70 hours each month; however, we are short on guys now so I would imagine that overtime will start to become more and more common.

ishi59
6th Apr 2008, 02:26
washington.

Reading between the lines, it seems you're trying to find out how much extra you'll earn with overtime every month.

Past experience, since 2002, shows that it is not advisable to plan on ANY overtime. At present the F/O's are working some overtime but it varies, so would probably not plan on any. If you get some, well it's a bonus.

washington
6th Apr 2008, 23:04
On average how many days a month do you end up paying for your own hotel room.

ishi59
7th Apr 2008, 00:27
Hello Washington, prepare yourself!!

These comments, though negative and critical, are meant to give you as realistic a picture of AJX as possible.

As far as money goes, I would say that AJX is a low paying opportunity. It may seem to be OK now, but the provision for annual inflation adjustments is laughable, based on around 1% p.a. Probably only Japan has that inflation rate now. If you live in the US, you will be spared the further reduction of your salary due to the weakening US$. Don't expect any REAL action from AJX about this. It's been happening for a long time and they've just sat on their hands saying it's not their problem.

The hotel accomodation allowance is based on 10 nights in NRT, at US$50 per night. In reality the cost is up to $65/ night and you could expect to pay for around 8 days per month on average.

Per diem alowance does not cover costs of food and other living allowances, let alone the odd beer!

The roster used to be reasonably well balanced but with the introduction of new duties and the probability of more back of the clock stuff, combined with the shortage of pilots here, you can expect to be exposed to real fatigue issues and expect long term chronic fatigue to be a factor.

7spade
9th Apr 2008, 08:46
Does anyone remember, or know the name of that Human Resource Lady
who recently sat in the interview panel at ANA training center?
She was really, really nice.

The others attending were 3 captains and the tall guy from HR ( also nice people ).

Anyone who goes to an interview should ask for peoples business cards, just
realize that now.

Thanx

Nalo
10th Apr 2008, 01:57
I have on average 10 nights a month in NRT, this month it is slightly more due to standby duties etc. At the Excel Hotel the current rate for staff I hear is Y5700/night so is slightly more than the USD$50 budgeted for and the Garden Hotel is around Y6500/night. Hope that helps.

gonzo7
10th Apr 2008, 07:33
Can someone give an example of a typical AJX duty month? I'd like to see how many trips on average to each destination and how your trips are spread out (or packed into) over the 20 days on.

G

Nalo
10th Apr 2008, 07:42
This month 10 days off overseas (ie home). 2 HKG trips, 2 SIN trips, 1 HNL trip, 1 day return to Guangzhou, 1 day return to Shanghai 4 blank days off in NRT. SIN, HNL and HKG are effectively 3 days trips. Guangzhou is 0820 report 2025 sign off, PVG is 1245 sign on 2145 sign off. HKG trip then SIN back to back, blank day, standby, Guangzhou day trip followed by a blank day, HNL, blank day, SIN trip, 10 days vacation, HKG trip, next day PVG day return then blank day.

crew101
11th Apr 2008, 03:30
What is it like at express?(JXV) days off per month?

777birdcage
11th Apr 2008, 08:15
At "JXV", we work 8 days on and 23 off.. At the moment, we do mostly Japan-Europe on the twin otter, but next year we get 777 freighters, so I expect the inter-Asia flying to pick up.. We get business class anywhere on Aeroflot's network, so that helps for side trips etc..

Hope it helps!

:}

ishi59
11th Apr 2008, 13:50
where do I sign up???

and confirm the salary!!

777birdcage
12th Apr 2008, 03:30
With the decline of the dollar, we actually pay them!!

crew101
12th Apr 2008, 05:44
OK OK I was half sleeping did 7:41 on the first day of a 3 day trip (15:12 duty).AJV days off ? Thanks

The Dominican
12th Apr 2008, 06:26
11 days off for AJV and 10 days off for AJX. Although you have the option of using your vacation days in a monthly basis, increasing your days off by 2 additional days per month (burning your vacation of course)

skywalk
18th Apr 2008, 13:11
Hi, I am thinking to apply for this one. What would be to live in Japan instead of commuting. Would my wife like it? I don't think I would like to commute every month to Europe.
What the cost of living looks like? :confused:

galdian
18th Apr 2008, 14:59
The AJV and AJX (Air Japan and Japan Express) operations (B767'6) are commute contracts ONLY.

IF, IF you could somehow find a way to live in Japan you would be given no status, credentials or assistance in any way from the ANA group.

Yes there are ANA group contracts on 737 and Dash 8 that are live-in; contractor beware, do a LOT of homework if giving them any consideration.

skywalk
19th Apr 2008, 09:05
Hi galdian,

What do you mean? Is it difficult to obtain resident permit? One agency offers two options - resident or commuting and same money paid. Is it not very tiring to commute to EU?

galdian
19th Apr 2008, 13:20
Skywalk
To date no contract to fly 767's in an ANA sub (ie Air Japan or Joint Venture. AJX and AJV) have had a non - commute option as it raises questions regarding costs and taxes they have no desire to deal with.

If things have changed happy to stand corrrected HOWEVER make sure you confirm whether they will provide support and sponsorship (then do-able) or whether they leave it totally up to you to sort out (then virtually impossible.)

cheers
galdian

crj705
19th Apr 2008, 13:28
The following is now posted on HACS' website:

"Visa’s can be supported in 2008 at the crew member’s expense if eligible."

Apparently there is already one that has started the process. I am waiting to see how it plays out with him before I look into it.

hojuny
22nd Apr 2008, 13:12
Is AJV going to get some 777 freighters?
If, yes when?

meguro
22nd Apr 2008, 15:14
Yes, 2011 four are required for longhaul freight. Quando Quando san will be dissappointed.

skywalk
23rd Apr 2008, 08:42
Thanks chaps. All comments appreciated. Commuting 9 hours time diff is too much for me.

crew101
26th Apr 2008, 21:27
What is the time to hear back from first applying .The commuting from Japan to the US is it only to a city that ANA is flying to or is it to any city in the US? Does any one know if there going to be any more airplanes for AJV/AJX.
Thanks

Lear70
27th Apr 2008, 16:15
Thanks Ishi59, but got a call from HACS and said I didn't score high enough among the other canidates and are now not offering a position to me. I was offered a FO spot but now back on the street.
Welcome to my world...

In a similar boat to you; fighting union grievance will take about 12-18 months which I'm sure you're also going through as well.

Went to interview, was told I passed and everything was good then, a month later, was told although I "passed", my overall score wasn't high enough to make it into the next class (beginning of this year) compared to other candidates. Checked back every month the last 4 months, was told I hadn't made the June class either.

Now that ATA just dumped a hundred or so current and qualified 757 guys on the street who can likely ACE the sim, I imagine this position is likely dead for guys like you and me who might do OK and within tolerances for the interview check but not like someone current and qualified in the aircraft. :sad:

Such is life; I was really looking forward to this position and life in Japan (I had a great time when I went over for interview), but I may just stay in the private sector (charter and corporate) if my arbitration doesn't go as well as I hope in July.

If you have any Learjet time, give me a shout, I can definitely hook you up with at least a job that pays the bills until everything else works itself out for you. If you're having trouble with union and grievance channels, shoot me a PM as well. I've helped several guys fight their own grievances when the union isn't doing what they're supposed to do. Be prompt, if you miss the timelines as spelled out in your CBA, you're hosed.

Best of luck to all!

p.s. Senor Dominican, you have been missing all the good weddings from our previous coworkers. Just got back from one in Ohio last night,,, at about 3 in the morning! :E They said to say hello...

edit: Add EOS to the list of airline shutdowns that will put a bunch of 757 qualified guys on the street. They just filed on Friday. 6 airlines ceasing operations in one month. Good luck to all...

orangutan
1st May 2008, 16:35
Has anyone else ever had to wait longer than two months for a result after their interview? I interviewed in February, but have not heard a thing since then. As far as I know, I've passed everything--sim, medical etc. Alan at HACS has said that it is possible that although I passed, I might not have scored well enough to be offered a class right away--and that might be, though I thought my sim performance was relatively solid. Nevertheless, I'm surprised I haven't received at least some notification one way or the other. Does this seem normal? Also, has anyone who was a "low scorer" ever actually been offered a later class, or is that sort of the polite brush off? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!
O

Lear70
2nd May 2008, 00:58
That's exactly what I was told as well. Interviewed late October, haven't heard anything since except "we're staying on them and haven't heard anything".

However, some people have waited upwards of 6+ months before receiving a class date. Can only imagine that more people interviewing who are current 757 would score better and keep taking the class slots...

Such is life. Good luck!

The Dominican
2nd May 2008, 02:56
Regrettably, passing the interview process (both the sim and medical) is not an automatic job offer.:ugh: I'm not sure about the concept of passing with higher or lesser degree on the sim interview, for what I have experienced here the Japanese consider a pass and a fail as such and there aren't degrees of one or the other, this might be the contract individual way of saying "I don't know why you haven't been offered a position"
Out of the folks that have passed the interview process they will take their "pick of the litter" if you will, based on previous experience and fill their classes with those individual's. One thing is for sure, with all these airlines closing their doors there are quite a bit of experienced drivers looking for work:(

orangutan
2nd May 2008, 17:29
Thanks guys,
I really appreciate your input. At least now I know I'm not alone in limbo-land! I think we'd all feel a lot happier if all those '57 guys hadn't suddenly been dumped out on the street (I suppose they are even more unhappy about it than we are). Perhaps every last one of them won't come rushing to apply at AJV/AJX though. There are still other gigs out there, and a lot of guys just aren't willing to make that long commute and/or spend 20 days at a time away from the wife and kids. So, fingers crossed....

Lil Bro
29th May 2008, 20:41
Anyone have an interview in June? If offered a job, when could I expect a class?

Where are the overnights on AJV and AJX?

777birdcage
29th May 2008, 21:50
In AJV, we over night in ANC and ORD. In July, we start BKK stays.. In AJX, I know they do Hawaii, Hong Kong and I believe Singapore..

As far as hearing about a class, it can take some time.. I have heard now that some guys “Rank” higher then others and thus will get an offer sooner. 90 days notice is the international standard, so don’t be afraid to tell ANA you need 90 days before you start.

Be aware that 2 more of our friends have NOT passed their final JCAB check… It’s amazing that after 6 months of training on a 25 year old plane, we are all still idiots!!!

Lil Bro
30th May 2008, 20:17
How many days to you spend in ORD on average per month?

Lil Bro
1st Jun 2008, 02:14
How many aircraft on the AJV and AJX tickets?
How many more are comming?
Are they all 300ERs?

The Dominican
1st Jun 2008, 14:55
At AJX (the passenger side) we don't have any airplanes, we fly the 300ER's from the ANA fleet. At AJV (cargo) I believe 6 A/C's right now (give or take an A/C or two) and they are all new 300ER freighters.

How many more are comming?

They don't really share their thoughts or plans with the gaijin pilots

777birdcage
2nd Jun 2008, 04:13
Right "Now" the "Plan" is to operate 8 767s. We get #5 in July. Supposed to have 8 by 2011, then get 777.. Be aware the "Plan" could change many times..

If you do a "Normal" 13 day-off monthly schedule, you could have 0-4 days in ORD. If you back to back your sked, I guess you could double that..

Of course, we are opening ORD as a pilot base, so you will be all set!! :8

he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he

OK, back to heavy drinkning..

Lil Bro
2nd Jun 2008, 15:10
The AJV birds are NEW? As in new to AJV or new as in new from Boeing?
I remember reading somewhere they were changing out the gauges for LCD panels? SO are the AJV birds glass?

P.S. How long is the flight from Japan to ORD?
Also, why is there so much deadheading? (i've read here there is)
777BC would you please post a copy of your roster, or PM me a copy please.

The Dominican
2nd Jun 2008, 19:32
They are new from Boeing but ANA is paying additional to have them retrofit to the old instrument panel as not to change their training programs. ANA is also receiving new passenger 767's with the old instrumentation.

ORD base and 777's hum Birdcage? Heavy drinking indeed:ok:

Capt Coco
3rd Jun 2008, 02:57
I think they do say ORD base and 777 at the interview compadre.

But after your 9 months Vacation at Ropongi:}......they say it is a ORDkinawa base and 777 yes.....but wet lease:eek:

Lil Bro
3rd Jun 2008, 05:31
Any of you guys going to be in Tokyo between june 12 and 20? I'd love to buy you a beer and say hello.

777birdcage
3rd Jun 2008, 08:16
The ORD base is a joke, and I posted here as such...

The 777F is based on the "Company Business Plan" emailed to those of us who actually work at AJV 3 weeks ago.

The ACMI will begin next year, so unless they planning to lease from Air France, it will not be 777s on lease but rather 747-400s which AJV mgt. is openly talking about...

This is the "Plan".. Might turn out to be Cessna Caravans based on Midway Atoll...

About the dead-heading..: Much of our flying starts and ends in Kansai, and we are NRT based so it often requires 3 bus rides and a short plane ride to get there.. It sucks, and they would like to base people in KIX, but that would probably suck more under the current offer of basically nil.

You give me way too much credit if you think I have the equipment or the know-how to post my roster.. he he he

This month, I have a 9 day US trip, 2 Asia turns with the first one starting in NRT and the second ending in NRT with a day off in KIX (No dead head) followed by an over night Shanghai turn ending in NRT (1 dead head) then off the rest of the month.. I think flying about 40 hours or something. I would assume most rosters are similar, but they can vary greatly if you have training events and so on..

Just go to the Jet Lag or the Barge when here.. Any time after 12 noon, you can't swing a dead cat without finding a AJV or AJX guy.. or just be real quite and listen for the bitching!! :} joking, well sort of....

PM me if you have more questions...

Go Sun Devils..!

Lil Bro
3rd Jun 2008, 15:35
Jet Lag and Barge are near NRT? I don't know them. I'll be staying in Ginza.

Absolutely
3rd Jun 2008, 15:47
Yes, Jet Lag Club and the Barge Inn are in NRT.

Just to back up 777Birdcage. We have been advised officially by the company that there will be NO North American Base for the fore-seeable future. The contract companies should not be pushing it still. If they are they are lying.

2 wet lease, probably 747-400's, will start next year to take over North American routes as the 767 is always full. The 767's will be put onto their Asian hub out of Okinawa. AJV will maybe get a large aircraft from 2012. That's yesterdays plan anyway.

B777300ER
4th Jun 2008, 05:31
Birdcage...I get it...haha...

For the AJX/V guys, is it true you guys are getting a "significant" payraise come later this summer??? Or is it just another rumor??? Just curious.

Capt Coco
4th Jun 2008, 06:40
"significant" payraise come later this summer???

ahh......funny one I heard from a couple of the guys at TI & RH farwell drinks the other night at the Barge, was that AJV were getting a $20 payrise and AJX almost matching!?!? hahaha......oh well:(
Another day another rumour.......someone asked the office the other day when will they announce it "maybe we can start a rumour soon"?!?!?!:ooh:

777birdcage
4th Jun 2008, 17:08
We are getting a raise.. to be announced in June, and in effect in August.. "Significant" is quite doubtful, but we will see.. fingers crossed..

My understanding is that AJX is getting a pay cut, and moving to CRJs to make some pilots more comfortable, but that could be a rumor...

:8

oldhasbeen
4th Jun 2008, 21:34
you might want to cross more than your fingers:ugh::mad:

Lil Bro
5th Jun 2008, 04:29
What secrets should I know about the sim portion of the interview? Seems like they want you to memorize the entire 28 page review.

oldhasbeen
5th Jun 2008, 08:26
secret??..... memorize the whole 28 page review:eek:

Lear70
5th Jun 2008, 09:08
What secrets should I know about the sim portion of the interview? Seems like they want you to memorize the entire 28 page review.
Ummm... yes. And?

It's not a lot to remember if you break it down into individual parts and maneuvers. I covered this in my interview eval about 4 or 5 pages back.

If you think THAT is a lot of information, maybe you should skip it altogether. Your training is 7 months long, and damn near EVERYTHING is committed to memory, including the JCAB FAR's. :suspect:

Jobear
5th Jun 2008, 23:19
I'll sell my Japanese radio Lisc to the highest bidder, pun intended.

Jobear

Lil Bro
6th Jun 2008, 04:14
I'm starting to get scared. What should scare me more, screwing up the sim or getting a job offer?

meguro
6th Jun 2008, 06:26
Guys', it really is not that difficult, this is not a moon shot! Take it easy, have few Sapporos', and do it as you are asked to do in the 28 pages of notes. If you're coming for evaluation, a quick run in a 76 sim wouldn't hurt. The way ANA see it; you've been given the notes to prepare and they will judge your ability to be trained on this simple exercise. If you can't do what they asked you to prepare for, how can you expect that they are going to employ you for six months of training?
Don't make the mistake of getting on the plane over here and start reading your sim notes. The first sentence says, if I recall, "the sim evaluation is conducted on the basis that you know this material"

ANA's approach is a little more holistic, whereby they consider all aspects of your skill, ie your ability to learn the notes. A common mistake is to show up thinking that it is purely a manipulation exercise, it's not, it's your whole approach.

Now get the Dominican to tell you how tough training is...........................not (My Borat joke)

The Dominican
6th Jun 2008, 13:12
[quote]ANA's approach is a little more holistic, whereby they consider all aspects of your skill, ie your ability to learn the notes. A common mistake is to show up thinking that it is purely a manipulation exercise, it's not, it's your whole approach.

Now get the Dominican to tell you how tough training is...........................not (My Borat joke) [quote]

Best example is that my dumba$$ passed..................................!!!!!!!!!!!!:}

Guys, don't sweat the evaluation just give them a sense that you are a well rounded pilot because this is all they want to see. As Meguro said, they are not going to burn you if you drop couple of hundred feet, lose 10 kts on the speed or make a wrong selection on the MCP and the thing starts to do something you didn't want it to do (like on my sim eval) now, if you just sit there with a "deer in the headlights" look to you and don't commit any aviating then you will fail. But if instead you disconnect the A/P while steering the aluminum tube to where you want it to go while at the same time using your PNF to correct the problem and engage the A/P again, barking orders like if they were going out of style (God forbid you show some freaking CRM during your interview) That is what they want to see, you are going to be interviewed by folks that have spent over half their lives flying and evaluating people they know they will NOT see perfection flying the contraption since in a lot of cases applicants haven't flown the 76 before but they want to see a PILOT at work AND they want to see your ability to learn their calls and procedures :ok:

Seil Knisaw
22nd Jun 2008, 07:19
There is some AJX/AJV interview info posted at http://japanpilots.19.forumer.com

Capt. John Doe
26th Jun 2008, 08:41
Was "forwarded" the "newly revised" pay rates from a buddy....What a #%$^'n joke. I would have thought a bigger raise - considering the fact that many are looking to bail to other airlines still. The CA's getting higher % raise than the FOs for experience?!?! That's the biggest crock of **** I've seen in this industry. And yeppee, a whole $50 raise in accomodation and $100 raise in perdiem!!!! Wow... But of course, it's only my humble opinion. I still hear it's a pretty decent place to work compared to many others.

ishi59
27th Jun 2008, 00:25
seems like the sneaky buggers have ,once again, acted to true to form. With this "incredible" package, it's going to be a challenge to attract quality guys, who will want to stay. Wait, there's the stampede at the door now, RUUUUUUn for your life, pah!

Lil Bro
27th Jun 2008, 03:11
So what is the new package?

Lil Bro
30th Jun 2008, 05:17
has anyone seen the new numbers?

washington
1st Jul 2008, 10:09
$1000 a month raise for AJX. $600 a month raise for AJV. Per diem goes to $976 a month. Yearly experience pay raise from 1% to 8% depending on longevity. Accomodation allowance is now $550.

NewYawk
17th Jul 2008, 13:38
Hello Folks, I have a JP Express interview in a week, and have found all the intel I need on the sim profile, but finding a list of all the potential tech questions has been interesting. Any suggestions other than pprune and japanpilotsforum ?

VONKLUFFEN
26th Jul 2008, 05:07
:ENew pay rates... Don't look that :}bad? Yes I know... Im poor that is why:ok:
What is the retirement age at ANA Express?

oldhasbeen
27th Jul 2008, 06:46
When you've paid off your third wife's mortgage, Merc convertible and the pool guy for getting the silly wench off your hands!!:mad::mad:

dhc-6
31st Jul 2008, 13:01
Hi guys, and gals.

I have an interview next week-ish with AJX. I am terrified by this BMI thing on the medical... I am a bodybuilder (well, not as good as I would like to be) but still I love lifting weights. So, in order for me to get my BMI under 30, I would have to saw off a leg.

Now, I am working on getting my bodfyfat percentage down to 15-12% but that just ain't gonna happen in ten days.

So basically my question is: while I know I am ok by JCAB's rules (I checked) , will AJV/AJX follow that guidance or stick to their guns.. which would be bad for me.

Anybody with any insight, help would be greatly appreciated!

DHC-6

The Dominican
31st Jul 2008, 15:40
If you were invited to the interview and they are paying for airline ticket, hotel, sim after you reported your BMI to them (by reporting your height, weight during the application process) It seems to me that you should be concentrating in your sim profile and not the profile in the mirror

Good luck

Airbusjim
4th Aug 2008, 07:18
I have an interview on aug. 7th and would like the chance to buy somebody a beer who works for JP so I can get your thoughts on working there. So if your gonna be around on the 6th, let me know. Thanks.

Pontius
4th Aug 2008, 10:27
Airbusjim,

You might be lucky if one of the AJV boys is doing a sim (so going to the same building as you'll do the interview and sim ride) but, basically, the nearest AJV contacts to your pre-screening hotel are the guys going through the course (so have little idea of what it's like actually doing the job and living the life). The 'real' AJV pilots will either be away working or will be in NRT or KIX. Those going through the course are in the Mitsui Gardens Hotel in Kamata and this is normally where you'll find those doing a sim as well. I have no idea how you'd go about contacting one of them but a great test of your initiative, I'm sure :ok:

Good luck with the screening process.

Iflyfr8
5th Aug 2008, 14:10
The specs I received from Parc state under days off " Basically 10 day consecutively free of duty per month plus commuting days." Does anyone know what this means? Do you commute on your own time or are you given a day to commute? Does anyone have any experience commuting from the US? If so where do you commute from? How difficult is it?

Also, any information regarding US taxes would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The Dominican
5th Aug 2008, 16:29
I have no idea how you'd go about contacting one of them but a great test of your initiative, I'm sure

Barge Inn or Jet Lag club in Narita any day of the week you will find one of us good for nothing drunks there:}

777birdcage
6th Aug 2008, 02:20
In AJV (cargo) we get 11 days in a row per month off.. It is your option to use vacation days in addition to the 11. Our commute is done on your time..

Many of us commute to the USA.. No problem at all.. You have a choice of a company paid business class ticket or $2,000 every month. Plus, we have ZED tickets if you want too.. Everyone has their own "System" but I buy a coach ticket, and then use miles to upgrade on the flight.. Works great for me, and I make about $300-500 per month, and fly non-stop..

Taxes will vary depending on where you live.. I assume you are American, so assuming you are not out of the country enough to qualify as an Expat, you are responsible for paying taxes like anyone else.. Of course, you can use all of the deductions associated with overseas living and travel..

BC

dmswede
10th Aug 2008, 14:11
Hi Guys,

Having an interview on the 14th of Aug. Can anyone advise what to expect after training is complete how things are vs what is presented by agency? Got family in the states and was planning to commute, but are there any viable alternatives?

thanks

Iflyfr8
10th Aug 2008, 17:29
For guys getting interviews....

How much time do you have? Captain or FO interview? Parc or HACS? Rated or non? How long after submitting application did you get the call for interview? Any new gouge?

Thanks in advance.

VONKLUFFEN
22nd Aug 2008, 00:11
anybody out there?

Now that the option is there to get the visa and live in Japan , how much is the tax?
Can we bring the family along?
11 days plus ? how many from annual leave can be added?
How many nights spent in Osaka?
Any one flying after 60 years of age?
Read once that they might move the base to Okinawa?
After discounting the OIL price chaos and once it becomes normal ( we all hope) what are the plans for the cargo operation?
Did all the already hired get a pay raise also or only the ones with new T&C?
Anything you would like to add is welcomed.
Happy landings

Park n Shop
26th Aug 2008, 03:01
Hi guys, Who is the best to deal with Parc or Crew?
Whats involved in the 6 months training?
They now mention Command Upgrades has anyone done one or is it lip service?
My info from both companies says
"Basically 10 days consecutively free of duty per month plus commuting days".
Then it says 24 vacation per annum.

So the way I read it is, 10days off at my house per month plus a day either side to commute.
and
24 days vacation per years accure at a rate of 2 days per month.

Any comments please.:confused:

esprit
26th Aug 2008, 13:15
I went thru HACS and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are always around to answer questions.

You commute on your days off. Most guys add their 2 vacation days onto this to give them more time at home.

Yes, you can expect to upgrade sometime into your first contract, at least thats what they are telling everyone.

ESPRIT

Pontius
26th Aug 2008, 13:41
Vonkluffen,

Sorry, can't answer your first two questions as everybody I know is a commuter. The agencies pay your salary and it's up to you to sort out the tax. If you're from the US of A then Crew/HACS (whatever you want to call them) have a good understanding of the American tax system and they tax the bits that need to be. Everybody else makes their own arrangements in accordance with the law of their lands. So that leads to the 'bringing family bit'; haven't a clue (useful aren't I :ok:)

AJV (cargo boys) get 11 days off per month. AJX (pax boys) get 10. To those days you can add, if you wish, the 2 days of leave you get per month. You can, of course, save your leave and 'spend' it in bigger chunks.

At the moment, AJV are spending most of their time in KIX, or away on trips to and from KIX. The Company are offering to pay for all accommodation, rather than when you're only on company business, if you take a KIX base. This means you get to keep all of the money you get paid for accommodation each month ($550). The NRT based pilots have to pay for their accom whilst in NRT (and not on standby) and yo can reckon on 4/5 nights per month....ish...approximately....about. You can still retain NRT as your commuting base i.e. to fly to and from home but your base would not be NRT. All depends on your feelings about the environs of KIX and NRT.

There's a few heading the 60 way but I don't know about >60. The Company has a policy for those over 60 flying with other 'more experienced in life' chaps, so I assume it can be done; I just don't know if it is or not. I'm just far too polite to ask :}

Plans!! Crystal balls, rumours and wishful thinking abound, as in any airline. AJV now has 6 B767 freighters and is getting 5 more. The Company has set its business plan and seems just about as steady as any airline could ever be. Rumours talk of possible wet lease of 744s while they firm up the future of the 'stuff' going to the USA and sorting out a handling agent for the cargo. This would mean the loss of the ANC/ORD trip for a couple of years, as the Jumbo does the work. After that the smart money seems to be going on 777 freighters and the ANC/ORD (or, more likely, ORD) coming back 'in house' and flown again by AJV with 10 added to their aircraft. Time frame suggests 6ish years but luckily this is a rumour network, so you can't sue me if it all turns out to be complete garbage.

Everybody is on the new pay/remuneration package.

G'day Park n Shop,

Personal choice, obviously, but might I suggest Parc as the choice for those living in Godzone. There are those in Oz who use Crew and they're very happy with them, it's just that Crew seem a bit more US based, whereas Parc seem to deal with Europeans and Stralians pretty well. Overall, they are as good as each other (and their reps are just as friendly with the competition's clients as their own) but I think most Aussies would agree with me about Parc being the preffered choice for you......now you see how flamed I get :O I would, however, suggest you stick to one of those two agencies!

Training: Air Law groundschool before sitting the JCAB Air Law exam (no, reallly, it's great). A spot of Radio groundschool before sitting the Radio theory and law exams (far more enjoyable than previous groundschool). A bit of CRM, Dangerous Goods etc and then 767 'Systems' groundschool (all computer-based training). If you're type rated you get a shorter course. After/during that you do some fixed-base sims, learning the ANA SOPs etc (again, type rated get a shorter course) and then it's into full flight sims. If you're not type rated you have 2 sim tests. The first is for your type rating, the second for your JCAB ATPL. If you're type rated you just get the ATPL check. The sims revolve around the JCAB tests. After another lovely flight physical you get to go home for a bit (10 days ish) before starting your OJT/route training, whatever you want to call it. Another month is then spent in groundschool (with an occasional sim thrown in), learning the vagaries of the various airfields into which you'll operate, before you finally get your hands on a real 767. Capts do about 20-30 legs, FOs do about 15-24legs. The capts then get another chance to do 'battle' with JCAB, when they have their route check, whereas the FOs have an 'internal' test. Then you get to go home again before returning and flying the line in your normal time on/time off arrangement.

No lip service, FOs get to upgrade after 3-3.5 years (in AJV, can't speak for AJX). AJV is very 'captain heavy' and it's normal for 2 captains to fly together, switching legs as PIC. The Company has no problems at all with having more capts, so FOs DO get to upgrade and they just accept the fact that they don't have very many FOs.

See above for time off. The Company are very understanding that people don't want to waste their time off commuting and are normally very good at scheduling, according to the time of arrival on your first day of work from Oz (or wherever) and, also, the day you want to go home (i.e. getting tou back in time for the evening flight etc).

Now, if this things doesn't post when I've typed all this drivvle I'm going to cry and stamp my feet ;)

Absolutely
27th Aug 2008, 17:17
Park n Shop,

What Pontious said about commuting is not exactly correct. If you live in Australia or NZ then the schedule works out OK so you can generally arrive in Japan on your first day of work and depart on your last day of work. But for North Americans and especially some of the European guys they continually get shafted and can't leave Japan until the next day. Usually they are on STBY on the last day and the company won't change the STBY times so they can leave on the lunch time flights home. Being on STBY on the last day of work is purely a draconian way of stopping guys from going home early when there is no work for them that day. There is no way they will ever call a guy out on STBY on his last day of work.

As for your comment of commuting days either side of the AJV 11 days or the AJX 10 days off - they do NOT exist. Not sure where you got commuting days from. 11 or 10 is all you get. You commute to and from Japan in YOUR own days off!!!

Pontius
27th Aug 2008, 23:08
Absolutely is absolutely correct, so apologies is I give the wrong impression. I assumed from the location that Park n Shop would be commuting from Oz, in which case the flights usually do work out well, as do standbys etc. In the other cases please take Absolutely's advice when considering the commute (and it being in your time) but you can use your leave each month to add one or two days to your time off if you wish.

VONKLUFFEN
28th Aug 2008, 06:02
Thanks Pontius. Clearer picture now.
PS Check your messages.

SouthernMostFlyer
30th Aug 2008, 15:28
Good day gents,

New to this side of the world...sort of...well, at least to this site. Quick question please:

I am with CReW, and am scheduled for an interview from 22-27 Sep with the AJX side of the house. Goods and bads from what has been posted here, I know....but from my perspective, it really looks like one of the better contract programs going. I'm intruiged to say the least...and for the most part, it sounds as if most the folks don't mind the program?

Reading back on this thread....I want to ask:

1. Understand you can go through the whooole process, do well, pass, get the thumbs up.........and not get the job?? WHOA...how many guys has THIS happened to??

2. Does anyone have any trip reports or info regarding the technical interview and sim? Heard there's an academic test too? I was sent a small packet of helpful info, some sim stuff....some jepps plates but not a real profile from what I can tell....and various questions for the interview....just want to make sure there isn't anything more out there?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate any helpful replies. I can pay in beer while I'm there...

Cheers,

robbopilot
31st Aug 2008, 01:24
Southernmostflyer,

Would you mind sharing your background and times. I just applied and although I meet the mins I do not have any wide body time. I have about 3000 hours as an FO on a CRJ and my only comand rating is in a citation. Anybody else in the know feel free to chime in.

777birdcage
31st Aug 2008, 03:36
Hey man.. I have not really heard of anyone who passed the screening, medical, shrink etc., and not get hired.. I guess there is some talk of guys being hired into some sort of pool, but that should not be the norm.. I am on the cargo side of the house and have had two buddies interview and pass recently, and both were offered classes later in the year..

As far as the interview, the tech thing is relatively new.. Word is it is questions from the US ATP written.. I wouldn't be too worried about it as the Sim remains the MAIN and most important part of the interview.

Hope it helps..

BC

robbopilot
31st Aug 2008, 03:54
Hey guys,

Anyone getting hired without wide body time. I meet the mins but most of my time is in the right seat of a CRJ and my only comand type rating is in a citation. I would reaaly like to get this job as it would allow me to move back to NZ.

Cheers

meguro
31st Aug 2008, 05:19
For Robbo, Yes pilots have been hired without the wide body time and yes there are CRJ guys here. If you want the job, study the sim profile carefully. If you want more details you can PM me.

Nalo
31st Aug 2008, 14:39
Word from management is that no more CRJ drivers will be taken as DECs, so as F/Os maybe you have a chance. Good luck and study that sim profile to the letter!

robbopilot
1st Sep 2008, 14:07
Thanks for the input guys. I guess the first hurdle is getting an interview with the flood of Boeing drivers being dumped on the market by US carriers.:ugh:

777birdcage
1st Sep 2008, 20:40
Robbo,

Don't get to wrapped up in so many Boeing guys on the street.. I have had 2 friends interview with MD-11 time and A320 time only.. Doesn't seem to be a deal breaker especially with recommendations.

It's a shame about the CRJ thing.. Truely screwed a few of my buddies trying to come on due to the increase in the PIC requirement.. Many guys from the military or long-time major don't have it now!!

SouthernMostFlyer
1st Sep 2008, 20:42
Tru DAT...

Quick interview-simulator question please:

The handout they give you to study refers to speeds in the vref+40, +60, etc.

Is it simple enough to say that if the weight of the aircraft never changes from start to finish ( at least thats what the CReW handouts infer...) would it be safe to just know the speeds and order them set accordingly....if not, is there the standard weight/speed card that you can refer to...or do they expect som sort of basic knowledge of what it should be prior to the sim...? Am I stressing....uh, thinking too much?

DIFFERENT path...

I have read thru as many posts on the ANA program here, and for the most part, I must conclude that the majority of comments/posts are all on the positive side of the scale. This, to say the least, is a bit refreshing...but I'm a glass half full kind of person anyway.

Interview/ops/schedule/days off aside......................................
How are the trips?

Crews typically get along? My background has dealt with a very large group of unhappy and bitter pilots.....it would be ammmaaaazzzinnggg to find a place where that was the exception and not the rule.

Usually 2 pilots or are the legs long enough to warrant more?

And most importantly...layovers! Good? Rockin? Crazy awesome? Crappy?

Flight attendants hot?

They mingle with the pilot types on layover or is that taboo?

Best layover? WORST layover?

THANK YOU for all on this site for posting all of this information. I appreciate all of your insight.

The Dominican
2nd Sep 2008, 02:26
Kind to think of it, I did go through after him. Maybe my dumb ass messed everything for you guys. Sorry:eek:

777birdcage
2nd Sep 2008, 02:30
I am going to ignore the other post and respond to Southern..

To your first question, the answer is simply YES..
Yes, there the weight should remain constant at 260k
Yes, there is a speed card right in front of you, and the CDU based on current or set weight
Yes, you are thinking too much.. he he he.. Its all good as the Sim is key.

I can only speak for the Cargo side of the house when it comes to layovers..

I know the the PAX guys have fun but it normally involves sheep, hot oil, WW2 uniforms, and Nick Cave records, so I guess if that's your thing...

For us, we have been known to have a bit of fun in ANC, ORD and (umm, umm) BKK. Sadly, I think the legal bills piling up from ANC have tamed everyone a bit, but there is still fun to have..:E

As far as crews getting along.. Like anywhere you go, we have a few tools. But 99% of the time, guys get along well... be it on trips or hanging around in Japan.. Best group of guys I have ever worked with, truely.. (Yes, I am the tool.. he he he)

As for our flight attendants, what can I tell you.. If you are into bondage, bubble wrap and hot "boxes" you will love it... (We are cargo:8)

Hope it helps..

BC

E165
2nd Sep 2008, 13:37
...And yes, you can blame the Dominican for the "demise" of the RJ drivers here. :* Just kidding dude.

With the screening, as long as you don't crack any Japanese/Asian jokes during the interview and do really well on the sim, you guys should be alright. The medical and the psychological tests shouldn't be that difficult - well, unless you're really, really overweight, had any type of eye surgery (ie lasik), and have a history of admission to the mental ward.

The layovers at AJX are pretty good. Depends on how you make of it. We only have 3 so far. The girls will go out during layovers, but not every time. And they can range from hot to ugly, but majority of them are hot and not overweight and they seem to giggle a lot. :confused: One of the China day trips, you will average 9+ hours block. And on HNL trips, flight time will exceed 8/9 hours especially during the fall and winter months on the westbounds (still 2-pilot crew).

Otherwise, like Birdcage and the others said, it's a laid-back job and the majority of the pilots do get along fine, except for....I'll just stop here.

The Dominican
2nd Sep 2008, 17:39
I know the the PAX guys have fun but it normally involves sheep, hot oil, WW2 uniforms, and Nick Cave records, so I guess if that's your thing...

HEY! Not very nice going through my overnight bag man:=

777birdcage
2nd Sep 2008, 20:15
Truth be told, I did not go through your bag, I just saw you and a small Danish man getting searched in Customs.. :=

he he he

Capt Coco
4th Sep 2008, 16:43
I guess it would depend where our comapdre just got in from.......they could find anything in his bag:ok:

aeflight
18th Sep 2008, 16:42
first post. i have an interview in OCT
Any new news or rumors?
read the whole forum. thanks for everyones input great stuff
Thanks

777birdcage
19th Sep 2008, 05:21
Just read the minutes from our recent pilot meeting with the company, and it sounds pretty quiet.. Airplane #6 comes soon, and a couple of new Asian cities, as well-as ICN layovers, that's about it for now!

Goodluck with the interview!

BC

The Dominican
21st Sep 2008, 10:36
Recent changes on the interview!!!!!!!!!!!! A pilot that I have been in contact with just passed his interview:D and posted this comment on another site

"Day one- Medical 4.5 hours

Day two- Written test, MMPI, Board Interview and SIM.

Seems to be a change in the Board Interview. Have read and been told pretty light on the technical side. Not the case anymore. A good 15 minutes on , turbulence, de-icing procedures, Jepp Charts, ICAO holding procedures, RVSM, Class B, G, D airspace."

Brush up on that info and good luck:ok:

VONKLUFFEN
21st Sep 2008, 13:28
I'm so ignorant , what is MMPI? P+PH2RTNAKAA.PAT2AT:confused:
= Pilots and people have to realise than not all know all abbreviations. Please try to avoid them. Thanks :ok:

orangutan
21st Sep 2008, 19:44
MMPI= Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory.
You can thank Northwest Airlines for inventing this absurd psych test which now seems to be broadly used by many airlines. There is no studying for this long and tedious affair--your personality is what it is. Not to worry however, most people pass, even some real nutcases, which attests to its effectiveness. ANA/JP Express seems to be doing a far better job of picking good guys by their own judgement than they could hope to do by relying on this goofy test.

VONKLUFFEN
21st Sep 2008, 20:41
TUVM!=Thank you very much!:)

777birdcage
21st Sep 2008, 23:04
Well, trust me, it hasn't eliminated all the nut cases here!! :} or at Northwest for that matter! he he he

orangutan
22nd Sep 2008, 20:32
That's for sure BC--I can vouch for the fact we had some real beauties at NWA. Haven't met too many nutjobs at AJV yet--though perhaps that means I'm one of them!

flyin74
24th Sep 2008, 19:44
Does anyone know if medical re-checks are unusual and if it ultimately becomes a disqualifier for the job. I had to do a re-check last week and my doctor said everyting looked great. I am waiting to hear the results from the contract company. Thanks for you help!

orangutan
24th Sep 2008, 21:06
Two guys from my group of four had to do re-checks. One got the job and the other one didn't. However, I think the one guy that didn't make it was not selected for other reasons besides the medical. So it's not necessarily a deal killer. Good luck to you, I know the wait can be agonizing.

flyin74
24th Sep 2008, 21:09
Thank you very much for the info.

777birdcage
24th Sep 2008, 22:11
According to the Contract People, re-checks are the "Norm".. So do NOT lose faith, especially if your doctor said all was well.. The paperwork he or she sends back is exactly what Tokyo will read..

Hope everything works out for the best and to see you online!

BC

ps: Has the shrink called you?? Normally, when he calls you can rest assured all of your medical checks are fine...

flyin74
24th Sep 2008, 22:41
I talked to the shrink when I did the rest of my medical in JFK. Again, thanks for the information.

crj705
25th Sep 2008, 09:17
I had to do a recheck on my eyes after my initial medical. Apparently, the machine that was used on me was not exactly what they wanted, so I had to do it again. They are very specific on what they want and I don't think rechecks are too unusual.

flyin74
25th Sep 2008, 11:40
My recheck was an eye exam as well. Hopefullly, I will hear something soon. Its only been about 6 weeks since my initial exam and it seems like it takes 7-8 weeks before you hear the final results. Thank you for the reply.

flyin74
5th Oct 2008, 16:26
I was curious if anyone talked with a Psychologist during your physical or if the only time you had contact with him was when he called you. I did my 2-day physical in JFK and talked with him personally, but haven't gotten a phone call. I interviewed in the middle of August.

crj705
5th Oct 2008, 16:38
I did my medical in JFK and my experience was the same as yours. They had a psychologist and psychiatrist that met with me at the medical center. No phone calls.

atldrvr
22nd Oct 2008, 14:53
Question for you guys on the PARC contract. Do you know if the medical insurance covers your spouse and kids? If not, can you add them to the insurance for a fee?

Thanks

middlepath
22nd Oct 2008, 21:04
ALTDRVR

Why dont you ask directly with PARC that would be more reliable.

Martin VanNostrum
23rd Oct 2008, 07:02
Your family is not automatically covered by Parcs medical insurance (Bupa) but they can be included for a fee.

jtg76
23rd Oct 2008, 19:46
read the entire post, great info. just wondering if anybody has an update on the screening, and looking for a sim partner to prep down in MIA - 2 people GREATLY reduces the cost, PM me if interested

The Dominican
24th Oct 2008, 01:46
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/foreign/29420-ana-jpexpress-air-japan-11.html

Recent interview experience there, good luck:ok:

jtg76
24th Oct 2008, 20:07
hey thanks! much appreciated!

Geebz
30th Oct 2008, 22:44
So what are the PIC hour requirements for ANA Cargo for the Captain position? I looked at all 24 pages of this thread but couldn't find the answer. The Parc website says 3000 PIC commercial jet then in a two line later line it says Command Type Rating (737/A320).

That implies any PIC jet will work so long as you have a command TR.

I have 2900 PIC jet and a 737, 757, 767. Most of my PIC Jet time is in RJs the rest is B737. All 757/767 is SIC (2000 hrs). PIC total is around 6,000. TTL time is 8800.

orangutan
31st Oct 2008, 20:30
Yes, you are right; any jet PIC time will work as long as your type rating is in a heavier aircraft. However, they tend to be absolutely inflexible about the 3000 hours, even being just 100 hours short means that you do not meet their requirements for captain. I was in a similar situation and ended up deciding to take the FO job, with the promise of upgrade opportunity in a few years. Still better than anything I could have gotten in the states. Good luck to you.

Jobear
31st Oct 2008, 20:35
Any retreads come thru Dom?

jobear

The Dominican
31st Oct 2008, 21:53
Nice to hear from you Jobear

Not that I know of but then again on the line we only get sporadic news from the "school house" quite a bit of furloughed guys coming thru these days

Hobbit
2nd Nov 2008, 07:47
For those of you with an interview A colleague and I were lucky enough to get the call for interview. These are our experienes:
Most of the information about the simulator profile is pretty accurate. Somebody did ask about the speedbug settings for landing; 2 bugs on VREF, 1 bug on 170KIAS, 1 bug on 210KIAS and the final bug on 250KIAS. Hope that helps.
For the 15 question written quiz there were a number of questions about safety equipment; where the megaphones are kept in the cabin and something about life preservers and whistles. There was a question about the location of the core of a jetstream and some strange American centred questions about IFR delays and terminology involved.
The interview itself was with a panel of 5, three training captains and 2 men from HR. The usual 'why ANA?', 'what do your family think about it?' all asked in a very polite and gentle way with lots of writing by the interviewers. The technical questions we were asked included: the 3 requirements to continue an NPA, when to abandon a TO and questions about being go-minded, runway lighting distances and adjustments to landing minima, runway illusions, your role as an FO, hydroplaning and preparing for a flight into icing.
Hope that helps with the preparation. The sim session itself is outstanding and the 767 is wonderful to fly. They give you a full hour and a half with an auto-coupled ILS and a visual approach to practice before you do the assessment. One point not mentioned in the documentation is that they like you to wait until the flaps are set before calling for checklists. The SOP calls for starting timing on the visual is 'time in' and for completion of the leg is 'time up'. In order to keep within the required 2 miles of the runway on the visual set PROG page 2, you will be on a closing track, when the XTK gets to 3nm start the turn onto downwind and you will be nicely set up. On the VOR approach they want you to wait until there is a half scale deflection on the VOR needle before calling for LNAV. They also want you to do an old fashioned dive and drive NPA. So when established on the inbound course descend to 460 feet using VS 1000fpm reducing to 300fpm for the last couple of hundred feet.
Most of all try to enjoy the experience, its not often you get the opportunity to pole a widebody jet around the circuit!!!

littlejet
5th Nov 2008, 17:33
I usually live half year in US and another half in Europe.
Is AJV/AJX flexible on providing C class ticket with destination depending on where I live at the time?

46mph
5th Nov 2008, 17:51
Anybody willing to post the interview experience of airlinepilotforums.com?
The administrator bans my ip address.

captplaystation
5th Nov 2008, 19:01
Had the same problem for a day. Next day it was fine :ok:. . . Bizarre.

orangutan
5th Nov 2008, 19:45
Shouldn't be a problem littlejet. If nothing else, you could opt to take the $2000 travel allowance instead of the C class ticket. That way you could buy your own ticket and commute to/from any place you want.

The Dominican
5th Nov 2008, 20:38
Anybody willing to post the interview experience of airlinepilotforums.com?
The administrator bans my ip address.

There it is:ok:

Just got back from the interview in Tokyo. I was offered the job pending the medical results. It was a great experience and am looking forward to hopefully joining you guys there in January. They will have a class in November and every other month for now.

As far as the interview process goes it was pretty straight forward like all the previous posts have stated. Plan on leaving for Tokyo on Sunday and staying until Friday. I did the interview and sim on Tuesday, had a free day on Wednesday, and the medical on Thursday. You will know if you have the job offer the night of the interview or first thing the next morning. If you do not get the offer you have the option of staying until Friday or trying to leave early.

The interview consists of the 15 question quiz which, as everyone else has said, appears to come from the ATP question bank. The quiz is not too hard but I would recommend reviewing one of the ATP study guides. There were a couple of questions I might have missed if I had not reviewed. I was told that the better you did on the quiz the less technical questions you will get in the interview. I do not think I missed any questions on the quiz and had only one technical question during the interview.

After the quiz you will spend about an hour in the orientation. Most of the orientation was spent covering the sim profile. They are very thorough and will cover any questions you have. Make sure you know the sim profile, especially the power settings. You do get some practice time before the sim evaluation starts. They will put you on final and do an autoland so you can see what the power settings and view look like on final. You will also do a practice VFR pattern just like the one you will do on the evaluation. I had notes on my approach plates with flap and power settings and other things I thought would be useful during the ride. They offered me approach plates when we got into the sim but said it was ok to use the ones I had made notes on.

The panel interview lasts around 45 minutes and consisted of 3 pilots and 2 HR reps. Like I said before I only had one technical question. What is V1 and V2? They asked me if I had flown up north during the winter, which I have, so I guess that eliminated the cold weather/icing questions. The rest of the questions seemed to focus on how much I wanted the job and did I plan on staying long term. Why do you want to fly for AJV? How does your family feel about the job? Do they know how long you will be away for training? I was there for AJV captain so they asked if I did not get captain would I be willing to accept a first officer postion or a position with AJX? Why AJV as my first choice? Do I think the captain is more important than the first officer?(CRM) Are you prepared for training? What did you do to prepare for the interview? From what city are you going to commute and are there any direct flights? How far do you live from your home airport? They were very friendly and made me feel at ease. It can be hard to understand some of the questions but listen carefully and if you do not understand there is no problem asking them to repeat the question. As everyone else has said, do not rush the answers.

You will also do the MMPI, around 540 questions, while you are waiting for the other candidate to do the sim and interview.

The hotel was just like everyone said. Small rooms and hard beds but overall I had no problem with it. They have a japanese style breakfast in the lobby or you can go next door for an american style breakfast, both are free. There is plenty of food around. A 7-11 across the street. If you take a left out of the hotel, about 1/2 mile down the road is a McDonalds and Dominos Pizza. You will take the Limousine Bus from Narita to Haneda, costs 3000 yen($30). As someone said before, it is a good idea to have a map of the hotel to show the cab driver at Haneda. The hotel has a free shuttle service that runs from the Haneda airport to the hotel starting at 1800 and runs every 15 minutes. When you leave on Friday, the hotel shuttle will take you to the airport, it starts running at 0500 and runs every 15 minutes. The first limousine bus runs from Haneda to Narita starting at 0745 and it takes about an hour. If you have one of the morning flights back to the USA I would recommend taking the 0745 bus and be at Haneda around 0700 to make sure you get a ticket for the bus.

To prepare for the interview I used Gleim's ATP book, Ace The Technical Pilot Interview by Gary Bristow, and printed out everything I could on ANA, Japan Postal, Air Japan, JP Express and Japan in general. I also bought a 767-300 cockpit poster so I would be familiar with the cockpit layout. I used the x-plane flight simulator to practice the approaches. Don't get to caught up in trying to use the 767-300 in x-plane or ms flight sim, as someone stated before, the switches might not be the same or in the same position. Just use the sim to get familar with flying the approaches and practicing the sim profile.

Overall it was a great experience. Have fun and enjoy the opportunity.

46mph
5th Nov 2008, 20:56
Thanks Dominican:ok:

JetMidway
5th Nov 2008, 21:22
Just finished the interview and sim, still in Tokyo waiting to do the medical. The gouge is right on. Don't forget to study up on whatever airplane you are flying because they will ask a couple of questions about it. Low stress interview very nice experience.

OVERPREPARE for the sim. I was lucky enough to have gotten a little bit of time in a sim before I got here, it truly helped. If you can not get into a sim use flight simulator or whatever you can to actually fly the approaches and make call outs real-time. Memorize the pitch and power settings they send you.

Good luck

Hobbit
6th Nov 2008, 19:31
Does anybody know if the pay quoted by Parc is before or after tax? If after what is the current tax rate in Japan please?

atldrvr
6th Nov 2008, 20:16
PARC pays the Japanese taxes

Hobbit
6th Nov 2008, 20:53
Thanks atldrvr. Now just got to wait to see if I get the job offered!

777birdcage
6th Nov 2008, 22:45
Answers to a couple of your questions.. from AJV point of view

No problem having 2 commute destinations as that is what AJV allows. I have ATL and LHR (London) for instance. You can alternate if monthly if you want. We have also had people fly into one place to begin vacation (off time) and out of there second destination. Now you CAN'T choose a different place every month!
he he, I asked!

My understanding is and has always been that we are not subject to Japanese taxes. (on the commute contract) This drives a lot of things here we are told. For instance, the we have to pay for our hotel in NRT, and then the company pays us back monthly. Same with bus / train travel in Japan... Further, we are NOT subject to any USA tax treaty breaks, since no Japanese taxes are paid. Not by us, not by ANA and not by PARC!

Thank You to the folks posting interview gouge. Welcome to the new guys, and I will see you at the PARC welcome party on the 16th and (or) the company party on the 17th!! Hope you like (LOTS!!!) saki!

atldrvr
7th Nov 2008, 00:40
Thanks Dominican for posting the gouge. That was my post on APC. Sorry guys, I thought I had also posted it over here.

No problems on my medical and had the psych interview on Sunday. Nothing to the interview. The psychiatrist has a profile based on your MMPI and just wants to talk to you in person to validate the results of the test. He writes a 2 to 3 page report based on the test and the interview.

How long after finishing everything did it take you guys to get the job offer?

Pontius
7th Nov 2008, 02:58
Hobbit,

Does anybody know if the pay quoted by Parc is before or after tax?

The pay quoted by Parc is BEFORE tax.

Assuming you're going to commute, Parc gets your salary from AJV in US$, which can then be converted to certain other currencies by Parc (GBP & Euro), if you wish. This money then goes straight to the bank account you've specified. It is then up to you to ensure the taxes are paid in your country of residence.

I believe CReW/HACS does it slightly differently, as they are more geared towards the US way of doing things. As I understand it, they take out the US Federal tax and then it's up to the US pilots to sort out state taxes. I've probably got that completely screwed up as I'm neither a US pilot, nor with CReW, and hopefully someone will put me straight on the way they do things. The important thing being CReW do subtract some money before it goes to your bank account, Parc don't.

If you compare the Parc numbers and the CReW numbers you will see, funny old thing, that they add up to the same thing. In other words, both companies' figures are BEFORE tax.....and THEN they work slightly differently.

If you're going to live in Japan then I'm afraid I haven't got a clue but we don't get involved with Japanese tax on the commuting contracts :)

galdian
8th Nov 2008, 22:27
Unless things have changed (and more than happy to be corrected) the whole intent of AJV/X is that they, nor the contract agencies, do not address tax in any way, shape or form.
They give you a sum of money - what you do with it and any tax implications in the world are the SOLE RESPONSIBILITY of the contractor - you.

If you do not have Alien Residency you cannot pay Japanese tax; if you don't pay Japanese tax then you can't apply any bi-lateral tax agreements with other countries around the world.

There are Japanese contracts that pay Japanese tax - AJV/X has NEVER been one of those contracts.

Regards Crew taking out money - could be to put into sperannuation (401K or whatever the Yanks call it), a point of difference between the contract agencies.
Not all contracts are exactly the same. Contractor beware!

Cheers :ok:

JetMidway
8th Nov 2008, 22:32
Any one know if the Medical includes a cholesterol check?

Pontius
8th Nov 2008, 23:08
Hi Galdian,

You're spot on with the Japanese versus bilateral tax etc, however, I do believe Crew take out some tax from the pilots' wages, whereas Parc do not (as you no doubt are very aware). I know what you mean about the contractors taking out Superannuation/pension/savings plan/401K (roll up and take your choice of descriptor) money but I was specifically talking about tax being an entirely different debit. I suppose we'll have to wait for one of the US pilots with Crew to let us know the whole story but at least we answered Hobbit's question, i.e. the wages quoted are before tax.

JetMidway,

Oh yes! Full blood works on the medical including HDL/LDL and then they do it all again after you pass your JCAB ATPL sim check. The screening medical is pretty well identical to the next medical but the first is a Company medical, as opposed to the second which is a JCAB medical. The one after the sim check is your first JCAB medical and is the one used to issue your medical certificate. This medical, as I said previously, is very similar to the screening and it, too, includes full blood works.

The Dominican
9th Nov 2008, 01:12
If you are a US citizen working for a US company (as CREW is) they will withdraw federal income tax from your salary and provide you with a W-2 form for tax filings, PARC doesn't have this requirement because they are not US based. I am with PARC and what I do is file my taxes quarterly as an independent contractor (just like a plumber, electrician, construction worker would do)

galdian
9th Nov 2008, 03:49
Hi Domimican

Well things have changed slightly - at least from the pilots point of view.
AJV/X was most attractive to those who had no tax commitments anywhere in the world - whether because all the assets were in the wife's name or registered in a tax haven etc etc; to those the total package was both gross and net.
For interest what sort of % are Crew/HACS withdrawing on behalf of Uncle Sam??
I suppose with the recent influx of yanks things changed a bit.

However the one thing that hasen't changed - AJV/X (or ANA however you want to look at it) do not understand, nor have want or need, to hear the word "tax" in relation to these contracts.

E165
10th Nov 2008, 00:43
If you're with CREW (a US based company) and a US citizen, they are mandated by law to deduct Social Security & Medicare taxes - no way around that. It only comes out to around 3%(?) or so. And the US govt. may have reduced the rate this quarter.

As for your income tax (Federal income tax), it's your discretion. You can specifically tell CREW not to deduct any federal income tax from your paycheck. However, as a US citizen, you are required to "file" and "report" your income every year, regardless of who or where you worked at. But the rate or amount of taxes owed will vary significantly between various individuals. Unlike other countries (ie Australia and many SE Asian countries), Uncle Sam can be slightly more greedy when it comes to collecting tax from its citizens...

Somebody correct me if I'm way off.

galdian
10th Nov 2008, 06:53
E165
That sounds WAY to easy to be correct - so it probably is! ;)

So is it better for a yank to take the contract through Parc or IAC (assuming there are no overt nasties/substantial differences between the contracts offered) - lose nothing from the pay whilst any tax issues become resolved by the pilot and his tax accountant/attorney to the satisfaction (or otherwise) of Uncle Sam??

E165
16th Nov 2008, 03:13
To Galdian: The answer is yes. If you're from the States, you're probably better off with PARC or IAC, as they pay you the whole sum without any deduction from paycheck. However, one thing I think CREW has going for at least the US guys is the health insurance. CREW uses Aetna Global PPO that covers your whole family virtually worldwide with very, very little or no deductible and copay. And CREW will pay 100% of your insurance premium for all your family members. With PARC or IAC, I think they deduct an amount from your paycheck for additional family members or if you want coverage in the States. Maybe someone from the States who's with PARC or IAC can fill me in on this.

galdian
16th Nov 2008, 05:52
Hi E165
From what I have heard you are correct, Parc and IAC cover the direct crew member only, although additional cover for family members is available but make sure you read the fine print of any "additional" policy as seems interpretation can sometimes be flexible or variable.

If the Crew insurance covers all family members within the policy certainly a positive for some.

Of course for those with no such considerations.....:(

xband11
16th Nov 2008, 06:32
Hear it from me and my unforunate personal experience;
CReW medical insurance is outstanding!

jtg76
16th Nov 2008, 07:11
hey all, just got back from Tokyo today, received an offer pending the medical results. all the gouge is right on, thanks for posting it! would like to get in touch with some others in the same position, planning class in march - pm me. also, i would like to talk to some guys who recently started class, just like to get an idea what happens next and when - also trying to gather all the info to decide between AJV vs. AJX.

good luck to all who head out for the interview, quite an experience!

btw, would be a good idea to study V1 VR & V2 and their relationship to eachother, balanced field length, and the relationship between Vref and stall speed - just a suggestion!

Hobbit
16th Nov 2008, 17:25
Well done jtg76, stand by for the telephone call from Dr Craig, it is a little more involved than you may have heard with quite a few questions you may have been anticipating on the interview day. I'm waiting to hear the good news on the medical/psych interview and will hope to go out in June time. Hope to see you there.

reject2121
30th Nov 2008, 18:48
Question for any AJX/AJV pilots out there. I am in the Jan. class in Tokyo and I was wondering if the dress code is pretty formal during training? My previous company was pretty casual so it might be time to stock up on some nice threads.

atldrvr
30th Nov 2008, 23:01
reject2121,

When was your interview and how long did it take for you to get the class date?

I interviewed in early October and have completed everything. Just waiting for the final word and hopefully a class date.

The Dominican
30th Nov 2008, 23:16
Question for any AJX/AJV pilots out there. I am in the Jan. class in Tokyo and I was wondering if the dress code is pretty formal during training? My previous company was pretty casual so it might be time to stock up on some nice threads.

reject2121, I'm glad your screen name wasn't the outcome of your interview, good job! expect to be on a suit and tie until your instructors tell you that an alternate wardrobe is ok, the Japanese are very formal at work and they seem to have been born in a suit so even if your instructor tell you guys that you don't need a suit, they take it the wrong way if you show up in jeans so expect to go through the entire training at a minimum business casual

Good luck during training and I hope to see you on the line soon

reject2121
30th Nov 2008, 23:49
atldrvr,
Interviewed in mid Sept. Heard about class in the beginning of Nov. Hope to see you over there.

Dominican,
Thanks for the info. It seems most who work over there have positive things to say about the operation. I look forward to it.

esprit
1st Dec 2008, 12:27
Training attire is basically your pilot uniform minus the epaulets amd a dark tie.

Espeir

The Dominican
1st Dec 2008, 14:17
Training attire is basically your pilot uniform minus the epaulets amd a dark tie.

This information is correct for all training events once you are certified on the line, during initial training you won't be receiving your uniforms until you are ready for line training

Fratemate
2nd Dec 2008, 01:44
Hi Dominican,

I think he's referring to a 'pseudo uniform', not the official AJV one. Many of the guys now pitch up with previous airlines' shirts and wear those with dark trousers and a dark tie. We all had suits for day one i.e. the orientation but then for air law, radio, systems etc we just had either smart short-sleeved shirts or the airline shirts mentioned above, without ties but with smart trousers. When it was sim time then we smartened up a little by wearing the gear above but now with a tie.

As you say, definitely no jeans in sight but smart casual I think is now the order of the day.

777birdcage
3rd Dec 2008, 16:48
It's up to you guys, but keep in mind, this training is all about the stage production!

"Proper" dress for new-hires who have not had a check-ride is a shirt and tie in the winter, and perhaps a bit more casual in the summer.. All subject to your instructors advice.

If you want to wear old pilot uniforms, fine. Just know, you will be noticed by the Japanese, but nothing will be said. I think it looks disrespectful personally, since you have not earned that right, plus you look like a tool!

For what they are paying you, go to Jos. A Bank and buy a couple $300 suits and look the part!!! This is not Mesa Air!!

My 3 yen worth...

BC

gtseraf
3rd Dec 2008, 20:02
Hello Guys

My 1 yen's worth, that's all I an afford, the yen's too strong;)

We wore a suit for day 1 and for the JCAB sim checks.

The rest of the time it was smart trousers, shirt and tie, no jacket.

Best overdress, than underdress, the Japanese are formal and dress very conservatively. You'll see the standard dress code is dark grey or black, so I'd guess any bright, stand out colours won't go down too well.

As for the uniform, I reckon you have earned the right to wear your old uniform, seeing your previous experience got you this job, HOWEVER, my gut feel would be that it would be better to wear non uniform clothing. Keep it neutral and don't try to stand out.

I agree with 777BC, go spend some money and look good. It will improve your image here, as well as , make you feel good and fit in. If you're a big guy, your chances of finding clothing in Japan to fit you are pretty slim.

Prepare for a cold winter, it gets down to (celsius) below 10 regularly, and if you're starting now, expect to be around in summer, where it can get hot and muggy. Spring last about a day but it is really good!!

The Japanese are generally smart dressers, so smart casual clothes will fit in very nicely for going out during your off time.

Best of luck with it all.

esprit
3rd Dec 2008, 22:18
Since when did it become a right to wear black trousers and the white pilot shirt minus the epaulets? Thats retarded. Its all about blending in and not drawing attention to yourself. This is what everyone wears in the training center, regardless of experience or phase in training. However during phase checks and the JCAB rides the attire is more formal, ie jacket.

Esprit