PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways versus BA

Cricket23
8th Oct 2006, 12:15
Hi,

I have been to Kenya many times with BA, but the group I am going with in Jan '07 prefer Kenya Airways, whom I have always avoided on the basis that if Kenya is a third world countrythen Kenya Airways would be a third world outfit.

Does anyone have any practical experience of them.

In short are they ok to fly with?

Thanks,

C23

Middle Seat
8th Oct 2006, 15:18
Can't say I've head anything about Kenya Airways, but Kenya being a 3rd world operation shouldn't be an automatic dismissal. By the logic you employ,it would mean first world airlines would provide the best services. One only need to look to United to see that that is NOT the case.

apaddyinuk
8th Oct 2006, 16:02
Remember that Kenya Airways operate very modern 777's and recently built 767's. I beleive most of their aircraft have in seat IFE and if Kenyan hospitality is anything to go by then I can only assume that their crew are top notch. Also Kenya Airways is currently trying to place itself as a major regional/international player against the likes of SAA, Ethiopian and Virgin Nigeria. I would seriously keep an open mind on this one and this coming from a BA crew member!

Have a look at these reviews!

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/kenya.htm

routem
8th Oct 2006, 19:13
Cricket. You will enjoy the Kenya Airways experience. I have flown with them a few times now and prefer them to BA. As they are handled by KLM at T4 you also neatly avoid the dreaded BA long queues.

Gouabafla
9th Oct 2006, 08:37
I've flown with KQ numerous times, both from Europe and across Africa and I would have no hesitation doing so again. It's not just that they are far more generous with frequent flyer miles than BA, but I genuinely prefer them as an airline. If you are in the back of the plane, the choice of films on the IFE leaves something to be desired, but that is the biggest complaint I can come up with. Handling by KLM at T4 is probably better than BA's equivalent, but there is no real difference in how things are handled on leaving NBO.

In terms of safety, as far as I'm aware, KQ have a very good record which stands comparison with most major airlines.

Memetic
10th Oct 2006, 16:14
I flew with them in May this year and would happily do so again.

The IFE content was a bit stale, if you do it regulalry it looks like ot only changes a few times a year.

Try it and give us a direct comparison with BA.

Memetic.

min2097
11th Oct 2006, 05:24
Preppy, thats a bit anonymous and harsh. Many airlines have accidents in the past as im sure BA have. Kenya airways know operates a very modern fleet, with very good service and record. Ive flown with them so many times on the London - Nairobi route, i think they are just as good or even better than BA, especially because BA have not operated their newest aircrafts on this route in the past. Its all well and good copy & Pasting a report, i could do the same for many airlines.

Just because its a third world country don't mean you should assume that the airline is crap, im from Kenya and training to be pilot for them hopefully. Don't judge them if you haven't flown them. Hope this helps.

smallfry
11th Oct 2006, 06:28
They are a good airline. They have a long history, starting from the remains of the very respectable East African Airways. They have good management, good Pilots (training of a high standard), and good maintainance. They operate new generation aircraft and the crew, front and cabin, are a friendly bunch. Have a nice flight!

Cricket23
14th Oct 2006, 14:08
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll give them a go.

If I survive the trip,:p I'll write up a comparison between KA and BA.

C23.