PDA

View Full Version : It's why you get road rage.

Keygrip
8th Oct 2006, 05:02
Drove 30 miles along a country lane today - of which some 25 miles was roadworks. Finally arrived at the motorway/highway intersection I needed, turned into the intersection and queued through the toll-booths. On the other side of the toll booths was a police car, blocking the Northbound lane, as the road was closed. No room on that side of the toll booth to do a "180" so all traffic sent South, 8 miles, to the next service station/plaza (but passing 8 "Official Use Only" turns through the central reservation/median on the way.

Carried out the required turn in the service plaza then drove up the North side in a six mile queue to get off the road at the same intesection that I got on at almost an hour ago.

Whilst patiently sitting in the queue of traffic trying to get off the road again, I'm passed by at least 20 vehicles whose drivers think they are too important to wait with everybody else, and drive up the grass alongside the highway. When they see the police cars ahead - they just push back into the queue.

I'd like to know where these drivers get their exemption certificates from that allows them to ignore everybody esle.

I'd also like to know why the police didn't block the road BEFORE the toll booths and the 16 mile detour back to exactly the same place.

After leaving the highway, it was a further 51 miles up that same country road - with all the motorway/highway traffic that was being diverted.

one dot right
8th Oct 2006, 08:24
Hampshire police manage to cause just as much chaos by careful use of matrix signs on the M27.

"QUEUE CAUTION" "50" "40" "END" Fecking idiots, the only queuing is caused by those effing signs!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: TWATS

Krystal n chips
8th Oct 2006, 16:23
Sounds like either (a) the UK Highways Agency have exported their own brand of "expertise" :rolleyes: to Florida---in which case, get ready for more fiasco's -----or (b) as Florida is now so popular with ex pat Brits, you have just been the recipient of the level of stupidity we have to endure every day over here with regard to drivers and their "exemptions". :ugh:

maxburner
8th Oct 2006, 17:04
I was cruising north on the M6 yesterday in, for once, light traffic and good weather. BBC Radio 2 started bleating about severe delays, 17 mile tailbacks and all sorts of doom and gloom. My lady wife got out the maps and started to plot a detour - quicker and more entertaining than the satnav - but something told me to stay on the motorway. Sure enough, we breezed through at a steady 70 (honestly, not 1 mph over the limit) and saw not a sign of a hold-up. Where do they get the information?

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2006, 17:10
From folks like you who want to ensure that others stay off the road, leaving it clear for YOU! :p :ok:

Krystal n chips
8th Oct 2006, 17:20
I was cruising north on the M6 yesterday in, for once, light traffic and good weather. BBC Radio 2 started bleating about severe delays, 17 mile tailbacks and all sorts of doom and gloom. My lady wife got out the maps and started to plot a detour - quicker and more entertaining than the satnav - but something told me to stay on the motorway. Sure enough, we breezed through at a steady 70 (honestly, not 1 mph over the limit) and saw not a sign of a hold-up. Where do they get the information?

You and me both actually---lots of matrix signs saying "queue caution 50,40 etc" ---this about 1500--1700 from Birmingham---and like you say, a few queues---but NO valid reason for them---traffic flowing South was moving OK. Being of a cynical nature, I wonder if "somebody" decided this would be a good time to "experiment" with manual flow control as it where.

Sorry about the thread drift btw.

handysnaks
8th Oct 2006, 17:45
Kristal. I've been using the southern section of the M42 for about 13 years now. I personally think that the 'flow management' system works really well. The traffic both SW and NE bound regularly used to come to a halt due to pure numbers. Especially the M40 and A45/NEC and M6 junctions. It may be frustrating to slow to 40 for no apparent reason, but at least you arre still making progress. That wasn't always the case.:)

Groundgripper
8th Oct 2006, 22:02
You and me both actually---lots of matrix signs saying "queue caution 50,40 etc" ---this about 1500--1700 from Birmingham---and like you say, a few queues---but NO valid reason for them---traffic flowing South was moving OK. Being of a cynical nature, I wonder if "somebody" decided this would be a good time to "experiment" with manual flow control as it where.
By 18:45 they'd moved a bit north, between junctions 16 and 17 actually. Matrix signs read INCIDENT - SLOW DOWN - 50 or some such. No-one took a blind bit of notice and the last sign, right opposite Sandbach services, read END. Of what?:confused:
Continued up into Lancashire and they read THINK - DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.
If they haven't got anything to say, why don't they just shut up and save electricity?:*
Waste of space!
GG

TBirdFrank
8th Oct 2006, 22:21
England - Macedonia at Old Trafford yesterday afternoon

I'll bet Jcn 19 and the A556 northbound were hell until about 16.00, and dead as a doornail afterwards.

Don't know what the excitement was about anyway

PanPanYourself
9th Oct 2006, 06:58
I love threads to do with traffic because I always win. I live in the capital of bad traffic, careless, reckless and inconsiderate drivers. I have been crashed into 3 times, and not once did anybody stop to apologize/share insurance info/get accident report etc.

Istanbul is a very large city spread over two continents, where most people live on the Asian side and work on the European side. So, as you can imagine the traffic crossing from the Asian side over the Bosphorus to the European side at 8am every week-day morning is beyond horrendous (traffic in the reverse direction isn't light either). I happen to live on the European side and work on the Asian side, contrary to the norm. There are 4 lanes going each way on the bridge I take. In a futile attempt to ease the traffic, some dumbshit decided it would be wise to take a lane from those crossing to the Asian side and give it to those crossing to the European side. The trouble with this is it needlessly clogs up the side losing the lane and does absolutely nothing to ease the traffic on the side gaining a lane. Once that extra lane is given back, all those cars have to merge back into the 4 original lanes, which jams things up all over again. This can be compared to a plumber building a long thin pipe, and then widening one small section of it and then expecting more water to be able to pass through it as a result of a widened section. Istanbul traffic is HELL to begin with, and having to suffer an extra half hour or so because of somebody's stupid idea is adding insult to injury.

CarltonBrowne the FO
9th Oct 2006, 08:50
Can anyone explain why I am the only driver (or rider on the days when I use the bike for getting into work) who actually slows down for the 30mph limit on the M4 spur into LHR? Does everyone else know something I don't?

Flying Lawyer
9th Oct 2006, 09:45
CarltonBrowneFOCan anyone explain why I am the only driver .....

People could offer suggestions, some of which might not be polite, but surely you must know deep down why you do it.
If not, the next time, ask yourself: Why am I doing this?

Does everyone else know something I don't?
Maybe they've made a mental note of where the speed cameras are positioned, and are multi-tasking.
ie Driving and watching out for any police cars which might be there.

tiggerific_69
9th Oct 2006, 09:55
yup bout 1530 yesterday,i come onto the M42 southbound to be greeted by a 60 sign,i was only going down two junctions,but it flashed down to 50,then straight back up to 60 again,so for the people who only saw the 50 they all start slamming on the brakes :ugh: and even worse : SUNDAY DRIVERS!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Standard Noise
9th Oct 2006, 10:33
I'm so glad we didn't hire a car when we were over in Orlando the other week, I get angry enough at the tw*ts in this country.

CarltonBrowne the FO
9th Oct 2006, 19:53
Flying Lawyer, I'm doing it because I've only just cleaned up my driving licence again and am trying to maintain the habit of controlling my speed, instead of letting my speed control me. I also can't be bothered at that particular point to check for the presence of a portable speed trap of some kind- for all the difference in time 400 yards at 50-60 instead of 30 would make. I also make sure I do it in the inside lane- I have no interest in obstructing anyone else.
It is not the fact that some other drivers exceed that particular limit that I wonder about, but the fact that everyone does!
It is interesting, however, that you seem to consider the practice of driving slowly for roadworks as in some way objectionable! :confused:

Flying Lawyer
9th Oct 2006, 20:33
Just teasing - I know you're a fellow sports car driver. :)

I slow for roadworks. The only time I find it objectionable is when I have to do it for miles and miles on deserted motorways when the men aren't working but the temporary speed cameras are. eg Long stretches of the M4 for the past year or so.

Grainger
9th Oct 2006, 20:59
What I find objectionable is when there is a ridiculously low limit, like 40 into the cones on a dual carriageway. Think about it for a minute. All those who want to keep their licence, have points already and so on have no choice but to slow down to 40 - almost halving their speed. Meanwhile, your rear view mirror is filling up with 32-ton truck, cement mixer or whatever who has not the slightest intention of slowing down.

Enforcing sudden large changes of speed is a recipe for disaster. An almost factor of two speed differential creates a horrendously dangerous situation. Yet beware the person who, wishing to preserve their life, slows more progressively and enters the limit at 43 miles an hour. Kerrr-ching !!! Another 60 quid and three points please, plus a lecture about children being run over from the sanctimonious brigade.

What the hell am I supposed to do ? Drive through miles of roadworks with no workers with a huge truck 3 millimetres from my rear bumper ? Thanks a bunch that's really safe that is.

What you need for safe driving is the ability to create space around yourself. I don't expect the speed monitors will understand this but far more important than +/- a few miles an hour is having room to manoeuvre. Try doing that when the only thing you can see in your rear view is a mirror image of the letters "ERF".

MY life is being put at risk with these pointless antics and I'm f*cking fed up with it. Stop trying to drive my car by remote control and let me get on with driving safely using my own judgement.