PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of helicopter instructors in RSA?

joyrider
7th Oct 2006, 15:06
Is it just me or are they like hen's teeth these days? Is there any way of getting the info from the CAA? Currently I charge R350 per hour or R1000 per day whichever is higher - maybe it's time to charge more. Any thoughts?

GULF69
9th Oct 2006, 11:43
Hi all,

It is a well know fact that there is a huge shortage of helicopter instructors in South Africa. This might sound silly - but any idea why? I'm not into helicopters, hence me asking... but if there's such a huge demand for heli instructors why don’t we see the demand being met? No interest? Low pay?

Shrike200
9th Oct 2006, 21:10
..excruciatingly high cost to do one's chopper comm, then get an instructors rating?

GULF69
10th Oct 2006, 08:10
Granted, but out of ignorance, isn’t it a fairly well paid job?

Tormas
11th Oct 2006, 04:26
Yip there does seem to be a shortage of instructors in SA,

I know of a couple of Comm pilots who are just too fussy to become instructors, too much like hard work.:ouch:
Their com was too easily reached (paid for by dad or handed on a plate)and they too young to appreciate what they got. (there are still some out there paying for themselves yip then its not easy):ugh:

As for pay, yeah its not bad at all, joyrider - think what you charge is a good rate. remember if you go more, then you might be making it a little more difficult for the guy who dreams of becoming an instructor but cant afford it.:cool: