PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Namibian & Botswanan Licence Conversions

BBN RADAR
7th Oct 2006, 12:18
Hey all,
Got a friend flying over in Namibia right now and I will be joining him there or Botswana soon. He explained to me that as of recently the Namibian government is not doing proper licence conversions, but that they only gave him a permit to fly under his foreign licence (we both have Australian CPLs). This is apparently to prevent foreigners from stealing jobs from the locals. This means that a foreign licence can not be renewed in Namibia and one can not do a Namibian medical every 12 months but rather must get a medical done that applies to the country of origin. Also bi-enniel flight checks as appropriate must be done in the country of origin.

OK, politics aside, I was wondering whether this was now the same in Botswana, or can you still convert your licence there?

I have searched the forums, but the only relevant threads I can find are 4 or 5 years old.

When he was doing his so called conversion flight, it was also necessary for him to do 5 hours of C210 time BEFORE the check ride (Requirement was for retractable & manual prop. pitch control).

Again, is this the same in Botswana?

I found an old thread in which it was first claimed that this was so, but then someone else contradicted the original statement.

Thanks in advance! :ok:

BBN RADAR
12th Oct 2006, 00:48
Hello?

Are there any Pilots based in Botswana that could answer the above questions?

Thanks.

BBN RADAR

jc.bank
15th Oct 2006, 04:43
BBN RADAR,
a month ago i received an e-mail from one of the pilots in Maun Botswana, i was told that all you need is to write an airlaw exam and complete a flight test. also if you'll be looking for a job in Maun you should get a minimum of 5 hours total on a C206 since this is the most common type of aircraft used over there, this way it'll be easier to have the rating endorsed on your licence. btw it doesn't matter whether it's dual or solo as long as it's 5 hours.
If you have more questions about Maun Botswana i know someone who can help you, send an e-mail to: [email protected] this person is helpful and quick to respond.
myself as well will be going to Maun on a job hunt this November, so good luck to both of us!!http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon14.gif

later.