PDA

View Full Version : BMI required to pass Class 1 Medical

christhevan
7th Oct 2006, 10:38
Does anyone know what range your BMI has to be within to pass the CAA class 1 medical?

Cheers

Chris :)

WexCan
7th Oct 2006, 16:32
BMI is a quite unreliable method of assesing someone's fitness and they don't use it for pilot medicals. They will, however, have a look at you and weigh you and let you know if you're fit to fly. As far as I'm aware, being overweight does not disqualify.

christhevan
7th Oct 2006, 17:07
BMI is a quite unreliable method of assesing someone's fitness and they don't use it for pilot medicals. They will, however, have a look at you and weigh you and let you know if you're fit to fly. As far as I'm aware, being overweight does not disqualify.

Thanks very much for your imformative reply :ok:
Cheers!
Chris

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Oct 2006, 20:23
They will, however, have a look at you and weigh you and let you know if you're fit to fly. As far as I'm aware, being overweight does not disqualify.

Check LASORS.

Officially a BMI over 35 requires a closer look by the CFI of your training establishment and a statement that you can reach all the important bits.

christhevan
8th Oct 2006, 10:48
am i correct in thinking LASORS is this;-

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1591

Cheers,
Chris

Professor Plum
15th Oct 2006, 19:37
Chris - Yes, thats LASORS.

Contains all the regulations etc. Not sure if it mentions much by way of medical criteria though.

If youre worried about weight being an issue, the best thing is to call the medical dept at Gatwick and speak to the staff there. Theyre usually very helpful.

gingernut
17th Oct 2006, 15:20
BMI does seem to be going out of fashion as a predictor of health (and disease).

I think I'd be much more interested in your waist measurement.

In terms of your medical, FD seems to have answered your query.

christhevan
17th Oct 2006, 19:06
@ Professor Plum and Gingernut - thanks for the info.. Hopefully i should be within a "normal" weight range for my height by next year, when i hope to get my medical.. :)