PDA

View Full Version : HELP! If this is fraud, it's really elaborate

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2006, 00:23
Sorry to labour the point, but it is getting silly. this doc was e'd to me today and is emblished with all sorts of nice artwork and honest looking faces on important certificates.

A WINDOWS SCREEN POPS UP SAYING fbijobs.com Well, I was thinking of calling them. Not for a job though.

I have made little attempt to conceal my identity, so fellow ppruners, please eat the evidence once examined.

Does the US post office do this? I'm not of course going to send my camera based on this artwork...but just what if she is an honest soul? It would seem to be doing her an injustice.

Just how clever are scammers? Sheeesh, how difficult can selling something be?

Address Verification

The Money OrderSM will be delivered to your contact information below,
Please verify that the name and address (As entered by the buyer) are correct:

Loose rivets
My house

TX ,
United State
my email

If there is a mistake in your address , we like you to email us the correct address to our contact email ([email protected])

Also below is the sample of the money order that will be delivered to you after we have receive the shipment tracking number from you.

If we do not hear from you as soon as expected the payment will be returned back to the buyer.We will be awaiting you to ship the item and mail us the shipment tracking number so that we can send out your money order,with this no buyer can stop payment with a false claim that there is no longer any transaction between the two of you after you might have shipped.We are your mediator,we stand between both the buyer and the seller because we have our name to protect.

USPS Money Orders are safe, convenient, and economical alternative of sending cash through the mail. They can be purchased from any Post Office™ in the United States as well as from any rural route carrier. Postal Money Orders are available up to $1,000 with a daily limit of $10,000 per customer.A current government-issued or state-issued picture identification is required for money order purchases over $3000 in a single day. Other features include:
We required a proper verification for shipment, before mailing the reference number slip of money order.
Domestic Money Orders
*Purchase with cash, debit card, or traveler's check
*Valid for an unlimited period
*Can be cashed at any Post Office or can be deposited or negotiated at your financial institution
*Replace damaged, lost, or stolen money orders
We are proudly supported by...............
FBI Banner
Thank you for using United State Postal Money Order Payments copyright®. We look forward
to serving your online auction payment needs in the future.

Sincerely,
United State Postal Money Order Payments copyright®
Signature Confirmation

USPS MONEY ORDER
CONFIRMED & APPROVED

UNITED STATES POSTAL MONEY ORDER PAYMENT MADE BY DIANA ANDERSON TO WILLIAMS R.BENHAM TO RECIEVE THE SUM OF $885:00 ***APPROVED***

Dollar sign

************************************************************ *************************************
REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE
[email protected]
***ATTENTION***
The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 24 hours of recieving this Payment Confirmation Notification and get to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shipment Verification.
The Money OrderSM will NOT be dispatched or get to your resident until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.
****PLEASE NOTE***
Due to the fact that United States Postal Service processes thousands of orders daily, United States Postal Service RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt dispatch of Money OrderSM. Send shippment tracking details to : [email protected]
Once shipment has been verified, You will receive a " ORDER DISPATCHED" email from United States Postal Service informing you that the Money OrderSM has been dispatched. Included will be the TIME and DATE payment is to be delivered.

Order Status And Informations:
Order Number:
P.O 4564027184
Auction Payments Order Available

Available
Order Placed

6/10/2006
Order Status

Money order Available
Money Order Approved

Money Order ConfirmationNotification
Billing Information:

Processed successfully
Card Type

MasterCard
Card Number

5***********5643
Exp. Date

4/2007
Name on Card

Her name
Street Address

her address
City, State, Zip
Tigard,Oregon,97832
Country

United State
Services Purchased:
Express Payment
Total Amount posted to card

$1,000:00
Auction Payments Fee

$00.00
Money Order Amount

$885:00
Shipped by

FedEx Courier ($50.00)
Purchased Item Information:

Auction site

Craigslist
Item Description
Nikon D50,

Seller Information:

Name
Me again
Street address

City, State, Zip

Country

United State
Phone Number
NIL
Email

Thank you for using United States Postal Service Money Order Payments® ExpressPaymentSM. We look forward serving your Online Money Order Payments® needs in future

Delivery Service**USPS Delivery Post-Man**

ABOVE IS THE SAMPLE OF THE RECIEPT GIVEN TO YOUR BUYER AFTER THE PAYMENT WAS MADE{UNITED STATES POSTAL MONEY ORDER SERVICE}PAYMENT RECIEPT***

Auctionsiteauthorisedregister
************************************************************ ************************************************************ *************************
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT OUR ONLINE CUSTOMER CARE SERVICE AT:- [email protected] THIS IS A VALID EMAIL THAT WILL LEAD YOU TO OUR ONLINE SERVICE ASSISTANT POWERED BY MAIL.COM, OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE PROVIDER.

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE OFFERS PROPER MAILING OF MONEY ORDERS TO THEIR DIFFERENT LOCATIONS.

--

11Fan
7th Oct 2006, 00:55
Rivets,

I would contact Diana Anderson by alternate means (telephone, e-mail - but not by reply or forwarding) to see if she sent you a money order for $885.00.

If she did not, contact the post office, perhaps in person, with a printout of the note for verification.

For further information on Post Office Fraud (and since the post office is mentioned in the e-mail, this may constitute such), you can go to this website.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/

The "Supported by the FBI" banner seems peculiar as well.

If it looks to good to be true......:suspect:

Best of luck,

11Fan

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Oct 2006, 01:01
tsk tsk tsk

It's not elaborate at all

but don't ask me, ask uspostalstandardcustomer at, erm what was it again? oh yes...

post dot com :hmm:

post.com http://www.networksolutions.com/enhancedWHOISImageThumbnail.do?whoistoken=1&rand=1160182719021&method-show=

Certified Offer Service (http://www.networksolutions.com/promotions/ref/coswhoisresults-eai.jsp?dom=post.com)- Make an offer on this domain

SSL Certificates (http://www.networksolutions.com/promotions/ref/wiresults-NetsolSSL.jsp) - Make this site secure

Site Confirm Seals (http://www.networksolutions.com/promotions/ref/wiresults-NetsolSeal.jsp) - Become a trusted Web Site The data in Register.com's WHOIS database is provided to you byRegister.com for information purposes only, that is, to assist you inobtaining information about or related to a domain name registrationrecord. Register.com makes this information available "as is," anddoes not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, youagree that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that,under no circumstances will you use this data to:
(1) allow, enable,or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercialadvertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or bytelephone; or
(2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processesthat apply to Register.com (or its systems). The compilation,repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expresslyprohibited without the prior written consent of Register.com.

Register.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.
=-=-=-=
Registration Service Provided By: NJDomains, Abuse Contact: [email protected]: [email protected] Domain name: post.com

Registrant Contact: NJDomains, Abuse Contact: [email protected] Gerald Gorman ([email protected][email protected]) 9086960929 Fax: none 33 Knightsbridge Rd. Piscataway, NJ 08854 US

Administrative Contact: NJDomains, Abuse Contact: [email protected] Gerald Gorman ([email protected][email protected]) 9086960929 Fax: none 33 Knightsbridge Rd. Piscataway, NJ 08854 US

Technical Contact: NJDomains, Abuse Contact: [email protected] Gerald Gorman ([email protected][email protected]) 9086960929 Fax: none 33 Knightsbridge Rd. Piscataway, NJ 08854 US

Status: LockedName Servers: udns1.ultradns.net udns2.ultradns.net

Creation date: 04 Nov 1998 00:00:00Expiration date: 03 Nov 2007 00:00:00

I bet POST cereals are pissed off they didn't reserve this one in time :}

onetrack
7th Oct 2006, 01:38
It's a scam .. Initially appearing clever, yes .. and initially throwing you, yes as well .. but ....... once you read it right through, it only requires an IQ, a little below a juvenile chimp, to come to the rapid realisation, that it's a scam ..

1. You've never purchased/ordered/ or have been involved in any recent transaction that resembles anything like the item mentioned ..

2. You didn't expect this email .. it came out of left field .. so it deserves the .00005 seconds of time, that its truly worth ..

3. If you click any links in said email .. you deserve whatever you get .. viruses, malicious programs, such as key-stroke logging programs that steal your passwords .. etc etc ..

Keep yourself abreast of scammers, by frequenting sites that warn of scams .. consumer protection sites are usually good .. and warn all your friends, on email and BB, of the drift and content of these scams.
Scammers hate the spotlight, and we beat them by exposing them .. rapidly ..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Oct 2006, 02:15
"Honorable" Rivets ????? :}

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2006, 05:02
it only requires an IQ, a little below a juvenile chimp, to come to the rapid realisation, that it's a scam ..

Oooooohh, (Said in best Spike voice ) I'll take the above as a compliment.

My son looked at the wording and did a bit of searching around. Many of the phrases are from a variety of other forms, pasted to make some sort of sense. It was the artwork that was extraordinarily good...perhaps that was from a similar form, but anyway, I'll be meeting with an FBI contact as soon as he can spare a moment for such low level stuff and in the meantime I'll will surely take the above advice and talk to the USPO folk here.

The thing is, that more than half of the calls that I've had on cars, have been scams. Sick old world. Still, I see that most of the NY companies have sold out of the D80, so perhaps I would have found that I couldn't have upgraded anyway. 'tis and ill wind.

For the time being, I'm holding onto me camera with white knuckles. I suppose that I could send a weighted box to them, but rush the camera to them in the unlikely case that they were genuine. This would sting them for the carriage. Nah, not worth the effort.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! One will read your document in full when me birthday single malt has worn orf... right now One is orf to watch Rebecca Romijn-Stamos in Femme Fatale.

Miraculix
7th Oct 2006, 12:19
Be afraid!

And run...

To good to be true. :=

ormus55
7th Oct 2006, 12:42
its a scam, ffs.

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2006, 17:21
Thanks for the input folks.

I wondered why Tigard OR. was picked...just chance perhaps.

First clue I picked up on was the street number. The house number was in the 13,000s, but the road is about 20 houses long and they look big-ish properties (Google Earth.)

Then the words ‘I live in bla bla here in the United Sates.' Why say that unless you are in N........ somewhere else.

Total refusal to phone etc., but the fbijobs flag coming up over the USPO form, may just have been a bizarre-chance mistake. It was just an add for applying for a career in the FBI, and may have been nothing more than a bit of code imbedded in one of the forms that they ripped off. If so, how fortuitous for the less cautious (less tight than me) seller.

ormus55
7th Oct 2006, 18:29
someone was on radio four this week, telling how he was conned for 20 grand. he got an email saying he was the inheritor of some legacy off a deceased distant relative, hed never heard of.

after many letters/calls etc.. he agreed to pay the legal fees etc to collect the dosh! he even went to the airport to meet the chap.
of course the chap never showed up!

OMG!

bye bye 20000 quid.

onetrack
7th Oct 2006, 23:45
Scammers have ripped off many otherwise intelligent Australians with seemingly plausible stories, for many 10's of millions of dollars .. with people even handing over huge sums to them, then travelling to scumbag countries such as Nigeria, to collect the supposed reward .. which never exists, naturally ..

First thing to do, when you get these emails, is read them carefully and thoroughly .. and look for the fractured English, out-of-sync phrases, and examine the logic behind the offer.
It doesn't take too long .. for a person of average intelligence, and equipped with healthy dose of suspicion .. to come to the rapid conclusion that the 'offer' just doesn't add up. As they say, if sounds too good to be true .. it is ..

Here is a list of world-wide links, that regularly report, and keep abreast of the latest scams .. whether they be internet scams, long-lost-relative-estate scams, lottery ticket scams, Nigerian 419 scams, eBay scams, or whatever ..

Scambusters .. http://www.scambusters.com/

NZ Consumer Organisation list of scams .. http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?category=Public%20Issues&docid=253&subcategory=Scams%20%26%20ethics&topic=Scams&bhcp=1

National Fraud Information Center (U.S.) .. http://www.fraud.org/welcome.htm

Nigerian 419 Coalition website .. http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

FTC (U.S.) Prize Promotion Fraud site .. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2000/07/prize.htm

The American Better Business Bureau website (offering consumer and business advice, and which alerts both consumers and businesses, to fraudulent business operators) .. http://www.bbb.org/alerts/tips.asp

ORAC
8th Oct 2006, 05:24
See also Scam.com (http://www.scam.com/)