PDA

View Full Version : Stranglers Tour

phnuff
6th Oct 2006, 13:40
Am off to see them in london this evening. I was wondering if anyone here has seen their 4 piece, (sans that Roberts plonker), line up yet ?

phnuff
7th Oct 2006, 13:31
Well, I will write my own reply

Most of the singing was done by Baz and he has a pretty good voice. Quite why they ever suffered Roberts is a mystery to me. My onlt reservation is that a couple of the new songs sounded a bit too much like country music to me but hey, the rest of the gig was good :-)

VFE
7th Oct 2006, 16:13
Hey Phnuff!

I caught them in Cambridge on Thursday night and thought they were superb. Best they've been since 1990 (ie; when Hugh slung his hook). So great to see them back to full strength as a four peice without some Iggy Pop wannabe writhing about on the stage like an epileptic breakdancer with a cattle prod wedged up his chuff.

Baz and JJ handle the vocals expertly and the musicianship is second to none - I think with Roberts the emphasis was more on the entertainment aspect but now the onus appears to be more on the music (as it should be) and less about all that showbiz bollo which is exactly why most people loved them in the first place.

Jet's looking a bit old though ain't he! :}

VFE.

phnuff
7th Oct 2006, 19:01
Jet is about, what, 67, so I guess he is allowed to look old I guess.:ok:

The image of Paul Roberts and the cattle prod is just too dodgy to contemplate
:mad:

VFE
7th Oct 2006, 20:06
Jet's 68 now.

Cattle prods? :=

VFE.

phnuff
7th Oct 2006, 21:39
Last night we got both London Lady and Dagenham Dave. What about cambridge ??

Cattle Prod
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A24333.htm

VFE
7th Oct 2006, 23:00
Yup, and Burning Up Time.

Relentless sounded superb too - have you bought the new album?

VFE.

phnuff
7th Oct 2006, 23:44
Yer, we got Burning up time (I'd forgotten), plus Hanging around. You know, nobody will ever do a better version of Walk on by (although the Hugh Cornball band do an equally good session, and I know JJ is the 2nd best bassplayer in the world, but he ain't as cute as Hugh's :E

No, not bought it yet. I am a bit put off by a couple of what sounded like country songs and the only good country song is one you take the O out of

Capn Notarious
7th Oct 2006, 23:57
I would have preferred to see Girlschool playing live. The dominance of that genre of music is masculine. Yet there are many talented females; who never got the opportunity to reveal their talents.
From the position of the ordinary man in the street; opposite sex playing virtuoso guitar with sensitivity: is preferable.

phnuff
8th Oct 2006, 09:40
Hmm, I would hardly say that the Stranglers and Girldschool represent the same genre, having said that, I have seen GS before and they were highly entertaining in a non male dominated way.

VFE
9th Oct 2006, 23:10
There was a country sounding numba on the new album - 'I Hate You'..... by all accounts it's a tribute to the late great Johnny Cash. Like most non-Stranglers numbers it's a 'quirky' affair, so we ride with it, let them get it out their system.... as it were. But rumour has it - it could be the next single! Not that a single released by The Stranglers means owt these daze but at least they haven't lost their propensity for flogging a dead donkey!! :}

I was on a tube train once with two members of Girlschool, and all they could do was talk extremely loudly about how close there were to Lemmy (from Motorhead) and about how rock n' roll he was and about how great it was that they knew him and nobody on the train did.

Baby, please don't touche.... :8

VFE.

phnuff
10th Oct 2006, 12:27
I met Lemmy on a plane once. Nice guy and strangely, addicted to P G Woodhouse books. PG Woodhouse is such a R&R icon don't you think

VFE
10th Oct 2006, 12:48
He is also a huge fan of that great BBC TV sit-com, 'Ever Decreasing Circles' starring Richard Briers.

Not a lot of people know that. :hmm:

VFE.

Eagle18th
10th Oct 2006, 17:15
I went to the Cambridge and London gigs, and will also be going to Norwich tomorrow.:)
With Jet's advancing years, who knows how many more tours we'll get, so I would urge everybody to make the effort to see these guys. This tour has been fantastically well received by the hardcore and casual fans alike.:D
Looks like a small French tour will happen in the spring - yippee.:)

Killer Shark
13th Oct 2006, 02:42
Excellent. Last couple of times I saw them, JJ never sang a word. That bloke who has nothing to play with did it all. Can't wait. However, I do have to wait until they come back to Montreal.....

phnuff
13th Oct 2006, 10:09
bloke who has nothing to play with did it all

In what sense ? I mean if you are talking about Paul Roberts, he always seemed to be playing with himself.

He's not there anymore :ok:

Killer Shark
15th Oct 2006, 22:35
I meant he did all the singing. No instrument, not even drinking a pint while playing on a keyboard (I'll refrain from calling it an organ;) ) like more talented members of the group. I want to hear JJ actually do one of his songs for the first time in 15(?) years.

VFE
17th Oct 2006, 17:50
Best band on the planet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oRqlgzp8yA

VFE. :cool:

VFE
17th Oct 2006, 18:01
A rare interview with the guys - amazingly no rockumentary exists on them. Although former manager Ian Grant claims to be working on doing one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17l_LrSe4g&mode=related&search=

*caution language*

VFE.

maninblack
20th Sep 2007, 00:02
Another tour in in planning for very late 2007 though who will play drums, Jet or Ian Barnard (his drum tech) remains to be seen.

VFE
8th Nov 2007, 17:23
They played a stormer at the Roundhouse last sunday in front of 3000 fansinblack and the cameras (DVD release) despite keyboard technical gremlins forcing a 20 minute delay and restarting of the gig 8 songs in!!

I had a great day out, endured 2 hours worth of armageaddon in the moshpit and my love for this group doubled. Have bored to death everyone who's asked about the gig this week! :}

Review: http://arts.independent.co.uk/music/reviews/article3133278.ece

VFE.