PDA

View Full Version : "Incident on Kalula"

dikkes
6th Oct 2006, 11:15
I've just heard on 567 Cape Talk that there has been an incident on a Kalula A/C. Any info?

Beech19
6th Oct 2006, 12:01
Just heard on highveld radio that a passenger made a threat.:confused:

GULF69
6th Oct 2006, 12:10
their still on the runway as we speak.

this from news24.com:

Kulula.com flight turns back after 'threat'
06/10/2006 13:11 - (SA)

'Incident' at CT international?

Cape Town - A Kulula.com airliner returned to Cape Town international airport soon after taking off on Friday morning, when a passenger apparently "made a threat" to the crew.

Kulula flight MN 120 from Cape Town to Johannesburg - which departed at 11:11 - returned to the airport at 11:38 "due to apparent unruly conduct by a passenger on board", said the Airports Company of SA (Acsa).

Spokesperson Deidre Hendricks said an SA Police Service special task force responded to the incident, and airport operations at Cape Town International were not affected.

A Kulula.com official said no one was hurt in the incident.

The crew followed normal operating procedure to ensure the safety of the passengers and aircraft after the threat was made, the official said.

JetPark
6th Oct 2006, 12:11
Happen to be at Cape Town International today - what a lovely day it is in the Cape again - aircraft is the MD82 parked in isolation at threshold rwy 34 and surrounded by emergency & Police vehicles. Seems as if it may have been a hijack attempt.

I.R.PIRATE
9th Oct 2006, 13:18
Some innebriated arrogant PDI demanded to exchange seats to enable him to sit next to his buddy. On being refused by the hosty, he asked:" What would you do if my friend and I hi-jack this plane..." They should have the right to blow assholes like this away immediately. No questions asked. Currently out on R5000 bail.:ugh: :suspect:

Probably gonna walk free just like the previous, 'I wanna be a hi-jacker' from two months ago.

JetPark
9th Oct 2006, 14:35
I hope that the Airline concerned will take civil action against this individual after the criminal case is over. It's one thing transgressing the Civil Aviation Offences Act - even if in this case as a joke and not a real threat - but he needs to know what chaos and disruption he caused. He cost passengers time, caused stress for all involved and cost the Airline plenty in an already over-burdeoned industry. He needs to get a serious := and if it was my Airline - he'd be banned for life for sure. My slot departure time was affected as a result of his pathetic action.

Goldfish Jack
9th Oct 2006, 18:39
Heard they are and intend to go the full monty on this one

Some airline needs to set an example that if you want to stuff around you will pay and pay dearly

Cirrus SR22
9th Oct 2006, 18:59
SAA Hijack accused may be deported

September 07 2006 at 11:00AM

Deportation to Zimbabwe, a life ban never to return to South Africa and a plea bargain were some of the options being considered for plane hijack accused Tinashe Rioga.

This was confirmed by Rioga's attorney Reuben Liddell at the Bellville regional court in Cape Town on Thursday, where Rioga appeared again following his arrest after an alleged hijack attempt on a Johannesburg-bound SAA aircraft in June this year.

Liddell was granted a postponement to October 11 for the defence to prepare the groundwork to make "substantial representations" to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions.

Rioga remains in custody at Goodwood Prison.

The University of Cape Town student allegedly brandished a hypodermic syringe during the incident before being overpowered by fellow passengers and cabin crew. - Sapa

Cirrus SR22
9th Oct 2006, 19:07
I recall chatting to a crew member who had been onboard the SAA aircraft on which Trevor Tutu made threats (and for which he connived to get political amnesty).

The crew member told me that, but for the kindness of their hearts, Trevor Tutu might have 'slipped' at the door whilst the steps were still some metres away. (The converse of the adage that tells us, "let there not be a slip between cup and lip).

YOU BE THE JUDGE: If our Courts / Judiciary failed to take a tough line with aircraft hijackers would you as the Pilot In Command be inclined to deal with the hijacker yourself (after landing).

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Paste your answers here on African Aviation and we can then let the media inform prospective hijackers what their fate might be.

unablereqnavperf
10th Oct 2006, 08:36
Accidental deployment of crash axe resulted in serious head injury! May be harsh but usually prevents any repeat offence!

The judicial systems of most countries these dyas a way to soft on these a*******s I believe that the time has come for us to take a stand and anyone who endangers the saftey of many pax deserves nothing less then to be taken out of the equation permenantly. This will achieve two things ,one is it will remove any possibility of a second attempt by the same individual, secondly it will provide food for thought to the next lunatic!

SpringbokDreamer
10th Oct 2006, 08:52
Please can I sugest you edit your above post, inlight of perhaps sensitive info RE Equipment? Know what you mean though.. These guys should be dealt with on board :} perhaps with the first officers Parker pen in the eyes!! or there should be a trap door where you can tie these buggers to the main gear just before maybe a 60 mile gear down approach from 20,000'

:E :E :E :E

4HolerPoler
11th Oct 2006, 08:46
Whinging letter to a logal rag from one of the pax:

Dear Editor,

I was one of the passengers on flight MN 454, scheduled to land at Lanseria airport at 19:20 on Friday night. I arrived at the airport at 15:00 that afternoon, to make sure I was booked in on time to get home, and eventually boarded the plane at 01:15 the next morning. I did ask the lady at the check in counter whether all flights were on schedule, and we were assured everything was completely on track. However, not only did we have to sit on the floor for most of the evening, but eventually the coffee shops and stores ran out of fresh food, and eventually closed, leaving us sitting with no option but the pub. Aside from receiving the first set of R400 discount vouchers, we were again requested to go out to the check in desk (through security again and again), and receive a second voucher.

But by the time I got to the counter after standing in a queue for half an hour, they had run out of vouchers! And yes I did receive my R25 food voucher for the plane, but because of the late hour, and the plane arriving to fetch us in such a hurry, there was no food on the plane either. I am extremely disappointed at the management of Kulula, as there was not a living soul around to tell us what was going on, until well into the evening, after the poor girl at the Kulula sales desk was almost mobbed by angry passengers. Not once, did they send a representative into the departure lounge to advise us of the situation, nor did they bother to make any announcements over the PA system. Eventually we sat glued to the departure board for updates on our situation. And as for those who drifted into the bar, there were some extremely loud and rather drunk passengers on the plane by the time we did board. We also had out luggage dumped in the departure lounge and were told to identify our bags, and then were sent up and down from gate 1, all the way to gate 16, trying to sort our stuff :bored: out. One of the gentlemen on the flight had his luggage completely lost! And yes, they did offer accommodation for the night at the cost of Kulula, but they could not tell me how I was going to get home in the morning.

They eventually said they would cancel other people's paid for flights, to send us home instead. Obviously I chose to wait! I was promised that if we contacted Kulula directly today, they would send us the additional vouchers we were promised, but I can't even get past someone at the call centre to handle my complaint! I understand that this hoax hi-jacking story was not the fault of Kulula at all, but thereafter, the way they handled the situation was shocking. The idiots who pulled this hoax got better and swifter attention than we did!!

Rachelle Jaques

4HP

Deskjocky
11th Oct 2006, 10:51
Proof yet again that a slick paint job just doesn’t cover up for the fact that you cant flog the hell out of old planes forever.

GULF69
11th Oct 2006, 10:54
Excuse my ignorance deskjocky, but what does old planes have to do with the topic? Or am i missing something?

Deskjocky
11th Oct 2006, 11:07
Gulf- reference 4HP post above mine on the mn delay.

Cameronian
11th Oct 2006, 18:51
Ok, so this clown is probably still going through the system as a result of his complete and dangerous arrogant idiocy, but what actually happens to people who start hoaxes? Lets imagine the idiot, probably drunk, who tells security that someone (one of his drunken mates, probably), who may have already got through security without a passport or with some other documentary problem (and who therefore is already suspect), is a terrorist or a hijacker for example.

I'm sure the hoaxer will get the benefit of the third degree on the spot, with all of the necessary cavities fully inspected etc. etc., but, after they're finally released to go on their way, is that the end of it? Does travel become a problem for them after that? Are they controlled wherever they may try to fly in the future? Are they likely to be denied visas or even boarding?

It seems to me that the taking of such steps would be highly dissuasive of copycats, once the news got about......

south coast
11th Oct 2006, 19:08
unable said...**quote**

The judicial systems of most countries these dyas a way to soft on these a*******s I believe that the time has come for us to take a stand and anyone who endangers the saftey of many pax deserves nothing less then to be taken out of the equation permenantly

Way too soft, I dont think so. In the 1st World you go to jail for such behaviour. In the USA, it is a Federal Crime to make such statements.

Cameronian
11th Oct 2006, 19:25
Ok South Coast, but being specific - in the case of the sort of hoaxer whom I described just above, who is the usual sort - thinks it's a laugh etc. - once he's been given a hard time for a couple of hours in Malaga or Dublin or Stockholm or Miami...... then what? Do his details get circulated and are things difficult for him thereafter, wherever he may go? What about his access to our cousins across the pond? Are we really doing anything to dissuade and inconvenience these jokers? These guys are crying "Wolf!" and this has practical consequences for the detection of the real threats.

Balmy
12th Oct 2006, 10:27
While personally if I were crew (to say nothing of other passengers) on one of these flights I would seriously enjoy the oppotunity to "explain it nicely" to the idiot/s involved.......I think it is high time we, the industry, stepped up to the plate and did something about this sort of nonsence. How about a list of banned individuals (shared between aircraft operators) who would be refused the right to fly for life.

That way the legal system could do (or not do) what they want these people would cease to be a problem for us and the rest of the law abiding aviation customers and could, I think, serve as somewhat of a deterrent??

How about it guys???