PDA

View Full Version : operating a flight dept for a newbie

nobrusk
5th Oct 2006, 20:29
My background is in the airlines (pilot & dispatch), and would like to approach a local company to start a flight dept, w/ yours truly in the cockpit. I just started to do some research and putting together a presentation.

I looked into management companies who offers turnkey operation and would handle all the day to day management. But I would have become their employee rather than the company I'm hoping to fly for. So looks like I have to do this in house, but I lack the experience of operating a flight department.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this whole process, but I plan to:
- use a broker to assist us in negotiating and purchasing of the aircraft
- crew training at FSI
- use reputable insurance company

So my questions to anyone w/ experience in corp flight dept are:

1. Generally, how complex is management of a single aircraft flight dept?
2. Are there any other administrative, regulatory, and/or technical areas that I should look into?

I know the questions are vague, but any information and insight will be appreciated.

MSP Aviation
6th Oct 2006, 01:54
one aspect you should be sure not to overlook is that all FAA commercial operations are required to have their paperwork comply with the "part" they are operating under.

be sure to check with your local TSA office regarding any special security precautions to be based in DC.

any specific questions can probably be resolved with a phone call to your local FSDO.

EDIT: oh, and check this out - http://www.nbaa.org/basics/startup/startup.htm

nobrusk
6th Oct 2006, 14:17
MSP, thank you very much. I have some reading to do over the weekend..:ok: