PDA

View Full Version : 30m Wide RWY Exemptions for B737/A320

GaryGnu
5th Oct 2006, 05:08
How do Virgin and Jetstar gain the (current) authority to operate their respective a/c types to 30m wide runways?
They did have exemptions but the exemption register shows them as expired. Is it reasonable to assume that they have been renewed but not published?
I can find the QF exemption for B737-800 on the CASA website but not the other majors.

swh
6th Oct 2006, 05:27
How do Virgin and Jetstar gain the (current) authority to operate their respective a/c types to 30m wide runways?

For the 320 operation on 30m runways is permitted in the FCOM if Vmcg is increased by 2.5 kt. Maybe this is the basis for the 320 approval.

gaunty
6th Oct 2006, 06:09
Yeah we got it in our Manual too.

The call out is now "airspeeds alive,.. 80.5" knots and so on. :E

john_tullamarine
6th Oct 2006, 11:02
Boeing did the runway width testing some years ago for the 737 .. I presume that Airbus did likewise. Not a major problem to address .. if a bit of a nuisance to find decent winds at the time. Several other Types did likewise .. dates back to the 80s. CASA was the first Authority to mandate demonstration of a Type's capability to operate on a particular runway width rather than just adopt the ICAO formula ... it all gets interesting if the min V1 is down around Vmcg ... other aircraft with a low Vmcg (Citation, for instance) are no sweat .. yes, the Citation was done in Oz by a particular operator .. and then sold to Cessna .. with no royalties to the CAR35 chap who did the work .. ho hum.

The exercise originated with Chris Furse (CASA chief TP) and Nev Probert (a senior CASA performance man). Some preliminary sim testing suggested that the ICAO approach might just be a bit over-simplified for some Types and the rest, as they say, is history.

haughtney1
6th Oct 2006, 11:27
CASA was the first Authority to mandate demonstration of a Type's capability to operate on a particular runway width rather than just adopt the ICAO formula ...

Would this be the same CASA that were out a few years ago measuring up LHR to see if it complied with their own regulatory formula?

(If so I wonder who paid for that little jolly:8 )

john_tullamarine
6th Oct 2006, 12:12
.. no organisation is perfect ... and that applies to CASA.

However, having worked for, and with folk within, CASA, I have to say that there have been, and still are, many fine and hard-working people in the organisation. The two mentioned in my previous post (both now retired) fit squarely in that category ..

In any case the D&G forums serve to keep the commentary blowtorch on the organisation's hindquarters.