PDA

View Full Version : Residential Houses on Airport Boundaries

Guptar
5th Oct 2006, 04:00
I've been to many airports around Oz and have noted that some airports have houses that back onto the airport boundary. Ie their back fence is hard up against the airport fence. essendon, Moorabbin, Coolangatta ( I think) just to name a few.

With hangarage so expensive these days, or not available at all, I was thinking that you could kill 2 birds with one stone by buying a property that backed onto an airport, hopefully that fact will make it quite cheap and building a residence that had a large room at the back that could be used as a hangar. Intelligently designed, this could be turned into a large game/rumpus room should the house need to be sold.

My question is would it be acceptable from a CASA point of view(ie., an aircraft to be parked in a building that is also a residence) as well as would airport operators allow airside access from a private residence.

Airparks are fine and dandy, but in Oz they can be problematic in reselling so you can be stuck with it as there arent that many buyers.

Sunfish
5th Oct 2006, 06:46
My guess is that the airport lessor would give you a big fat NO........probably on liability grounds for starters, then of course there is security, all your kids and visitors would need an ASIC, and finally because it might interfere with their plans to turn all airports into shopping malls.

Ultralights
5th Oct 2006, 07:31
how is the liability issue handled in these new airparks that are poping up everywhere? hopefully soon, they will be built on an airfield that has RPT..

would access only through the house be considered secure enough if it the only acess to the rear sunroom/hangar?? would the owner have to apply for an ASIC?

Atlas Shrugged
6th Oct 2006, 00:21
It worked for the Chiropractor at Parkes. Built a lovely house in the NW section of the field just near the runways. Own hangar too!

moreorless
6th Oct 2006, 11:17
I would like to think that somehow the needs of security and the freedoms we enjoy in this country could somehow be worked in together. It would be great to have the house attached to the hanger and a runway or two outback.

Torres
7th Oct 2006, 02:18
What an innovative idea! I thought of the same thing in October 1987. Why pay $106,000 per year to lease an acre of vacant land at Brisbane airport, when for half that price I could buy land adjacent the airport, build a hangar and access by moving the boundary security fence!

When proposed to the (then) Federal Airports Corporation, the idea died in less than five seconds.

Im sure I don't need to list here the numerous reasons it can/will never happen, including security, commercial advantage, defined "airport" boundaries, etc!!!