PDA

View Full Version : 2 crew aircraft

metrosmoker
5th Oct 2006, 03:08
Have bee in contact with some of the contract operators around. It has become apprent that SA227(metro) time is not counted as two crew for their hiring requirements. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation? Can someone let me know the smallest FAA approved two crew aircraft.

gas-chamber
6th Oct 2006, 03:06
If you are flying a version over 5700 kg, it is multi crew, under it is not. e.g. there is no such thing as a co-pilot rating for a B200 as the legislation does not cater for co-pilot endorsements below 5700 kg. The B1900 is an almost identical airplane from a systems point of view, and is a multi crew type.

If an operator wants to make exclusions when they hire or upgrade, that is their right. e.g. one operator does not consider jet transport time towards command unless it is on a type above 20,000 kg. This may be to specifically exclude some of the more docile and less-representative light business jets. It may also be that the operator suspects that some business jet operations are not all that well disciplined in things like CRM and multi crew operations. The idea being that the F28 or similar is about the bottom end of real transport jets. Another operator may want glass cockpit time, another wide-body time and so on.

Now, whether Metro time should be considered multi crew is debatable, as some passenger operators have really good two crew procedures in place, while some cargo operators basically run their cockpits single pilot and sell the other seat to newbies who want to build time. Whether they sell it for cash or just don't pay the co-pilot very much amounts to the same thing, in my view.

One thing you can guarantee in this career - the goal posts will move according to supply and demand more than anything else. But the whims of chief pilots also feature at selection time and should not be under estimated. Do your homework, build your case and good luck.

apache
6th Oct 2006, 03:51
If you are flying a version over 5700 kg, it is multi crew, under it is not. e.g. there is no such thing as a co-pilot rating for a B200 as the legislation does not cater for co-pilot endorsements below 5700 kg. The B1900 is an almost identical airplane from a systems point of view, and is a multi crew type....

My understanding is that, regardless of the aircraft MTOW, if it carries more than 9PAX on RPT, then it is required to be operated two crew. Likewise, if it carries more than X number of pax on CHARTER(can't remember how many, just off the top of my head), then either a second pilot, OR a cabin attendant is required.

Insofar as co-pilot endorsements go, I know that the BANDIT (E110), AND the METRO3 (SA227) both have a co-pilot endorsement. The bandit has a MTOW of 5700kg.

The Metro CAN be operated single pilot, as can the B1900, as they have been on freight runs for various operators in Oz recently / currently.

Howard Hughes
6th Oct 2006, 04:41
It has nothing to do with how aircraft are operated, but it depends on their certification, putting two pilots up front does not make it multi-crew!

It must be certified as a multi-crew aircraft in order to be considered.

ie: Metro, Beech 1900, Kingair, Twotter and I think Bandit all certified as single pilot aircraft (nb: some of these are over 5700kg).

Saab 340, Jetstream, Brasilia, etc... all certified as multi-crew.:ok:

Brasilian Bird
6th Oct 2006, 09:41
Sounds about right, are a few Metros banging around Perth single-pilot carrying pax, guessing they've only got 9 at a time then! :}

apache
6th Oct 2006, 12:28
Can they be dual certified ? ie single pilot provided..... else dual pilot ?

ie Bandit, or MEtro, or 1900 on RPT would be dual pilot, but in freight, PROVIDED there is a working autopilot coupled to the flight director, then single pilot ?

This is how Impulse used to run their 1900's .... pax by day, freight by night-single pilot.
Were they not multi crewed when RPT ?

pakeha-boy
6th Oct 2006, 19:06
Concur with most of the posts....am type rated in the Metro 3 and 2....both are single pilot "types"...actually flew paxs with a commercial rated pilot in the right seat,had to resit the type ride for another company and have the SIC endorsement added.....most part 135 ,121 carriers ,pax ,not cargo are now required to have a "2nd in command required" for the type rating to carry pax...the type rating is rquired for A/C over 12,500 lb/5700kg....The feds mandated this requirement in th mid 80,s due to the fact that most regional carriers would transition from Part 135 to 121...there are many single pilot, cargo operations,part 135 still flying..... its all about saftey boys ....

.....hats off to the single pilot,no auto pilot metro cargo blokes....my girlfriend and beer is yours:D

apache
7th Oct 2006, 06:43
What sort of beer ? how much is there? is it cold ? will your girlfriend deliver it, then go 3 mins later ?

pakeha-boy
7th Oct 2006, 07:20
..it,s TUI
3 TRAYS
really cold
wahine will deliver
leave when she has made you happy.....PB

Inbound On Descent
7th Oct 2006, 11:59
Its all down to the AFM. If the book says the aeroplane requires only one pilot, then that's yer arse...

Mate of mine has been driving a Meat Tray multi-crew and simply drafted a letter for his chief to sign saying "M Smoker has been trained and operates in a multi-crew environment and has been operating a SW4 multi-crew for 4 trillion hours..."

Sent this off to the UK CAA with an application for a Multi Crew Certificate - apparently they're happy to oblige. This may satisfy the folk at the contract agencies.

Cheers,
:ok:
Inbound

Chimbu chuckles
7th Oct 2006, 12:13
Ahhhh the old definition of eternity:ok: