PDA

View Full Version : Windows user accounts

Kempus
4th Oct 2006, 19:21
Hi!

Had a problem with my laptop which required windows to be re-installed in order for it to be turned on.

My problem is with the 1000 pictures or so I've got on my laptop of all my trips and flying training which i would really like to know if i can retrieve!

Now all the programs are still in the hard drive and can be run, and the user account is still showing in the documents and settings folder however it will not allow me access to this forder even as the administrator!!

The hard disk space shows the same before the re-install which suggests that the pictures and music are still there!

Can anyone help me on this one?

kempus

BOAC
4th Oct 2006, 21:31
Should just be a copy of the folder into your new Documents and Settings profile? MAY require Safe Mode if there are user issues.

Saab Dastard
4th Oct 2006, 21:40
Kempus,

An adminstrator may be "locked out" of folders, but can actually reset the permissions on them by "taking ownership".

This is a design feature of NTFS, such that users can prevent admins from viewing sensitive information - and if the admin does exercise his "divine rights", there is an audit trail (muddy size 10 footprints).

Right click the folder, select Sharing and Security, Security tab, then drill down into Advanced and you should find Owner tab.

That's for Windows XP Pro - if you are using XP home you may have to turn off "simple file sharing" or something like that. Win2K is as above - as was NT4 and 3.51 was similar.

Of course if you had encrypted the folder or files using built-in or 3rd party tools you are f***ed!

SD

Kempus
6th Oct 2006, 15:51
Hi guys!

Thanks for your replies! I managed after a fair amount of faffing about manage to get into the user account with windows in safe mode but that the only way i can get access so having to copy all the files to an external hard drive which is prob what i should have done in the first place!

Lesson learned me thinks!

kempus

ormus55
6th Oct 2006, 20:56
its classic microsoft (so called) security, you enter via safe mode and delete the/all user account names. then admin has the rights to all files!

and if for some reason you dont know the admin PW, its very easy to reset it.

wonderful.