PDA

View Full Version : Mid air over the Amazon

vaqueroaero
4th Oct 2006, 16:06
Interesting article on the mid air over Brazil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/business/03road.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

woolyalan
4th Oct 2006, 16:46
a couple of days late this one isn't it?

Farmer 1
4th Oct 2006, 16:57
Notwithstanding the obvious fact that this guy's knowledge of aviation is little more than nil, there's a whole host of journalists out there who could learn a lot from him.

terryJones
4th Oct 2006, 20:49
The pilot in this escapade is a member of a home build mailing list I subscribe to.
Another member posted this earlier today:-
Ladies and Gents,
It has come to my attention that one of the pilots of the Embraer Legacy jet that had a mid-air with a Brazilian passenger airliner was a member of our mail-list and brand new cozy builder, Joe Lepore. He and his co-pilot are currently being detained in Brazil pending the outcome of the investigation.
I'm sure I speak for all of us in expressing my condolences to the families of those who died, my joy that Joe and some others survived and my best wishes for Joe and his family during this difficult time.
Xxx Xxxxxxxx
ATC NY Center
I have removed the posters name.
I find it worrying that the crew are 'Being Detained' however. Unless there is ATC tape showing a conflict caused by non compliance with an instruction, what gives?

The Hustler
5th Oct 2006, 11:49
According to reports coming out at the moment, the Embraer was supposed to be at FL360, while the 737 was supposed to be at FL370. As Joe Sharkey recorded the alititude in the Embraer as 37,000ft just before the collision, what is being investigated is the possibility of the Embraer pilots being at the wrong Alt. The pilot's passports are therefore being held.