PDA

View Full Version : Latest Royal Mail Scam?

eticket
4th Oct 2006, 15:31
Let's change the Post Codes.

If the Telephone companies can get away with adding extra digits, on the rationale of 'we have run out of numbers', then let's do it to Post Codes as well says the Royal Mail.

You think I am joking?

Nope.

Yesterday I received my new Post Code (Zip Code). So it is now XX2X XXX. Any recompense - apart from a pack of sticky labels that has yet to arrive? What do you think?

How much extra mail/profits will be generated by people notifying all and sundry about the change. Literally (sp) Tons and Tonnes I bet.
After one year how much mail won't get through as they no longer 'recognise' the old code? How many computer systems won't recognise the new post code as being a valid one and then send letters back querying the code thus generating even more mail/profits?

The justification from the Royal Mail is that so many new homes are being put up in your area that we will have to change 50,000 houses/businesses existing post codes to accomodate the new arrivals. Did they ask our opinion? Yes, via a questionnaire but so few people replied that they took it to mean that they could go ahead. Like they wouldn't have gone ahead anyway - which is why so few replied.

Sorry rant over and back to the letter writing.

p.s. Will someone please tell multimap?

Kolibear
4th Oct 2006, 15:41
it is now XX2X XXX

Exactly the same format as mine is currently. So whats the problem?

Mr Lexx
4th Oct 2006, 15:50
I think he means than another letter has been added after the numbers. Very similar now to the Canadian postcodes.

Saintsman
4th Oct 2006, 15:52
I thought they were kisses!!

ORAC
4th Oct 2006, 15:57
Just the Cambridge area, the first 4 characters have been changed from CB1 thru CB5 to CB21 thru CB25.

Just a minor local change, not a new format, lots of codes already in the teens and 20s. I am sure multimap will recognise it in due course.

I had about 6 months hassle moving into a house on a new estate, took about 6 months for insurance companies, couriers etc to recognise. Couldn´t insure the car, order furniture. Sorted itself out eventually.

Whirlygig
4th Oct 2006, 15:59
All the Reading post codes changed about 5 years ago; mine went from RG16 to RG20.

It was no big deal. It doesn't take long for major databases to update, your postie still knows where you live etc.

I don't think I informed anyone (except friends and family) of the change and let all the businesses and companies with whom I deal to work it out for themselves. They did!

Cheers

Whirls

eticket
4th Oct 2006, 16:05
I suppose my problem is the waste of time and the unnecessary expense that is being forced on people, especially the elderly, by the Royal Mail unilaterally changing 50,000 peoples Post Codes. I have no problem with the extra digit per se as I appreciate that many addresses have always had two leading digits.

eticket
4th Oct 2006, 16:10
Many thanks for your replies everyone. It is good to know that the changeover will be easier than I imagined. I hadn't heard of other places being changed before so I thought that we might be unique.

Kirstey
4th Oct 2006, 16:13
Postcodes are "changed" every quarter.. although major updates to residential postcodes are usually only done once a year. Usually one area a year is targetted for a major overhaul. Walsall and Yeovil being two recent ones

Whirlygig
4th Oct 2006, 16:14
There's very little expense for anyone if you wait until Christmas and pop a note in each Christmas card for friends.

As for businesses, I regularly alternated between the two post codes if a business didn't recognise one.

The postal system can cope (generally) if the old post codes are used for quite a few years after the change. In fact, I think Aunt Doris STILL put RG16 on the Chrissie card - it still arrived!

Just think instead of the poor chap who roams a beach in Goa who has memorised all the UK post codes; he'll have to start again!

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2006, 16:23
Just the Cambridge area, the first 4 characters have been changed from CB1 thru CB5 to CB21 thru CB25.
Can a Mathmo explain how the above change will permit EXTRA homes to be included? Unless, of course, the complete 'matrix' in the second part of the PostCode is rewritten (which could explain the insertion of the '2' meaning second edition - but that would be logical, so it can't be that, can it?).

ORAC
4th Oct 2006, 17:04
The first 4 digits are the sector, so the expansion lets them go from 9 to 99.

Why the problem? Cambridge was one of the first 4 Postcode areas in the UK, and they started off doing in cheese wedge shaped areas from the centre of the city. The sectors covered areas of city and country, and didn't provide many spare codes for new housing estates in green field sites. Later codes were issued based on expanding rings divided into sectors, so that each could be made the appropriate size rather than expanding outwards like a wedge, and allowing new rings to be added as towns expanded.

I believe the new sectors limit the new 20 sector codes to the area of the city, and frees the other codes for new areas and the towns and villages in the surrounding areas - see here. (http://www.afd.co.uk/news/datanews.asp)

toothpic
4th Oct 2006, 22:36
Born in Cheshire, lived in Cheshire, but always had a Liverpool (L) postcode. Then the boundarys changed and I am now in Merseyside, couple of years later my post code then changes to CH ????????? :ugh:

Paul Wilson
4th Oct 2006, 22:49
I wouldn't trust that it will be all be sorted out in a year, I recently had to call out the AA, and they didn't recognise my road name - well I suppose the house is only 5 years old..... And don't get me started about the quality of mapping provided on SatNav's and anything other that the local council maps (which it pains me to say are excellent) the AtoZ map of Milton Keynes doesn't even show the road on which our old house was built , and that was 10 years ago, they've chucked up about 10000 houses since then. :rant mode off: