PDA

View Full Version : adult earache

bluestack
4th Oct 2006, 10:54
and not the type cause by 'er indoors...

I've been getting mild discomfort now and again in my ear (middle or inner) after swimming, it's not water retention (or swimmers ear), and for the last few days (on day 3 now) have had pain and a blocked sensation in my left ear, doesn't feel like it's subsiding and is a lot worse than previous complaints.

Anyone got any experience of adult ear infections and possible cures..

I don't really want to go down the antibiotics road as opinion is split on their effectiveness in ear infections.

It's bad enough, pain and hearing wise to keep me grounded at the moment as the headset alone would cause too much pain never mind altitude changes. ( I can very carefully clear my ears through valsalva though).

Cheers

redsnail
4th Oct 2006, 14:23
I've just been to the doc with a gooey ear post cold infection. It's not infected but just got some goo inside the ear drum. Obviously can't fly as the risk of rupture is higher and it may become infected.

Decongestants and other drying agents have been suggested.

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Oct 2006, 16:57
The only way you can find out what is what and how to treat this is by someone have a proper look in your ear.

From what you wrote it may well be an irritation causing the Eustachian Tube to be unhappy rather than an infection but I can only second guess that.

Go to see your quack and let him/her have a looksee and give the appropriate advice.

Good luck

shgsaint
4th Oct 2006, 17:16
Sounds very much like an outer ear infection to me. In fact it sounds exactly the same to what I went throught a couple of weeks ago.

My doc put me on a course of pills (21 Amoxycillin & 30 Pseudoephedrine tablets) over 10 days.

It cleared it right up. :)

You may be wary of antibiotics but i'm sure if you leave it untreated it will only remain painful and heal a lot slower.

They worked a treat for me. :ok:

gingernut
4th Oct 2006, 20:44
Not one for the net I'm afraid. As fd states, a diagnosis best made by the doc. The diagnosis and treatment is usually quick and effective thereafter.

If the pain is that bad, it may be worth discussing pain relief with your local pharmacist.

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2006, 04:10
Along a similar line, and while not wanting to hijack this thread, is there a relationship with this problem?

I have had what might be a swimmer's ear for the last month. It is a patch of irritated...not angry skin in the outer ear. Masses of treatment with Isopropyl alcohol has had no effect and even iodine has not relieved the problem.

Most of the time I am unaware of it, but then the hot patch seems to haul my finger towards it for a scratch...or ten, despite fighting it off with my other hand. Then it glows red hot for a while, but just goes away for a few hours. It's a pain in the ear, but not as bad as above.

Fungus?

bluestack
5th Oct 2006, 04:18
well, as of tonight the pain has subsided a lot and ear is a lot less tender..

Will see if there's any improvement in the am and go see the quack if not..

I did read these things can clear up in a 3 day period, so was willing to give it a chance to run it's course..

Interestingly, there's some evidence to suggest (on t'internet) that same results seen for placebo vs antibiotics..but always best get a doc to confirm condition.

Thanks for the advice..
Blue.

A2QFI
5th Oct 2006, 09:59
Slightly off thread - I work as a receptionist at an NHS Out-of Hours centre ie where you go to see a GP evenings and weekends. Well over half of all the ear infections and pains who arrive are people who have been swimming either in the sea or swimming pools (obviously!) I think their condition may be related to the numbers of bacteria present in both locations. The concept of sharing a swimming pool with children in disposable nappies apalls me! Don't let's even think about it!

gingernut
5th Oct 2006, 13:42
Pardon.....Ha Ha

Loose R, it sounds like you may have a simple otitis externa- irritatation of the external eatr canal. Sometimes breaking the itch / scratch cycle by avoiding irritants, plugging the ear whilst bating etc, may sort it out.

I've not heard of anyone using iodine/alcohol before, but sometimes prescribed topical steroids help.

Failing that, a trip to the local ent man for a gentle bit of vacuuming, and packing, could work wonders.

A2QF1- take your point, but as heart disease continues to kill about 150,000 per year in the UK, shouldn't we encourage more instead of less.:)

A2QFI
5th Oct 2006, 14:48
"A2QF1- take your point, but as heart disease continues to kill about 150,000 per year in the UK, shouldn't we encourage more instead of less."
I think you are saying that we should encourage swimming? Certainly it is good that people know how not to drown, but swimming itself unless very energetic, does not do that much your your cardio-vascular system. However, I agree, some exercise of any sort is better than slobbing around eating too much! The view in UK with regard to sea swimming is "You can't really swim in the sea - you can only go through the motions".

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Oct 2006, 23:58
I think you are saying that we should encourage swimming? Certainly it is good that people know how not to drown, but swimming itself unless very energetic, does not do that much your your cardio-vascular system. However, I agree, some exercise of any sort is better than slobbing around eating too much! The view in UK with regard to sea swimming is "You can't really swim in the sea - you can only go through the motions".

Swimming is excellent exercise. That is swimming not just bobbing in the pool!

Gentle cardiovascular workout. Elongating all muscles so no muscle ache afterwards; the water supporting all limbs so joints don't get overstrained etc.

gingernut
6th Oct 2006, 09:05
Yep, nothing worse than a bobber when your trying to do ya 30 lengths.

A2QFI, I take your point that exercise should be vigorous, but those awfully nice people from nice http://www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=PHI002quickrefguide reckon any is better than none.

PS you havn't lived until you've took on a few breakers on the SW Coast:}