PDA

View Full Version : Why did they pile on us passengers?

rmiller774
4th Oct 2006, 05:00
Flew Delta flight 1623 on September 30 departing SLC at 10:15 am bound for DCA. When 1 hour and 10 minutes from DCA the captain announced that everyone had 10 minutes to use the facilities and then there would be no standing allowed until arrival at DCA. He imposed this 1 hour stay-in-your-seats directive based on "regulations". When we left DCA on September 23 on flight 227 for Atlanta no mention of having to stay in our seats for a period of time was mentioned. I am aware that the 30 minute rule had been rescinded but here we have a captain, apparently on a power trip, proclaiming a 1 hour sit-down. Isn't there enough tension and inconvenience already for us passengers with all of the TSA rules? Why make it even more difficult to fly? Don't they want passengers? Why would he do that? I'm going to write my congressman.

sinala1
4th Oct 2006, 05:05
Can I suggest you write to Delta first?

411A
4th Oct 2006, 06:05
Delta pilots are pretty pi**ed off these days because their pension went in the toilet.

Still, with the attitude you described, perhaps it is time they had fewer passengers.
In other words, fly DAL as a last resort.
Desperation time.

cwatters
4th Oct 2006, 07:44
Perhaps they had indications that there would/could be a lot of turbulence for that part of the flight. That plus some poor communications.

hobie
4th Oct 2006, 10:39
only one solution ..... :)

http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/images/thumb/14026_AA2673.jpg

weasil
4th Oct 2006, 12:15
[QUOTE=rmiller774;2887667]. I am aware that the 30 minute rule had been rescinded but here we have a captain, apparently on a power trip, proclaiming a 1 hour sit-down. QUOTE]

The 30 minute rule was for a/c flying outbound from DCA. The rule was for the last 1 hour of flights into DCA.

I haven't flown into DCA in 3 months but last time I did this rule had been dropped. Perhaps it has been reinstated. We all know how quickly the TSA likes to change the rules these days. Or Perhaps this Captain decided he liked that rule, or maybe he doesn't know it has been dropped. Who knows.

The fact is though that if the Captain wants the seatbelt sign on he can turn it on, for whatever reason.

captjns
4th Oct 2006, 12:17
I'm going to write my congressman.

Make sure he's not turning any pages.

FLCH
4th Oct 2006, 13:10
here we have a captain, apparently on a power trip,
Hate to tell you this , but he IS the one in charge.....

PaperTiger
4th Oct 2006, 15:29
Hate to tell you this , but he IS the one in charge.....Which does not entitle him to make up "regulations".He imposed this 1 hour stay-in-your-seats directive based on "regulations".Of course he simply may not be aware this particular regulation was rescinded (http://iagblog.********.com/2005/07/dcas-30-minute-rule-dropped.html) 15 months ago :ugh:

FLCH
4th Oct 2006, 16:57
You are correct, he is not entitled to make up stuff as he goes along (try telling that to Al Haynes by the way). If you don't like what seems to you personally is a bad choice made by the pilot, call his superiors....write the airline.

modtinbasher
4th Oct 2006, 18:47
only one solution ..... :)

http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/images/thumb/14026_AA2673.jpg

Whatever they are, are they available in the UK? When you have a 20 minuit bladder after 6 pints or so, and your trip is 30 minuits, this thing lookes really good

hobie
4th Oct 2006, 19:13
Whatever they are, are they available in the UK? When you have a 20 minute bladder after 6 pints or so, and your trip is 30 minutes, this thing looks really good

They certainly are ..... :)

Try this Google ....

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=WEE-JON+DISPOSABLE+URINAL&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

rmiller774
5th Oct 2006, 19:53
One more comment on this rather dull subject and I will hang up the phone.

I mentioned to my wife that I had posted my complaint on PPRuNe and in the discussion that followed she reminded me about a passenger seated in front of us and across the aisle that I had forgotten about. We had thought "him" to be a bit strange. He wore a hooded coat and had the hood covering his head and face for the entire trip even though the cabin temperature was mild. It was the kind of attire football players wear on the sidelines on a cold day. A second passenger, a male, came and spoke to him at least twice. It didn't occurr to us at the time to think anything about a security threat but maybe a stewardess, all of whom surely are trained to spot such things, preceived a possible threat and informed the captain who decided to be on the safe side and just put everyone in their seats for the last hour. That could explain such an unprecedented confinement. I acknowledge that this is a very far-fetched scenario because most troublemakers would want to avoid calling attention to themselves but this hooded person certainly did attract attention. So instead of complaining maybe I should, to paraphrase Jack Nicholson, be thanking the captain and stewardess "for being on that wall".