PDA

View Full Version : Westo Vicar Upsets the Not Natives

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
3rd Oct 2006, 21:43
The Reverand Wishart of Bishop's Lydeard has upset the the local guardians of political correctness. Not the best use of the "Nip in the Air" joke but a fair go.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/en...402594.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5402594.stm)

The responses are funnier than his joke.

prospector
4th Oct 2006, 01:30
Puts a whole new light on going for "A nip and tuck". Should the plastic surgery fraternity have to reword the services they offer???

Snifferdog
4th Oct 2006, 08:01
......one of those racial equality blokes sounds like a jungle bunny to me!..:oh:

BellEndBob
4th Oct 2006, 11:26
Somerset Racial Equality Council???? Who voted for them?

These [email protected] are getting everywhere.

About time we had an Association Of White Police Officers, Music of White Origin (MOWO) awards, Christian Businessman of the Year, Hetrosexual Pride March and the Met striving to meet its recruiting targets of White, literate and well educated candidates.

Waiting for THAT knock at the door.......

XXTSGR
4th Oct 2006, 14:22
The vicar has apologised for his joke but also appeared to take a swipe at his "politically correct" critics.

"If it has caused any offence, then I apologise," he said.

"I got the mickey taken out of me left right and centre for being Welsh when I was in the Navy, but I never went running to the race relations board."That's done it - now in apologising for upsetting the Japanese, he's gone and upset the Irish... :E

mary_hinge
4th Oct 2006, 15:57
So let me understand:
"nip" which is short for Nipponese or Japanese, is an
offensive term, but "Brit", which is short for British is not? You learn
something every day. :ugh:

matkat
4th Oct 2006, 16:47
does that mean if I am called a "Brit" then the namer is a racist? after all if I call a Pakistani a "Paki" that is supposed to be racist, and if You call someone from Nippon a "Nip" that is also now deemed racist, just what is this Country coming to:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Capn Notarious
4th Oct 2006, 16:58
just what is this Country coming to
Where it is going to , is the conundrum. Time will donate the answers and more questions.

Cheerio
4th Oct 2006, 17:01
Answers on a postcard to Boris Johnson, bless his non-PC white cotton socks!

Bluesteel705
4th Oct 2006, 17:22
So now his comment has gone from a parish newsletter approx readership of 6 plus one arthritic chicken and a daschund named Colin, to a readership of 6 million+ in the national media.:ok:

Great job lads :D

Wasnt this also an episode of Father Ted? :}

BOFH
4th Oct 2006, 18:49
From the Beeb
David Onamade, director of Somerset Racial Equality Council said: "I think what he said is racist to say the least and I think his views about other equality areas are patronising.

If this jumped-up paper-shuffler with a meaningless job straight out of the Ministry of Truth (not that he ever probably bothered to read the book, as it was written by an old Etonian) had an ounce of integrity, he'd not refer to himself as 'director of the SREC' but as a worker ant of the SREC. Elitist hypocrite.

Now, director of the Somerset Human Impartiality Team, I could handle.

BOFH

reynoldsno1
4th Oct 2006, 20:33
I shall have to tell mrs r1, who is Thai born, to stop her complaining about :mad: Asian drivers then ......
(Asian = Oriental in this neck of the woods)

henry crun
4th Oct 2006, 22:23
The good vicar was not the first to utter that joke.

The one and only Spike Milligan, about 50 years ago, told the joke about a tourist throwing a Japanese off Mt Fujiama, and I'm sure you can guess what the next line was.

wiccan
4th Oct 2006, 22:28
Not a clue...:E
bb

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2006, 00:43
Do I detect a chink in this argument? Or was it just a Nigel in the woodpile?

Curious Pax
5th Oct 2006, 07:33
Methinks he is along term Private Eye reader - I seem to remember the same joke from a book of PE covers dating from when Emperor Hirohito visted the UK in the 60s.

To paraphrase a song: it's not what you say it's the way that you say it..... (ref the Brit/Nip/Paki thing).

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2006, 07:46
I think you're misquoting the DofE.
On a trip to China in the 1980s, he warned British students: "You'll get slitty eyes if you stay here too long . . . "