PDA

View Full Version : JAR T.R. into FAA T.R.

PhaFulFal
3rd Oct 2006, 15:20
G'day all,
was told that if you have a JAR-
type rating (say on a Falcon 900) and you'd
like to get a FAA-type rating on the same
aircraft...you have to do a full 'FAA Initial
training' - course (and not noly a FAA-
Checksim)??!
Anyone know any holes in the Regs or is
above statement entirely correct?
Thanks..!

Miles Magister
3rd Oct 2006, 21:49
Ask flight safety. I believe you have to do an FAA recognised course. This can be a recurrent training course with an FAA type rating test at the end.

But first you have to get your license evaluated by the FAA then sit the FAA ground exams. Only then can you do the FAA course an dtype rating.

Good Luck

MM

chiaroscuro
4th Oct 2006, 04:24
Here is the official way:

1) take your faa wirten atp test. you can selfstudy this. once you take the test it is valid for 24 months.

2) get your licence recognized by a AFS-760 letter you can find the application on http://registry.faa.goc

3) redo the whole initial training for your typerating at a recognized facility (don't forget to obtain the tsa clearance before you start even ground school).

here is the way you can do it if you find the right faa inspector and for your purpose i suggest go to flight safety.

step 1-2 is the same

3) do a so called upgrade course. it basically a faa recurrent with some added subjects and then take the exam.

for both cases: the faa oral exam can take up to 3 hours and depending on your TCE this can be a real pain in the ass. We face the problem that we have a lot of young TCE nowadays who need to show their power and position. but you don't have to do the jaa written exam. also kind of good.

it is important that you check with your training facility before you start what kind of course they propose and have them writing it down for you. cause what happend lately was that we did a checkride for a client who was told he can only do a upgrade course and then finally the TCE refused the checkride as he sticks to the paragraphs. of course the nice folks at the training facility decline any liabilty.

if you need more info send me a pm.
CH

PhaFulFal
4th Oct 2006, 07:52
Thanks for the replies,
made the mistake to not mention that I do
possess a FAA - ATP.
So, an 'upgrade' - course is it, hm?!!
People at a TRTO should know when
you ask 'em... now I'll have to tell them.
Thanks again!
PFF

chiaroscuro
4th Oct 2006, 09:36
depends strongly on their inhouse fed rep.

good luck

my advice : do it at a us facility and not at an european subsidary of FSI. everything within the US is little more laid back when it comes to faa rules.