PDA

View Full Version : Current Car, Favourite Car

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 13:11
I do not know whether this has been done before, but if it has, it is being done again!
What car do you drive now, and what is the favourite car you have owned?

I'll go first.

Current car is a Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD, tractor of a car, but I like it!
My favourite car was a 1972 Mustang 5.7 V8. I really wish I had never sold it, AFAIK, the thing is still sitting in someones garage unused and unloved as they ballsed up a brake conversion.

http://www.geocities.com/brazed1/OWY_front.jpg

ComJam
3rd Oct 2006, 13:15
Current car: BMW E36 M3 Evolution, 4 door, 3.2 litre, 320BHP....Bavarian monster :ok:

Favourite car: Gotta be the latest Aston Martin Vantage.

Gouabafla
3rd Oct 2006, 13:21
Current car, Mondeo Estate. Great for long motorway journies and hauling kids to uni, dogs to the beach and rubbish to the tip. Middle class, middle aged - who me?

Favourite car, we had a great Land Cruiser when we lived in Africa. Was a bit of a monster for the city, but brilliant when for the six years we lived out in the bush.

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 13:24
Favourite car: Gotta be the latest Aston Martin Vantage.

It has to be the favourite car YOU have owned :ugh:

CherokeeDriver
3rd Oct 2006, 13:38
Current: German Taxi C220 CDI AventGarde

Favourite: Porsche 911 Carrrea 4 Cabriolet. Don't get married and have kids folks....:{

chuks
3rd Oct 2006, 13:48
Current car: VW Passat 2.5 VR5 4Motion Estate. Favourite car: VW Passat 2.5 VR5 4Motion Estate. Come see me on a snowy road with your V-8 Mustang, when we might have a drag race, a road race or perhaps just a session pulling a 'Stang out of a ditch. Ho-hoh!

Jerricho
3rd Oct 2006, 14:03
Current vehicle - Toyota FJ Cruiser (Deep down, you all love it). Now before the "Oh, big ass SUV!" garbage starts, in about 4 weeks time when there is a couple of feet of snow on the ground, I'll quite happily come along and winch anyone out of a drift.

Favorite vehicle - Has to be my first car, 1976 Toyota Celica. It wasn't heaps fast, it wasn't the best handling car in the world, but there was something about it. The chickies digged it as well.

Buster Hyman
3rd Oct 2006, 14:05
Current: (but silver) 1993 NCII Fairlane Ghia

http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/dealer/coughlan/j161_1_m.jpg

Favourite from the past: 1989 AU Falcon S (for me an da Bro's!)

http://www.fordlaser.com/images/avatars/13561219743af5c7290d95.gif

Cheerio
3rd Oct 2006, 14:09
Current vehicle - Toyota FJ Cruiser (Deep down, you all love it)

Yeehaah! Must drop by and say hello to your laid back buddies on the SoCal FJ Cruz forum......Did that guy ever manage to wash out the sand :D

Me: Current Volvo V70 chipped and with a big sod-off turbo to keep the youths where they belong ;)
Favourite owned: Volvo 240 (Never a better car made)

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 14:11
Come see me on a snowy road with your V-8 Mustang, when we might have a drag race, a road race or perhaps just a session pulling a 'Stang out of a ditch. Ho-hoh!

And then come and see me on a dry road and I will hand your a$$ to you on a plate!:cool:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Oct 2006, 14:19
Current cars: My ex-company car (we do car allowances these days instead of comany cars) Omega V6 CD estate for hauling daughter's stuff to and from Uni, and general family hack, bought 18 months old for peanuts from the lease company. Also Mazda MX5 bought new 2 years ago - fabulous car if you don't want to haul much or carry more than 2 people. I also have a BMW R1150GS motorbike that I tour on each year (just got back from Alps and Dolomites). Oh, and a share in a dH Chipmunk. :)

Had loads of cars over the years. Favorites have to be the current fleet; MX5 for fun in the sun, Omega estate as a refined and comfortable high speed cruiser and load hauler. That's why I have them!

Jerricho
3rd Oct 2006, 14:28
I didn't realise you were a hairdresser, SSD :E :E

(Actually the new Mazdaspeed MX certainly ISN'T deserving of that title ;) )

The SSK
3rd Oct 2006, 14:38
Omega estate as a refined and comfortable high speed cruiser and load hauler. That's why I have them!

My Omega Estate (a mere 2.0L) has just crumbled into worthlessness at the age of 12 and 155,000km. I'm not impressed.

In fact I can't think of any of the dozen or so cars I've owned that I'd have again. The ones that brought the most joy caused the most grief as well.

frostbite
3rd Oct 2006, 14:40
Very modest with cars these days - currently drive a Granada Scorpio Auto (1993) and wouldn't mind a late V6 MkII Mondeo auto which is so cheap you guys could have a whip round and get one for me.

markflyer6580
3rd Oct 2006, 15:00
Current cars- 1)VW passat sport 20v turbo-fast in a straght line and lovely to bimble in.

2)BMW e30 318is m-tec sport model-old skool rwd drifting machine,properly loud and a bit hairy to drive but great fun.

Fave- I had a VW Polo G40,for those who don't know these are a rare as hens teeth mk3 polo with a dustbin sized supercharger on them,look like any other polo but will give an imprezza a run for its money!!!!

(When I get a Porsche 911 GT3 RS that will become my fave!):ok:

G-CPTN
3rd Oct 2006, 15:02
currently drive a Grandad Scorpio Auto (1993)
I DON'T BELIEVE IT! :cool:

Kirstey
3rd Oct 2006, 15:17
Current Car? Mazda RX8 - not as fast as some, but sexy as hell and will challenge anyone on a bendy road!!

Thirsty as an Ethopian farmer though.

Tyre kicker
3rd Oct 2006, 15:18
Current : e46 bmw M3, 343 bhp of fun fun fun:ok: :E
Favorite, well its got to be your first car - Vauxhall Astra 2.0 gte - I Loved that car

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Oct 2006, 15:31
I didn't realise you were a hairdresser, SSD :E
(Actually the new Mazdaspeed MX certainly ISN'T deserving of that title ;) )

Never understood that jibe. I suspect it's only used by those who've never driven a '5 (or who perhaps would like to but can't for various reasons:} ). Anyway, wouldn't hairdressers be a tad worried about the slipstream messing up their latest creation? Balding old gits like me don't need to worry too much about that.:E

buggingout
3rd Oct 2006, 15:32
current: a bloody mountain bike :suspect:

fav: my old lancia delta integrale evolution....a road going arcade machine...:eek:

Loki
3rd Oct 2006, 15:42
Current vehicle; BMW 320d; very competent car.

Favourite; Honda Prelude (still miss it)

Halfbaked_Boy
3rd Oct 2006, 15:45
Current - Mazda 323 1.8i Exec, very smooth, responsive car, and the seats just hug you!

Favourite - Has to be the RX7!

Cheers, Jack.

handysnaks
3rd Oct 2006, 17:38
Now in
http://www.km77.com/marcas/fiat/stilo_01/med/7.jpg

Favourite, although it was a rustbucket
http://auta5p.car.cz/srazy/slavkov_2004/slavkov_061.jpg
But not that one

Jerricho
3rd Oct 2006, 17:56
Heh. Sorry Shags. ;)

The first MX5s that came out certainly gave the carmarket a bit of a kick in the pants. But look at the other "convertibles" that were available at the time. You've got the Yank-tank Mustangs/Vetts/Camaros with V8s, Beemers and Mercs, Jags and even other rice-burners like the RX7 and Celica (we'll not talk about the Ozzie Ford Capri :ouch: ).

You are right though about those who usually give it heaps have never actually driven one

maxburner
3rd Oct 2006, 18:26
Current car and favourite car are one and the same, mainly because Mrs Burner looks fabulous in it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/davidhlewis/1a.jpg

Unwell_Raptor
3rd Oct 2006, 18:31
Com Jam quoth:- Current car: BMW E36 M3 Evolution, 4 door, 3.2 litre, 320BHP
I presume that explains your aversion to speed cameras.

maxman
3rd Oct 2006, 19:02
current car is a Vauxhall Vectra:uhoh:
The best car I ever owned was a 68 Dodge Charger. Sold it to a bloke, who then fitted a roof rack to it :ugh:
Looked something like this
http://www.musclecars.faketrix.com/content/desktops/800/68-Dodge-Charger.jpg

Lon More
3rd Oct 2006, 19:13
Renault Avantime - really comfortable and fast, also the lazy man's convertible.
Peugeot Partner - great for picking up bits for my 1963 Chevrolet Stepside.

Favourite had to be my either my Lotus Elan S2 or my 1963 Rochdale Olympic. MGA engine and gearbox pulling about half the weright, could give most things on the road a good run for their money.

Re the Lancia Integrale - mate of mine stuffed all the gubbins under the baby Lancia for a client. That really was the mutt's nuts

flugholm
3rd Oct 2006, 19:16
Current car:
1993 Mercury Capri convertible. The roof is a mess, but the rest is good and it's fun to drive with the top down, in summer, and Dick Dale in the stereo. Australian ford... so what!? --- Hello Jerricho !

Theonly other car I ever owned, 1998-2000:
1977 VW Derby. what a mess that one was. Replaced starte , water pump, starter again, cylinder head baffles, exhaust and just about anythin else...

So... no points for gussing which oneī s the favourite!

reynoldsno1
3rd Oct 2006, 19:48
Current 1997 Nissan Pulsar - boring, cheap to run, reliable (apart from a brake light bulb going), goes A to B to A without a fuss ....

Favourite - any car that goes A to B to A without a fuss ....

Worst car ever owned - Austin Maxi, unbelievable piece of s:mad:

You want it when?
3rd Oct 2006, 20:15
Current car - Audi Cabrio
Fav. car - Caddilac Sevillle STS (European Spec.) faster than it deserved to be.

gorgeous spotter
3rd Oct 2006, 21:53
My current car is a new Mondeo LX, but I wouldn't mind a Mercedes next!!:E

AcroChik
3rd Oct 2006, 22:02
2006 V-Dub Passat 4Motion wagon with the 3.6 liter engine, fully loaded ~ Tiptronic, etc. The dealer's showroom display car. End of model year, so a terrific deal on what looks like is going to be a terrific car. First new car I've ever bought ~ picked it up from the dealer last week ~ so I'm in the honeymoon phase. Driving a country neighbor to his office in city just after dawn on Monday, he fondled the fit and finish of the interior and said, "VW, eh? Who would have known?" It's useful, gorgeous and fast, fast, fast.

TBirdFrank
3rd Oct 2006, 23:27
Oh dear - favourite car - was it my first? a black Rover 100 silent and fast - boy was it fast - they made excellent banger racing machines. 100mph with just the wind on the screen pillars - Cortina GTs didn't stand a chance!

Is it my latest black beauty an 03 TBird. Cracking little machine

My 2200s Rover - deep chocolate brown, quiet sophistication with an extra bit of ooomph. The HR manager said - "you can't afford that" I told himto mind his own business

The gentle shove in the back as overdrive drops in on the Triumph 2500S is clearly remembered.

But does car include anything taxed PLG? because if so I've had it twenty six years, its still charred and sad after the fire, but not for long ......

http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=85&pos=92

That's me at the wheel - where I intend to be again before much longer

pigboat
4th Oct 2006, 00:41
Current car is a 2003 PT Cruiser.

Maybe not the best car I ever owned but certainly the most fun to drive was a used 1977 VW Scirocco. The previous owner had installed Recaro seats and a decent Blaupunkt stereo system, and tweaked the suspension with aftermarket shocks.

Fliegenmong
4th Oct 2006, 01:30
Current car is the fav car

BMW 318 - sorry, but I really do find it to be sheer driving pleasure.:}

Helps that I know a cash in hand BMW mechanic - German engineering though -naturally I have not had to call upon his services.:hmm:

gashcan
4th Oct 2006, 03:33
Currently driving a 4 yr old Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi.
Cracking motor for thumping up and down the M6 with upto 7 on board, towing a trailer and 45 miles to the gallon.
Absolutely love it...but no street cred!

Favourite is my 1962 Moggy Minor which only comes out on nice days.
0 - 60 in around 30 minutes, 40+ to the gallon; still no street cred and much pi$$ taking, but the inside smells just as I remember it when my Dad had one in the late 60's. Fantastic!

Dea Certe
4th Oct 2006, 03:43
Favorite car was a 1982 Datsun 280ZX. Loved that car. Never gave me a minute of trouble the 12 years I owned it. Some :mad: stole it and stripped it down to the bare chassiss. I cried when I saw it at the impound lot. I'll never have a car I loved as much as that one. :{

Dea

Barkly1992
4th Oct 2006, 08:59
Current car: Honda Accord Euro (Type R in the UK). 2.4 litre six speed manual gear box and it produces 140 kws. Nice fast medium sized car which I thoroughly enjoy.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/vh-grumpy/2005DecHonda_small.jpg

Most important: My first car a standard Morris Mini 1964. Lowered, twin SU carbs, Cooper S extractors, shaved head; Copper S valve spring and two electric fuel pumps to get the fuel up to the engine. Could not hear the radio at full volume because of the gear box whine. Many important teeneage encounters with members of the opposite sex.

:p

High Wing Drifter
4th Oct 2006, 09:24
Current car is a rather comfy'but'dull SAAB 95 that is very quiet, quite quick and is rather nice. I can drive for hours and arrive as fresh as when I departed. But it is not inspiring in any way really.

Favourite car I've owned is the BMW 318is

The BMW due to the sheer fun of rear wheel drive, the handling, the looks, the comfort, the lovely noise and sharp response from the engine, the economy, the dealers and the reliability. So much thought was put into the design of this car, the pedals are perfectly positioned for toe&heel down changes, the driving position is pretty spot on. It is just a car one can live within the real world without stress, without high insurance and without needing to drive like a lunatic to get your monies worth.

I want to have the Cinquecento Sporting in Mentioned in Dispatches if I may. The Cinq was just a joy, a tiny little morsal that was simply a hoot. I really really like well designed basic cars and this one is that with character. One simply cannot buy simple cars like this anymore. It was a firm favourite with the family. Despite its diminutive proportions it can do distance too. I'm thinking of buying one for my daughter so that I get to use it again. This time in Red rather than Broom Yellow :)

slim_slag
4th Oct 2006, 09:37
Afraid to say I'm another boring middle aged git with a turbo diesel mondeo estate. Superb functional car, even got hooks in the back to strap the hound to, great gas mileage and the engine appears to go on for ever. Buy a two year old fleet car at auction and it's probably the best value car on the market, they lose two thirds of their new-value in two years and I don't understand why.

The missus has the sex on wheels machine, and I've got a key. Favourite car ever owned was a 1959 MGA, but not really a sensible car unless you want to pull birds (and nothing wrong with that!)

Mr Lexx
4th Oct 2006, 09:39
HWD

The major downside of the Cinq is the safety aspect. A 30mph collision results in the highest chance of death to driver and passenger of any car that was on the market at the time. I would never knowingly put a loved one in one of those little cars.

timmcat
4th Oct 2006, 09:48
Current car (incoming...) Vauxhall Zafira... tis quite a nice one though, and... I do have 4 kids...

Fave car I have owned.. Mini 1275GT. I've had 2, one was my first ever car, went like stink (and burnt so much oil I resorted to topping it up with old sump oil). My second was a brand new one, one of the last built. was slower than the first due to emission regs I think, and not as much fun.

Car I'm currently trying to buy as a toy? One of these..... a Daihatsu Mira Classic, only 51 imported, three cylinder 650cc, turbocharged, 4WD. Nearly bid on one on ebay last week which had a nitrous oxide kit fitted to it...

http://www.zen70509.zen.co.uk/miraclassic/classic/miraf.jpg

Fake Sealion
4th Oct 2006, 10:03
Current - 2003 Vectra - Yeah yeah I know....but massive boot.....estate size load capacity and comfy!!! Also a Eunos Roadster for dry sunny days!
Favourite - A fabulous Madison Roadster based on a Ford 2litre engine. Gleaming metalic burgundy...everything chromed..including wishbones and alternator!! Running boards...Side exhauast etc etc. Bling Central!!
A REALLY reluctant sale to a Brit living Berlin in 1995. Would DEARLY love to know what happened became of it.....UK registration Q139 WAK.....????Can anyone help?

High Wing Drifter
4th Oct 2006, 10:04
Mr Lexx,

Interesting, although it may seem a little reckless, I have never specifically considered safety as a purchasing consideration. Although, when somebody points out that 30mph could be a problem it makes one think.

Its interesting to see the SAAB at five stars:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/introduction.php

Skunkerama
4th Oct 2006, 10:05
Current and favorite sensible car? Skoda Superb 1.8T Comfort.

It's a Passat with all of the Passat extras but at a realistic price. Very confortable, quick if needed and great on long journeys, and oh my god how much space?

Most enjoyable car? Either my old TVR S3 or any of my race bikes (especially a ratty old TLR).

Mr Lexx
4th Oct 2006, 10:12
HWD

Glad I brought it to your attention! Attached is a picture from the crash test for a Siecento (the "safer" replacement to the cinq). This is the result at 40mph :

http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/superminis/fiat_seicento_2000/fiat_seicento_2000.jpg

Compare that to a VW polo of the same year, at the same speed :

http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/superminis/vw_polo_2000/vw_polo_2000.jpg

Both pics are the official Euro NCAP pics taken at the same time after impact.

Quite telling, methinks

timmcat
4th Oct 2006, 10:15
A REALLY reluctant sale to a Brit living Berlin in 1995. Would DEARLY love to know what happened became of it.....UK registration Q139 WAK.....????Can anyone help?

Last change of keeper 26-10-1995, no current UK tax disc in force.

Hope that helps!

Howard Hughes
4th Oct 2006, 10:23
Current car, 54mpg...:ok:
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/resources/image/46852fe0b00c310d/car_jazzgalleryext07.jpg

chuks
4th Oct 2006, 10:37
For, after all, they are just Ford Fairlanes under the skin! If Mr Lexx can come up with a Mustang from somewhere I am sure we could have some fun seeing who comes out on top.

Unfortunately, the Passat will not be available for this contest; it is dedicated to family transport, primarily that of She Who Must be Obeyed to and from her labours.

The second car is a BMW 325i with a handling package. Since the Mustang was primarily designed for handling packages (big boot, yeah!) fairness would rule out its use as well.

This leaves me with my motorcycle, a humble BMW R1100S with 98 horsepower. Surely a big, butch V8 Mustang should be a fair match for that?

The only place I can think of where it is legal to have a speed contest is the Nordschleife of the Nuerburgring. There you just buy a ticket and have a go. About 80 corners are packed into sixteen miles so that a bit of local knowledge is an advantage but never mind that detail.

What say you to this? Handbags at dawn or what?

The second guy to reply to this thread, the one with the BMW M3, don't call me, I'll call you!

Smeagol
4th Oct 2006, 11:51
Current: Mercedes CLK 320

Favouite: BMW 635 - and it was a red one!

Was once told by a friend(?) that such vehicles were only driven by pimps or drug dealers. Which one was I?

He was just jealous!

Sleeping
4th Oct 2006, 12:15
Merc SL and.....

Merc SL :E

FLCH
4th Oct 2006, 13:37
http://www.new-cars.com/2004/chevrolet/suburban/2004-chevy-suburban-2500.jpg
Gas Hog, Reliable, great for pulling horse trailers (avec horses) and jetskiis...I wouldn't drive anything else !!

Dick N. Cider
4th Oct 2006, 14:21
Sorry...
http://carpictures.duble.com/Daewoo/Lanos%20Sedan%20(1997-2001)/1.jpg
Dirt cheap and gets me to work. (mine has tinted windows and a go faster wing!)
Prefer
http://minicooper.punt.nl/upload/MONTE_CARLO.jpg

had a series of 1962 850 Deluxe minis and never had as much fun in a car before or since. Many drives of the 1275 Cooper S but never owned one. (My Gran was given one for her 60th by Grandad - he was a race mechanic and had given it the full treatment before she got it)

Foss
4th Oct 2006, 15:44
Best car A4 2.0 litre with nice leather seats, goes like sh.. goes very quick.
Worst car Fiat Uno, when I was a student. Piece of [email protected] It spun if you took a corner at more than 15 mph.
MX5's are brilliant, although they spin :O if you over cook it.
And you can't hear the radio. Good air conditioning though.
Fos

Tricky Woo
4th Oct 2006, 15:52
Current car is also my favorate car ever: a 2001 model year (pre-face lift) BMW X5 4.4i. Electric everything, goes like stink, and more spacious and comfortable than my first apartment. Dark grey, no GPS 'cos no one needs it really.

Hard to justify on (eco)logical grounds. But the majority of Swiss roads remain unsalted whatever the snowy conditions, and we do have a holiday house up in't Alps. And yer need 4x4 going up the steep and winding road to Axalp to ski. And our new house (in the process of being built) would be impossible with only two-wheel drive. And, erm... oh, it has airbags everywhere, so my kids'll survive to see the barren wasteland that they'll inherit after their dad's car has contributed to global warming.

Stop press: later this week I'll be swapping it for... a 2005 model year BMW X5 4.4i. Dark grey, with GPS 'cos yer'd be daft not to.

TW

matkat
4th Oct 2006, 16:32
Current "fun" car is a 1999 Ferrari 355 GTS F1(had it nearly 3 years) , Family "boring" car is a 2006 Volvo S60 D Euro 4.

flowman
4th Oct 2006, 16:38
Favourite motor:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c310/flowman/157_5722.jpg
Current motor BMW 525 diesel estate. I won't bother with the picture:*

Flying Lawyer
4th Oct 2006, 16:40
Current: Mercedes SL

Favourite: Much more difficult, probably Ferrari 308.
One of the most beautiful cars they've ever produced IMHO.

AcroChik
4th Oct 2006, 16:55
Ferrari, huh? At a wedding I once attended at a country club famous for its polo tournaments, I once drove a black Ferrari Daytona about 150 meters and parallel parked it (I learned to drive in NYC, where we park in spaces smaller than the car) :p Amazing thing, the Daytona, and that shiver-your-giblets exhaust note was something special.

Flying Lawyer
4th Oct 2006, 17:05
"that shiver-your-giblets exhaust note"

I couldn't put it better. :)
Not the quickest car I've owned, and the 'best road-holding award' (by far) goes to another favourite, but that sound is heavenly. The 'boy racers' here fit noisy exhausts and rev high, but it just sounds like ..... high revving through a noisy exhaust.

CarltonBrowne the FO
4th Oct 2006, 17:06
Current and favourite cars are the same: MG TF160.
I opted for the lowered and stiffened suspension option so the feedback from road surfaces can be a little too positive (especially on the cobbled section of the M42) but the acceleration is a joy, as is the cornering.
Leaving a mate's place in Beaconsfield yesterday, an RX8 was tailgating me through the 40mph section. At the roundabout for the dual carriageway, I stayed in second- at the start of the 70mph section he was starting to drift out into the outside lane. At that point I floored it an stayed in second to 7000 rpm- amazing how fast the RX8 shrank in my mirror. He almost caught me by the junction with the M40- where I did the same trick again. :E
BTW bjcc, although I had fun with the acceleration I stayed below the posted speed limit at all times- when he eventually caught me on the M40 I was doing about 65 and he was probably doing a bit more...

ormus55
4th Oct 2006, 17:53
bugatti veyron.
acceleration 0-100 and back to a stop, in 9.9 seconds!
amazing for the size of the car. a F1 car is about a second quicker.

the aston martin was the first car to do it in 20 seconds some 40 yrs ago!
simply stunning at the time. nothing could beat it for yrs.

who can guess which car beat the aston martin db4?

Smiliesam
4th Oct 2006, 18:06
Current; Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.something diesel. Dead comfy; must do something about the bull bars though.

Favorite ; Ford Explorer, 4L Petrol ,kept getting call backs for new all sorts including brand new tyres (Big tyres, not the puny US size ones) :)

stickandrudderman
7th Oct 2006, 07:13
I'm fortunate enough to own an independent Merc garage in West London, so have driven and owned lots & lots of nice cars.
My favourite? Well, I'm afraid there isn't one!
No car meets all needs (like aeroplanes and women I guess?), but I did race a Ginetta for a while, which I miss, and the Honda S2000 is an absolutely awesome car.
I drove a 308GTB for a while and it was rubbish!:yuk:
However, the best compromise for me is a 1990 Merc 500SEC.
Classy, fast, comfortable, very reliable, cheap to buy now, (as long as you don't buy a rust bucket!) and best of all, should it fail, the bits are easily available second hand in exchange for a bag of nuts!
The girlfriend drives a merc 300 diesel multivalve estate, w124 model, and this is also a fantastic car. You can get more in the back of this than you can in a Shogun!

Crepello
9th Oct 2006, 02:21
Current car: 2005 Mazda RX-8.

Favourite car: See above. It's almost my ideal vehicle, save for a few things I'd change but "there ain't no such thing" as perfect. Goes like snot, brilliantly balanced, and never sold in great numbers so earns me occasional compliments from strangers - unlike the Beamer 3s which I like, but which are ten-a-penny here in Houston.

When I bought it, I asked the salesman why there were so many low-mileage examples on the pre-owned forecourt: "Do people tire of them quickly?" He laughed, and replied that most buyers quickly found female company, and shortly needed something more family-oriented!

Lo and behold... Ms Crepello (a recent addition) will get to drive it next weekend on our roadtrip, and is muchly excited by the prospect. If only I'd had 4-point seatbelts retrofitted... :E

Close Second: My oul' Dodge Durango, 5.9 litre V8. Great fun to drive, but it's thirst made it an enemy of Mother Nature... who wreaked her revenge by killing poor DD in Hurricane Katrina. Poetic justice perhaps, but I'm grateful for the memories... :)

tubthumper
9th Oct 2006, 09:16
Current car: Renault Laguna II, nothing but heartache and trouble. Hate the damn thing, but can't afford to replace it yet.

Favourite car: Either the current Mrs Thumper's Honda Jazz (next car's gonna be a Honda), or the black Porkie 944 Turbo I had when I was young, single, carefree, had a disposable income, a sense of optimism....

Standard Noise
9th Oct 2006, 10:29
Current car - Discovery Td5, done 72k and no major problems with it. My man who 'sorts it out' for me says it'll do at least another 100k on this engine, so it may be around for some time, although in the next breath, he tried to sell me a Y reg Ranger 4.6 Vogue with a gas conversion. I was tempted, but I love the Disco too much.

Fave car - 1990 Caterham 7 with a 1700 Ford crossflow in BRG (you can keep yer Ferraris, the noise of this one was a true scarer of horses, children and doddery old ladies). Marvellous. Had a mate at LACC who came to visit with his 28K Honda S2000 and he left seething with jeaousy. Marvellous!

Foss
9th Oct 2006, 19:42
A friend took me for a spin in his Caterham at York. You may have heard 'for the love of sweet Jesus slow down' in London.
Flipping fighter pilots, need hit on the head with a cricket bat once in a while.
Fos

B Fraser
9th Oct 2006, 20:14
Current Car - a 3.2S mid engined meisterstuck from Stuttgart

Fave Car -the 930T rear engined meisterstuck from Stuttgart

If they had built fighters in WW2, we'd all be eating sausages for tea :uhoh:

AcroChik
9th Oct 2006, 20:20
You mean wurst with Heffeweitzen :p

G-CPTN
9th Oct 2006, 21:12
They built the Kubelwagen

SXB
9th Oct 2006, 22:36
Current car is a BMW 325 Convertable (E46 I think) though it aint very practical when you have two kids, it's 18 months old and it will be history by it's second birthday.

Best car I had was my previous car which was a Mercedes E270 CDI.

I have a little savings plan which will mature in about 3 years (wife is only vaguely aware of it) and when it does I'll being buying somthing just for me, it will be red, German and will have the numbers 911 on the bodywork. My kids won't be allowed anywhere near it unless wearing chemical detox suits, nor will my wife, who spilt nail varnish on the seats of my BMW last week which I'm still trying to pick out of the leather....

jon s gull
9th Oct 2006, 23:32
Don't own a car anymore but the wife has a 1993 Chevrolet silverado
seats six and has a 6'9" tray for all the rest
It does everything, carries both motorcycles easily
5.0 lt V8 through a 2 1/2" unbaffled exhaust sounds terrific
Great for drifting on dirt roads

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5097/dcp39068dm.jpg

Amongst past favourites a string of landcruisers includind one with a 400cu in worked chevy V8
most fun in a mini 1100 cooper
but loved the 69 MGB roadster.

Eff Oh
10th Oct 2006, 00:53
Current car. Saab9-3 1.8 Vector Turbo. Excellent machine (had it 2 weeks and love it.) :ok: :ok:
Fav car. Prob Rover 216GTi real fly machine, shame it doesn't repel lamp posts. :} :hmm: :mad:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
10th Oct 2006, 01:23
This thread's nowhere near as funny as the worst car thread.

innuendo
10th Oct 2006, 06:15
Owned a Lotus Elite (the original fiberglass monocoque version) when I was based in Germany. Always something that required fixing but the most entertaining car I ever had, always remembered like a first love affair.

scran
10th Oct 2006, 06:19
Current: Nissan Pulsar (1.6)

Favourite: 1977 Toyota RA23 Celica (2 litre) :hmm:

Pan Pan Splash
10th Oct 2006, 09:33
Current ride is a dull Audi A4 TDious...

Fave... my little blue MR2.. yeah I know the rep, I know what top gear said, but trust me... 32 smiles per gallon... huge fun:ok:

EDIspotter
11th Oct 2006, 20:58
Current: 2002 BMW 318i SE (2.0) in a very dark grey metallic, 38k miles

Favourites.......

Realistic: Nissan 350z
Unrealistic: McLaren F1 GTR (in orange of course)

John Eacott
12th Oct 2006, 02:21
Current: X5 and a Boxster S

Favourite: easier to list the hates ;)

But the Elan S4/SE was bags of fun, closely followed by the last HSV Grange - which was a darn sight faster and bigger, but would never have fitted down those Cornish lanes, with the tidy little Cornish "hedges" :ok:

Constable Clipcock
12th Oct 2006, 18:41
Current: 1995 Ford F-150XLT

Favorite: my father's 1955 Studebaker Commander.

Mr Lexx
1st Nov 2006, 14:43
HSV Grange - which was a darn sight faster and bigger, but would never have fitted down those Cornish lanes, with the tidy little Cornish "hedges" :ok:

Yep, the "hedges" are not all they seem........

Is the grange based on the old Omega platform? I cannot think of any other GM vehicle it could have come from.

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2006, 14:47
Fave and soon to be current car - Audi S2 Avant/estate - looks standard, but 245 bhp and 4wd. Goes like sh!t off a shovel, but sticks like sh!t to a blanket.

woolyalan
1st Nov 2006, 14:49
Current: BMW Mini Cooper

Favorite Owned: Austin Mini 30

Favorite wants:
Vanderbrink Carver - could own one in a few years :)
and
Rolls-Royce Phantom - no chance in owning one in this lifetime... unless I win the lottery

Mr Lexx
1st Nov 2006, 14:52
Are we talking the old S2 here? a la

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/Audi_S2_green.jpg/800px-Audi_S2_green.jpg

If so, nice choice!

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2006, 16:21
Yep, that's the S2 I mean, 'cept the one I'm getting is estate, not coupe. No need to pull birds anymore, more important to put large dog in the back now, and by large dog I mean Dobermann :}

My only concern is my licence. I think I'll be on 9 points before Xmas....(on zero now)

Bus429
1st Nov 2006, 16:48
Current cars:
Mrs. 429 has a Citroen C3 SX - nice car, 1.4 HDi, handles very well and its emissions mean only £50 road duty/yr (65+MPG).
I have a Citroen C4 SX - also nice, 1.6 HDi, a little heavy on handling, emissions mean £110/yr (55-60 MPG)
Favourites in the past:
Audi 80 1.9 TDi
Opel Manta GTE

Lancelot37
1st Nov 2006, 17:13
Current: BMW Mini Cooper

Favorite Owned: Austin Mini 30

First new car Austin A30 in 1953.

Latest car.
Citroen Picasso 2lts petrol Automatic with Climate Control and Cruise Control. Bought because of 30 years of back trouble and experience of about 26 cars over the last 53 years of driving and over 2,000,000 miles. It is comfortable carrying my 20 stone 6' 3" body.
Easy to get in and out of, and still able to walk after a 700 mile trip.

Flightman
1st Nov 2006, 18:56
bugatti veyron.
acceleration 0-100 and back to a stop, in 9.9 seconds!
amazing for the size of the car. a F1 car is about a second quicker.

the aston martin was the first car to do it in 20 seconds some 40 yrs ago!
simply stunning at the time. nothing could beat it for yrs.

who can guess which car beat the aston martin db4?

Current F1 car does 0-100-0 in approx 4.5 to 5 seconds. Remember its approx 850bhp, but only weighs 500kg. Veyron is 987bhp, but over 4x the weight.

pic777
1st Nov 2006, 20:52
AUDI S8 (4) and SL55 AMG (2)

Mr Lexx
1st Nov 2006, 21:14
Pic777

Which is your current car and which is the favourite car you have owned?

groundhogbhx
1st Nov 2006, 21:42
Current car, Focus C-Max 2.0TDCi Ghia, all singing all dancing and goes like shit off a shovel. particularly like the fridge in the arm rest to keep the drinks cold on a hot day and the heated seats for the cold ones! 45+ to the gallon doing 80 down the motorway isn't bad either.

Fav's would be my Morris Minor, just been totally rebuilt by my Dad and looking very good, the number of boy racers I left for dead down country lanes was unbelievable:} Also loved my Dad's company Sierra 2.0GL, very fast and stuck to the road like glue, unlike his first Sierra that would try to change lanes in even the slightest crosswind:eek:

rotorcraig
1st Nov 2006, 22:48
Current: Merc C180

Favourite: MR2 (a proper old one :ok:, not the new hairdresser's sort :=)

CoodaShooda
2nd Nov 2006, 02:51
Current 2005 Toyota Kluger - Poor man's BMW X5 but better bang for the buck :E

Favourite 1976 Datsun 180B SSS Bought new. Gave me 13 years and 500,000km (almost) troublefree motoring.

Coodakid 2 bought his first car in February, a 1999 Honda Prelude. Traded it for his second car in July - 2006 Honda Integra S. And they wonder why we become grumpy old men...:*

tinpis
2nd Nov 2006, 02:59
Gawd cooda my first was a 1936 Morris 8

Fraid Im a convert of ex Govt Toyotas from Pickles now.

Last one I bought the pax seats hadnt been used the boot was new untouched

CoodaShooda
2nd Nov 2006, 05:57
I thought a 1936 Morris was considered a modern vehicle in 1980's New Zealand :eek:

[QUOTE][ex Govt Toyotas from Pickles /QUOTE]

That would be Lady Cooda's trusty steed :}

Bought one 4 years ago with 45,000 on the clock. Its now 6 years old with 80,000 on the clock. Extended warranty runs out tomorrow. Dealer agreed to replace the valve stem seals under warranty today. :ok: :E

tinpis
2nd Nov 2006, 06:19
And no doing over 130kmh from now on Cooda

I reckon they gonna lose a few motorists from opening the door and stepping out for a bit of fresh air

Cameronian
3rd Nov 2006, 09:00
Currently I have a T5R saloon which I've had since new - it's a Very Effective Car Indeed and especially so from 40 to 120 mph.
I have to say that, all in all, the best has to be the CitroŽn BX GTI 16 valve car which I still have even though I bought it new nearly 19 years ago. It weighs exactly a ton and has 160 bhp and those were extremely good numbers all those years ago - and they stand up pretty well today, too. Unlike the ordinary BX GTI, it handles like a kart and it has the best suspension and brakes in the business. CitroŽns - you have to have had one to know....... and mine has no rust and has been reliable too!

Hostie2201
3rd Nov 2006, 10:59
Current car Subaru Imprezza WRX

Favourite car the one I have now!

pic777
4th Nov 2006, 18:17
Mr. Lex:
Sorry, both :D (4) is 4 yrs old

Capt Claret
4th Nov 2006, 21:29
http://www.users.bigpond.com/garrettgundry/PPRuNe/Landcruiser_recovery_vehicles.jpg

Crossing the Roper River @ Roper Bar, having successfully rescued some busted down cruisers! :p

Jerricho
4th Nov 2006, 21:37
Hostie2201, what year?

soddim
4th Nov 2006, 22:51
Current car Honda S2000

Got to be the most fun ride but I need the family estate car to supplement it in case the golf clubs are playing away!

Hostie2201
6th Nov 2006, 15:02
Jerricho, its 1 1996, its a great car, drove it all the way to Africa and back a couple of years ago :)