PDA

View Full Version : Only in the UK

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Oct 2006, 12:14
Hows this for barefaced cheek.
Traffic wardens at thier best (http://www.ntlworld.com/news/story_uk.php?page_zone=267.7.1&storyid=41752433)

tony draper
3rd Oct 2006, 12:22
I believe Spike Milligan actually once used that defence when he was up in front of the beak for illegal parking,
"Milud a fat Policeman was lurking in the bushes with a pot of yellow paint, and after I had parked he leapt out and painted yellow line round my car"
Or words to that effect.
As I recal the beak was not impressed
:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
3rd Oct 2006, 12:42
Good story (apart from all the popups :* ) but one wonders if there might have been say a teeny tiny notice somewhere that said the street was going to be painted and perhaps Mr. Kahn sort of chose to overlook the sign.

It's a little odd after all if he were the only car on the street . . .

Bahn-Jeaux
3rd Oct 2006, 13:33
Sorry about the pop ups.
Have a blocker on so didnt realise there were any.

Curious Pax
3rd Oct 2006, 13:38
The same story in the Manchester Evening News said that was a gap left when the road was re-tarmaced, and the lines repainted a while back (also because of a parked car). The driver acknowledged that it was only a matter of time before they got filled in, and as the council cancelled the ticket something of a non-story I would have thought.

Why you would think this could only happen in Britain is beyond me!

As an aside, whilst thinking about peculiar aspects of beaurocracy - in NL it is not mandatory for over 14s to carry id (passport for foreigners such as myself). However if the police have cause to stop you for any reason, and discover that you are not carrying any id then you are committing an offence. Not figured that one out yet.....

Earthmover
3rd Oct 2006, 23:22
It's not just the UK, as Curious Pax said

In Switzerland:

Clothes may not be hung out to dry on Sunday.
You may not wash your car on a Sunday.
It is considered an offence to mow your lawn on a Sunday, because it causes too much noise.
It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 PM
A man may not relieve himself while standing after 10 PM (one assumes that they mean in public)

AcroChik
3rd Oct 2006, 23:27
The best description I've ever heard of Switzerland ~ I've been to Geneva and Neuchatel a number of times and like the place very much ~ is "A police state with a smile." Told to me by a Swiss.

The traffic warden thing is surreal.

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2006, 00:03
In Switzerland:
A man may not relieve himself while standing after 10 PM (one assumes that they mean in public)
Have you never heard the NOISE a stream can make in the depth of the night? A sound which can reverberate through any apartment block or hotel.
And I'm NOT taking the P!$$. The trouble with men urinating whilst sitting-down is that, you must manually direct the spout, otherwise it will merely flow between the bowl and the seat (especially if you are 'excited').
I've tried it - I know!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
4th Oct 2006, 01:17
you mean you can actually get it inside the bowl when excited? :( I have to leave the bathroom door open.

Krystal n chips
4th Oct 2006, 06:08
Good story (apart from all the popups :* ) but one wonders if there might have been say a teeny tiny notice somewhere that said the street was going to be painted and perhaps Mr. Kahn sort of chose to overlook the sign.

It's a little odd after all if he were the only car on the street . . .

Leaving the surreal aspect of this little incident to one side, I would suggest after viewing the event last night, you are closer to the truth than you think. I know the location of this street, and frankly there are yellow lines everywhere. My guess is that he chanced his arm---and got away with it in this instance---however----he is also now seeking around 550 for, er, damage to his tyres :confused: caused, allegedly, during the painting. Six and two three's comes to mind.

Flying_bear
4th Oct 2006, 20:02
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/appeal-now-parking-ticket-p1.php (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/appeal-now-parking-ticket-p1.php)

FB

High_lander
5th Oct 2006, 00:17
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/jump-in-my-car-p1.php

Does KIT get tickets?