PDA

View Full Version : got myself in a spot of bother...

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:21
...and need a bit of advice.
i came in from work last night had some dinner,did my hair,watched tv etc etc.got up this morning,got ready for work,about to leave and i cant find my car keys to my Fiesta.now i know i had them last night because i came in from the car,then went back out cos i'd left my phone in there.ive turned the house upside down,looked everywhere i possibly could,ive even looked in the car,under the car and in the bin as i took some rubbish out the car on the way into the house.
so,should i keep demolishing the house in a bid to find my keys,buy a new ignition/door lock with keys and try to fit it myself with the assistance of my boyfriend and a haynes manual,or do i call my local Fraud Dealership and see if they can give me a new key?its a 98 Fiesta and the only spare key i have only opens doors and the boot :ugh:

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 10:30
How did you look in the car without the keys? If the car is open use a screwdriver, 2nd easiest car in the world to steal, if locked, use half a tennis ball over the key hole in drivers door :suspect:

planepsycho
3rd Oct 2006, 10:32
Have you looked in the refrigerator? ....or the clothes you were wearing last night, pockets?

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:32
i have my spare key which opens the doors and the boot,but wont start the engine

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:33
yep,and the freezer,and the cupboards in the kitchen,and under the toilet,under the chairs settee and my bed

panda-k-bear
3rd Oct 2006, 10:36
First thing that occurs to me - is your front door key onthe same keyring? Do you need to use your front door key to get back into your house (does the front door shut behind you)? If so, did you leave them in your front door?

If you did, and someone has walked off with them, get it to Ford and have it all changed professionally.

Oh, and have your front door lock changed while you're at it, preferably today!

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 10:38
If the keys were in the door wouldnt someone have robbed everything including car last night/this morning or whenever?

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:39
theyre on seperate keyrings.ive got my house keys nice and safe in my crew bag,and yes ive tipped that out and searched it too.and the other two that are lying around.my thoughts exactly re the keys being outside or in the car-i dont think it would be outside now.

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 10:40
Did you go for a slash when you got in? if so, did you flush them down the toilet? or leave them in the sink or something?

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 10:43
Hi Tigger. Do you have the red "master key"? If so, Ford will make cut and program you two new keys for your car. DO NOT TRY TO START THE CAR WITH THE RED KEY, YOU WILL PERMANENTLY IMMOBILISE IT!!!

If you have tried to start the car with the red one. Car will probably need to be towed to Ford for them to re-mobilise it.

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:43
a slash?!?!
dont you mean did i pop to the loo??:rolleyes:
no i didnt,i dont remember what i did with them.id have heard them go down anyway and because of the keyrings on there,they'd have difficulty going round the bend.

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:44
ignition hasnt been touched since i arrived home and took the key out of it last night.ive only got the key i normally use,and the spare key which opens the doors and boot but wont start the car.

RAC/OPS
3rd Oct 2006, 10:45
From the clues you have provided I know where they are....

The last place you will think of looking.

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 10:47
I really can't think of anywhere you may have left them, perhaps you ate 'em in your sleep :eek:

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 10:52
hmmm now where is the last place going to be!?!
i dont think i ate them wooly,im rather hungry

Paranoid Parrot
3rd Oct 2006, 10:54
Check your route between car and house thoroughly. Flowerbeds beside route, cracks in paving, grass areas, etc., especially areas with a similar colour to the key and keyring, i.e. dark and grey. You may miss them if you just go over the area cursorily. They usually camouflage themselves very well against the background to test your searching skills.

The Hustler
3rd Oct 2006, 10:55
If you went back out to the car for your phone, is there a possiblity that as you sat in the seat they slid down the side (by the central console or by the door) and are hidden under the edge of the seat? Happens to me quite a bit - I swear they design cars to eat loose change and anything else you are stupid enough to drop . . . :hmm:

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:00
i didnt sit in the seat as the phone was just on the passenger seat & it was the passenger door i opened.i dont think i left them in there as im pretty sure i locked the car from the outside.the keys have a blue & white keyring on so not hard to miss

slim_slag
3rd Oct 2006, 11:03
If you need to go to Ford to get new keys cut and programmed then you should prepare yourself and get ready to bend over, cos they are going to ream you.

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:07
122 plus recovery :ugh: still looking...theyre definitely not in the car,ive just emptied it,theyre definitely not in my crew bag either.back to turning the house upside down i guess!

Curious Pax
3rd Oct 2006, 11:12
Fallen into the lining of coat or handbag?

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 11:13
they can't have gone far, in the mean time get a haynes manual, and 'engineer' the steering lock so it doesn't engage, pull out the ignition thingie (forgot the technical name) and use a screwdriver, did it to my old car for a few weeks when the key snapped in my ignition

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:14
good news guys,after donning a rubber glove and digging down the back of an armchair,ive found them.they must have slipped down after i sat on my boyfriend's lap last night when i got in.oh well,least ive only got a red and swollen hand and not a 120 bill for new keys! thanks for all your help and suggestions tho,JB prooners are the best :}

vapilot2004
3rd Oct 2006, 11:16
122. that's not fair ! - they will pay that for a Mercedes over here :p

Try having a close friend over that is good at finding things or just good at being a friend - and then look and look around for a half-day. Worked for me with an important safety deposit box key.

I wish you luck. :)

vapilot2004
3rd Oct 2006, 11:17
oh well never mind then - no I take that back - good luck all the same :)

The Hustler
3rd Oct 2006, 11:19
I can't believe nobody suggested 'down the back of the sofa' - we suck :hmm:

maxburner
3rd Oct 2006, 11:24
When this happens to me I blame my wife for moving them. She goes and finds them, usually just where I left them, and hey presto, problem solved.

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:27
sounds like my mother,lol

seacue
3rd Oct 2006, 11:36
When that I was 14*, my mother's purse vanished from right inside our home. She looked everywhere. Her conclusing was that it was stolen in broad daylight while we were at home - it was a large house (rented). That was long ago and the police responded. Didn't take them long to find that said purse was on a dining room chair pushed up to the table, thus hiding the purse. They were not amused.

* Southern US dialect. Story took place in Richmond, Virginia.

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:39
in this country she'd probably get arrested for wasting police time for an incident like that!

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:40
Paris,you never know where spiders may hide,and i'd rather have a spider trying to walk on a rubber glove than on my own bare hands.the thought of getting so close to a spider makes me feel sick :yuk:

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 11:44
Hmmm,
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245818
If its a spider like this one then thats understandable, sends shivers down my spine:\

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 11:50
ooooh i saw that the other day.....vile little things.there was one on the landing the other day and it was a bit of a child eating monster (which i dont mind if it goes and eats next doors kids) but its now vanished and im paranoid im going to wake up next to it one morning

tony draper
3rd Oct 2006, 12:05
Once lost the metal outer cover for a large computer tower case,one thunk this is rediculous one simply cannot lose summat that big,searched high and low but it was gone,had to assume someone had walked into the house and nicked it which was crazy ,about three days later found it pushed up agin and wrapped around the rubbish bin in the kitchen which was exactly the same cream colour.
:uhoh:

slim_slag
3rd Oct 2006, 12:05
If you only have one key to these cars with immobilisers you really do need to bite the bullet and get a second one cut and programmed by Ford. Then get an additional one and program it yourself. That way, if you lose one key and only have two left you can still program another one yourself.

If you get yourself into the situation of only having one key and you lose that, you are well and truly stuffed. Ford and a towing company will take all your money.

Had a little showdown with the local Ford dealership recently over this very issue. Had to get another key programmed and was quoted one hour labour. Yeah I thought, bend over but nothing I can do about it. Left car and was told to come back in one hour. When I returned the car was still in the same spot that I had parked it and no work had been done.

Spoke to a different girl who ran off to see the manager and came back and told me it would be ready in ten minutes. Ten minutes I said - I was quoted one hour labour, and you now say it will be ready in ten minutes. How can that be?

Well, that caused quite a stink, but they stuck to their one hour labour quote. Eventually after I mentioned the 'fraud' word they said that as a gesture of goodwill they would give me a 'discount' on labour.

I still got reamed, but paid the actual labour time, which I think is a result. Now I have three keys and if I lose one I can reprogram another myself.

panda-k-bear
3rd Oct 2006, 12:09
Yes, had to have a key done for an Alfa once (a modern one that needs programming) after my spare got repeatedly slammed in our front door and got bent 90 degrees (don't ask). That was, AFAIR, about 90 quid. Rip off of fantastical proportions.

angels
3rd Oct 2006, 12:12
i sat on my boyfriend's lap last night when i got in.oh well,least ive only got a red and swollen hand

May I nominate this for quote of the year?

By heck! Imagine the state of the boyfriend!!!

Glad you got the keys back okay. :}

oldbeefer
3rd Oct 2006, 12:12
Lucky boyfriend!

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 12:15
oh dear what have i got myself into.lol.only on JB!!!:}

woolyalan
3rd Oct 2006, 12:18
For some reason I just read this thread title and saw:
"Got myself a spot on big brother..."

How I saw that I dont know, especially since I have already posted a few times :confused:

must be going mad!

Foss
3rd Oct 2006, 12:34
The clanging noise in the washing machine is usually a giveaway for me because I haven't taken the car keys out of my pocket, again.

But I've got spares, woo hoo. And a black plastic key, but I'm not about to try that. cause I don't know what it's for
Vorsprung der crapnick

Fos

ChocksAwayUK
3rd Oct 2006, 12:36
I can't believe nobody suggested 'down the back of the sofa' - we suck :hmm:

I actually did type it before reflecting on the ridiculousness of remotely advising someone I don't know on places to look for their lost keys on the internet. It all seemed a bit bizarre so I never clicked 'submit'!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
3rd Oct 2006, 12:37
Can't you just give them the VIN, or whatever it's called in the UK and get the key cut off that? - and tha's assuming you don't still have the tag with the key number on it? In any caes, it takes two seconds to program a keyless remote system and 1.5 of that is using google to find the answer (or maybe even reading the book - my misses' Jeep has the instructions right in the book).

Seriously, just do a search on Fiesta Owners Club and I gaurantee you'll find a bulletin board with every answer you could need. Check out passatworld.com (http://www.passatworld.com/forums) if you have a passat like what I do.

I just checked and got many many hits on Fiesta Owners Club :ok:

gingernut
3rd Oct 2006, 14:25
Sorry, I havn't had time to read the whole thread- have you looked down the back of the sofa?

rhythm method
3rd Oct 2006, 17:30
Very witty gingernut! I was about to suggest the same! :E

ShyTorque
3rd Oct 2006, 17:59
I've been reading through this and becoming more intrigued by ongoing comments about things such as: boyfriends lap / rubber glove / red and swollen hand........ I'm glad someone else mentioned this "OO-ER Missus!" first! ;)

G-CPTN
3rd Oct 2006, 18:34
vile little things.there was one on the landing the other day and it was a bit of a child eating monster (which i dont mind if it goes and eats next doors kids) but its now vanished and im paranoid im going to wake up next to it one morning
What a way to refer to her boyfriend . . .

Hoping
3rd Oct 2006, 18:39
Call the local scrap yard to collect it and get a new car, not a Ford, Peugeot, Vauxhall, VW or BMW though.

What better excuse do you need to get rid of such a nasty popular car as a fiesta?

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2006, 19:53
Well,Hoping,when its a first car and im earning a measly cabin crew wage,then unfortuunately a "nasty popular car as a fiesta" is all i can afford.unless of course youre offering to buy me a brand new Aston Martin V8 Vantage,in which case i will happily get rid of my fiesta.

why is there always some miserable bu88er who has to spoil the fun?

Lon More
3rd Oct 2006, 20:04
unless of course youre offering to buy me a brand new Aston Martin V8 Vantage,in which case i will happily get rid of my fiesta.

I'm sure one of the realy rich Ppruners would be happy to do so, ....might require you to dump the boyfriend though

gorgeous spotter
3rd Oct 2006, 20:57
Well,Hoping,when its a first car and im earning a measly cabin crew wage,then unfortuunately a "nasty popular car as a fiesta" is all i can afford.unless of course youre offering to buy me a brand new Aston Martin V8 Vantage,in which case i will happily get rid of my fiesta.

why is there always some miserable bu88er who has to spoil the fun?

There always is; don't bother to post your piccies, the rant will be even worse.......take it from me

ExSimGuy
3rd Oct 2006, 21:08
Spotter - are you advising Tigs not post images of her car - or of herself?

I would think that pics of herself would be quite welcomed; unless you know something that I don't ;)

High_lander
3rd Oct 2006, 21:11
Was in bed one night, reading "Fighter Boys" (cracking read), when all of a sudden, something very light landed on my shoulder.

Needless to say, one lept up, twitching ones body in the process to dislodge said object.

IT WAS A FECKING HOOOOOOOGE SPIDER

...that big across.

And according to Mr Jeeves- it was a House Spider (of some sort).

Still gives me the Heebies thinking about it
:{ :{ :{

gorgeous spotter
3rd Oct 2006, 21:29
Spotter - are you advising Tigs not post images of her car - or of herself?

I would think that pics of herself would be quite welcomed; unless you know something that I don't ;)

I'm sticking up for her!!! Gawd, don't you start!!:{ :{

Noah Zark.
3rd Oct 2006, 22:42
Amongst other "Trinkets" I received last Christmas was a "Lost Key Finder". This consisted of a key ring, to which was attached an electronic gizmo.
The idea behind it was that when you mislaid your keys, all you had to do was to clap, whistle, bang a drum, or whatever, and the gizmo would bleep, problem solved.
It wasn't used for several days, due to a prolonged bout of Vino Collapso, but the first time I took it for a drive attached to my car keys, I nearly ran off the road, trying to wrench the bloody thing off of the keyring.
It was going potty! There must be a frequency in my car which upset the gizmo's little brain, and it would not stop. So I did, and took it off the ring, wedged it down behind a seat squab so it couldn't hear the car, and I couldn't hear it, then when I got home, it was junked in ignominy!

tony draper
4th Oct 2006, 00:05
I have three sets of door keys deposited with three different sets of neigbours lest one wanders forth and omit to take keys, I also hold three sets of door keys for other neigbours,one should be prepeared as the boy scouts say,also one has to have neigbours one knows and trusts.
:rolleyes:
In times past the front door key was always on a string behind the door and one could reach same from the letter box, that or under the door mat,but that was in a time when this was a much more honest and law abiding place to live.

tiggerific_69
4th Oct 2006, 00:06
lol thanks both,shall i just post a picture of me AND my car and see what happens??!!
i was SO badly wishing for one of those car key finder things today!!

Noah Zark.
4th Oct 2006, 00:16
Tigger,
I could send you my old one, you'll hear the bloody thing coming! :)

tiggerific_69
4th Oct 2006, 20:12
any idea where this gadgetry can be purchase Noah

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2006, 20:27
http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=196
Advantages Kind of works - it bleeps when you whistle..
Disadvantages Or when anyone else whistles...or any sort of noise gets to it!
I was probably 14 years old when I first got my key-finder keyring, and so, I was probably a couple of weeks older than that when I decided that my £5 that was sent to Innovations may well have been better spent on something else. Like anything.
Well - these things work. Don't get me wrong on that. You whistle, and the dear little blighter will bleep at you. Or you clap, and it'll respond, wherever it is in the room. And here comes problem number one - sometimes it's 'ears' are muffled, because it's been buried under something and its sensor it blocked. So, it will show you where you keys are, so long as your keys aren't buried somewhere, hard to find, lost etc - or providing it's batteries haven't run out. Useful. Secondly, the gadget is remarkably indiscriminate. I spent several days of my school life with friends whistling at me, clapping at me - normally in awkward situations such as exams. Brilliant. But the bleeper goes off all the time, for any sort of noise really so long as it's loud enough. Someone coughing next to you can remind you were your keys are.
So to a certain extent it works too well. It's lightweight, it's visually quite unoffensive, with a white body and a little red light that flashes when it beeps. But predominately, it's a piece of gimmicky trash that holds a certain novelty appeal for a certain limited amount of time.
Alternatively you could hang them on a hook on your belt.
(However, I've even lost a set of keys - still haven't found them! - employing this technique . . . )

Noah Zark.
4th Oct 2006, 21:33
Tigger,
Don't do it, please! Everything in G-CPTN's post above is true!
The thing will eventually require you to have therapy if you get one. In order to keep in touch with your keys, train your mind, don't lose it!
I couldn't be responsible for your demise if I were to in any way assist you in the acquisition of such a fiendish device. :eek:

Paul Wilson
4th Oct 2006, 22:02
Number one rule - put ALL keys on one ring, I have one set set of keys for car, house, neighbours house, grandads house mums house etc. etc. ad nauseam on one ring. Due to lock design I know that if I am in the house I have my keys, if I am out of the house the weight tugging down the left side of my jacket tells me I've got my keys, if I am driving, the distracting brush of keys against right knee tells me I have my house keys - we need fingerprint entry for houses and cars.

Those of you who drive Fiats (and some Alfas) of 1990's or thereabouts vintage will have 1 RED key NEVER EVER EVER use it, up until about six months ago if you lost it the only solution to get your car running again was a new ECU for the car total cost call it 1000 all in and you won't get a shock. Recently a chap has found a way round it and can sort out your existing ECU and supply 3 keys (1 RED 2 BLACK) for the bargain price of around 450, but you have to get your garage (independant) to send it to him and you won't be able to use yuour car for about a week. For Fiat owners 122 sounds cheap. Guard your red key with your life, or the life of someone else you don't like quite as much as your own.