PDA

View Full Version : Foot in the door with 1000hrs ?

buzzc152
2nd Oct 2006, 17:47
Does anyone have any thoughts as to where a bod with approx 1000 piston hrs (incl 400 multi) might get his foot in the door with a biz jet out fit ?

Any leads appreciated.

Buzz

sinistar
5th Oct 2006, 06:22
Pay for your type and use your hand not your foot and try knocking on the door.
The first bit of advise is the most important these days.
Then swear your undying commitment to a life in GA and promise you'll never go to the airlines :rolleyes:

Phil Brockwell
5th Oct 2006, 07:24
You think anyone in GA believes you when you say "I don't ever want a command on a 757, I just want to be on call 24/7 for the Chieftain / Kingair / Citation / Hawker" (delete as appropriate).

Phil

chiaroscuro
5th Oct 2006, 08:56
GA goes a little further nowadays. G550, BBJ, A319CJ, 757, 767, 747 even 777 and two 787 orders a already meant for the privat sector. Sure you gotta start little but there is a lot of opportunities in the GA. I never regretted be a GA pilot after the service where a lot of my buddies have joined the majors ones and where are they now? nowbody can deny the fact that GA is more stable in terms of global wealth. the rich don't get poor. that's a fact.

Phil, I am commanding a G550 and personally I do not want to change it with anything else (well maybe the G650 in couple of years).

So Buzz, give it a try and you will find a challenging and developping world in front of you. and yes Buzz - there is hope for you and your hours. We just took a 1000 hrs SIC with almost no multi into our flight department.

CH

buzzc152
5th Oct 2006, 09:37
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd rather a career on a biz jet over heavy metal any day.

Pay for your type and use your hand not your foot and try knocking on the door. Actually, I find using a foot to kick down the doors has been more useful thus far...... and I wouldn't pay for a type rating on principle. Is that the wrong attitude as far as GA/biz jets go ??

Chiaroscuro....... don't suppose you have any other openings for FO's ??

PPRuNeUser0215
5th Oct 2006, 09:58
Phil not everyone wants to command an airliner... Personally I tried to get on Bizjets few years ago without any real success (I was already fly little GA planes;)).
I then realised that getting a job with the airlines was a lot easier and that it would bring me some valuable jet time.
Got to fly the 73,75 and 76 over a shortish period of time (didn't pay for any ratings before anyone asks). With GA experience (remember the little planes), medium and heavy time on jets, I went on to apply for a bizjet position (my firts love:) ).
Here I am now, where I wanted to be. Took me a bit but I guess, I got my airline jab (job) and I am now in a sector which interests me the most.
GA is a lot more exciting that airline flying but then again I see why people want to try it.
The problem is that once you work for an airline, it is difficult to convince yourself and your family that your future (and job satisfaction) is not where you are.
I guess I was so unhappy about it (and bored), I couldn't make a wrong move.