PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook Sim Check

ramjett18
2nd Oct 2006, 16:21
Hi,
Has anyne been called forward for a sim check with Thomas Cook, if so could you please let me know what the sim ride entails, sim a/c type, profiles etc, thanks in advance.

R18

fantom
2nd Oct 2006, 23:25
Hi,
Has anyne been called forward for a sim check with Thomas Cook, if so could you please let me know what the sim ride entails, sim a/c type, profiles etc, thanks in advance.
R18
So, if you are appearing in the sim with 'knowledge' from here will you declare that advantage (as you perceive it) ?
Look at my profile.
I wish you the very best of luck but I cannot condone advantage obtained herewith.
It should be a level ground. Your efforts to discover information is reasonable but to ask for the sim exercise is a move too far, in my humble opinion. What about those with no access to this medium?
Good luck.

ruthers
5th Oct 2006, 10:44
fantom,
a bit harsh don't you think? I believe it is a little unrealistic and if you think candidates will arrive at your sim (and i'm assuming from your profile you will be assessing prospective candidates) with zero prior knowledge of what they are about to be exposed to. I would call it preparation and as a prospective employer i would expect it from someone serious about working for my company?
Surely it makes no difference how people choose to prepare for their sim sessions or whether they have gathered information from this forum, friends, current TC employee's, etc.
Yes, once you are sat in the sim IT IS STILL a level playing field but does that mean if i have shown some inititive and bought some sim time prior to my assessment and practiced potential profiles i may have gained an 'unfair' advantage? You, as the assessor, still have the option of changing it all on the day if it's becoming all too predictable.
Also to say some people might not have access to this medium is also unrealistic as i believe the TC application is 'on-line' only and let's face it the inter-web is pretty accessable these days (and lets be honest many applicants will not have 'access' to current TC employees to grill for information, but many will - so it's swings and roundabouts).
I, and i would guess 90% of pilots reading these forums would not have the jobs they have now if it was not for some prior information of what to expect before their sim assessments......fail to prepare, prepare to fail!
Just my 2'penneth worth,
thanks.

EGBKFLYER
5th Oct 2006, 12:10
Ruthers - well put.

Fantom - your expectation that a candidates arriving for a sim check are on level ground borders on the naive. Different experience, different methods of preparation (you're surely not suggesting we do no preparation to be 'fair'?) etc ensure that no two candidates are alike. I've always understood that the sim was there to prove if you can fly to the set standard. So long as you can, why should there be a concern?

fantom
5th Oct 2006, 12:45
hmm...having given this a little thought, you both may be right. I have nothing to do with the candidates' assessments though; I only do the routine stuff.
In my defence, that is why I wrote what I did; it is unfair for pilots to have advance notice of the details of sim checks and that is why we keep them secret.
Seeing would-be joiners is not the same as assessing our own people and so I apologise for seeming harsh.
By the way, we are all a jolly good lot here so don't take any notice of my ill-considered post.
As I wrote: Good luck!

EGBKFLYER
5th Oct 2006, 13:29
:ok: I understand your point of view now Fantom.

I actually just experienced a very fair sim check - I was given details of the take-off and initial climb plus power settings etc, so that I could prepare (I've never flown that type before). However, the instrument procedures to be used were not revealed until the day and were chosen randomly. Thus I was given a fighting chance to fly the aircraft while following a procedure I hadn't seen, which seems right for what they were looking for.

ramjett18
5th Oct 2006, 15:18
Thanks for all your replys I don't have a sim check or interview just yet however I was trying to prepare myself just incase I'm lucky enough to be invited. Fantom your comments are understood and don't worry I have not taken offence.

R18