PDA

View Full Version : US Expat in NZ - taxes?

ackattacker
2nd Oct 2006, 03:48
Forgive me if this info is available elsewhere but I am royally confused. I'm hoping some Oz/Kiwi pilots can offer some insight.

There is a position being offered by Rishworth for pilots to be based in NZ and commuting to Fiji.

As a US citizen I know that foreign non-resident income up to a certain level (about $130k) is not taxed in the US.

But would this be subject to tax in NZ or Fiji? All the info I can find is highly confusing. The subject of residency is hard to pin down... most info says if you live more than 183 days out of the year in one place you are a resident. But in this job you would live only 5 days out of 14 in NZ and the rest be in hotels in Fiji. So resident or no?

Further complication... new tax law in NZ gives exemption for new residents on foreign income... but exemption does not apply to:

1. Employment income from overseas employment performed while living in New Zealand

2. Business income relating to services performed offshore.

Any insights? Or should I just break down and hire a tax consultant?

Cloud Cutter
2nd Oct 2006, 08:27
That's an interesting one. I'm pretty sure that as you are leaving the country each time to go to Fiji, you would only count the 5 days you are actually in NZ, and therefore would be a non-resident.

Seems like it would be easier to be based in Fiji and overnight in NZ with that roster?

propaganda
2nd Oct 2006, 09:12
If you are taxed on the Rishworth Air Pacific salary..it's not worth it.......
Pac Blue might be better also through Rishworth.