PDA

View Full Version : Cabin secure?

discountinvestigator
1st Oct 2006, 19:01
We have been having a debate in the office and I was completely stumped by a brainstorming question which came up...

How do you secure a guide dog in the cabin? We have references for double basses and stretchers etc. 40kg of dog lying on the floor is not "secure". Is there a specific harness and spare seat procedure? I certainly do not remember a dog being part of the seat certification requirements or part of the evacuation tests. A significant part of my work is associated with evacuations of aircraft which have failed to remain on runways, two of which recently have burst into flames, requiring full scale evacuations and had significant fatalities.

Does anybody have to clip the claws of the dog to make sure it does not tear the slide?

I have to say that I am not against their carriage or their owners, in the slightest.

Many thanks

Discount.

Markhkg
1st Oct 2006, 21:04
Hello there,
In my research, some carriers place the guide dogs against the bulkhead in a bulkhead row. The rationale is that during the impact, the dog will be "restrained" by the bulkhead (i.e. thrown against). This recommendation is remarkably similar to the old recommendation for lap babies: wrap them up in a blanket and place them on the floor in a bulkhead row. (UGHH!)

During evacuation, the dog is to be led to the door, and pushed off the slide.