PDA

View Full Version : You have the right to an Attorney, you have the ...

Two's in
1st Oct 2006, 13:25
My point here (do you need one on JB?) is the different approach to policing between the UK/US - this guy had "allegedly" shot a sherrif and his K9 the day before, and wounded another sherrif. Just about every Law Enforcement officer in Florida turned up for the Manhunt, and when they found him hiding in the woods, they put 68, yes, that's 68, rounds into him, from a total of 110fired (some range work needed I think). Other stories indicate he was probably a "Yardie" I believe the expression is, but he certainly won't be clogging up the judicial system or awaiting extradition to Jamaica any time soon.

Moral - If you shoot a cop, don't bother calling your attorney.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI30139/

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) -- Officers fired 110 rounds of ammunition at the suspect in the killing of a Polk County sheriff's deputy, according to an autopsy and records released by the sheriff's office Saturday.

Angilo Freeland -- who allegedly fatally shot Deputy Vernon Matthew Williams after being pulled over for speeding Thursday -- was hit 68 times by the SWAT team members' shots, the examination showed.

"You have to understand, he had already shot and killed a deputy, he had already shot and killed a K-9 and he shot and injured another deputy," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said by phone Saturday. "Quite frankly, we weren't taking any chances."

Freeland's death ended a search that plunged the generally quiet central Florida town of Lakeland into a frenzy. Schools were locked down and families were told to stay indoors as some 500 officers from around the state scoured the woods searching for a suspect.

Ten SWAT officers surrounded Freeland on Friday as he hid underneath brush and a fallen tree in a rural area. Authorities say he raised Williams' gun at them, prompting nine of the officers to fire.

"I suspect the only reason 110 rounds was all that was fired was that's all the ammunition they had," Judd said. "We were not going to take any chance of him shooting back."

The SWAT officers who shot Freeland -- previously identified as Angelo Freeland and Eswardo O. Ramclaim -- have been placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in all police shootings. They have also been ordered to undergo counseling, though Judd said they would likely be back on the job within a week.

Williams' autopsy was also returned Saturday, showing he had been shot eight times. The deputy had not been wearing a protective vest, but authorities said that would not have helped, since shots hit him in his right leg and behind his right ear, among other places.

Diogi, the German shepherd who was Williams' canine partner, was also killed in Thursday's shootout. An examination of the dog's body showed he had been shot once in the chest.

Authorities said deputy sheriff Doug Speirs was fired at several times by the suspect, and shot once in the leg, though he is no longer hospitalized. A sergeant and an officer from the Lakeland Police Department were also fired at, authorities said.

green granite
1st Oct 2006, 13:32
Think of all the money saved :}:ok:

ormus55
1st Oct 2006, 14:14
lets hear it for the yankee police.

ive always admired their way of law enforcement.
i look forward to the day when the uk police can do the same to the criminal morons we have here.

ps.
theres a few uk judges that need a bit of lead in the left ear too.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 14:20
But did they get the RIGHT GUY? Or was it just some unfortunate who went for a sh1t in the woods?

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Oct 2006, 14:22
Ten SWAT officers surrounded Freeland on Friday as he hid underneath brush and a fallen tree in a rural area. Authorities say he raised Williams' gun at them, prompting nine of the officers to fire.

Well, they plugged him when he pointed a firearm at them. Not something to ensure long term survival when dealing with a competent law enforcement agency.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 14:35
Ah!
Didn't read the small print . . .

Sorted!

Still, when he realised he was surrounded, he must have thought "Aw - SH1T!"

was it just some unfortunate who went for a sh1t in the woods?

Curious Pax
1st Oct 2006, 15:01
They can't really have surrounded him and then loosed off 110 rounds, otherwise it would be a dead suspect and 10 dead cops!

sled dog
1st Oct 2006, 16:09
I feel sorry for the dog :{

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 16:12
Just proves that 'Speed kills' . . .
Angilo Freeland -- who allegedly fatally shot Deputy Vernon Matthew Williams after being pulled over for speeding Thursday -- was hit 68 times by the SWAT team members' shots, the examination showed.
Couldn't they have just 'overlooked' the speeding? Perhaps European Champion should take note of how seriously they take things?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245773

Krystal n chips
1st Oct 2006, 16:24
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) --
"I suspect the only reason 110 rounds was all that was fired was that's all the ammunition they had," Judd said. "We were not going to take any chance of him shooting back."

Erm, why did one of them not fire I wonder ? Got to ---coughs---"admire ":rolleyes: the logic of the above statement however. True, I suppose in a way. But 110 rounds ??---and only 8 hit according to the autopsy ? :hmm:

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 16:45
Erm, why did one of them not fire I wonder ? Got to ---coughs---"admire ":rolleyes: the logic of the above statement however. True, I suppose in a way. But 110 rounds ??---and only 8 hit according to the autopsy ? :hmm:
The 8 were in the body of the slain lawman that prompted 'the hunt'.
was hit 68 times by the SWAT team members' shots, the examination showed.

Krystal n chips
1st Oct 2006, 17:17
Ahh ----Thanks for that and my Homer moment :\ :ugh: ----anyway, that still leaves 110 minus 68 which equals a lot of missed shots does it not ?

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2006, 17:51
Well, after the first few bullets, he wouldn't keep still . .

11Fan
1st Oct 2006, 23:14
The onset of lead poisoning often induces uncontrolled body spasms.

con-pilot
2nd Oct 2006, 00:19
Ah then, can one assume then that he would have been possibly more dead if all 110 round had hit the 'alleged murder suspect hiding in the woods with the murdered deputy's gun'.

Hell, I would have shot him just for killing the dog.

(Well not really, but I would have certainly given him firm thrashing.):=

Loose rivets
2nd Oct 2006, 04:20
A lot of folk down here like to kill each other.

A live "cops on the beat" type of program showed a K9 finding a revolver near to a stopped vehicle. The youths inside denied throwing anything out.

I cracked up when one of the policemen said, ‘Well I'll just go back an have a talk to the guy with the holster."

West Coast
2nd Oct 2006, 04:57
Occupational hazard of shooting at cops for a living.

slim_slag
2nd Oct 2006, 08:13
Had a sort of similar case near to a place I worked in the States. Bunch of kids were driving badly in an SUV and didn't stop when the cops told them to. End result was car surrounded by cops and riddled with bullets. no weapons found in the car, just kids being stupid.

I think there are written guidelines in the States which permit the police to use deadly force when a felony is being committed, or if somebody is fleeing from a felony. So as not stopping your car when the police flash red lights can be a felony, the cops can get off simply by ticking the felony box on the report/ticket. So these cops killed some kids and are still on the force (no doubt racked with guilt, but they should think of that before they start shooting)

Contempt of cop can be a capital offence in the States.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
2nd Oct 2006, 11:46
Hell, I would have shot him just for killing the dog.

(Well not really, but I would have certainly given him firm thrashing.)Con, you're becoming very English you know. Doubly so in this case. ;)

Two's in
2nd Oct 2006, 17:29
It does illustrate why there is no such thing as a "routine traffic stop" in the States (which is how this all started) and why you maybe don't want to have an attitude when being pulled over. You know it's for speeding, but the Cop is always balancing the "thoughtless motorist" versus the "homicidal drug dealer about blow me away" scenario in his mind. Give him the slightest reason to think he has encountered scenario two, and you might be in for a very unpleasant day. Next time you get pulled, it's probably worth waiting until the cop has established you as a speeder, before you go off on one.

AcroChik
2nd Oct 2006, 18:03
The fact that there's no such thing as a routine traffic stop was driven home recently when officers stopping a car in Las vegas noticed that the behavior of one of the passengers was unusual in specific ways.

They noticed the pulsing of the carotid artery in his neck, his unusual facial expression and posture. To these highly trained officers, these were key signals. Search of the vehicle revealed weapons, cash and other things, and, in the end, one of America's ten most wanted fugitives was arrested.

He was a pretty nasty character, as the link to the article will point out (please note I'm not saying that the Mormon religion is nasty, just the actions of this particular person):

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/30/us/30polygamy.html?ex=1314590400&en=8173826427826dbc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Here in post-9/11 New York, police have taken on a whole new role, one that makes their jobs, I'm sure, much more challenging. And, along with that has come a whole new way of relating to them. It's strictly, "Yes, sir," or "No, sir," and "Thank you, sir," depending on the question, and one only ever expresses understanding and gratitude for their position, keeping any other thoughts ~ if you have them ~ to one's self.

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2006, 18:13
Search of the vehicle revealed weapons,
had with him an assortment of wigs and $50,000 in cash, but no weapons, police officials said.
According to George Togliatti, the director of Nevada’s Department of Public Safety, a state trooper pulled over Mr. Jeffs’s red 2007 Cadillac Escalade because its temporary Colorado tag was obstructed.
The trooper thought a passenger in the Escalade resembled Mr. Jeffs, whom he had seen on the F.B.I. list. Mr. Jeffs at first gave an alias, Mr. Togliatti said, then acknowledged he was Warren Jeffs and was taken into custody just after 9 p.m. on Monday.
Steve Martinez, special agent in charge of the F.B.I.’s Las Vegas field office, said a search of the vehicle uncovered laptop computers, cellphones, the wigs and $50,000.
Point taken though. :ok:

AcroChik
2nd Oct 2006, 18:20
CNN's coverage of this arrest included an interview with one of the arresting officers. He had attended an advanced suspect identity and anti-terrorist training course. The officer spoke about observing the physical signs in the passenger and that these led to a search of the vehicle, etc. I can't seem to pull up the CNN piece now.

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2006, 18:25
CNN's coverage of this arrest included an interview with one of the arresting officers. He had attended an advanced suspect identity and anti-terrorist training course. The officer spoke about observing the physical signs in the passenger and that these led to a search of the vehicle, etc.
That's what DETECTIVE work is all about (and not just the plain clothes guys that get called-in AFTER there's been an offence reported).
Well done that officer!

(OTOH he was probably just a suspicious bastard that would search his grandmother's knickers for contraband . . . )

click
2nd Oct 2006, 19:15
I think the SWAT team should've used one of these! 68 out of 110 is damn good shooting considering it was probably on full auto.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/pushmonkey37320/RedneckHuntingTruck.jpg

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2006, 19:18
Wait a minute! That's NOT a Toyota!