PDA

View Full Version : You know you're getting old...

Foss
1st Oct 2006, 11:47
I went out last night to a concert woo hoo.
With several mates to watch The Cult.

Surrounded by Goths aged about 6 in combats and jump boots.
I'm wearing cream jeans and a coastal sailing jacket. Two of the other guys are wearing chinos. One is wearing a leather jacket so he fits in if he sits down and covers his legs.
'We are not going to the mosh pit, I'll put my knee out'
Put my knee out in the mosh pit.
Mate 1: 'That wee s**** has just put a black mark on my trousers'
Mate 2: 'It's very loud, I'm going to sit down for a bit'
Mate 3: 'We better be making a move, we (him and his wife) have to get the babysitter home and it's late.'

In the car, the car home, 'my knee hurts', 'I'm wet', 'My t-shirt isn't gay' 'I'm going to have dry clean these trousers y'know' 'Phone the babysitter'

Bit different from staying out until dawn in dressed like you're in special forces.
Like what we used to do.
Fos

green granite
1st Oct 2006, 13:07
It's not that you're getting old just that you aint the tramp you used to be :hmm::cool:

tiggerific_69
1st Oct 2006, 13:14
Fos youre not getting old! personally i find moshpits a bit intimidating these days after an unpleasant incident a few years back,but at least youre still going to concerts!

VFE
1st Oct 2006, 13:22
PMSL Foss! :} :}

What was it Lemmy once said? "If you think you're too old for rock n roll then you probably are!"

I can see myself getting to that stage one day too..... hopefully not for a few years yet tho!

VFE.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
1st Oct 2006, 14:09
If mosh pits are the arbiter, I guess I was ALWAYS too old.

More tea vicar?

AcroChik
1st Oct 2006, 14:24
Bit different from staying out until dawn dressed like you're in special forces. Fos

That only works if you're actually in the special forces.

Goth is a major felony among crimes of fashion.

One's never the right age to look like when the sun comes up the place to be is asleep in a coffin with one's burial shroud held together by diaper pins.

VFE
1st Oct 2006, 14:25
On thursday night I shall be entering The Stranglers mosh pit - funny thing is, I'm usually one of the younger ones battling to maintain upright attitude whilst being squashed and thrown around by hundreds of fat, bald and sweaty 40-something blokes trying to relive their youth!

VFE.

Foss
1st Oct 2006, 15:07
To be honest i just used the children in black as a safety barrier so I didn't fall over and get trampled to death.

Stage diving
When a wee toe rag jumps off the stage...
take a step to the left, then point and laugh as he hits the ground.
Well they've got to learn.

Stuff in your pockets
I've mentioned my lawyer mate before. As we arrived at the venue he had removed his watch, all his money, his mobile, his wallet, his house keys, and then went completely mental. He's 37. He's also the one who bought a 'gay' t-shirt, we said, cause it was yellow, so he went and bought a black one as well.

Headbanging
Don't stand too close behind someone headbanging at a Prodigy concert. You get headbutted in reverse. It smarts. And since you can't move, you.ve got to take it, on the chin so to speak.

er VFE whats PMSL?

Fos ears slightly ringing in a goth kinda way

Jerricho
1st Oct 2006, 15:10
PMSL = Pissed my self laughing

Something else you do when you get old :p

Foss
1st Oct 2006, 15:13
Gotcha Jerr, pmsl now as well.
Cheers.
Fos

TBirdFrank
1st Oct 2006, 15:23
Moody Blues tonight - how old is that?

MyData
1st Oct 2006, 15:37
You know you're getting old when...

It isn't your friend, but your friend's daughter who you see in FHM's High Street Honey's magazine... :(

ShyTorque
1st Oct 2006, 15:48
You know you're getting old when you're not really sure what "mosh pit" is.

Is it what Sean Connery (as 007) advises the sultry secretary when she's polishing his toecaps with a cloth?

"Mosh pit, Mish Moneypenny, use mosh pit!"

And I DID mean polishing his SHOE toecaps. Nothing else. :E

frostbite
1st Oct 2006, 15:49
I shall get out my record of 'The Oldest Swinger in Town' (Fred Wedlock) in honour of this thread.

Foss
1st Oct 2006, 19:31
Just as long as nobody mentions Showaddywaddy. Then you know you're in trouble.
It's only a matter of time until...

bingo. :sad:

Saying that though, now I need an big car, a graded career plan, a girlfriend/wife, savings, a pension, a mortgage where as when younger I was happy miming 'Chain Gang' with my brother.
Including actions.
the shame, the shame
Fos

ormus55
1st Oct 2006, 19:48
you know your old when you need a sponge pad to kneel on, when tiling the kitchen walls, like i did today.

ouch, my neck hurts too.

gorgeous spotter
1st Oct 2006, 20:56
you know your old when you need a sponge pad to kneel on, when tiling the kitchen walls, like i did today.

ouch, my neck hurts too.

Thanks Ormus 55; you gave me the laugh I needed today!!!:) four hours of ironing and two of exercise has done my back and neck in too:)

frostbite
1st Oct 2006, 21:09
If you want to do funny walks for a week, try changing the front disc pads on your car in the driveway!

Will you walk this way?..........

reynoldsno1
1st Oct 2006, 21:18
Moody Blues tonight - how old is that?
The Moody Blues were sixty years old when they started ......:ooh:

JustaFew
1st Oct 2006, 23:23
VFE Lemmy also said that if we moved in next door your lawn would die.
The lawn must've been old...

TBirdFrank
1st Oct 2006, 23:37
The Moodys tonight were more for Mrs TBF than me - alright though - but next month its the poor man's Moody Blues - Barclay James Harvest - or what's left of them.

Orchestral rock from downtown Diggle - good stuff if you are in to that sort of thing

The Big Bunny DC-9
2nd Oct 2006, 00:14
On thursday night I shall be entering The Stranglers mosh pit - funny thing is, I'm usually one of the younger ones battling to maintain upright attitude whilst being squashed and thrown around by hundreds of fat, bald and sweaty 40-something blokes trying to relive their youth!
VFE.
HOLY COW!! Is this the original line-up w/ Hugh Cornwell that you will be seeing?

planepsycho
2nd Oct 2006, 00:29
You're never too old to rock n' roll! :ok::confused: I didn't know what a mosh pit was until my daughters explained it to me a few years go. I always thought getting in a line which eventually led to getting squashed up in front of the stage was part of concert going. The best "mosh pit" I've ever been in was back in 1977 when I had tickets to AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock" tour :D
....Black Sabbath was pretty memorable too!:E

(it's not how old you are...it's how you are old)

prospector
2nd Oct 2006, 00:37
You know you are getting old when you think about what you have done, rather than what you are going to do.

con-pilot
2nd Oct 2006, 01:23
You can remember what you have done in the past?:ooh:

Shoot, I can't remember what I just went into the kitchen a minute ago for.:p

(Oh yeah, to get some beers to take into the bar. Now if I could find the bloody bottle opener,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2006, 01:28
Short-term (and even medium-term) amnesia are symptoms of getting old, as is the ability to recall perfectly events of 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50 years ago.
When you refer to events that occured before the time when the person to whom you are relating such events was born.
Realising that you are remembering happenings from a quarter century ago, a third of a century ago and half a century ago.
THAT's when you know you're getting old.

Fliegenmong
2nd Oct 2006, 02:42
When you take a nap, sniffing a hanky full of Olbas :E

G-CPTN
2nd Oct 2006, 02:54
Don't knock it if you've never tried it. It seemed to relax me to such an extent that I actually FELL asleep (albeit for only an hour or so). Now, although I'm no longer asleep (!) I don't have that dreadful feeling that accompanies sleep deprivation. Those who've raised disruptive babies will understand of what I'm talking. :hmm:

Foss
2nd Oct 2006, 11:57
Having a well rehearsed strategy for meeting someone who says hello, but for the life of you you can't remember their name, or why they are saying hello.
'er, how are you, how are you keeping'
my wife left me - This is my boyfriend - my entire family died in a freak accident
sh*t think, think
'Oh right, well... good to see you again, well bye'
quietly to the girlfriend 'who was that again'
'You went to school with him, played rugby with him, it's Paddy for God's sake. Are you simple? Have you been drinking?'
on shaky ground now, but persist
'Who was the girl with him?'
'His bloody wife, you were at the wedding, we bought them a bowl'
Hold up a white flag, surrender. :ugh:
Fos

ORAC
2nd Oct 2006, 12:49
Iīve got 2 tickets for Bruce Springsteen in Madrid on the 19th. Mate isnīt interested in going. So if anyone is, drop me a PM.

dudduddud
2nd Oct 2006, 12:54
...when you have DC-3 time.

Jerricho
2nd Oct 2006, 13:33
.....when you come home from your third night shift in a row and can only manage 3 beers before you want to try and get some sleep. Actually, maybe I will have that 4th.

Foss
2nd Oct 2006, 13:45
Leaving half a beer on the bar, because you just can't be bothered :eek:
Not minding driving drunk mates home at 0100hrs after you've pulled an 18 hour shift.

I draw the line at Classic FM :yuk:
I'm not that bloody old.

Fos

terrain safe
2nd Oct 2006, 21:19
You're in a Volvo garage and you think "These cars look nice....." :{:{

Ripline
2nd Oct 2006, 21:47
...you're outside Dunn & Co. thinking "Those knitted zip-front cardigans look comfortable".....

No, wait... the beige ones look even better.......

Foss
3rd Oct 2006, 12:18
Your elbow pops loudly when you reach for a remote control.

Getting out of a sports car next to a high kerb needs the word 'Jesus' a few times, then 'This effing car is like a baking tray it's that low'. 'Ow, ow'
Then small children looking at you cause your on your own, talking to a car, and you're not Knight Rider.
Fos

eastern wiseguy
3rd Oct 2006, 13:13
You find interesting articles in "The Peoples Friend" and one of those single tartan slippers with the one zip up the front looks "Really Useful".........:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Oct 2006, 13:16
...when you have DC-3 time.

:(

Rhubarbrhubarbrhubarbrhubarbrhubarbrhubarbrhubarb....

Ace Rimmer
3rd Oct 2006, 14:25
You overhear two young fillies talking about an actor "who is really lush for an old bloke" and the chap in question is younger than you. :ugh:

Blacksheep
3rd Oct 2006, 15:30
There's this story in the paper about some old geezer falling out of a coconut tree and bashing his head in.
"Dad, did you ever see the "Rolling Stones" live?"
"Nah! Well before my time they were...."

Though I hate to admit it, I not only saw the Stones live but even saw Lonnie Donegan and Tommy Steele live and had an argument with Adam Faith (he smashed my guitar, the miserable bar-steward...)

I was out 'clubbing' in Shanghai recently though and also went to a 'Darkness' gig with our youngest, so there's still hope for me I suppose. :}

Rather be Gardening
3rd Oct 2006, 15:32
You won't even entertain going on a trampoline in case everything heads south....and stays there.

Your favourite colour is Surgical Appliance Pink. You don't remember the last time you listened to Radio 1. Your new best friend is the Stannah rep and you think beige crimplene is a valid fashion choice.

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 15:34
when you choose a username "Rather be Gardening"
Sorry, couldn't resist! :}

Rather be Gardening
3rd Oct 2006, 15:47
Mr Lexx, if it's good enough for Charlie Dymock and Rachel de Thame........

Mr Lexx
3rd Oct 2006, 18:24
fair enough, fair enough;)

handysnaks
3rd Oct 2006, 18:27
...you're outside Dunn & Co. thinking "Those knitted zip-front cardigans look comfortable".....

When you rip off a Jasper Carrot joke and think nobody will notice;) (or care):p

Foss
3rd Oct 2006, 19:02
When you meet an old flame
How are you then you ask. Oh, married, two kids. One twelve, one nine.

How can you have a twelve year old kid, you're sixteen in my head

Then just walk away and try to find the car.

Fos

BOFH
3rd Oct 2006, 20:46
Foss

I draw the line at Classic FM

The music is fine - the presenters and the 'Have you made a will? - donate half your estate to a charity!' ads grate.

Being old is hearing other people around you, using 'I/he/she was like...' in every second sentence, and thanking a deity that you did not have to listen to that for all your life.

BOFH

High_lander
3rd Oct 2006, 21:28
Goth is a major felony among crimes of fashion.

And a "Croyden Face Lift" and a white Track Suit, finished off with white trainers and white cap isn't??

But even as a young lad like myself- there are some you do NOT go in- usually the ones with a 30yr old 6'4" guy who looks like he could snap you in half.

Ripline
3rd Oct 2006, 23:27
When you rip off a Jasper Carrot joke and think nobody will notice;) (or care):p

When you can't remember if you made it up or heard it on the telly umpteen years ago?

OK, OK, but the beige bit was all mine.....:uhoh:

Ripline

tony draper
3rd Oct 2006, 23:57
Very sensible garment is yer Cardigan one doesn't have to be a contortionist to get in and out of it, and slippers are infinitly more comfortable than bloody trainers.
:rolleyes:

PLovett
4th Oct 2006, 01:27
Don't knock Cardigans. := Steve McQueen wore one in "Bullitt" and as he was the epitome of "cool" that makes Cardigans cool. :ok:

Loose rivets
4th Oct 2006, 06:04
Mmm.......when the nice people at pprune send you another birthday greeting. Just changing me profile. :uhoh:

Oh! It's automatic, that's clever.

Tired Old Man
4th Oct 2006, 06:06
When you call yourself Tired Old Man:)

Blacksheep
5th Oct 2006, 02:57
Steve McQueen wore one in "Bullitt" and as he was the epitome of "cool"... Steve McQueen? He's an old age pensioner, no wonder he's fond of cardigans. One can't quite imagine Johnny Depp or Keanu Reeves in cardigans. :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2006, 03:04
Steve McQueen RIP
McQueen died on November 7, 1980, in Juárez, Mexico of a heart attack following cancer surgery.

Blacksheep
5th Oct 2006, 03:10
...and buried in his favourite cardigan. :ouch:

PLovett
5th Oct 2006, 05:06
Steve McQueen? He's an old age pensioner, no wonder he's fond of cardigans. One can't quite imagine Johnny Depp or Keanu Reeves in cardigans.
He wasn't when he made Bullitt. :E

As for those lesser lights .... not fit to mentioned in the same breath. :=

And as for you Blacksheep. Back to the jungle for your frivolity.:}

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2006, 05:09
McQueen never reached pensionable age. Perhaps you're thinking of Paul Newman?

West Coast
5th Oct 2006, 05:20
Getting old when....

All my favorite baseball and football players are now coaching the teams they played for in their youth.

BenThere
5th Oct 2006, 10:42
When an unexpected $5,000 check arrives and you pass up the 60 inch plasma TV in favor of a three year variable rate certificate of deposit.

Loose rivets
5th Oct 2006, 18:56
This says it all..........

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/health/05age.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

lexxity
5th Oct 2006, 19:08
LooseRivets can you copy and paste please, you need to register for the New York Times (and I have forgotten my password.:\ )

Foss
5th Oct 2006, 19:11
That's the dementia kicking in Lexxity.
You're going to have start writing notes to yourself.
;)
Fos

lexxity
5th Oct 2006, 19:18
Oh Foss if only you were joking. I have just thrown away todays "to do" list.
Seriously.:{

Foss
5th Oct 2006, 20:25
Lexxity
If it makes you feel any better, I can't remember PIN numbers so I store them in my phone. But I don't want to put in 'Fos's bank pin is XXXX' in case the phone is nicked, because it's not PINed.
So I give them a fake name but a real dialling code and a couple of extra digits in the contacts list, realistic eh.
Then it's 'what the holy Christ is my bank card called, flipping chip and pin to ease your purchase my a***.'
Fos

Lyneham Lad
5th Oct 2006, 20:39
You can just remember seeing a young chap called Long John Baldry at the Cleethorpes Jazz & Modern Music Festival..................

1964 if memory serves right.

PaperTiger
5th Oct 2006, 21:31
You can just remember seeing a young chap called Long John Baldry at the Cleethorpes Jazz & Modern Music Festival..................
1964 if memory serves right.Saw him at the Central Grill in Victoria (Canada) just a couple of years ago. Brilliant still :cool:

Sadly, no more :( .

ChampChump
5th Oct 2006, 22:36
When the Yoof at work creep up to ask if you have a chin link belt they can borrow, convinced they're onto a winner.
Worse, you do.
Worse still, it's for a fancy dress party, not even a third time around fashion.

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2006, 23:12
When someone in the Village organises a 60s disco in the late 80s, you find the original clothes but your teenage children say "You're NOT going out looking like THAT!?"
(I thought Mum's miniskirt was very decent, considering, and MY kipper tie was 'appropriate' . . . )

We DID have the last laugh though, when we joined-in with their 'pop' songs and they inquired how and why we'd learned the words :ugh:

ormus55
6th Oct 2006, 01:23
my 19 yr old daughter phones me up from a pub quiz and asks me 1960s pop questions!
and shes amazed when i get them all right!

Lon More
6th Oct 2006, 07:53
if it's good enough for Charlie Dymock
Alas, her best friends seem to have finally headed south

G-CPTN
6th Oct 2006, 08:25
Do Antipodean bosom pals 'head north'?

Mudfoot
6th Oct 2006, 11:41
You know you're getting old...

- when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night. :E

- when your friends hold a party and you decide to dance, and the "kids" watch you and take bets how much BenGay you'll need in the morning. :(

Ewwwwww, that hurts...