PDA

View Full Version : CPL Flight Rules & Air Law (CWLA)

multi_engined
1st Oct 2006, 06:08
Hi,

I made a thread before about my last exam (CPL Meteorology) and the tips/advice helped a lot and I passed first go which is why I am making another about my Air Law exam which I have on Wednesday week.

Please post any tips or resources that might be of use.

The 80% is really the only big worry since the last CPL exam.

Thanks,
M/E

777WakeTurbz
1st Oct 2006, 06:36
Tab the hell out of all your publications :} AIP, CAOs, CARs and CAAPs

Tab all the pages you feel are relevant, and then tab some more, have as much information already bookmarked as humanly possible so that you dont have to waste too much time using the index or remembering numbers though if you can remember the numbers it helps :E

Mark everything from Duty Times to Pilot Maintenance, privs and limitations of CPL and separation from CTA, operation of weather radar in vicinity... (prob not relevant to you but i got hit with that one by my CFI when i was studying CLWA), starting and refuelling ops etc.
Then highlight the important information on each page, make sure you read it as you do it so hopefully it will stick in your head.

But do lots of homework of course:E, i found that writing down the important stuff while reading it helped me to remember it, and then i had a booklet of all the important stuff to flick through when i needed it.

Good Luck

Turbz:ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
1st Oct 2006, 11:15
Like he said!

The easiest of the exams (IMHO) - you've got all of the answers at your desk.

Main tips:
- RTFQ
- know what's in each document so that you don't waste time looking in the wrong spot.
- if you can't recall where to look/an answer, skip the question and come back to it after you've already passed by answering the easier questions.
- I was suprised at how much stuff is in the CARs - but it's all the same few sections so make sure you know the definition of commercial activities, ELTs, rules of the air and low flying.

That's about it.

Not showing off (or maybe I am) but the only question I didn't know (and still don't - anyone!?!?) is the rules on when passenger lists must be left at the departure aerodrome - and that was with a detailed read of all the docs once and 4 Bob Tait pracitise exams over the course of a weekend.

Good luck!

UTR

jetstar1
1st Oct 2006, 11:48
the rules on when passenger lists must be left at the departure aerodrome

Do you mean CAO 20.16.1 para 7: Passenger Lists ?

Passenger carrying CHTR or RPT I think?

Xcel
1st Oct 2006, 12:34
Tab Books and highlight, do practice exams. Buy a pilots index and tab those, remember there is no limit to tab information, so put down section reference and topic...

multi_engined
2nd Oct 2006, 02:31
What are pilot index's?

777WakeTurbz
2nd Oct 2006, 03:30
What are pilot index's?

I could be wrong but the only thing i can think of is it might be an index you can get that has the references to everything in all of the publications, for example one topic might have a mention in several of the documents and it gives you the references for each one.

I had one and its quite handy, but im not sure if you can take it into the exam.

rmcdonal
2nd Oct 2006, 04:15
AFT provide all the tabs you could ever need....and then some. Plus their exams where spot on. Just do a whole heap of practice exams and you will breeze through it. Easy exam to pass, there is no real excuse to failing this one (unless you forget all your books). :ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Oct 2006, 05:14

Ahhhh - proves my point about knowing where stuff is! I searched 20.16.3 over and over again - my mistake for trying to look in the logical spot.

Thanks,

UTR.

PS Another tip I forgot to mention - as it shouldn't be a time-limited exam, do it twice! Read the questions again from scratch a second time around and see if you get the same answer.

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Oct 2006, 05:17

I do - proves my point about knowing where stuff it! I searched 20.16.3 over and over again - my mistake for trying to look in the logical spot.

Thanks,

UTR.

PS Another tip I forgot to mention - as it shouldn't be a time-limited exam, do it twice! Read the questions again from scratch a second time around and see if you get the same answer.

PPS Can't really see the value in pilot indexes as long as you've highlighted important sections in the table of contents - pretty sure they're not allowed in exams although I've seen one for sale (think it was IREX) which claimed to be allowed into the exams.