PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Recruitment

HEALY
1st Oct 2006, 01:48
Have a few of questions about Jet* recruitment.
1) Are they able to use Phsyc/Apptitude results if you have done it for QF mainline within 2 years?
2) Do you get the choice of A330/320 is is it dictated by demand at the time?
3) What is a typical roster in terms of overnights and days off for A320 fleet?
Responses greatly appreciated

Swanrider
1st Oct 2006, 01:51
Trust me, you don't want to go there.:rolleyes:

GUARD
1st Oct 2006, 03:05
Hi There HEALY,

First they have a review panel who determine if you have enough experience, then you either do or don't do a psych and skills ( even if you have current results ) as it all depends on which kid is in charge of making decisions that day. After that you may or may not have to do a sim and then you can look forward to a weird little interview at their head office in Melbourne. Just have loads of examples of all those times in life where you've led a team and descibe what your like when you get scared after which they leave you stranded in a small interview room until some office working pilot slips in and gives you the planning exam and at the end of the 70 minutes nobody even speaks to you and you just slide out the door.

As in my case, they conduct reference checks within about 2-4 weeks. You speak to your referees and they say it all went swimingly. Your application then goes to another " panel " and you either get rejected or you now have the opportunity to shell out $35000 plus be off work for 5-6 weeks and away you go.

Any time you call them you will get someone different who sounds really pumped to be part of the Jetstar team and then you never speak to the same person again.

Some get in. Most get rejected for some reason. I am with a Qantas group company so maybe that is why my application was derailed. I understand that despite a Qantas mainline MOU, none of those pilots has enough experience for Jetstar.

As for fleet, I hear everyone goes onto the 320, there are THOUSANDS of pilots ready to launch the 330 but they just haven't been employed yet.

It seems to be a very hit and miss recruitment scene run by rank amateurs and kids, most of whom are consultants.

If you do get in, good luck because you could really make it work for yourself and if you don't get in you'll probably be relieved not to have anything to do with such an unusual and politically driven enterprise.

What concerns me is that this is obviously the future for Qantas flying and employment. Dixon might want to check that he can crew this thing before advertising too much about what Jetstar will be doing as he might end up with egg on his face when he realises that they've only got 100 pilots who made it through selection.

Good luck
Rant over
GUARD:ok:

Sonny Hammond
1st Oct 2006, 03:39
Rant? Rant implies personal opinion jaded by some specific agenda.

Your post merely laid our the facts relating to Jetstar, its recruitment process and working for the company.

A good, informative post, I say.

Sonny (experienced enough for command at QF, but not a Jetstar.)

max autobrakes
21st Oct 2006, 02:09
You just gotta love all that "CHOICE" out there don't you. :)

cunninglinguist
21st Oct 2006, 04:00
..........and now for the positive side Healy, and to try and answer your questions.

I believe that if you have passed the phsyco test in last 2 years you don't have to do it again, if you failed it in the last 2 years you wont get in the front door at jet*. If you have A330 C&T you may slip through the net:confused:

I thought the warm fuzzy STAR type interview was a nice change from " Mr.Smith, you've been flying a King Air for the last 5 years, so can you explain the advantages of a laminar flow wing, and also explain how the centre of pressure moves rearward as the fuel burns from the main centre tank of a B777, and by the way, please name the 7 modes of EGPWS and quickly go through the limits for each one "
I hate study and very little was needed for the Jet* interview.

You get the choice of 330/320 if you have 330 time ( and then the choice will probably be 330 ), even guys with widebody, non A330 time have gone to the 320.

Typical roster depends alot on basing, Mel base, work your butt off ( = plenty overtime ) but generally get plenty of time off due to high stick hour days. The pessimists will say you need the time off just to recover..........it aint that bad.

33500 for the endorsement ( plus put yourself up somewhere ) and you will get paid on or before you check out at Alteon, depending on the date.

Yes, everyone does seem pretty " pumped " another trait I am not used to in a workmate in recent times.

Have worked for some pretty dodgy operators ( no not just GA ) and RELATIVE to what I'm used to, Jet* is ok.

Hope this helps

Condition lever
21st Oct 2006, 04:20
Sonny - do you actually have a command at QF???
I would be very surprised.

Your previous insightful posts such as:
"Sure, a few mainliners will jump seat for a promotion, but most will not. Why would you take the pay and conditions cut?"
Indicate why you don't have a command at Jetstar.

By your own definintion the majority of your posts qualify as "rants".

In reply to HEALY:
1. Yes, but I would agree that it depends upon who you talk to.
2. Jetstar is recruiting FOs for the A320. The are only recruiting C&T CPs for the 330 at this time. If you don't have previous airbus time you would be unlikely to go to the 330 initially.
3. An average month may have 1 or 2 overnights (to achieve EPs/sims etc) and 9 or 10 days off guarenteed (but effectively 12-14 including STBY)

Cheers

Supercala
21st Oct 2006, 05:05
How much emphasis do JQ place on internal references when inviting people in for an interview?

I dont know anyone within the company but it seems this could be a big help given that they ask if you know any current JQ staff on the application form.

Will the fact that i dont have these contacts affect my chances of an interview?

Apophis
22nd Oct 2006, 08:43
It seems to be a very hit and miss recruitment scene run by rank amateurs and kids, most of whom are consultants.
:eek: what a shock that news is