PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Rating...how to fly on a seaplane??

Aussie_Pilot
30th Sep 2006, 17:44
Hi everybody

I need some informations about flying on a seaplane as Cessna Caravan..

- Do I need an endorsment?

- How much does it cost approximatly and where in Sydney is possible to do?

- What are the minumum requirements?

Thanks to everyone

Captain Starlight
1st Oct 2006, 00:05
Aussie_pilot

Welcome to water wings.

In Oz, there are two types of water ratings.

(a) floating hull, such as the Grumman range of water aircraft and the venerable Lake Amphibian.

(b) float plane, the more prolific variety, with attached floats, includes various Cessna singles etc.

Expect about 5 hrs for the initial water wings, which ever type or path you choose. I suspect floats is the way you will go.

There are some things you might consider first.

In NSW and Qld, you will need a recreational boat licence (you're going to be playing with a boat of more than 10hp and capable of more than 10kts!).

Not sure about the other states, but sure likely to have similar rules.

After you get the boat licence, buy a book on float flying, such as W Frey's "How to Fly Floats". most aviation suppliers have stocks of this and other approved textbooks.

Next, look for Bill Lane, possibly Coff's or Port Maquarie, one of the best instructors for a good initial grounding.

Also contact the Seaplane Pilots association / Phil Dunhuntly for guidance.

go for it!

DeltaSix
1st Oct 2006, 00:36
Howdy everyone,

While on this subject, would anyone know where I can get a Beaver endorsement in Bankstown or close to it? Is this aircraft recommendable for first timers on floats ?

Thanks

D6

disco_air
1st Oct 2006, 04:07
Steve Krug at Seawing Airways will do you a beaver 'endorsement' in Sydney (ex bankstown). Very thorough training, however not cheap!

Best suggestion for an initial float endorsement is Bill Lane, who last I heard ran a C172XP and C206 on floats. Does the endorsement in around 7 hours flying. Beavers can be a bit more forgiving in some conditions so its better to learn on a lighter a/c to appreciate the stuff that can kill you, or at least get you very wet :ouch: :p .

Same goes for doing an initial in a Caravan, in addition to also being expensive.

Floats are great, you'll love it. :ok:

...disco

bushy
1st Oct 2006, 04:52
My wife and I went for a joyride in a C206 floatplane in Hawai a few years ago, and I remember the pilot explaining (and demonstrating) that he lifted one float out of the water halfway through the takeoff run, to reduce water drag, and allow the aircraft to accelerate some more and achieve liftoff speed .
He certainly knew what he was doing. He had 29,000 hours, and about 27,000 of that was in seaplanes. Apparently someone had more seaplane hours than that, and he was trying to beat the total.
That is what I call real experience, the like of which is very rare in Australia.